• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous (Xbox One) full game release date: 10/6/2015

From the latest Newsletter:

We aim to release Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One on 6 October 2015 for $37.49 in the US, £29.99 in the UK and €37.49 in Europe. This is the final release price, but remember, you can pick up the game at a discount price on the Xbox Store now as part of the GPP, which will automatically update for free to the full game upon final release.

Currently, the game is in Early Access via the Game Preview program on X1 and costs $30 right now. If you buy it now, you get the full game on Oct 6th as a free upgrade.

Description of the game from Braben himself:

Elite: Dangerous is the fourth in long series of space games going all the way back to 1984.
You are given a small starship, and a small amount of money, and you can do what you like. Trade, pirate, bounty-hunt, assassinate, explore your way across a truly giant galaxy - a 1:1 scale model of the real Milky Way, with all the stars in the night sky in the game.

Other AMA details for X1:
  • On release, the X1 universe will be synced with the PC. This doesn't mean that you can crossplay, but it means that your actions (there is a LOT of background simulation involved in Elite), discoveries, etc. will be shared across the platforms.
  • They are looking into extending the trial length of the Game Preview
  • Game Preview sales have met expecations
  • Game Preview owners (that is, those who paid $30 for the preview, not just tried the free trial) will get an exclusive reward for participation
  • Not sure if Lifetime Season pass, or the Season Pass itself, is coming to X1
  • Horizons is for sure coming to X1, but sounds like after the PC release (which is Holiday 2016 season--Nov/Dec); he says "not for a while yet I'm afraid"
  • He thinks having a cross-platform season pass would be a good idea to implement in the future, but it's "quite a challenge"
  • PC Beta test program (basically, early access to test features) is coming to X1
  • You might be able to use purchased paint jobs from PC on your X1
  • There will "probably" be some kind of account transfer between X1 and PC
  • When the full game is released, you'll lose your ships/loadouts from the Game Preview, but will be reimbursed and can keep your credit balance. Ranks, including CQC ranks and Prestige, should be preserved. First discoveries are NOT preserved.
  • They'll "look at" mod support (voice commands, cockpit/UI colors, etc.) in X1 but it's difficult--no promises
  • Elite X1 controller should work fine with the game
  • He would like to have the ability to use actual joysticks, other than the X1 gamepad, with Elite X1; he suspects they will come with time, as how Guitar Hero/Rock Band had their own "controllers"
  • Headtracking via Kinect is not currently on roadmap
You can also try the game for free for an hour via the Game Preview. Unfortunately, you can only do the trial missions, which can easily take an hour on their own and also barely scratch the surface of the game's content. So, you may also want to check out some of these channels for good Elite vids:

Isinona: no speaking, just text on screen as he plays, but THE best example of someone who is an insanely talented pilot and able to create his own narratives when interacting with other players. Each video is basically a short documentary of his exploits (he often tracks down Wanted players to hunt) and pretty enthralling to watch
Kornelius Briedis: Gives lots of "under the hood" looks at game mechanics, ships, etc.
ObsidianAnt: Typically focuses on exploration in Elite; has lots of gorgeous videos of his exploration, but also dabbles in combat and trading
SquidofLove: Like Kornelius, he does a bit of everything on his channel, but focuses often on ship reviews and game updates

Related links/threads
Elite: Dangerous OT
Neo Galactic Adventure Force player group
Elite: Horizons compiled information

For information on what is coming in Elite: Horizons, check this thread of compiled info.

enewtabie

I just bought this game last week after looking at a bunch of youtube videos. Still figuring it all out. Especially the 3 types of travel(sub light, supercruise and Hyperspace I think?
Been a lot of fun so far, but I haven't been able to get into a QCQ match yet.

I'm a space game noob but bought the $30 pass after watching a few let's play videos on YouTube.

I havent picked it up in a while because i was getting frustrated with the controls and lack of "things to do". Half of me feels like i wasted $30... the other have is really intrigued and waiting on finishing my home theater before playing it on there! (Got supercruise - ftl jump is going to be amazing on a 128" screen with 7.2 using 15" subs!!!)

Now... should i expect "more" in the full game? I feel like Star Citizen (havent played just seen/read about) has much more to do in the game... or not...i could be totally wrong.

I'm a space game noob but bought the $30 pass after watching a few let's play videos on YouTube.

I havent picked it up in a while because i was getting frustrated with the controls and lack of "things to do". Half of me feels like i wasted $30... the other have is really intrigued and waiting on finishing my home theater before playing it on there! (Got supercruise - ftl jump is going to be amazing on a 128" screen with 7.2 using 15" subs!!!)

Now... should i expect "more" in the full game? I feel like Star Citizen (havent played just seen/read about) has much more to do in the game... or not...i could be totally wrong.

My first question would be, how long did you play and what did you do during that time? I'm tempted to say there's a lot more for you to do, but I don't really know what you've done.

Bsigg12

Who in God's name asked "Will the Elite Controller work with the game?"

I don't understand the mindset of some people.

To be fair, they should have asked if there would be any special support for the game in the Elite App for when you make the profile. Being able to dedicate the rear paddles to specific functions that require you to normally open a menu would be great.

Pricing just announced! Pretty surprised at this:

We aim to release Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One on 6 October 2015 for $37.49 in the US, £29.99 in the UK and €37.49 in Europe. This is the final release price, but remember, you can pick up the game at a discount price on the Xbox Store now as part of the GPP, which will automatically update for free to the full game upon final release.

Akronis

This is Elite's biggest problem.

It's just a huge grind. The world is a mile world and a centimeter deep. I played it a whole bunch through the beta on PC and although the visuals and audio are fantastic, the game itself doesn't offer much.

I'm hoping with the Horizons expansion and some more gameplay variety, maybe faction gameplay that actually matters, and some real meaningful background simulation, more ship/weapon/equipment variety, we'll have something even better.

FYI, the first batch of Player Groups (basically, player-created factions in-game) are going to be in the Beta soon and sound like they'll go live with 1.4.

Small but important steps towards creating a galaxy that feels alive. Our GAF group will (hopefully) be in the next wave!

The Llama

This is Elite's biggest problem.

It's just a huge grind. The world is a mile world and a centimeter deep. I played it a whole bunch through the beta on PC and although the visuals and audio are fantastic, the game itself doesn't offer much.

I'm hoping with the Horizons expansion and some more gameplay variety, maybe faction gameplay that actually matters, and some real meaningful background simulation, more ship/weapon/equipment variety, we'll have something even better.
I've been mildly interested in picking this up on the PC for a while but yeah I've always gotten the impression that it's kinda shallow. Feels like all you do is trade and kill pirates. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Top Bottom