• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, Unity remake now playable from start to finish

A recent update on the open source fan remake of Daggerfall has stated the game is playable from start to end, although it isn't entirely feature complete yet.

That’s right! The main story quest in Daggerfall Unity is now completely playable from start to end. I’ve spent the last couple of months playing through the story quest, building out engine support, and fixing all the major bugs I could find. It’s true this game still has a distance to travel (spell system is next major journey) but this is a huge milestone in the project’s life cycle. It’s no longer fair to say Daggerfall Unity “isn’t playable yet”, that’s not even close to accurate anymore. And thanks to regular contributors like Nystul, Allofich, Hazelnut, and Lypyl, some of the later features on the roadmap are building out ahead of schedule.

The quest system has consumed around a year of my development time to bring to this point. It represents the single largest group of features in the project so far, and drives almost every other gameplay system forwards. I feel confident in saying the magic system probably won’t be anywhere near as challenging. And once we pass that milestone, everything else is on the downhill run.

levitate-on.png

Download it here.

Dunno about you guys but DF being one of my favourite games ever, I'm gonna give this a shot this weekend.

mnannola

Daggerfall to me is still one of the most revolutionary games ever made. Seeing the scope of the world for the first time when you open the map and realize how far you walk in 10 minutes was mind blowing to me.

I really wish there were game companies out there that stayed on the Daggerfall path of using procedural generation to make huge believable worlds. It's been what, 20+ years since it came out? By now we should have Daggerfall sized worlds with massive variety of town looks and sizes, politics, wars, career paths, etc.

No Mans Sky, Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen seem kind of on this path, but not much on the way of believable procedural cities.

Red5

Might give it a go and see what I missed, I skipped it back in 1997, and went with Might and Magic 6. Morrowind is what got me into TES.

Sentenza

Someday the similar project going on with Ultima Underworld will finally be completed as well and that will be a cause of celebration all around the world.

Krathoon

I played some Daggerfall Unity today.
I learned this:
1. You are not really meant to fight anything in Privateer's Hold. Just run to the exit like a little girl.
2. Commoners are jackasses. They don't respect you unless you speak bluntly.

StereoVsn

One of these days I need to fire up Daggerfall Unity again. Used to love the OG game bugs and all back in the day (with lots of mods of course).

Last edited:

Krathoon

The more I read about Daggerfall, the more I get annoyed. What a buggy ass game. The dungeon exteriors don't even match the damn dungeons.
There is a mod to fix that.

Top Bottom