• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: The SNES Classic is probably the last retro [home] console Nintendo will ma

Nesther

I wonder if they'd redesign the N64 controller, or at least the painful thumbstick. Or would that void the retro appeal?

JoeNut

one aspect where Sony might not have the same impact is with the controllers

maxresdefault.jpg

While PS controllers have evolved, they mostly have the same layout. This is obviously not true with the NES/SNES and all other Nintendo consoles

damn i forgot about that analog button

Baleoce

I wonder if they'd redesign the N64 controller, or at least the painful thumbstick. Or would that void the retro appeal?

I don't think anyone would mind at all if they changed the thumbstick to something more modern. Leave the rest of the functionality intact though.

Well, it's no wonder. N64 would not be cheap to produce with a sorta complex gamepad. By that time we were already living in Sonyland and except for some party guys who loved the multiplayer, most people hated the hell of it for not having FMV or voices in most games.

Doing a second nes or snes mini with a different batch of games would be a much safer approach. But anyways, if this became a yearly thing, people would probably lose interest fast.

LordKano

Main problem with the potential N64 Mini would be the absence of Rare games. N64's library of games takes a huge hit if you remove Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Conker, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark etc.

Green Yoshi

The N64 was my first console, so a N64 Mini would be a very welcome. I hope Nintendo can make it happen although it will require more effort than NES&SNES Mini.

A Gamecube Mini would look very neat, so let's hope SNES Mini is not the end of the road.

AllEchse

list is automatically bad for not including F-Zero X.
N64 Mini is the perfect opportunity to release the complete F-Zero X version with 64DD content. i'd argue it's the best F-Zero package in existence despite not having the same graphics level as GX. the track editor alone makes it endlessly replayable Mario Maker-style.

This kills the list.
F-Zero X is by far my favourite game on the n64.
Coupled with with what the Xpansion Pack added it would be so awesome.

Would also be nice to get Wipeout 64 but I don't think Sony would like that.

But I think they are going to do a gameboy classic first (preferably gameboy color, as I don't want ro play the games in green or grey, they could just make it an option).

ramparter

Banned
N64 has plenty games for a classic buut maybe these games cannot appeal to the masses the same way nes/snes games do. Also being the first 3d games means they havent aged very well imo. And this comes from a guy who loves his N64.
On the other hand it would still sell like crazy especially after the nes / snes madness but still I feel Nintendo won't do it.

Baleoce

Main problem with the potential N64 Mini would be the absence of Rare games. N64's library of games takes a huge hit if you remove Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Conker, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark etc.

Maybe MS would play nice. Not happening, but yeah. It would feel extremely incomplete (as a general experience of the platform) without Rares input. To many it even defined the system. You can easily make up a list of 20 Nintendo games that'd do the job, but with the other re-releases (NES, SNES) they've done collections that essentially defined the system. Not just Nintendo things.

Ganondolf

I reckon Nintendo will do a n64 classic. It will have about 10-12 games.

I don't see why Nintendo won't make it as it's at least sell a couple of million units and emulating it will be easy, they may get away with using the same hardware too.

I don't think there is any chance of GameCube though due to the power required to emulate it.

GamerJM

Banned
How hard is the N64 to emulate to a level that's up to Nintendo's standards? IIRC the Wii used software N64 emulation (I could be completely wrong here), which I guess could work but would be kind of strange for a mini-console.

Yeah, I can't really see a N64 Classic happening, it had some great games but it didn't have the impact the NES and SNES did, so I'm not sure of its appeal outside of Nintendo's core fans.

On the other hand, a Gameboy Classic would probably make sense though. As would a Wii Classic in a few years, once they can play on Wii Sports nostalgia.

I think a Game Boy Classic is next.

I'd love something that was in the original case design, but offered the options to play in original or Super Game Boy or Game Boy Color modes.

But if it doesn't include Tetris - what's the point?

ggx2ac

The N64 was my first console, so a N64 Mini would be a very welcome. I hope Nintendo can make it happen although it will require more effort than NES&SNES Mini.

A Gamecube Mini would look very neat, so let's hope SNES Mini is not the end of the road.

Just like how we're discussing if they should change the design of the N64 controllers, this is also another thing.

The GameCube was small and light that they attached a handle to it. It wouldn't really need a handle if it became as small to hold in your hand like the other mini consoles.

Of course it would be a few more years before it before one needs to appear.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo rereleased Donkey Kong 64 for Wii U VC, so it wouldnt be unheard of for them to get other Rare games.

Green Yoshi

But we know who owns the licenses. So Nintendo would just have to make a deal with Microsoft. As they did with Square Enix for Final Fantasy VI on SNES Mini.

Forkball

Tons of people are nostalgic for the N64. People who grew up with it were never more wowed by a graphical leap than from 16 bit games to the N64. There will never be a more drastic change from one console cycle to the next. It was also the first system that took real advantage of multiplayer. Four control ports was a huge innovation at the time, and many classic N64 games highlight this. Though therein lies the issue: while the system has memorable single player titles, multiplayer is what the console excelled at. Can you really bundle in FOUR controllers? Those things were huge and they are dated. You could make them more comfortable... but man it wouldn't be the same.

Not having Rare titles in would also be almost too glaring of an omission. Yes, the NES and SNES are lacking many amazing games, but since the N64 library is notably smaller, missing any big title makes it a less valuable proposition. An N64 mini without Banjo and Goldeneye? That's rough. Though Goldeneye is perhaps best left in our memories than to be played in 2017.

I definitely want a Game Boy Classic. I don't know what they would do with the screen though. Keeping it authentic to the original GB/GBC would be a hard sale considering we are carrying around a mini-movie screen in our pockets these days. I see some people saying they should incorporate GBA games, but I think you can definitely make a list of 20-30 worthwhile GB/GBC titles. Selling it at $40-$50 with multiple color SKUs? That thing would fly off shelves.

ReitStuff

I think there would be enough demand for an N64 Classic, but I don't think it could be practically done. Controllers are too big.

Bundle them with the Hori pads that use an improved joystick. As far as filling out the games, you'd have to be crazy to think it wouldn't be packed with quality titles. And regarding this being only for Nintendo enthusiasts, I fail to see how that's a bad thing, assuming if that's even true.

RedZaraki

Banned
I personally know some people who would be more hyped for the N64, but for me, the SNES is king and it's not close.

I mean, like SNES is ten times more nostalgia than the N64.

ggx2ac

Bundle them with the Hori pads that use an improved joystick. As far as filling out the games, you'd have to be crazy to think it wouldn't be packed with quality titles. And regarding this being only for Nintendo enthusiasts, I fail to see how that's a bad thing, assuming if that's even true.

Sure, it will sell.

But like the mobile games where it gives exposure of Nintendo IP to new consumers, Kimishima wants these Mini consoles to bring back people that used to play a Nintendo system or to have their kids experience what they played as a child.

Because he thinks that would lead to getting them to look at what Nintendo sells now to buy a Switch or 3DS.

Branduil

Also, if Nintendo didn't change the Famicom Mini design despite it resulting in the tiniest, most uncomfortable Nintendo controllers ever, they're not going to change the N64 controller design.

Takat

I can see them doing a GameBoy revival. I think it would make a lot of business sense, as people miss the past. And if they can include Tetris with it, it can be a huge success.

Firemind

Doing a second nes or snes mini with a different batch of games would be a much safer approach. But anyways, if this became a yearly thing, people would probably lose interest fast.
There are no games left in the NES/SNES library that could rival the first.

andymcc

Banned
i think a gameboy mini that's micro sized would sell pretty well. include GBA down, be super-sinister and put that localized Mother 3 as an exclusive on it.

even better if it had a mini-hdmi out.

much more marketable than the N64 (and probably even the SNES) classic at any rate.

i think a gameboy mini that's micro sized would sell pretty well. include GBA down, be super-sinister and put that localized Mother 3 as an exclusive on it.

even better if it had a mini-hdmi out.

much more marketable than the N64 (and probably even the SNES) classic at any rate.

If I was them I'd do a GB Color mini first and then a GBA mini.

andymcc

Banned
If I was them I'd do a GB Color mini first and then a GBA mini.

tbh, having a super sleek form design that looks like a modern take on a gameboy pocket is really about the most exciting thing.

finally have Super Gameboy ver. of games on it too. I want Donkey Kong 94.

Seriously: the goddamn thing posits itself to sell even better than any of their other throwback systems.

Fucking Pokemon. Don't cheap out on that Tetris license.

Even my mom would buy it.

DarkTom

Ok let's do a list ! So if Rare-owned games are not allowed.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Rayman 2
6. Mario Party 2
7. Pokemon Snap
8. Star Fox 64
9. International Superstar Soccer 2000
10. Diddy Kong Racing
11. Super Smash Bros
12. Paper Mario
13. Wave Race 64
14. F-Zero X + Expansion Kit (UNRELEASED)
15. Beetle Adventure Racing
16. Pokemon Puzzle League
17. Star Wars Rogue Squadron
18. Mischief Makers
19. Spacestation Silicon Valley
20. Turok
21. Sin & Punishment (UNRELEASED)

N64 classic would be a hit in the US, considering it's the only region the N64 did well in. It actually did just about as well as the SNES. 23 mill for the SNES compared to 21 mill for N64. Too bad it bombed everywhere else.

z0m3le

Banned
Absolutely ridiculous. The N64 games were still small, so they can fit 15-20 titles 256MB to 1GB, and filling that list would be incredibly easy for Nintendo.

1. Mario 64
2. OoT
3. Majora's Mask
4. Smash Brothers
5. Mario Kart 64
6. Wave Race
7. Star Fox 64
8. Bomberman 64
9. Ogre Battle 64 (Atlus and Square contribute)
10. Paper Mario
11. Resident Evil 2
12. Yoshi's Story
13. Pokemon Snap
14. Mario Party
15. Excite Bike 64
16. Kirby 64
17. Pokemon Stadium
18. Mario Tennis
19. F-Zero X
20. Megaman 64 (legends)
21. Namco Museum 64
22. Cruisin USA
23. Hybrid Heaven
24. Sin & Punishment

ggx2ac

Well technically the Jetpac minigame found in DK64 did have to have the right negotiated.

It's becoming too difficult following all this stuff now.

I checked the Goldeneye rights thinking Nintendo only need to get the Bond license and even that was complicated.

When I said "Off the top of my head" I truly meant it, I did not consult any external resources to make my list, so yeah the titles could be me more memorable. Still I hold that Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninjas are very good game that deserve to be played by more people.

MM is one of the only games on the N64 that I think is legitimately good and plays well. I'm not a fan of a lot of the more popular N64 games in general because they all feel so barren in one way or another. I'm not going to deny that SM64 plays well, for instance, I just didn't personally enjoy it.

" Anyone who owned the console can attest that the directional twig's rigidity faded with age as the spry stick wilted away from its original center position, and it wasn't terribly precise to begin with. "

How on earth is this being used as a reason a N64 mini shouldn't/couldn't happen?

muteki

Makes sense because whatever VC/online service will be ready on Switch by the next year.

If not, just re-release the NES classic with a slightly different library.

I do agree though, that a N64 classic sans-Rare is very much a doable thing and I'd buy one just as quick.

z0m3le

Banned
Also I'd guess the N64 Classic would only have 15+1 to 20+1 games.

+1 being Animal Crossing for N64 (unreleased in the west, would be pretty huge)

Beegeous

Ok let's do a list ! So if Rare-owned games are not allowed.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Rayman 2
6. Mario Party 2
7. Pokemon Snap
8. Star Fox 64
9. International Superstar Soccer 2000
10. Diddy Kong Racing
11. Super Smash Bros
12. Paper Mario
13. Wave Race 64
14. F-Zero X + Expansion Kit (UNRELEASED)
15. Beetle Adventure Racing
16. Pokemon Puzzle League
17. Star Wars Rogue Squadron
18. Mischief Makers
19. Spacestation Silicon Valley
20. Turok
21. Sin & Punishment (UNRELEASED)

S&P got a JPN release with English voice overs. Great game too.

z0m3le

Banned
For sure not true with me and my fellow Gen X'ers. Maybe for some of the younger folks.

SNES definitely is more popular obviously, 16 million more people (50% more) owned a SNES. However, N64 is certainly still a classic console, loved by 10s of millions and could easily support the 2-5 million units Nintendo would produce anyways.

Top Bottom