• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elephant poachers shot dead by rangers at wildlife reserve in Kenya

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...serve-mount-elgon-national-park-a8388246.html
]
Wildlife troopers had been on a routine patrol at Mount Elgon National Park, which straddles the border of Kenya and Uganda, when they encountered a gang of five men last Thursday.

The rangers, from the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) exchanged fire with the poachers, who were reportedly armed with AK-47 rifles.

Troopers killed three of the group during the shoot-out, while two more suspects were able to escape with minor injuries.

Poaching has declined sharply in Kenya since reaching a peak in 2012, but issues around the illegal hunting activity still persist.

“More officers have been deployed to conduct regular security patrols at the park and ensure wildlife is protected from the poachers,” he said.

So yeah it seems like Kenya is no longer playing around with the poachers as they recently passed a law that will give poachers the death penalty

manfestival

Wasnt it where in India you are allowed to kill poachers? I remember seeing that some time back after some almost extinct tiger was poached.

TrainedRage

Banned
"Don't mind me guys im just hunting this here Elephant with my full auto AK47."

***sniped by the Kenyan Elephant Ranger Brigade from 2 miles away***

:LOL:(y)

Melubas

Good job as far as I'm concerned, we need to protect endangered animals. I do wish there was some way to stop the poachers that didn't involve killing though.

GeekyDad

Not sure what's scarier, that this happened, or that no one here seems to question whether or not the report is true. Not saying the penalty for poaching such an important creature shouldn't be severe, but perhaps at least a trial? Just sayin'... How do we know this wasn't merely a venge murder or the like?

Not sure what's scarier, that this happened, or that no one here seems to question whether or not the report is true. Not saying the penalty for poaching such an important creature shouldn't be severe, but perhaps at least a trial? Just sayin'... How do we know this wasn't merely a venge murder or the like?
It was a shoot out right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I did a camping safari in Tanzania (they're neighbors and their conservation practices are similar afaik). The poaching situation is very legit and serious business. There's a lot of tourism going on, and the safari guides are in constant radio contact with each other and with the anti-poaching squads, and you have to pass through a lot of military checkpoints and sort out the appropriate paperwork to go into conservation zones legitimately.

Healthy skepticism is fine and encouraged, but there is nothing suggesting foul play here. You're not in one of these areas with AK-47s on accident, and the conservation protectorate folks I met were serious soldierly folks, not vigilante murderers.

GeekyDad

I did a camping safari in Tanzania (they're neighbors and their conservation practices are similar afaik). The poaching situation is very legit and serious business. There's a lot of tourism going on, and the safari guides are in constant radio contact with each other and with the anti-poaching squads, and you have to pass through a lot of military checkpoints and sort out the appropriate paperwork to go into conservation zones legitimately.

Healthy skepticism is fine and encouraged, but there is nothing suggesting foul play here. You're not in one of these areas with AK-47s on accident, and the conservation protectorate folks I met were serious soldierly folks, not vigilante murderers.

I see. Thanks for the reply.

Michele

you.
Tch...It's not the 90s or 00s anymore, it's this 10s that we are living in.
I mean...Murdering three peoples? This has to be a tragedy, I have never seen it happen! :(

Top Bottom