• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesh

To add context to my previous post (I was asked via PM) without going into too much detail any game that runs on the XB1 or PS4 should run on the NX with little to no issue. What developers choose to or not to port to the console will more than likely depend on consumer support for the thing.
Interesting... I'll try to maintain a positive outlook lol

Do you consider the differences between Xb1 and PS4 multiplats issues? Or is issue something more than just graphical settings.

Wondering this myself. 900P (sometimes even less!) and dips below 30 FPS aren't good at all. Also very curious as to whether these so called SCDs can assist in rendering in some way. (The patent seemed to suggest that they did?)

KingBroly

Banned
As a point of reference, the N3DS XL is a 4.1W device. Nintendo probably isn't going to dedicate 5W to JUST the GPU in their next handheld.

AmyS

Well change the K1 for the X1.

Alright, but still, seems to be two or more pieces of hardware.

-handheld / portable (maybe more than one size, as usual)
-home console plugged into the wall
-perhaps an implementation of the SCD patent that can boosts the capabilities of the home console, or both console and handheld.

unified architecture, much easier for 1st party Nintendo teams to get games out that play on both main types of devices, even if console has some exclusive games.

Will be aimed at everything from the mobile market, to dedicated console players and even somewhat harder core gamers to whom graphics and framerates matter.

Anarky

Banned
To add context to my previous post (I was asked via PM) without going into too much detail any game that runs on the XB1 or PS4 should run on the NX with little to no issue. What developers choose to or not to port to the console will more than likely depend on consumer support for the thing.

So people freaked over nothing?

Jackano

As a point of reference, the N3DS XL is a 4.1W device. Nintendo probably isn't going to dedicate 5W to JUST the GPU in their next handheld.
Good point.

I don't understand from where comes the Tegra name after the initial SA post. Is it second hand guesstimation? People are still loosing their mind and goes from AMD top tech wishful thinking to Nvidia top tech wishful thinking. We hardly get NX rumors for the March 2017 console, and now we should have something on the handheld that is at earliest holiday 2017, but more probably a 2018 device?

I think we are up on something here, but for the home console, and not necessarily Tegra.

maxcriden

Did Emily ever clarify if she meant NX will be more powerful than XB1 but similar in power, or less powerful than XB1 but similar in power?

KingBroly

Banned
Good point.

I don't understand from where comes the Tegra name after the initial SA post. Is it second hand guesstimation? People are still loosing their mind and goes from AMD top tech wishful thinking to Nvidia top tech wishful thinking. We hardly get NX rumors for the March 2017 console, and now we should have something on the handheld that is at earliest holiday 2017, but more probably a 2018 device?

I think we are up on something here, but for the home console, and not necessarily Tegra.

It can be Tegra, but all it means is that the power draw from it is going to have to be cut down somehow, likely by 2-3W, so that the overall device can be a 6W~ device. For refence, the DSi XL is a 2.8W device.

virtualS

In order to build a gaming box weaker than the XBOne in 2017 after partnering with AMD you'd have to be aspiring to absurdly low TDP, tiny size constraints or 1:1 compatability with WiiU games. This would imply a super custom design and not a reworking of one of AMDs latest APUs. Very WiiU.

In this scenario they'd likely parter once again with IBM to pull their PPC tech forward another 5 years. Could we see a modernised GameCube CPU stretched out over 8 cores in 2017?

Personally I'd love to see a super custom design again (everything being derivatives of the same thing gets boring) but I'm not so sure that game developers with their increasingly complicated engines would agree.

I see quick and easy porting from PS4 to be a key proirity at Nintendo. If this can be accomplished on ARM or PPC then x86 may not happen. I'm simply not convinced that this is the case however.

They've seen what zero third party support does to their platforms. Making the GPU or CPU or memory weak or weird enough to demand significant reworking of engine or assets parameters will kill any significant external development support.. even if the NX sells like hotcakes.

Roo

Oh look, someone said something relatively positive about NX again and the thread slowed down..
nQs5eYO.gif

Eolz

Yep!

Had many tech people in here saying similar things but they got drowned out until the thread started cooling down.

Most people that said that were driveby posting anyway, and the ones that stayed to argue how nintendo was doomed once again haven't posted since too :p

Brocken

Banned

Same situations of the last 20 years in a few words, exept the Wii

The_Lump

Banned
No, like most people, she doesn't know about the handheld.
Only things we've heard about so far for it was the possible screen resolution on gaf, and tegra yesterday from semiaccurate. Nothing else.
Edit: mainly because western third parties don't and won't care about the handheld, and that's where the leaks usually come from.

Whilst this may be true, it's still just speculation on your part. We don't know what Emily knows or even if what she think she knows is actually what she knows. A handheld between WiiU and XOne on paper is (FLOPS) is entirely plausible, if not entirely likely.

Nanashrew

Banned
Most people that said that were driveby posting anyway, and the ones that stayed to argue how nintendo was doomed once again haven't posted since too :p

Yeah, it got really annoying. I made a post like many pages ago that ARM is not strange or weird and all that stuff. Admittedly I do sound aggravated in the post, but man, I got called a Nintendo fanboy over it lol.

But since it started cooling down, it gave more room for Durante and Blu to talk tech and well, say exactly the same things that the differences are negligible. Now people also see Osiris's post too.

Just glad it has cooled down though.

The_Lump

Banned
Yeah, it got really annoying. I made a post like many pages ago that ARM is not strange or weird and all that stuff. Admittedly I do sound aggravated in the post, but man, I got called a Nintendo fanboy over it lol.

But since it started cooling down, it gave more room for Durante and Blu to talk tech and well, say exactly the same things that the differences are negligible. Now people also see Osiris's post too.

Just glad it has cooled down though.

The people saying they will "flip their shit" if NX isn't x86 were particularly amusing.

Osiris' post is v. interesting. At least shows the folk with genuine info (or at least the knowledge to accurately perceive their info) are out there and are doing a good job of keeping quiet.

Eolz

Whilst this may be true, it's still just speculation on your part. We don't know what Emily knows or even if what she think she knows is actually what she knows. A handheld between WiiU and XOne on paper is (FLOPS) is entirely plausible, if not entirely likely.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's not possible at all! Just that all the rumors we got so far from her and others were always about the console. Pretty sure about it for several reasons (since I work in this industry too).

Thats good to hear, I hope they can atleast get the annual FIFA/Madden game.

udivision

Same situations of the last 20 years in a few words, exept the Wii

Yeah.. isn't this what we expected anyway? Nintendo catching up (spec wise) a few year later, resulting in the decision of 3rd parties to support it to be based on things other than specs. It's similar to the Wii U situation, except porting should be easier.

LordOfChaos

If it was x86 it would be bit easier to emulate the hardware in the future. Oh well.

Why would running x86 code on future x86 hardware be easier than running ARM code on future ARM hardware, or PowerPC or MIPS or any other instruction set?

x86 != instant BC, nor does it make it particularly easier than staying within any ISA family.

Ansatz

Plus you wouldn't need to market both a MK7 and MK8, or a Smash 3DS and Wii U, or a 3D Land, and 3D World. The list goes on.

And those are the handheld games that usually get a bigger marketing budget.

So in addition to the diversification, maybe some funds would actually be freed up to use on those diverse games lol. One can hope.

If they go this proposed route then they would save a ton of money that goes into R&D for the home console, because in this scenario the console would essentially be a regular handheld revision instead of a separate platform which is alot cheaper.

Wii U sold 12m and was a massive failiure for them, yes they'll loose additional software sales but they have no choice. Nintendo can no longer support two platforms. What's better, to compromise and put out two half assed systems or one that's super healthy?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Welp, OsirisBlack's posts plus the Tegra/handheld news have my hype back to exceptional heights.

Eolz

For handheld NX, I wish for a 1080p handheld or at least as powerful as a samsung s7/8 but wih buttons.

1080p is a waste of pixels and power for an handheld. 720p max, and even then, it isn't needed to have a great image quality.

Loris146

So people freaked over nothing?

If NX is in XB1 ballpark there won't be any particular issues for third parties so there was no reason to overreact before ( unless people wanted a generational or something like a mid gen leap from PS4 and XB1) and there is no reason now.

Thank you for sharing this info.

Perhaps we should add this to the first post?

What if Nintendo releases Xbox1 specs+30%CPU power for $250-300, and a stand alone scd for $100-150 to make it rival the ps4 neo within 6 months of launch(hell lets imagine it on day 1). Would this benefit Nintendo or screw themselves?

Kimawolf

What if Nintendo releases Xbox1 specs+30%CPU power for $250-300, and a stand alone scd for $100-150 to make it rival the ps4 neo within 6 months of launch(hell lets imagine it on day 1). Would this benefit Nintendo or screw themselves?
To me more options is always a good thing.

Anth0ny

This is good news.

Still going to be an uphill climb convincing third parties to put their games on NX, though.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Man this thread slowed down a lot.
Well I mean, Emily throwing shade at 10k on Twitter isn't NX news.

OsirisBlack's info in this thread is interesting and good (dat bish check) but otherwise it's been quiet on any news front today.

Proelite

I don't get it. OsirisBlack's post and Emily Rodger's post doesn't contradict each other at all. So why are the reaction to his post more sensible?

Vena

I don't get it. OsirisBlack's post and Emily Rodger's post doesn't contradict each other at all. So why are the reaction to his post more sensible?

Because people have no idea what x86 or ARM actually means. If it isn't "supercharged PC architecture" how it could it possibly be okay!?

heidern

PS4/XBO will be like 80m between them with libraries of hundreds of games by the time NX launches. What you're describing is an NX that will be irrelevent in the traditional market. Launching 3 years into this gen Nintendo would need a product that is 3 years ahead, in other words around 4 times the power of PS4/XBO if they want to seriously compete head to head.

If they don't want to do that, then either they go for a low price or they innovate in some way. In which case you're looking at fairly modest 3rd party support and Nintendo trying to find the next Wii Sports/Brain Training/Minecraft to make their venture a success.

Alot of posters were over-blowing the importance of Nintendo needing the same architecture as the XB1/PS4 to make it easy for third-party developers to port their games to the NX. OsirisBlack put that to rest...for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom