• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk's newest venture: "Neuralink" - Brain-computer interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Ragnarok

Am I a paranoid loon for not wanting to allow some corporation direct access to my brain?? Seems like it's not the path to go down.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
You know, I'm kinda alright with being dumb. I'm pretty sure I can go without living in a future that our brains are linked to a network. Where reading thoughts is only a hack away.

Keasar

46b423ad6e01d2f163db0bc93aa6ef1b.jpg

While is sounds neat, people are already having trouble with the idea of hackers taking over self-driving cars. Your mind isn't gonna be much safer. :p

Then again, this is the generation that is willing to sell their private lives to Facebook for free.

Ploid 3.0

Too bad our ISPs will be controlling how we think by the time this thing is out and working, well unless the next democrat majority America bring back net neutrality after Trump and crew destroy it.

Pomerlaw

We will never visit and colonize planets because we will unleash the power of the mind?

damn. My spaceship dreams are over.

kess

Too bad people are such utter shitheels. For every opportunity for something like this to be used to help medical patients, make beautiful art, and further intellectual and philosophical goals, some asshole would love the hack the hell out of it, use it to centralize power, and make brainwashing a reality.

The American education system being shitty by intent has made me terribly cynical towards the future use of augmentation.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This is a cool idea and I'm sure humanity will progress to direct interaction with machines at some point but currently computers just barely have a grip on verbal communication with humans. Imagine how complex it would be for a machine to parse what's going on in your brain and ascertain an intention from it, even if you could concentrate on a singular objective there's still an ocean of subconscious activity it would need to sort through.

TheMan

You guys realize this has nothing to do with transferring consciousness or anything that fantastical... This is probably gonna be used to control artificial limbs or perhaps even more advanced computers.

I would maintain that isolating consciousness from a brain is probably impossible as the mind is an emergent property of the interactions of the cells themselves. Best we could do would be to make a copy.

Razorback

I believe Musk's main motivation behind doing this is to allow humans to keep up with the pace of A.I. innovation.

He really seems focused on investing in whatever technologies will maximize our chances of surviving the century. Going to Mars is a pretty good idea, but even Martians aren't safe from the A.I. threat. Turning ourselves into superintelligences first might be the only way to properly bring about general artificial intelligence in a way that benefits our species.

The Wait But Why article is up. It's (as expected) very long. http://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html

TL;DR Elon wants to create a brain-machine interface so we can merge with super-intelligent AI, as opposed to having it rule over us.

Super long article but very interesting. Some of the possible applications are mind blowing.

Musk is giving a TED talk on the 28th, though I'm not sure when it will be accessible online.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Seems like something that might be feasible in an hundred years. There's way too many physical limitations.

Yeah we still have severe trouble dealing with the brain in even basic surgery situations and this seems far far far more complex.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Kind of amazed at all the people wanting Musk to "take over the world". I'm also a fan of Musk's drive to innovate and change our society largely for the better (it would seem) however from what I've heard, working for the man is rather hellish. Like near China factory worker conditions or something. I'll bet the pay is much higher of course, but he just works the hell out of you. Having a future with all sorts of cool gadgetry is nice and all, but not if it means not having a life to live and enjoy it with.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kind of amazed at all the people wanting Musk to "take over the world". I'm also a fan of Musk's drive to innovate and change our society largely for the better (it would seem) however from what I've heard, working for the man is rather hellish. Like near China factory worker conditions or something. I'll bet the pay is much higher of course, but he just works the hell out of you. Having a future with all sorts of cool gadgetry is nice and all, but not if it means not having a life to live and enjoy it with.

Sites like Glassdoor give a better idea of what the conditions are like, and even that isn't really that accurate. Sounds like most people at Space X or Tesla are satisfied. I mean, really, China factory conditions? Do you think people who have the talent to work there would stay if that was true? This is ridiculous.

I decided years ago that this is where I will personally draw the line and never get onboard with. I don't believe it will ever be secure and safe enough to risk it. I can imagine a scenario where millions of people suddenly die or have violent seizures because some asshole trolls hacked something everyone is connected to somehow.

No sir, I don't like it. I'd rather be a Luddite.

jdstorm

Banned
Where's Jeff Golblum when you need him.

"You were too busy asking yourself if you could that you never stopped to ask yourself if you should"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom