• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elizabeth is pointless outside of story scenes in Bioshock Infinite

J.W.Crazy

The Columbian authorities are explicitly instructed to capture Liz, so it makes sense they'd ignore her in favour of taking down Booker first. Fitzroy expresses interest in making use of both Booker and Lizzie in a voxophone from quite early in the game (edit: just checked the transcript and she only mentions the false shephard), though I can't remember if she eventually tells the Vox to kill both Booker and Liz in the factory, or just Booker. In any case, it makes sense that Booker is the immediate threat in combat, so even the Vox would target him first, though they could've done with some acknowledgement of Liz's existence.

Why not just have them say something though? It doesn't really make sense for there to be no mention of her. "Don't hurt the girl!" at the start of a firefight, "Give us the girl", "We just want the Girl", during combat? It's simple but goes a long way toward making it feel like a living breathing game world. Elizabeth is a major part of the Fitzroy storyline but she doesn't even get mentioned by her? I don't think Slate mentions her either. Outside of Comstock and a few scripted interactions she seems invisible to the rest of the game world. Why would Lady Comstock ignore her? That whole section is about their relationship and hate for each other why is she attacking Booker but not Elizabeth? That doesn't make sense narratively or mechanically.

It's kind of disappointing that even for a developer that has tried to address and explain ludonarrative dissonance to such an extent as Levine there's such glaringly obvious issues with mostly simple solutions. Elizabeth is such an integral part of the story but in terms of gameplay she's so unimportant that even the game ignores her.

Why not just have them say something though? It doesn't really make sense for there to be no mention of her. "Don't hurt the girl!" at the start of a firefight, "Give us the girl", "We just want the Girl", during combat? It's simple but goes a long way toward making it feel like a living breathing game world. Elizabeth is a major part of the Fitzroy storyline but she doesn't even get mentioned by her? I don't think Slate mentions her either. Outside of Comstock and a few scripted interactions she seems invisible to the rest of the game world. Why would Lady Comstock ignore her? That whole section is about their relationship and hate for each other why is she attacking Booker but not Elizabeth? That doesn't make sense narratively or mechanically.

It's kind of disappointing that even for a developer that has tried to address and explain ludonarrative dissonance to such an extent as Levine there's such glaringly obvious issues with mostly simple solutions. Elizabeth is such an integral part of the story but in terms of gameplay she's so unimportant that even the game ignores her.

Well they do shout that in a handful of scripted scenes, but I agree a few more random lines really would've helped.

Metal B

She doesn't "find" them. She generates them.
If you think about it, she is the next evolution of regenerating health: Regenerating mana, regenerating money, regenerating ammunition and super regenerating health. She gave Bioshock Infinity regenerating everything in a cheap way to make us like her. Because who doesn't like people, who give you free stuff.

pj

Banned
Well they do shout that in a handful of scripted scenes, but I agree a few more random lines really would've helped.

Judging from pre-release gameplay trailers, this game changed a LOT during development. It wouldn't surprise me if they had more incidental dialogue recorded, but ended up not using it because of other changes in the game.

There are so many missed opportunities for Elizabeth to verbally react to stuff in the game.

Fezan

I actually agree with opp. Elizabeth was not an annoying character but she was nothing special. Also I got struck in some corners due to her and had to jump to get out.
Imo elika from pop was better companion and also had conversation with prince.
Similarly companion in uncharted were also great and helped a lot

Top Bottom