• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank

Moff

Jank is mostly a question of budget and polish.
You can blame PB for aiming too high because they might be too small a developer for huge open world games.
Their biggest problem is combat, which is odd, because Gothic 2 and Risen 1 had pretty good combat. After the Risen 2 streamlining they never seemed to manage to get it right again.

I didn't realise this was out so soon. I'll wait for impressions before jumping in, but a good combat focused RPG sounds pretty good right about now tbh

Hmmm, GoG or Steam? GoG or Steam? Which to choose...

I've watched a couple of videos of the early start of the game and yup it's a PB game and i can't wait to get my mitts on it :)

I didn't realise this was out so soon. I'll wait for impressions before jumping in, but a good combat focused RPG sounds pretty good right about now tbh

If this is anything like the Risen/Gothic series, which I imagine it is, combat is by far the worst part. I would call it an Exploration focused RPG.

If this is anything like the Risen/Gothic series, which I imagine it is, combat is by far the worst part. I would call it an Exploration focused RPG.

Except you're wrong, as are most of the people in the world regarding their combat. Watch this for some more insight into their combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1pe24yQqg&t=1m35s

It was only trully bad in Gothic 3 and Risen 2. The rest of their games are far more interesting and exciting than superficialy related by the interwebs.

Does it have the most crucial features of their previous games? Namely unlimited inventory space and the ability to loot everything that's not nailed down without any consequence?

Except you're wrong, as are most of the people in the world regarding their combat. Watch this for some more insight into their combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1pe24yQqg&t=1m35s

It was only trully bad in Gothic 3 and Risen 2. The rest of their games are far more interesting and exciting than superficialy related by the interwebs.

Nah I played Risen 3 a few months ago and loved it, but the combat was horrible. Well I was a mage so it was as bit better than melee but I was also so overpowered about 5 hours in.

mindatlarge

Nice thread. I'm interested in this game, as it sounds right up my alley. Any game with a jet pack gets bonus points from me.

OmegaDL50

Looking forward to this.

You would think the mixture of various settings would make for an artistic and thematic nightmare.

But the concept of a Meteor crash resulting people fighting to reclaim the old ways and people using the ELEX to advance existing tech just sounds really interesting.

I'll probably join the Berserker faction because I like the Medieval aspect, then in a subsequent playthrough do the polar opposite with the super tech race with the Plasma Rifles.

Nah I played Risen 3 a few months ago and loved it, but the combat was horrible. Well I was a mage so it was as bit better than melee but I was also so overpowered about 5 hours in.

watch the video, you responded too fast to have been able to watch it. The combat is actually teriffic in most of their games, but its different than most games, gamers arent acustomed to it and it requires a particular way of playing. And it evolves continuously as you play, you dont have access to everyting from the start.

Its a common belief their games have bad combat but they do not. They have fantastic combat actually in regards to Gothic 1,2 and Risen 1.

Moff

Does it have the most crucial features of their previous games? Namely unlimited inventory space and the ability to loot everything that's not nailed down without any consequence?

there is no inventory limit and you can loot tons of stuff in the world, as usual.
however there will be consequences for stealing, which has always been the case as well. Elex has a very sophisticated crime system, if you refuse to pay fines for stealing you cannot trade with a faction anymore and if you continue to commit crimes the faction will turn hostile.

it should be noted, though, that unlike in Gothic you will not be able to loot the gear enemies are wearing because of balance reasons.

watch the video, you responded too fast to have been able to watch it. The combat is actually teriffic in most of their games, but its different than most games, gamers arent acustomed to it and it requires a particular way of playing. And it evolves continuously as you play, you dont have access to everyting from the start.

Its a common belief their games have bad combat but they do not. They have fantastic combat actually in regards to Gothic 1,2 and Risen 1.

It does look slightly better. I am easy though, I loved Risen 3 and already bought Elex.

Ricker

Great OT...Not day one for me but getting this for sure down the line,loved Risen 1 and the Gothic games,although I never finished the latter...

This is not a knock on Elex but might as well wait for the Pro or X1X patches before starting this anyway.Looking forward to reviews later and impressions in here tomorrow when the game launches.

Kaname

More than the combat actually "being" bad I think it's a mix of bad/clunky animations and little response/feed on enemy hit that make it look super janky and unintuitive. When I first started Risen I thought it was complete garbage but after a while it turned out to be way more complex and elaborated that it seemed. Problem is it still looked like crap.

Lucifon

Very interested in the reviews for this. Didn't realise South Park hit tomorrow, I thought it was Friday so I was going to hop into Elex for a few days of it but now my time would be split between the two I might hold off on it.

I kinda despise that. Jank is not good. They have been stagnating and are not willing to get better at what they do.
On the gnome doll can you point to where the jank touched you? ;)

cAIb6tx.png

Thanks for the great OT Moff.

Man, I hope my PS4 copy turns up tomorrow. Jank all over my face!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Curious for impressions I stopped playing these after the double punch of gothic 3 and risen 1. The main draw for me for these games of the guild fantasy and how your allegiance really changes things for you in the game that was so well implemented in gothic 1/2 felt like it was lost in those two follow ups.

Audioboxer

On the gnome doll can you point to where the jank touched you? ;)

cAIb6tx.png

Thanks for the great OT Moff.

Man, I hope my PS4 copy turns up tomorrow. Jank all over my face!

Jaffar is one of the best characters in a game

GdkUfYF.png

You won't see an NPC like that in a well-polished Bioware or Bethesda game.

I hope Elex has some riots of NPCs.

Zeel

Is the "From" in the OT title written with a capital letter purposely, or am I reading too much into it?
Either way, great title.

Artdayne

I can't believe how much my interest in this game has been swayed in just the past day or so. I was completely indifferent on it given how Risen 2 and 3 turned out but learning more about the various factions, and seeing that some of the best elements of previous Piranha Bytes classics are in the game, I am eagerly awaiting the release. I've always liked the combat in Gothic 1 & 2 + Risen 1, the combat in this looks really interesting based on the video that was posted.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I can't believe how much my interest in this game has been swayed in just the past day or so. I was completely indifferent on it given how Risen 2 and 3 turned out but learning more about the various factions, and seeing that some of the best elements of previous Piranha Bytes classics are in the game, I am eagerly awaiting the release. I've always liked the combat in Gothic 1 & 2 + Risen 1, the combat in this looks really interesting based on the video that was posted.

What swayed your opinion? The combat unfortunately still looks more like Risen 2&3 than the Gothics and Risen 1...

StereoVsn

I kinda despise that. Jank is not good. They have been stagnating and are not willing to get better at what they do.
Yeah, pretty much this. Gothic 2 was pretty amazing for its time and really still holds up. Risen 1 was alright but not as good. Everything else pretty much sucked.

The thing is that from the sounds of it the game design is pretty much the same, UX/UI are bad and combat is iffy. I just don't have the trust in the dev to buy this till a lot more reviews and impressions come through. This is not a game that 2 hours of Steam refund could help beyond egregarious tech issues.

So wait and see is going to be my strategy. It's not like this a lack of games to play. It's not even the cost it's more the time commitment that I am loath to spend the hours on when my backlog is full of great games.

Can't wait to start playing this, but also would rather wait as it seems to be the best option. I still haven't gotten around to playing Risen 2 and 3 either so maybe I'll play them first since I really enjoyed Risen 1 (know 2 is suppose to be hot garbage). Every time I was about to start them I played through Gothic 1 or 2 again instead though...

So no Pro support? Did they mention they're going to release a patch?

I've been eyeing this game as my "don't feel like playing anything else right now" go-to, but it would be nice to know when it will have Pro support first.

May have to put this in my wishlist for the time being.

Moff

So no Pro support? Did they mention they're going to release a patch?

I've been eyeing this game as my "don't feel like playing anything else right now" go-to, but it would be nice to know when it will have Pro support first.

May have to put this in my wishlist for the time being.

not at launch but they have said in interviews they are working on it

Artdayne

What swayed your opinion? The combat unfortunately still looks more like Risen 2&3 than the Gothics and Risen 1...

I don't know if that's true about the combat, I mean the only way to say for sure is to get our hands on the game but in the very least the diversity of weapons and systems in Elex really make it stand out. We'll see how important timing is for melee attacks, I hope that's important for chaining abilities.

I just didn't know very much about the game but after watching about a 2 hour stream, watching some videos on youtube, reading through the OT etc it sounds quite interesting. All the factions sound pretty great, I love the fact that your character starts out super weak early on (a harsh world with zero level scaling), that you have to earn the trust of whatever faction you decide on over time. There seems to be a lot of different environments in the game. The wanted system in this game is quite complex too.

I don't even know why but that scene at 0:35 of him touching the car with one hand when running near it really impressed me.

Oh that is actually a nice touch. Reminds me of Tomb Raider where Lara would do that as well and of course Uncharted.

As for the combat, I do recall seeing a video where it seemed you still need to time attacks too. Hope this was the case because I liked that.

PB and Larian are 2 parts of the holy trinity of Euro RPG devs. It's amazing we got games from both within a month. If only cd projekt releasedanything this year

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Oh that is actually a nice touch. Reminds me of Tomb Raider where Lara would do that as well and of course Uncharted.

As for the combat, I do recall seeing a video where it seemed you still need to time attacks too. Hope this was the case because I liked that.

Yeah you still need to time attacks but the system is still more like Risen 2 and 3; the roll is still there instead of the short dodge from the Gothics and Risen 1, the light and heavy attacks also make a return which are again from Risen 2 and 3... The combat in the Gothics and Risen 1 was more about carefully blocking/parrying/dodging and striking at specific times based on the enemy, each enemy had a different pattern that you had to learn. In Risen 2 and 3 the combat became more about overwhelming the opponents with a string of attacks in a combo and mashing basically, so much so that in Risen 2, dodging wasn't even in the game until a patch after the game's release.

Jag

Was going to post a youtube too. Describing him doesn't do it justice. Makes me want to play Risen 2 again.

PB and Larian are 2 parts of the holy trinity of Euro RPG devs. It's amazing we got games from both within a month. If only cd projekt releasedanything this year

Amen. Although we may get Seven this year. I didn't even realize that I loved Euro RPGs so much. Can't stand Japanese ones though. Haven't found a single one I like, including Dark Souls like.

Top Bottom