• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank

Moff

"go pick some healing plants for me, near the lake"

ah, an entry-level fetch quest.

WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE MONSTERS OMG

this quest is the perfect example for the PB early game design.
but yeah, some people will try to kill that slug beast for hours and then refund.

Humdinger

I'm surprised at how interesting the exploration feels.

Movement and combat are not very good, but the rest of the game appeals to me. It's an acquired taste.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The movement is too sluggish, which gets annoying in extended play sessions. The movement in the Gothic games and Risens was much more snappy.

I found a pair of sunglasses here, near Goliet.
https://i.imgur.com/Zpe2XOX.jpg

Huh. Well it took some time to make it out that way, since I'm waaaay under leveled for that part of the world. When I did get there I had a spider trying to kill me, and then there was some Forlorn creature just stalking the house room to room. Duras must have been KO'd like 5 times while I tried to loot everything.

No sunglasses - but I did get the 'Ring of Combat' which added health and damage output so all is well.

In less happy news, I think I bugged out a quest. Related to Bertram in Goliet:
I've got the quest to find the Cleric spy, and I've already informed Angrim that it is Bertram. In speaking to Bertram he asked not to kill him but to talk to Rajik who can get him safe passage out. I opted to let him live initially to talk to Rajik and see what she has to say. Well she just completes the quest and makes me feel like a dick about it - so I reloaded and was then going to just kill Betram since I still have that option as a quest. However, whenever I talk to him now he just has one response with no dialogue options to initiate the attack. If I try and just attack him, I get ganged up on by guards. If I wait till the guards are thinned out I can kill him - but then I'm labeled a murderer. I tried to talk to Angrim and he just won't speak to me at all since the game says I'm a 'murderer' now. It looks like my only option is to use Rajik to complete the quest but that's not at all what I actually want to do, but the game just wont give me an option to kill Bertram without being a murderer.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really need to stop reading this thread or else I'll be swayed by the positive impressions to hit that purchase button. I still haven't finished yet with Wardor and AC Origins is on the horizon. I could drop Wardor but I doubt I'll be able to finish this in a week. Sounds like a pretty damn big world to explore, and I tend to explore everything in open world RPGs.

Woe is me.

I have a feeling It's massive. I'm about 18 hours in and just left the area around the first town.

Krakn3Dfx

My favorite thing about the game right now is how dynamic the world feels. As much as people loved Witcher 3, my biggest problem with it was how every npc felt like an actor standing around waiting for my arrival to start the scene. Elex, like the Fallout games, feels alive,a place where people would continue to do their own thing regardless of whether I'm there or not. It's not always 100% but it's close enough.

Ombra

It's such a joke.

The brilliance of Elex is its absolute freedom.
I'm especially impressed with how much maneuverability the jetpack adds. Even if I can't kill most anything, I can still explore ruins, collect cool stuff, and run/fly away from danger. Being under-powered is exciting.

IGN completely missed the point, and that's just sad.

In my opinion, the IGN review is from the perspective of the average gamer, honestly I would make an enemy of any friend I told to buy this game in the state it's in. The combat kills the mass appeal severely.

I really admire Piranha bytes vision but their lack of technical polish holds this back from being the fallout killer it deserves to be. I am holding on to it and keeping up with thread in case a patch that makes combat less tedious drops, but I can't even be mad at ign for being honest about this games appeal to the gamer who is not okay with a lack of polish on its primary combat mechanics, in a 60 dollar title.

Banzai

What are some good early melee weapons? I still use that old axe I found in the beginning and it just won't cut it at all. I only have 20STR/20Con/20Dex, but still 10 points to allocate.

Lucifon

Xbox performance gets abit rough in Goilet :( Hopefully the X update isn't far off.

I spent about a good hour having a 1 on 1 with that guy in the tavern as I had no other conversational abilities to get around it. I KNEW I could beat him though and that feeling was awesome when I finally did. It was a great deep end tutorial for the combat system.

Skill system seems so daunting, I feel like I have to dump a ton of points into anything before I can even improve any skills.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
About 7 - 8 hours in and I'm still using the starter weapon and still doing real fuck all damage :p Just one point of strength off from using a more powerful 2 handed axe.

I forgot how hard PBs games make you work for, well, everything.

Anyone know where I can find a chemistry trainer ? I've got all the required stats, just need to earn a bit more cash and find the trainer and I can then brew my own potions.

Cosmic_Guru

Neo Member
Anyone know where I can find a chemistry trainer ? I've got all the required stats, just need to earn a bit more cash and find the trainer and I can then brew my own potions.

The craft / nefarious arts trainer in Golliat is Alrik, who hangs around near the pub and area round the back of it with the targets.

He was my first conversational subject in town and I think that has kind of influenced my subsequent career path...

For example, I've found a very satisfying (non-lethal) way of removing that pain in the ass guard in the gate.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The craft / nefarious arts trainer in Golliat is Alrik, who hangs around near the pub and area round the back of it with the targets.

He was my first conversational subject in town and I think that has kind of influenced my subsequent career path...

For example, I've found a very satisfying (non-lethal) way of removing that pain in the ass guard in the gate.

Thanks Cosmic! :)

I already spoke to him and didn't even see Chemistry on the list! Obviously wasn't looking very hard!

Also, can I join another faction if I'm currently in one already ? I've joined the Berserkers by accident and tbh I don't want to go with them. Can I just potter along and join the Outlaws when I find them or are you committed once joined ?

dragn

whats the with the small monsters one shotting? not really fun walking to one and doing not even 10% damage per hit to them

also can you still do all the quests in the berserker city when joining another faction?

PnCIa

whats the with the small monsters one shotting? not really fun walking to one and doing not even 10% damage per hit to them

also can you still do all the quests in the berserker city when joining another faction?

Watch this video:

I feel this video explanation of the melee system should be mandatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS2xD9F98Kw

The close combat system is not based on single hits but rather on stringing hits together. You have to get into the right rhythm to do so.
After playing for a couple of hours i have to disagree with those that find the combat shit. Its not as smooth as it could be, but very rewarding once you can competently use the rhythm-based combo-system, manage your stamina and the jetpack together.

I apprechiate that this game is taking me seriously. You have to be really, really carefull and avoid a ton of enemies because dying and reloading is an integral part here.
Did not expect the jetpack to work so well, too. Puts a smile on my face when i can fall into a deep pit, use the jetpack in the last moment and then jetpack myself up again.

Okay, I give up..

Apc34v2.gif

Installing.

Cosmic_Guru

Neo Member
It's SO cheeky of the developer to include an achievement for falling to your death given that the pack lets you descend HUGE distances with a little care, leaving something in the tank for a little uplift just before the end of the drop.

What happens when you do decide to join a faction (and get admitted)? Do all the NPCs somehow divine this fact somehow even if you don't wear any faction specific armour / weapons? I'm keeping all the balls in that air for as long as possible here and I've only just found the Outlaw base, but I'm curious about this.

Moff

all of them except the ones you'd get after joining of course.

First impressions:

Animation seems much improved from Risen 3, and the running movement feels more grounded and less floaty now. I noticed that the trees and grasses are swayed by the wind too. Graphics are nice, but the faces are abysmal. It's also lacking some post-processing effects. Perhaps a reshade preset would do the trick.

Alebelly

First impressions:

Animation seems much improved from Risen 3, and the running movement feels more grounded and less floaty now. I noticed that the trees and grasses are swayed by the wind too. Graphics are nice, but the faces are abysmal. It's also lacking some post-processing effects. Perhaps a reshade preset would do the trick.

haven't tried reshade, let me know, thanks

It runs pretty solid, Im downscaling from 4k to 70%, which looks better than 1440p (might be my imagination) and runs about the same, not using any AA. Also Vsync doesn't work when I select borderless, and I think it might give me another 5-7fps.

Moff

Since it was brought up in reviews a lot I'd like to talk about the companion AI a bit.
I did not notice a lot of screw ups here, I think it's pretty much working as intended.
In fights against enemies the AI will only interfere when either you are hit or when you hit an enemy. This is probably done that way because it would be annoying if the companion would run off as soon as an enemy is in sight.

And the other point, and that is probably why a lot of people think the AI is broken, is that companions will NOT interfere in duel situations. Like when it's just a beatdown or when you provoked a friendly/neutral NPC in dialogue. That triggers a duel and companions will not get involved.

Okay 11 hours in and I just booked it to
Hort
to become a Cleric. It was like a 20 minute walk. I wanted to finally be able to kill something! I look forward to officially starting the game now :)

And the other point, and that is probably why a lot of people think the AI is broken, is that companions will NOT interfere in duel situations. Like when it's just a beatdown or when you provoked a friendly/neutral NPC in dialogue. That triggers a duel and companions will not get involved.

This is annoying a bit since the NPCs are really overpowered and if you dont help them with their quest they attack you and instakill you. For example, (Cleric spoiler)
The intro quest for the cleric's to discover who is selling chems. I found a guy who wanted to cut me into the chem dealing instead of turning him in. I wanted to turn him in but refusing to join him made him kill you instantly as your AI companion just watches. So I was forced to join his drug selling to progress with the clerics.

Alebelly

Since it was brought up in reviews a lot I'd like to talk about the companion AI a bit.
I did not notice a lot of screw ups here, I think it's pretty much working as intended.
In fights against enemies the AI will only interfere when either you are hit or when you hit an enemy. This is probably done that way because it would be annoying if the companion would run off as soon as an enemy is in sight.

Ive had some issues with companion AI, I tend to switch weapons a lot, run for higher ground a lot, and he just becomes frozen for a bit, Sometimes he forgets his routine altogether and just stands there like a statue and I have to kite enemies towards him, then he'll suddenly snap out of it and go to work. Not a big issue really though, most of the time hes just fine. Does more of the killing than Im able to.

The combat suddenly becomes much easier after I learned that I can actually strafe the enemies to dodge most of their attacks like in Souls games lol.

haven't tried reshade, let me know, thanks

It runs pretty solid, Im downscaling from 4k to 70%, which looks better than 1440p (might be my imagination) and runs about the same, not using any AA. Also Vsync doesn't work when I select borderless, and I think it might give me another 5-7fps.

I don't really make my own presets. I usually just install the presets from sfx.thelazy or steam forums, so far I haven't found one that fit my taste. I guess I'll still have to wait until more presets are released.

Damn it stop it! I can't afford this this month :(

evil-laugh.gif

Artdayne

It pisses me off how poorly Elex is reviewing and just the general dismissal of what PB is trying to do with this game because the graphics and animations are not AAA. I'm not taking to task all criticisms of the game, sure there are certainly legitimate gripes to be had. With that said, people have such a fundamental misunderstanding of how this open world is designed and how you are supposed to approach this game.

1. Your character is not jesus christ savior at the beginning of the game, you are a shitheel nobody. Sure, Jax was an Alb commander but he's been drained of all of his Elex so he's powerless and it means very little to the factions that you're actually interacting with. You need to earn the respect of these factions before they will trust you or do anything for you.

2. You need to avoid combat against most of the enemies at the beginning parts of the game. You need to recognize which enemies are a threat to you and which aren't.

3. The melee combat is pretty solid. The combo system that requires perfect timing of abilities and utilizing a power attack as a combo finisher is pretty interesting + the jet pack provides some interesting utility in combat.

4. The choice and consequence in this game is phenomenal. I love the way that quests extend out of longer conversations. You aren't aware that the person has a quest until they start to go into a specific issue that they are dealing with and you have to pick what you say carefully don't just blindly cycle through all the dialogue options either.

5. The way this game handles gear/loot is among the best in the genre. Everything is hand placed and the differences in a weapon upgrade are significant.

I mean, it doesn't affect my personal enjoyment of the game that its reviewing so low but the game deserves to be lauded for a lot of its design decisions. If the rest of the game is anything like the 20+ hours I've played so far, this game is going to finish very highly on my GOTY list, quite possibly surpassing DOS 2 but it's too early to say yet.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've gotten pretty good at the combat, I can hold my own against pretty harsh creatures that can take me down in 2-3 hits using a combo of parry and dodge. I never even thought of using the jet pack, I'm an idiot. Using that in addition is going to make it even more fun.

Jag

Loving the game, but there are some parts that annoy me. Like the 'zerkers hate tech, but Duras is like "Hey, I'll join you. Let me go get my jetpack. Just don't tell anyone" As he is zooming through the city. Although,
you eventually do realize that there is terrible hypocrisy among the 'zerkers regarding tech.

Also, the zerkers hate Clerics, but they have no problem with my Cleric companion running through town. I would have preferred if they attacked him on sight, forcing me to leave him at camp. It would have been much more immersive that way.

Alebelly

I don't really make my own presets. I usually just install the presets from sfx.thelazy or steam forums, so far I haven't found one that fit my taste. I guess I'll still have to wait until more presets are released.

Oh, yeah, I've only use ReShade to inject SMAA and/or LumaSharpen

2 hours in, now I understand why they set the auto-save on 3 minutes by default lol.

I guess I'll set it back to default from 15 minutes. Lessons learned.

It pisses me off how poorly Elex is reviewing and just the general dismissal of what PB is trying to do with this game because the graphics and animations are not AAA. I'm not taking to task all criticisms of the game, sure there are certainly legitimate gripes to be had. With that said, people have such a fundamental misunderstanding of how this open world is designed and how you are supposed to approach this game.

1. Your character is not jesus christ savior at the beginning of the game, you are a shitheel nobody. Sure, Jax was an Alb commander but he's been drained of all of his Elex so he's powerless and it means very little to the factions that you're actually interacting with. You need to earn the respect of these factions before they will trust you or do anything for you.

2. You need to avoid combat against most of the enemies at the beginning parts of the game. You need to recognize which enemies are a threat to you and which aren't.

3. The melee combat is pretty solid. The combo system that requires perfect timing of abilities and utilizing a power attack as a combo finisher is pretty interesting + the jet pack provides some interesting utility in combat.

4. The choice and consequence in this game is phenomenal. I love the way that quests extend out of longer conversations. You aren't aware that the person has a quest until they start to go into a specific issue that they are dealing with and you have to pick what you say carefully don't just blindly cycle through all the dialogue options either.

5. The way this game handles gear/loot is among the best in the genre. Everything is hand placed and the differences in a weapon upgrade are significant.

I mean, it doesn't affect my personal enjoyment of the game that its reviewing so low but the game deserves to be lauded for a lot of its design decisions. If the rest of the game is anything like the 20+ hours I've played so far, this game is going to finish very highly on my GOTY list, quite possibly surpassing DOS 2 but it's too early to say yet.

Better than DOS2? Interesting.

digging into this after work....

controller or kb/m?

Controller has been pretty solid so far. I'd recommend it if you prefer playing that way.

Alebelly

I wish I could just map Quick Save to the Y button, which is unused, instead you have to go to menu then press Y button

Sendero

So the teleporter is located here:

pTMXAXB.jpg

But I haven't found the glasses that Sendero mentioned.

Can you explain a bit where those are located on the farm Sendero?
Sure. From the teleporter, turn around towards North-West: You should see some stone stairscases. Follow them, and you should see a couple of small/incomplete wood tents. One of them has a wood ramp and at the top there is a chest with those glasses. It's in the area before the cliff, where there are a couple of tombs. (In your screen, t's basically at north of the mouse pointer)

Don't recall if you need Lockpick lvl 1 or not (I believe not, but I had the Adventurer's Amulet that you find in the area where the game starts, so either way, didn't have any problem to open it).

I can post a screenshoot later, if needed.

Oh, and another 5 tips:
-In the middle of the lake at East of Goliet (where you have to collect 8 mature plants), there is a small well right where that scarecrow weird creature is patrolling. Inside, you will find a Legendary sword stuck in a rock (with high requirements).

You very obviously don't need to kill the creature. Just make it follow you, and lose it, since you should be able to outrun it.

-At the South of the Fort (outlaws city), if you look in the map and zoom in, you should see 3 circle-shaped structures (Biomes). In the west one, you will find an NPC and a neat Chainsaber (1h sword) in a table, with 31/31 requirements of Strength+Dexterity, which is not too much. If you are careful, you should be able to get it early on without too much problems. I'm still rocking it.

-Also, at South-west of the Fort, there is a Teleporter (named Old Windfarm): At the south of the teleporter, there is an abandoned military area with some enemies inside. But if you are careful and fly onto the roof, you will find another Chest with a Scrap Scavenger shirt (which has -1 of armor than the Hunter armor, but it looks more modern). You definitively need Lockpick, but don't recall if 1 or 2 (think it's just 1).

-Inside, on the South-western part of the Domed city (the one in the screen above), there is a patrolled (forbidden) area with lot of boxes. If you enter flying, and are stealthy, you should find a Laser Blaster with 22/28 requirements for INT/DEX next to a bed. It apparently has poor damage (less than the bow you find early on), but it's free and you can get a lot of ammo there as well.

-If you fly around --outside-- of Domed city, there is a King's Sorrel plant, which if I recall correctly, can be used to create a stats increase potion. It's the first one I find. There is also a Golden Whisper plant at the top of a tall rock near the small camp ruins (north-west, next to a truck, I think). It's easy to see at night, since it shines bright.

So far, I have only used money to purchase a stamina ring, to enter The Fort, and to pay for training basically (I like to use weapons I find).
Haven't found a shield yet, so I'm thinking to purchase one from the Traveler merchant outside of the Domed city.

A friend brought his copy of the game and we're playing it on my Xbox One now. What I really appreciate is the extra close camera and that it stays that way even if you go into combat.

I don't know what it is but with several games the camera is placed too far away from the character and I don't like that. ND did that perfectly with TLOU and I wish CDPR had a option like that in Witcher 3 as well. To me it's more immersive I guess especially when walking around a town or just nature to have the camera very close to the character.

Alebelly

A friend brought his copy of the game and we're playing it on my Xbox One now. What I really appreciate is the extra close camera and that it stays that way even if you go into combat.

I don't know what it is but with several games the camera is placed too far away from the character and I don't like that. ND did that perfectly with TLOU and I wish CDPR had a option like that in Witcher 3 as well. To me it's more immersive I guess especially when walking around a town or just nature to have the camera very close to the character.

R3 button has 3 different fovs

R3 button has 3 different fovs

Yep I know. That's why I made the comment :)

I already am digging this game world and this is right from the start. I already know I'm gonna put ridiculous hours into this one. Just not sure yet if I should go out and buy it myself. I mean One X launches soon, chances are the patch for Witcher 3 will be there as well and I still need to finish that game. I was planning on starting all over with that.

And you really can only play one RPG at a time.

It's also cool you can click the right thumb stick and change from 3 views, close medium and far.

Top Bottom