• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group Cancels ‘Deus Ex’ Video Game, Lays Off 97 Employees

Another one for the ignore list. Look up what a publisher is. That's what Embracer is, and what I was discussing.
Just out of curiosity how many people are on your ignore list?

searching look around GIF

ProtoByte

Assuming Embracer is in "fire sale" mode and has to let it go for cheap, I'd trust Asobo Studio to do a good job with Deus Ex.
Have to disagree. They're too European. And again, I don't think they have the resources to "elevate" the franchise. I think that's what it needs for anyone to give it another shot.

Arachnid

Well this is some of the worst video game news I could have gotten today.

Not quite cancelled Metal Gear, Silent Hill, or Splinter Cell level for me, but pretty up there in devastation. I guess we won't have much Deus Ex to look forward to for the next decade or so.

Kadve

Two years and only supposed to enter production later this year? What have they been doing until now exactly?

Now that you see I'm not even talking about who developed it, or the quality of the games, I'll explain what I was talking about since you apparently still can't grasp it. I was saying that Deus Ex games, while fun, are not good sellers. The people in charge of selling the game is the publisher. SQEX actually did a phenomenal job marketing both games with some of the best trailers of that gen, and I saw the games marketed. It didn't matter. Greenlighting another game with worse marketing is a guaranteed studio closing move.
It's the truth. Immersive Sim is probably my favorite genre, but it just takes more work to get into than most people want to give. It's a shame, but they just don't sell as well as they should. Prey was the last big AAA immersive sim that I can remember that had a chance, and that one's marketing was all over. We are fortunate that there are some potentially great ImmSims coming from the AA space though, so there's that.

Last edited:

stn

Damn shame for the employees who are about to lose work, and for us fans who were waiting for a new Deus-Ex. This stings even more because this is the first time I am hearing that a sequel was in development.

This is really sad Adam Jensen deserves a conclusion. is it just me or is the industry actually trying to turn me off the official stuff and into Fan projects instead...
why even bother giving money to these pricks when they don't value the gaming media. i get its a business and all but how can creating low tier games and shitty quality made games make it profitable in the long run all it does is turn people away from gaming all together and well in my case less appealed to give my money further to said publishers.
That includes you Microsoft.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Isn’t Crystal Dynamics owned by these cocksuckers? How long until we lose Tomb Raider as well?

If they cancel the new Tomb Raider that's in the pipeline I'll be fucking livid. But since it's Embracer we're talking about and they are literally self imploding in front of our eyes, chances are big that TR is fucked.

Madflavor

If they cancel the new Tomb Raider that's in the pipeline I'll be fucking livid. But since it's Embracer we're talking about and they are literally self imploding in front of our eyes, chances are big that TR is fucked.

I don’t fully understand this stuff but if Embracer goes under, I would hope they would auction off IPs like Tomb Raider. I don’t know if they can just go “We’re closing down. We’re also taking down every IP with us. Just cause.”

Saber

Gold Member
What a tragic depressing end to Deus Ex...this series didn't deserve this pitfull treatment.

Last edited:
If Sony or Nintendo were smart they would swoop in a buy studios of embracer they probably get decent amount of studios then what ms paid for zenimax

The problem is that they banked on external investments for funding.

In September they only had 500 million dollars of cash on hand and cash equivalents.

Assuming most of these AAA games cost at least 100 million dollars over say 6 years to be generous, that means that each of these games costs at least 16.7 million dollars per year.

With no revenue that means they'd be completely out of cash if they had as few as 30 games in development by September.

https://gamingbolt.com/embracer-group-plans-to-release-19-aaa-games-by-april-2026

We know that they had plans to release at least 19 games by April 2026, the article also confirms that they had 31 games in development, which essentially matches their cash on hand with the average cost I mentioned.

With small residual incomes and no major releases and other expenses, you can tell why they are frantically canceling games and laying off staff. They're trying to buy time. Dead Island 2 performed pretty well I think, but PayDay 3 I don't think performed as well.

They'll go under within the next 1.5 years unless something drastic happens.

Mr Hyde

I don’t fully understand this stuff but if Embracer goes under, I would hope they would auction off IPs like Tomb Raider. I don’t know if they can just go “We’re closing down. We’re also taking down every IP with us. Just cause.”

If Embracer goes bankrupt or are in a position of dire financial straits the IPs they own will most likely be auctioned off or sold to other publishers. In the case of Tomb Raider, the best thing for Crystal Dynamics would be to break free from Embracer along with the property (I don't think they would have any trouble acquiring it given their history with the franchise) and operate independently (or at least find another publisher that hasn't set itself on fire).

kyussman

Deus Ex is too good of a concept for 2024 game devs to do it justice anyway.......it's better off dead and untainted.

I haven't been following this thing all that closely so could someone please explain to me what's up with all this. Let me know if I have the facts correctly. Embracer Group comes in all big and bad and buys up a ton of companies and then not too long after has some type of financial issues and needs to start making severe cuts and layoffs?

Did they bite off more than they could chew? What's up with all this? Why buy all these companies if you can't afford them? Doesn't seem profitable if the companies you do buy aren't going to be at their best to be able to produce products that will make you money.

If I remember correctly, I think they were buying up lots of studios in order make a gigantic conglomerate that they could sell to the Saudis. They were basically wanting to be the video game equivalent of house flippers. Then COVID and the post-COVID tech/gaming crunch started happening.

Last edited:
Sony buying Eidos and Crystal seems like a no brainer.

How do you figure?

Both are extremely expensive studios which have underperformed.

From a cost-benefit perspective, it's MUCH cheaper and probably more effective to create your own studio and recruit for it and utilize your current tech stack than pay to buy a studio with a lot of overhead. Especially when you consider the layoffs happening in the industry.

It's been a decade since Crystal Dynamics last released a game that scored above an 80 on metacritic. it's been nearly a decade for Eidos Montreal too.

Sony might have to close one or two of their studios, why do they need studios that are no better than Bend Studios or Firesprite?

Buying them, you'd have to have a plan to reform them, but the reality is they don't have any strong IP either.

Woopah

So so sad about this and Timesplitters.

I haven't been following this thing all that closely so could someone please explain to me what's up with all this. Let me know if I have the facts correctly. Embracer Group comes in all big and bad and buys up a ton of companies and then not too long after has some type of financial issues and needs to start making severe cuts and layoffs?

Did they bite off more than they could chew? What's up with all this? Why buy all these companies if you can't afford them? Doesn't seem profitable if the companies you do buy aren't going to be at their best to be able to produce products that will make you money.
The intentionally bit off way more than they can chew, to maximise their growth rate.

The plan was that they'd be able to pay to upkeep all the studios by getting $2 billon from Saudi Arabia. But then Saudi Arabia pulled out.

CamHostage

If I remember correctly, I think they were buying up lots of studios in order make a gigantic conglomerate that they could sell to the Saudis. They were basically wanting to be the video game equivalent of house flippers. Then COVID and the post-COVID tech/gaming crunch started happening.

Kind of, but they weren't "flipping" to the Sauidis, the company would have still existed and continued on its path, they were just trying to puff up and seduce investments.

It's more like a dorky kid who decides to become a big timer, so they buy the cool clothes and they do nice things for the hot girls and they get a fancy car and rent out a swanky space and go, "Hey, I'm throwing a party and you're all invited!!"... but then nobody showed up because they know the kid is still isn't cool (and also, all the cool kids got mono.)

Last edited:
They paid Covid prices for these studios and they’re paying Covid prices for payroll for all of these games.

Some games are still doing really well but if your game gets lost in the sauce you end up eating the development costs and marketing costs.

The reality is their games don’t have the quality to separate themselves and as a result it doesn’t make sense to invest in them.

An absolute disaster in the making and a preview of what is to come with ABK and Microsoft, which is why Microsoft is already trying to head that reality off by shedding staff and going multiplatform.

Xbox exclusivity even for non COD games would destroy the operating income of ABK which is quite large. 17,000 employees…

Quick way to destroy the value of a 70 billion dollar asset.

xrnzaaas

For fuck's sake, Embracer has lost so much goodwill in only a year or so. I was excited when the Deus Ex IP was picked up with a promise that a new game may enter development.

I'm curious what they'll do with Tomb Raider. The game's gonna cost a ton of money to make, no way then can turn into AA/AA+ game with a mediocre budget.

Madflavor

How do you figure?

Both are extremely expensive studios which have underperformed.

From a cost-benefit perspective, it's MUCH cheaper and probably more effective to create your own studio and recruit for it and utilize your current tech stack than pay to buy a studio with a lot of overhead. Especially when you consider the layoffs happening in the industry.

It's been a decade since Crystal Dynamics last released a game that scored above an 80 on metacritic. it's been nearly a decade for Eidos Montreal too.

Sony might have to close one or two of their studios, why do they need studios that are no better than Bend Studios or Firesprite?

Buying them, you'd have to have a plan to reform them, but the reality is they don't have any strong IP either.

“Extremely” expensive is total hyperbole. If Crystal Dynamics is an extremely expensive studio to buy, what does that make Activision Blizzard? Super extremely? Hyper Extremely: Turbo Edition? We also don’t even know what sort of a deal Sony would get if this were to ever happen.

Rise of the Tomb Raider came out 9 years ago, scored 86 on MC, sold 12 million copies to date. Mankind Divided came out 7 years ago and got an 84. Tomb Raider is a strong enough IP that did pretty well with its last trilogy, which is their highest sold games to date. It’s a strong enough IP, and a very recognizable one too. So it hasn’t been a decade. Even the less well received Shadow of the Tomb Raider managed to eventually climb to 8 million sales.

Saying CD is no better than Bend Studios seems weird, considering Tomb Raider outsold and got higher scores than Days Gone. I don’t know man, these arguments you gave me are pretty weak.

That one feels safe as Amazon is payrolling and publishing it. So I don't think you have to worry about it

Good point but oof. I don’t know how I’d feel about Amazon owning the right to Tomb Raider games.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Good point but oof. I don’t know how I’d feel about Amazon owning the right to Tomb Raider games.

To my understanding they're licencing the brand while Embracer still holds the full rights to Tomb Raider franchise. Either way, Amazon seems to have large plans with this as they will not only publish the next game, but are also working on the movie and TV series

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Two years in pre-production and had yet to even enter production? Is that normal? I the Xbox 360 days you would get sequels in two years. Here they hadn't even started?
Back in the day, if a company really wanted to they could crank out game fast. M&M PC RPGs as follows. Good games too. They needed some time to transition to s 3D engine later in the 90s, but still cranked them out. Never played M&M X though.

Game companies have to realize you dont have to reinvent the wheel every game or sequel. Just look at all the annual CODs, sports, and at one time Assassin's Creed and NFS games were annual.

Main series
Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum (1986; Apple II, Mac, MS-DOS, Commodore 64, NES, MSX, PC-Engine CD-ROM²)
Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World (1988; Apple II, Amiga, MS-DOS, Commodore 64, Mac, Genesis, Super NES (Europe only), Super Famicom (Japan-only, different from the European Super NES version), MSX)
Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra (1991; MS-DOS, Mac, Amiga, Super NES, Genesis (prototype), Sega CD, PC-Engine Super CD-ROM²)
Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen (1992; MS-DOS, Mac)
Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen (1993; MS-DOS, Mac)
Might and Magic: World of Xeen (1994; MS-DOS, Mac)
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven (1998; Windows)
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor (1999; Windows)
Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer (2000; Windows)
Might and Magic IX: Writ of Fate (2002; Windows)
Might & Magic X: Legacy (2014; Windows, OS X)

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It seems like Embracer is really hoping for great success with the AITD reboot. That game was delayed 5 months while other studios have been shut down, projects cancelled, etc. Technically it's THQ Nordic but i assume Embracer is green lighting these delays.

Top Bottom