• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Space |Intel Thread| 4X Space Strategy by ex-Ubi/EA devs

Victrix

*beard*
Because of this game or because of previous games?

Previous games

I've played so many disappointments over the years, I read this thread, started to get excited, then sat back for a minute and thought about it

I'm not sure if I'm done with the genre, it's done with me, or what, but I'm sick of getting hyped up for a new 4x and then taking it on the chin (space in particular, 4x in general, HI SOTS2, HI ELEMENTAL)

edit: Bad post for a new page. This is not the 'hate on 4x derail thread', I do, as always, hope that Endless Space is the next great one ;)

Also, I'm really tempted to get this. How deep and well executed are the non-combat elements? How is the game balance?

A Kabouter impression is a make-or-break litmus. Would be interested in hearing your take if you indulge.

Also, I'm really tempted to get this. How deep and well executed are the non-combat elements? How is the game balance?

From what I've been reading it's not that balanced yet (I've only played for a couple hours, I can't say that I've run into anything terribly unbalanced). They still haven't released 3 of the species so it probably won't be until beta. The good news is that the developers are very open on the forums and seem intent of fixing almost everything that has been brought up.

Previous games

I've played so many disappointments over the years, I read this thread, started to get excited, then sat back for a minute and thought about it

I'm not sure if I'm done with the genre, it's done with me, or what, but I'm sick of getting hyped up for a new 4x and then taking it on the chin (space in particular, 4x in general, HI SOTS2, HI ELEMENTAL)

edit: Bad post for a new page. This is not the 'hate on 4x derail thread', I do, as always, hope that Endless Space is the next great one ;)

I don't see Gal Civ 2 on that list of disappointments...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd like to see more variation in the combat visuals, but I'm liking the way they have it set up. Wouldn't mind some more cards to play as well.

It is annoying, but you can still catch them if you are quick depending on when they move. If they move during the turn you can initiate combat as they move through your system provided you can click on the button before they manage to jump away again. I've caught a number of scout ships like this and had a number of my own caught in the same way. It's not a real blockade, but it works for now.

You can unlock more cards via research, unless you're saying that even via research there aren't enough. In which case, that's fair.

Just bought it, reading through the tutorial now, seems pretty daunting, but intriguing at the same time.

Jump in feet first, and see where it takes you. The UI is actually pretty intuitive in comparison to other 4X games. Try it out, and when you hit a wall, post in the thread. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

The game is still admittedly unbalanced (missiles are way overpowered in combat), and they've said that that is a function of its alpha status. They're apparently continually working on it.

Kabouter

The game is still admittedly unbalanced (missiles are way overpowered in combat), and they've said that that is a function of its alpha status. They're apparently continually working on it.

And how are the non-combat mechanics? Are they sufficiently deep?

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
You can unlock more card via research, unless you're saying that even via research there aren't enough. In which case, that's fair.

The latter. I'm about half way through the applied science tech tree and I've only got 3 additional cards although I have skipped one or two techs with a bonus card. If I'm counting right, there are only 11 cards total including the starting 3.

My first game has ended up in a draw. For some reason the game just refuses to advance the turn. It sat there for 15 minutes doing nothing before I quit out. Horatio and I each own approx half the galaxy. I received a 50% notification a couple turns ago and still have the last Hissho world to finish laying siege to. I'm currently at peace with Horatio, but they are suspicious of me and apparently have a bigger military. Sirius was by far my most productive system and it's only half populated! It was producing 1/5th of the research for my entire empire and had enough production to pop out a fully armed cruiser every other turn. My hero is providing a 30% bonus to every resource.

DY17j.jpg

l7EIp.jpg

Time to start a new game I guess!

Just how unbalanced are missiles? I haven't used them much myself although I did have them used against me on occasion, but never in really big numbers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And how are the non-combat mechanics? Are they sufficiently deep?

I personally think they are. There are some simplifications (such as star system wide improvements rather than planetary movements), but I personally think they help the game, rather than dumb it down.

There is planetary exploitation that is maximized based on the type of planet, there is star system improvement that can help anything from production to defense, and there are even tech tree abilities that allow you to terraform planets to any type you want (once you have the research).

I find it sufficiently deep.

Kabouter

I personally think they are. There are some simplifications (such as star system wide improvements rather than planetary movements), but I personally think they help the game, rather than dumb it down.

There is planetary exploitation that is maximized based on the type of planet, there is star system improvement that can help anything from production to defense, and there are even tech tree abilities that allow you to terraform planets to any type you want (once you have the research).

I find it sufficiently deep.

That sounds pretty good. How's the diplomacy?

thetrin

That sounds pretty good. How's the diplomacy?

That I don't know a ton about. I tend to play Cravers, that start with a malus called "Eternal War", which prevents diplomacy with other races. Also, when I don't play Cravers, I tend to blow up ships before they can start alliances.

itxaka

Defeatist
Well, last nigth I just pre-ordered it, downloaded the alpha and then proceed to spend 5 hours playing.

It fuckings hooks you, that is for sure.

It kind of remind me of civilization but in space. It has the colonization, the building shit, the battles, the tech and so on.

Recommended if you like civilization kind of games. And it cost me like 18€ for the highest version so....cheap as hell.

And for an alpha, it's really stable. Didn't had any issues at all during my play. Balancing issues it's where it's at. And more content. Not enough types of ship to build, for example. They are all "multifunction" so there is not a hull especially designed for battle or defense. Guns and such there are also under developed I think, there is few of them and the tech tree only improves them instead of unlocking different ones. It will be good if some tech paths locked other parts, especially in the military tree with the bonuses of getting some specialty guns only available to you.

Diplomacy is kind of weak. The tech tree for it is not really understandable. I unlocked offer peace on it but I can't find the declare war one and have no idea if it has to be unlocked or not. Other races are kind of stupid, citing your "quick expansion" as a treat to them while they are expanding with you (???).
Also, one race declared war onto me, while another offer peace "Enemy of my enemy is my friend". We proceeded to wipe his tiny dominion out of space and they never tried to offer peace or anything, they just stood there diying and losing ships time after time.

Invading planets is also a pain in the ass. I had a planet to invade and no matter how many ships I used, the bar went down reeeeeally slow and there was no idication as why. I even created a fleet of 2 super-huge ships with only invasion weapons and it made no difference. In the end I just gave up.

Edit: Some screens.

WARNING! Steam compression below :(
State of the empire
145641E246BDC0F7A982C7038BCBA04932C5ABEC

Insufficient military(me?) for them to accept peace. They are the yellow player which only has 3 planets and it's in war against me and blue. Accept that peace son.
ABF99F5BF1A6E19B0CB7903A4014F455DC211C8A

As in civilization, one turn arrives when your planets are full of everything so you just turn them out to produce ships for war of produce science all the time.
08774F29E8C3DB4C1FCEE6832D3E3707D8F5196A

Walshicus

Itxaka is right. I bought yesterday evening for a few hours play. Knew I was getting engrossed but genuinely thought it was 22:00 when I stopped playing. It was 03:00.

No game has done that since my first run on EU3.

Right now the alpha is worth the cost alone.

Wow preordered it, got first chance to play it yesterday evening 9pm and before i knew it it was 2 am. Just went in disabled tutorial and after 100 turns discovers you can build system improvements. I always was like 50% behind the ai and kept on wondering how made some fast improvement the next 40 turns but it was already too little to late hissar(forgot their name) started a war against me couldn't do a thing. :p
Hope in release version ending turns will speed up. Took a while on my 955 after turn 130.

Good Heavens. Despite this build having a bug that doesn't allow me to set the resolution to 1366X768 and the kinda awkward research queue business - though I LOVE the queue option to literally set up your research choices and leave the scientists to do their thing - this is awesome.

Quirks notwithstanding, this is a coup in UI design. It's simple and gorgeous. There's more than enough meat on the bones, too.

The devs have promised the next build will have the resolution bug fixed.

Good show. Good show indeed.

Orlandu84

Well, last nigth I just pre-ordered it, downloaded the alpha and then proceed to spend 5 hours playing.

It fuckings hooks you, that is for sure.

It kind of remind me of civilization but in space. It has the colonization, the building shit, the battles, the tech and so on.

The last time I lost track of time completely when playing game I was playing Sins of a Solar Empire, and this game looks even more engrossing! By the way, what are the battles like? Are the battles more like Sins or Master of Orion? Thanks.

itxaka

Defeatist
The last time I lost track of time completely when playing game I was playing Sins of a Solar Empire, and this game looks even more engrossing! By the way, what are the battles like? Are the battles more like Sins or Master of Orion? Thanks.

Battles are fight automatically depending on what does your ships have as offense/defense/support. You have a offense ratio and a defense one.

There is also 3 phases in which you can play cards.

Not that it only uses the cards, but they serve as helpful addons for the battles like 20% more phasers or -15% to your enemy lasers. Some cards can override your opponent ones and disable them.

Basically it comes to offense/defense power, cards only help if your are nearly tied.

This is not final, Im playing my game as expansion/tech not as military one so I could be mistaken:
I guess it will help also depending of the defenses/offenses of your ship. You can have defenses for some weapons but the enemy can have none of those so your ships are useless against them.

Good Heavens. Despite this build having a bug that doesn't allow me to set the resolution to 1366X768 and the kinda awkward research queue business - though I LOVE the queue option to literally set up your research choices and leave the scientists to do their thing - this is awesome.
Had the same problem. Open up Documents -> Endless Space -> Users -> {you} -> Registry.xml with a text editor. Change the resolution there.

Now right click -> properties. And put the file on read-only.

Resolution should be good now.

Had the same problem. Open up Documents -> Endless Space -> Users -> {you} -> Registry.xml with a text editor. Change the resolution there.

Now right click -> properties. And put the file on read-only.

Resolution should be good now.

GOOD MAN!

I decided to play windowed between when I posted last and seeing your helpful comment...and regardless of screen real estate, I'm hooked! What a truly effortless game to play. While we only get one camera cycle in the battles thus far, I can tell this'll end up being one hell of a cinematic thing to view with a full fleet and either randomised camera shots or card-triggered ones.

Space nerds have no excuse.

In regards to the grand strategy elements, it's great. Been really enjoying the planetary development side of things, but also the care and attention to the descriptions and tech. GalCiv was a bit gratuitous in that regard, this feels more like an Alpha Centauri on some levels.

Tasteful is one word I'd use to describe the Endless Space alpha experience.

Does the game have a tutorial at all, and if so how well does it explain the concepts and game mechanics.

If you're familiar with other 4X space games, like Masters of Orion or GalCiv, you'll be okay. It's actually easier to navigate than GalCiv, I reckon. As far as the tutes? Well, they're just info screens at this point. That said, the UI and tool-tips make feeling your way around pretty good. Still has some quirks, but it's damn fine as it is.

kafiend

Does the game have a tutorial at all, and if so how well does it explain the concepts and game mechanics.

Not a tutorial in the sense of hand holding you through a mission. In the good sense of assuming your hand has held a mouse before and you are quite aware that it has buttons and they do stuff.

When you start a game there are non interactive pages that pop up when you first click on buttons explaining that bit of the interface and what the section does.

On that subject, the interface truly is a work of art. You really should just have a quick look at some of the videos posted earlier in this thread. You can instantly see that its beautiful and inside a minute or two you will be thinking yeah I can play this :)

It explains where and what everything is.
It doesn't really learn you how to play well it all for you to discover atleast that is my way of playing these games pump 3~4 hours in a game discover new stuff rearrange build,tech orders and try again.

Carcetti

I like this game. I've played most of if not quite all of space 4Xs and this is one of the better ones. It's hard to say why yet, but there's a certain flow and charm in this like Sins of Solar Empire has. Some parts are really simplified compared to MOOs but some are a lot better.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So what am I missing with the whole expanding rings of influence thing? What effects that, and why do the other civs rings expand much faster than mine? :(

McNum

So what am I missing with the whole expanding rings of influence thing? What effects that, and why do the other civs rings expand much faster than mine? :(
Technology and population. There's a few techs in the left side of the technology tree that expands your influence. Get a few of those, build the improvements, and watch your influence expand.

By the way, how do you take over systems in this game? In my current game, I got a few Horatio systems being really cute with influence near my homeworld, since there are no starlanes to get to them easily. Except I just got Warp Drive, so I'm thinking of making a little trip... Horatio would have declared war on me if we hadn't been at peace for 100 turns, probably.

Now space superiority, I got covered, I'm the first to Battleships, and can crank several out per turn. But taking over the systems? I have no idea. Do I need invasion capable ships?

Also, is there a way to pay someone to attack someone else? Or at least choose to gang up on someone?

By the way, how do you take over systems in this game? In my current game, I got a few Horatio systems being really cute with influence near my homeworld, since there are no starlanes to get to them easily. Except I just got Warp Drive, so I'm thinking of making a little trip... Horatio would have declared war on me if we hadn't been at peace for 100 turns, probably.

Now space superiority, I got covered, I'm the first to Battleships, and can crank several out per turn. But taking over the systems? I have no idea. Do I need invasion capable ships?

Once you're in a hostile system there's an icon that looks like two clenched fists, right beside the attack fleets in system icon.

bengraven

Wait, 4X? Like Civ? In space? So no real time lazers and toilet water temperature management?

I could be down with this.

McNum

Wait, 4X? Like Civ? In space? So no real time lazers and toilet water temperature management?

I could be down with this.
Yeah, pretty much. It's still an alpha, so it's not quite balanced yet, but it's a Civilization style game in space. With some pretty looking battles.

BigTnaples

Getting my ass handed to me on easy.

Looks like I need to watch a lets play or something...

Getting my ass handed to me on easy.

Looks like I need to watch a lets play or something...

Same here, Maybe i should go back some scale with galaxy size Huge and dense is just way to much manage on normal and after 70 turns i just keep on dropping on the score ladder.

BigTnaples

Same here, Maybe i should go back some scale with galaxy size Huge and dense is just way to much manage on normal and after 70 turns i just keep on dropping on the score ladder.

Yeah, I feel as if I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

Albeit this is the most time I have ever put into a 4x game already (not counting Sins as 4x).

McNum

Yeah, I feel as if I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

Albeit this is the most time I have ever put into a 4x game already (not counting Sins as 4x).
I think I have grokked the beginning of the game. It's all about food. Your first planet, you build a food improvement on. You want more population fast as you spend one pop on a colonization ship. On each new system you reach, build a food improvement first, too, so you can get in-system colonization going. Your first colony in a new system should be on the planet with the most food.

One you get a food surplus, you can convert the improvement into whatever. And do try to have some basic warships around in case of pirates and enemies. The pirates get nasty later on.

I think pirates only spawn from unclaimed systems, though, haven't seen any after I claimed the last one.

Tu101uk

This game reminds me so much of the MoO series, which I played to death when I was younger - the massive galaxy star map, the colonisation of various different planets, recruiting "heroes" and building fleets. It's been a while since any "4X game in space" has really hooked me in.

As someone else said earlier, the UI is slick and intuitive, and I'm glad that space battles aren't the only way to power through the game (I usually played the more peaceful expansion/research routes in these games), though the manual mode is still a bit confusing even after playing it for a good couple of hours.

I'm so glad I sank money into this now. If this is just the alpha build, I can't wait for what the final product will be like... :3

O-O~

BigTnaples

Well I went with a ton of food production early on and seem to be doing a lot better. Good call. Have to save the rest for later, going out...

One more turn..........

I think I have grokked the beginning of the game. It's all about food. Your first planet, you build a food improvement on. You want more population fast as you spend one pop on a colonization ship. On each new system you reach, build a food improvement first, too, so you can get in-system colonization going. Your first colony in a new system should be on the planet with the most food.

One you get a food surplus, you can convert the improvement into whatever. And do try to have some basic warships around in case of pirates and enemies. The pirates get nasty later on.

I think pirates only spawn from unclaimed systems, though, haven't seen any after I claimed the last one.

I usually make a Hero i call him the "Baby Boomer".
It has all the plus food and industry so i can populate a new system fast.
Still have problems when i pass the 100 turn it feels like mid game by then.
And im usually as good as dead by turn 140.

Keasar

What kind of technology allows your ships to travel outside of the space lanes? I was narrowing down all entries into my empire through the fewest lanes and then proceeded to set up blockades around the systems. I suddenly later spot a enemy ship heading towards one of my main planets just straight over open space. Feels kinda cheap. :(

Walshicus

What kind of technology allows your ships to travel outside of the space lanes? I was narrowing down all entries into my empire through the fewest lanes and then proceeded to set up blockades around the systems. I suddenly later spot a enemy ship heading towards one of my main planets just straight over open space. Feels kinda cheap. :(
Yeah, either the game should be lane/chokepoint based, or it should be MOO like and freeform. Its going to be hard to balance for all scenarios.

EDIT: What's the release cadence for the game?

Jharp

So I first heard of this game when a Steam card popped up and said ENDLESS SPACE with a picture of a ship against a bare empty dark backdrop.

Being a huge fan of space sims like Freelancer and the X games, of course my natural assumption was that this was basically going to be Endless Ocean but in space with ships, and I peed a little I was so excited for a few minutes there. Really bummed I was wrong. That would be amazing.

Cool strategy game though, I suppose.

Warp drive but it is really slow at first.

And just won my first game :p after like 230+ turns.

itxaka

Defeatist
Meh, in the end like Civ5, you have to go with military, no matter what carrer do you choose, the others are always against you trying to crush you.

One wonders if there will be any time that an AI tries to co-op with you or gain something instead of just hating on you. Meh.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ugh, just bought this but i can't play cause i get a "Failed to Contact the Key Server" error...
according to the endless space forums i'm not the only one with the problem...

but whatever, i played hundreds of hours MoO2 back in the day, and i hope this can do the same for me :) (i bought GalCiv2 when it was released but it never really clicked with me...)

Blizzard

Banned
Meh, in the end like Civ5, you have to go with military, no matter what carrer do you choose, the others are always against you trying to crush you.

One wonders if there will be any time that an AI tries to co-op with you or gain something instead of just hating on you. Meh.
I've played Civ5, and I thought there were different ways to win? Cultural, space race, and so forth?

Kem0sabe

The interface looks so clean and wonderful. It´s about time game UI design started taking some clue´s from the awesome work being done in the graphic design and illustration market.

BigTnaples

Eh, I just one my very first game and never had a single battle the whole time.

Also I am VERY new to 4x, in fact this is my first completed game in a 4x ever...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, loving this game, glad I bought it, even in alpha stage it is a very awesome experience.

Going to try to bump up the difficulty and go again!

red731

Okay, 13 enemy pirate ships are decimating my fleets of 7...
How can I have more than 7 ships per fleet? What are the conditions for that?
War or science something?

Top Bottom