• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ellen DeGeneres Wipes Away Tears As Obama Lauds Her For Breaking Barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Ellen DeGeneres Wipes Away Tears As Obama Lauds Her For Breaking Barriers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqhta-aFWkU

58351143180000230c30f99b.jpeg

Ellen DeGeneres on Tuesday was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, America’s highest civilian honor, alongside 20 other artists, athletes, scientists and philanthropists.

President Barack Obama ― who had to stop mid-address because he was “getting kind of choked up” ― bestowed the award on the television host for her unwavering ability to make “you laugh about something, rather than at someone.” He praised DeGeneres’ historic bravery for publicly coming out of the closet nearly two decades ago, putting her career in jeopardy.

“It’s easy to forget now, when we’ve come so far, where now marriage is equal under the law, just how much courage was required for Ellen to come out on the most public of stages almost 20 years ago. Just how important it was not just for the LGBT community, but for all us to see somebody so full of kindness and light. Somebody we liked so much, somebody who could be our neighbor or our colleague or our sister challenge our own assumptions. Remind us that we have more in common than we realize, push our country in the direction of justice. What an incredible burden it was to bear, to risk your career like that. People don’t do that very often.”

At the ceremony, she held back tears as a short speech was read celebrating her accomplishments:

“In a career spanning three decades, Ellen DeGeneres has lifted our spirits and brought joy to our lives as a stand-up comic, actor, and television star. In every role she reminds us to be kind to one another and to treat people as each of us wants to be treated. At a pivotal moment, her courage and candor helped change the hearts and minds of millions of Americans, accelerating our nation’s constant drive toward equality and acceptance for all. Again and again, Ellen DeGeneres has shown us that a single individual can make the world a more fun, more open, more loving place so long as we just keep swimming.”

Good for Ellen. I heard her interviewed on Howard Stern last year and she talked about how she was basically out of a job after her show was cancelled and no one would hire her-she went into a deep depression.

Ellen: “I was definitely getting attacked, but I was on such a high of like doing the right thing for me, that I didn't care. But then when the show got canceled, when I lost everything, that's when I was like, 'what am I gonna do?'”

[…]

Howard: “Do your agents start abandoning you?”

Ellen: “Yeah, I didn't have agents. I didn't have anybody.”

Howard: “You mean they wouldn't touch you anymore.”

Ellen: “Yeah.”
It's hard to believe that was 20 years ago.

She is absolutely deserving of this recognition. A fantastic person that has furthered the rights and acceptance of all people. Obama was even fighting back tears during the ceremony.

Good for Ellen. I remember watching her show when she said she was a lesbian. I think her character was in an airport or bus station. Then my family stopped watching it.

I can't see Trump doing any of these kinds of events. Its going to be a freak show watching him try to conjure authentic sympathy for anyone.

ShyMel

Ellen is a delightful person and deserves this award. She did something that even today takes a lot of courage.

Good for Ellen. I remember watching her show when she said she was a lesbian. I think her character was in an airport or bus station. Then my family stopped watching it.

I can't see Trump doing any of these kinds of events. Its going to be a freak show watching him try to conjure authentic sympathy for anyone.

Airport.

I still can't believe how far we've come since then.

Meowster

It's hard to imagine people disliking Ellen when there probably isn't a person that is more universally loved these days than her. Her bravery (and subsequent influence on LGBT socially and culturally) is so understated. I'm happy that she got this award and recognition.

Tear jerker for sure. I was very young when she came out but I can only imagine how much hate there was back then and how big of a risk that was.

It makes me sad that we'll likely see this award go to people like Kim Davis now instead.

Hazmat

I've always found her to be one of the most thoroughly charming people I've ever seen. I remember when she came out. For the people too young, it was a huge deal.

Maledict

I remember when she came out on her show, and in the U.K. Channel 4 ran a special themed 'coming out' night. It was at a major point in my life, as I was coming to terms with the sudden realisiation I was gay. Had a huge impact, and her bravery in coming out had a big influence on a lot of people's lives.

Well deserved, and a shining example of America at its best.

Ellen's good people. Well-deserved.

I find her show's crowd to be super annoying, and get a bit annoyed at all of the happiness, but she's a good person and host.

Zoe

Airport, over the loud speaker.

My family stopped watching it soon after, but that was cause the show got pretty boring afterwards. Less comedy, more about finding herself.

She seems like a very nice person with a huge heart, so is nice to see her getting the recognition. Also this ceremonies are gonna be so awkward once fuhrer Trump assumes the charge.

i thought she had already started crying when the guy before her was a son accepting the medal for his mom who already passed away.

i wonder if ellen ever gets tired of being nice and friendly to EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom