• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Super Mario 3D World @5k

cemu_2017_01_12_21_58_34_31_by_aloooo81-dav7g3d.jpg

I took a bunch of screenshots from the intro of Metroid Prime to when you touch down on Tallon IV, but apparently we're not supposed to post more than 3 per post or double post so somebody reply if you want to see more.

gm8p01-31ysxg.png

gm8p01-47fsms.png

gm8p01-5rbs7y.png

I wish somebody would make a really nice texture mod for this game.

bomblord1

Banned
It's been a while since I posted one of my own but seeing you guys are getting back into it a bit I thought I'de grab a few. Returning to an old favorite for screenshots
so3ee9-2k5ph5.png

so3ee9-1exrmn.png

With slightly higher texture resolution someone could take me this game was made for the Xbox One and I would probably believe them.
Yeah, Retro were truly technical wizards with the Gamecube hardware. You should watch the DF Retro episode about Metroid Prime if you haven't already seen it, great stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwhS76r0OqE&ab_channel=DigitalFoundry

Last couple pics I have from Metroid Prime:

gm8p01-19ujs4m.png

gm8p01-20ucs9a.png

And just for the hell of it, here's one of Samus' goofy friends from Corruption that I snapped while testing it in Ishiiruka. 4x IR, 2560x1440 DSR, 16x AF, FXAA.

rm3e01-20ss81.png

bomblord1

Banned
Yeah, Retro were truly technical wizards with the Gamecube hardware. You should watch the DF Retro episode about Metroid Prime if you haven't already seen it, great stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwhS76r0OqE&ab_channel=DigitalFoundry

Last couple pics I have from Metroid Prime:

gm8p01-19ujs4m.png

gm8p01-20ucs9a.png

And just for the hell of it, here's one of Samus' goofy friends from Corruption that I snapped while testing it in Ishiiruka. 4x IR, 2560x1440 DSR, 16x AF, FXAA.

rm3e01-20ss81.png

I actually have watched it :)

And thanks for the additional shots

Skyward Sword is an interesting game to emulate. Some of the effects it uses seem very resolution specific. Generally I prefer downsampling for most games as opposed to 1080p (my monitor's native res) + SSAA. It looks sharper, brings out more detail, and with a bit of post-process AA it looks really nice. Today I booted up Skyward Sword in 4k, went to the boss rush, and I started to notice that something looked...off. So I took some screenshots to compare.

3x IR, 4x SSAA, 16x AF, Fullscreen Res 1920x1080
soue01-3gks7o.png

6x IR, 16x AF, Fullscreen Res 3840x2160, resized to 1080p
soue01-4-1080p6hsj9.png

You can see there's a soft glow around Link and the boss in the 1080p shot that becomes this weird outline in the 4k shot. And the shadow of the sword isn't rendering properly for some reason.

Here's what it looks like at native res for comparison.
https://abload.de/img/soue01-634sgv.png

And then there's the painterly DOF effect. If you've emulated Skyward Sword before then you should already know that this effect only really works as intended at native res. However, even at 1080p I think it looks pretty good. But at 4k, it starts to look a little weird.

soue01-1besa3.png

soue01-2-1080phms72.png

Again, native res for comparison.
https://abload.de/img/soue01-5xwsj8.png

So if you're thinking about emulating Skyward Sword, consider using a lower internal resolution with SSAA, instead of downsampling and a higher internal res. It looks a bit softer, but it works for the style of the visuals anyways.

Schlomo

So if you're thinking about emulating Skyward Sword, consider using a lower internal resolution with SSAA, instead of downsampling and a higher internal res. It looks a bit softer, but it works for the style of the visuals anyways.

I'm playing through Metroid Prime 3 at the moment, and I noticed the higher the internal resolution the worse the aliasing/flickering on floor textures gets. That's why I also resorted to using a lower resolution plus SSAA. But I'm wondering if there's a setting I got wrong, because normally I thought higher res = less flickering, right?

bomblord1

Banned
Skyward Sword is an interesting game to emulate. Some of the effects it uses seem very resolution specific. Generally I prefer downsampling for most games as opposed to 1080p (my monitor's native res) + SSAA. It looks sharper, brings out more detail, and with a bit of post-process AA it looks really nice. Today I booted up Skyward Sword in 4k, went to the boss rush, and I started to notice that something looked...off. So I took some screenshots to compare.

soue01-3gks7o.png

soue01-4-1080p6hsj9.png

You can see there's a soft glow around Link and the boss in the 1080p shot that becomes this weird outline in the 4k shot. And the shadow of the sword isn't rendering properly for some reason.

Here's what it looks like at native res for comparison.
https://abload.de/img/soue01-634sgv.png

And then there's the painterly DOF effect. If you've emulated Skyward Sword before then you should already know that this effect only really works as intended at native res. However, even at 1080p I think it looks pretty good. But at 4k, it starts to look a little weird.

soue01-1besa3.png

soue01-2-1080phms72.png

Again, native res for comparison.
https://abload.de/img/soue01-5xwsj8.png

That's really weird SSAA should just be rendering at a higher internal res and then downsampling. Or did you mean MSAA?

I'm playing through Metroid Prime 3 at the moment, and I noticed the higher the internal resolution the worse the aliasing/flickering on floor textures gets. That's why I also resorted to using a lower resolution plus SSAA. But I'm wondering if there's a setting I got wrong, because normally I thought higher res = less flickering, right?
MayImilae from the Dolphin forum explains it pretty well in this post:
Objectively, the internal resolution scaling doesn't have a good downsampling filter, and aliasing will always be there no matter how high the internal resolution goes. Setting the internal resolution to match your screen and using SSAA is the only way to get rid of ALL aliasing. I've done a lot of testing to confirm that (after delroth yelled at me for giving him higher IR screenshots, I was fooled too...). I've created a loooot of screenshots since then and handled screenshot curation for the mainsite, so I have studied this issue.

However... subjectively, raising the IR eliminates enough aliasing to be "good enough" for a lot of people, and people are going to be fooled by that. Of course extremely high internal resolutions are more taxing on the computer than SSAA and it still has aliasing and even FXAA would give better results, but... *shrug*. All that can be done is to try to inform them.
If you want to use higher internal resolutions and you have an Nvidia GPU you can use DSR to downsample the image by selecting a higher fullscreen resolution than your monitors native resolution. However, this leads me to the next post I'm responding to...

Why use fxaa when you're down sampling from 4k to 1080p? It's making the Metroid images needlessly soft imo.
Well, to put it simply, a raw 4k framebuffer still has visible aliasing. See for yourself.

No AA
FXAA

There's reason it's not only common for people to use post-process AA with downsampling, but also often recommended. Downsampling alone isn't enough to tackle aliasing. Because FXAA is applied to the framebuffer before downsampling takes place, the downsampling itself counteracts the blur introduced by FXAA, and the performance cost is basically nothing..

I won't label the resized images. The difference in sharpness isn't perceptible to me once these get resized to 1080p. Maybe if I stick my face right up to my monitor, but if I do that I'm just as likely to see aliasing as well. See if you can spot the difference without looking at the URLs.

Pic 1
Pic 2

And even then, this is just an approximation of what I see when I'm actually playing the game because Nvidia uses their DSR scaling filter (I set smoothness to 0% at 4k) and I resized the images in Photoshop using Bicubic.

That's really weird SSAA should just be rendering at a higher internal res and then downsampling. Or did you mean MSAA?
No, I meant SSAA. And sort of, but not exactly. I'll let Techreport explain:
Supersampling is often described as rendering a scene at a higher resolution—something like 2X or 4X the number of visible pixels—and then scaling the image down to fit the display. That's not a bad way to visualize what's happening, but in a very nerdy sense, that description isn't entirely accurate. Supersampling is really about taking multiple samples from different locations within the same pixel and blending them in order to get a higher-fidelity final result. Proper supersampling can grab samples from anywhere within a pixel, and the best routines may use a rotated grid or quasi-random sample pattern in order to achieve better results.
You can read more here: http://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwell-dynamic-super-resolution-explored

jett

D-Member
Too bad Sunshine is the red headed step child of the Mario universe... A remaster would be glorious.

BTW you can actually play it at 60fps on Dolphin without any major issues (I used the Ishiiruka build). It does look quite nice and at this framerate it surprisingly plays really well and I'd say it feels more responsive and snappy than the Galaxies (despite me not caring for some aspects of SMS's controls/mechanics).

Thank you all for the feedback. Maybe I'll start a thread when the pack is a little more substantial. It's coming along pretty well now.

Here are some more shots, again project 64 2.3 + GlideN64 (current release candidate build):
project642017-01-2022yuu2e.png

project642016-12-15063cu1x.png

project642017-01-20231ouao.png

Old treeline here.

I like this a lot, but I want to say that Link in Majora's Mask actually does NOT have the Hylian Shield, but the hero's shield, which looks different. I don't know if you should use a hylian shield design for it (even if it looks pretty nice, good job on that). Itd be cool to see what you could do for the Hero's Shield design.

legolas119

Neo Member
hi guys

i'm setting Retroarch in order to play some emulators.

First i configured Nestopia for Nes, bsnes accuracy for SNES and FBA Arcade for Neo Geo. For every core I configured:
Aspect Ratio = Core-provided e Integer scale = Off

Well, which is the best shader that i can apply for each emulator in order to emulate a Sony trinitron crt (I have it)?

Using bsnes for Super Nes it seems that some good shaders are: crt-aperture, crt-lottes, crt-hyllian.cgp, crt-easymode.cgp or crt-royale- kurozumi.cgp

But by default, none of them has a quality similar to my Sony Trinitron crt...

what do you suggest?

thanks!

MUnited83

For you.
Being honest this pains me a bit. Having something being emulated just days after release feels like it will hurt the game on its original system.

As for the content of the shots it looks sharp but appears to be missing the all important grass
I wouldn't worry, it's still a couple of months away from being properly playable.
And yeah, the grass isn't properly rendered yet. I expect that to be fixed in the next couple of updates.

bomblord1

Banned
I wouldn't worry, it's still a couple of months away from being properly playable.
And yeah, the grass isn't properly rendered yet. I expect that to be fixed in the next couple of updates.

That's a least a bit of a comfort. Also, don't let my comments deter you from posting more shots it really does look good and I'm interested in seeing more of it.

That's a least a bit of a comfort. Also, don't let my comments deter you from posting more shots it really does look good and I'm interested in seeing more of it.
It's still pretty much unplayable at the moment, and probably will be for quite some time.
Skip ahead to around 6 minutes to see what happens when Link tries to fight a Bokoblin.

jett

D-Member
Being honest this pains me a bit. Having something being emulated just days after release feels like it will hurt the game on its original system.

As for the content of the shots it looks sharp but appears to be missing the all important grass

It's not really playable, and the CEMU team is raking in so much Zelda cash on their Patreon I figure they're going to dole out updates really slowly from now on so as to not lose their newfound support. A victim of their own success you could say, although in this case the victims could be their very supporters. :p It will probably a long while before it can be played from start to finish without major issues.

Wow Breath of the Wild looks incredible at 4K. I can't wait until it's truly playable at that resolution. Some of the areas already looked beautiful at 900p with low view distance.

Top Bottom