• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entertainment Weekly's Top 10 TV Shows 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20326356_20879078,00.html#30260959

10. Hannibal (NBC)
This engrossing transmutation of Lecter pulp into TV serial dared to depict pop cult's loony romance with evil as a literal doomed one. Hugh Dancy's Will tried to beat Mads Mikkelsen's cannibal at his own game—and wound up gutted by his adversary. Along the twisted path, the show explored themes of transcendence and transgression in intimacy, religion, art, and dining. The audacity of the subject matter was matched by the inventiveness of its presentation. Hannibal is like the roasted bird Will and Lecter swallowed during their last supper, ''a rare but debauched delicacy.''

9. The Good Wife (CBS)
The Good Wife continued its resurgence, tracking Florrick/Agos' rebellion and spinning clashes with Lockhart/Gardner into complex, cheer-for-all-sides warfare, while Will's (Josh Charles) death yielded examinations of grief that avoided clichés and assuagements. This season's been telling a slow-burn story about the cost of relativism and limits of progressivism: Cary (Matt Czuchry) facing the consequences of representing a drug lord; Florrick/Agos diversifying; and Alicia (Julianna Margulies) venturing into politics without getting her soul dirty. Emmy, please watch closely.

8. Game of Thrones (HBO)
After four seasons of hero-decapitating, wedding-massacring, small boy-defenestrating suspense, you'd think Game of Thrones couldn't shock us anymore. But with
Joffrey's poisoning, the Red Viper's eye-gouging, and Tywin's death
atop the, uh, ''throne,'' there were more opportunities than ever to yell ''WHAT?!'' at the TV. What's surprising, then, is that the most talked-about scenes weren't the out-of-nowhere deaths, but the scenes that made us care fiercely about the living.
Cersei's rape
might've been a showrunner blunder, but it inspired more thoughtful debates about consent than you'll find on most college campuses. And Tyrion's courtroom lampooning of the hypocrites in the Red Keep was deeply satisfying. He wasn't just defending himself—he was speaking for all of us.

7. Mad Men (AMC)
As one Tricky Dick begins his reign, another one starts over. The first half of Mad Men's final season defied our worst assumptions of pop culture's representation of rank masculinity to riveting effect, as Don (Jon Hamm) fought through his shame and resentment to reconstruct a better man: daring to be real with his daughter, helping former secretary/now boss Peggy (Elisabeth Moss) flourish. Tempering the optimism were omens of obsolescence and one heartbreaking death that left Don staggered all over again, and us wondering anew where his up-in-the-air life will land. The impending answer will bring to a close one of TV's greatest dramas—and an era.

6. Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)
''Humor is what happens when we're told the truth quicker and more directly than we're used to.'' George Saunders wrote that, but Schumer lived it this season. Her sketch about how tough it is to prosecute a military rape in a videogame (and, by implication, in real life) hit home so hard it hurt. Vignettes about women who enable one another's binge eating and the male fantasy of ''A Chick Who Can Hang'' were spot-on. Even a sketch about a cartoon meerkat made an impact: In that bit, Comedy Central allowed the uncensored use of a slang term for ''vagina.'' Whether or not you think that's a win for feminism, it's definitely a victory for comedy.

5. Louie (FX)
Critics often laud Louis C.K. as an experimentalist who breaks the rules of the half-hour comedy. But this season he proved that he's just as visionary when he skews more traditional, whether writing a multi-episode story arc or going broad with an ep about weight. ''So Did the Fat Lady'' not only skewered our preoccupation with body image, it also pointed out that C.K. is a chubby guy who's still viewed as sexy. Dissecting his own privilege has become his forte. ''None of you guys are special or magical,'' a friend tells him. ''Some of you are luckier, and some of you work harder than others.'' Maybe that's why C.K. is so popular: The higher he ranks on lists like this, the more eager he is to examine how he got there.

4. Please Like Me (Pivot)
This Australian comedy is the perfect coming-of-age story for people who'll never grow up. And that's still true in its wickedly funny second season, which finds 26-year-old Josh (Josh Thomas) and his friends working through post-collegiate angst by drawing tattoos on a baby and cracking jokes about maxi pads. But when Josh's mom (Debra Lawrance) lands back in the psychiatric hospital, it also becomes a surprisingly thought-provoking drama about mental illness. The episode where Josh confronts his mother about her suicide attempt features a particularly gutting conversation about depression. By the end of it, she's laughing and crying at the same time. You will be too.

3. Fargo (FX)
American Horror Story may have reinvented the anthology format, and True Detective may have burnished its allure, but it was Fargo that worked it to near perfection. Writer Noah Hawley appropriated the setting, wit, and worldview of the Coen brothers' 1996 classic to create his own response to an era of trendy Breaking Bad. Solverson (Allison Tolman) is a policewoman of sound mind, big heart, and fearless regard for a culture lousy with demented, desperate, dumb men like Billy Bob Thornton's trickster devil, Martin Freeman's significance-starved schemer, and Colin Hanks' knight-errant. TV needs more of her, and fewer of them, and that was Fargo's point, don'tchaknow.

2. Rectify (SundanceTV)
The long goodbye to the antihero era has been fixated on redemption. Sons of Anarchy was cynical about it. Mad Men, surprisingly hopeful. Searching the hazy in-between is Rectify, a drama about a liberated death-row convict bewildered by his freedom. Creator Ray McKinnon elevated his plaintive saga in season 2 by delving more deeply into a lost soul and those damaged by his brokenness as they pursued flawed strategies for reclamation and repair; and by remaining committed to truth-finding, patient pacing, and careful straddling of naturalism and subjectivity. Rectify, a spiritual drama most humane, exemplifies the best qualities of the redemptive process not in its story but in the telling.

1. Transparent (Amazon)
Yes, it's a drama about three adult siblings (Amy Landecker, Gaby Hoffmann, and Jay Duplass) who have a trans parent (Jeffrey Tambor as Maura, formerly Mort). But that's not the only reason this show from Jill Soloway feels so groundbreaking. Maybe it's that Maura's identity is the most solid one in the family, considering that her kids are still figuring out who they are. Or maybe it's that Transparent challenges the idea that great drama needs heroes or antiheroes: Every character is both at once, making you love them one moment and hate them the next. The show also offers sharp observations about the strange intimacy of siblings, the reinvent-yourself culture of Los Angeles, and the hard-to-admit fact that our parents' sexuality plays a formative role in our own. But its most powerful message is that Maura's experience is so ordinary, because no one's self-image matches the way others see them, whether they're trans or not.

Seeing the painfully unfunny Amy Schumer rank above Hannibal hurts.

Empty

the top two are correct. both extraordinary shows. fargo kinda sucks though. never heard of 'please like me' before. curious about that.

I don't understand the no knick as well

kOAMdCB.gif

thisiswhatever

Neo Member
I am glad to see fargo, transparent, hannibal, and louie on the list.

Never got into Mad Men, The Good Wife, or Game of Thrones.

Haven't seen any of the others, but I don't particularly care for Amy Schumer.

Grizzo

I love Amy Schumer, I think she's a really funny comedian and her stand up had me in tears.

With that being said, the 2nd season of Inside Amy Schumer has been pretty weak or average at most in my opinion.

I'd put Broad City instead. Or maybe Veep which had a fantastic 3rd season this year.

no The Leftovers,The Knick & Orphan Black?

Oh god no

But I would agree regarding The Knick. Brilliant show.

ezekial45

Banned
Hannibal needs to be higher, and The Knick definitely deserved a spot. That show was the biggest surprise for me this year. It was incredible.

Grizzo

Also I wish The Americans was mentioned too. The second season was really great and even more thrilling than the first.

Hannibal's inclusion pleases me, though I find it odd True Detective got the shaft.

Overall, solid list. Clearly emphasized unknown picks over easy ones.

ryseing

You're The Worst was the best comedy of the year, and is probably not going to be mentioned once on any of these lists.

Damned shame. Bad enough it got exiled to FXX for S2.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
OP should mention some of that is spoilers. Specifically the GoT stuff for people not caught up.

If you aren't caught up, why on earth would you read a blurb about the season you didn't watch? That's just being stupid.

Anyway, no True Detective is the most glaring admission, but opinions, etc, etc.

BigDug13

If you aren't caught up, why on earth would you read a blurb about the season you didn't watch? That's just being stupid.

Anyway, no True Detective is the most glaring admission, but opinions, etc, etc.

It's a review of why a TV show is good. Reviews of other things don't spoil plot points do they?

Regardless, it didn't spoil anything for me personally. Was just sayin.

Meier

no The Leftovers,The Knick & Orphan Black?

Orphan Black season 2 was frankly pretty terrible. I haven't seen any of Rectify but it sounds like I need to give it a go. I like that synopsis. Despite it always doing well on these kinds of lists and winning wards, The Good Wife remains one of those shows that just does not appeal to me at all. I've never seen an episode and have no desire to do so.

Also I wish The Americans was mentioned too. The second season was really great and even more thrilling than the first.

We gave up on it.. just became very disillusioned with it personally. Too slow. Didn't really watch much of The Bridge this season either which is something I'd like to, ahem, rectify.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'd do a few small changes in that list (I also haven't seen Please Like Me or Fargo either) but that's a damn good list.

Mononoke

Banned
True Detective fizzled out for me and lost its footing in the final run of episodes. Stepping back and looking at the bigger picture of what the show was trying to accomplish kind of makes it lose its luster for me.

Still, I would easily put it in my top 10 just for the fact that it had some of the best acting, directing and even writing. It was IMO better than any other show this season when it came to those things. Just the overall narrative and what they were going for kind of stumbled and hit the ground.

Tbh with the way season 1 wrapped up and just all the things we've heard about season 2 so far I'm not expecting 2 to be that great. But I'll go in with an open mind (I can accept it being its own thing and not being season 1).

krYlon

Yeah, no, TD was good but there were plenty of better shows this year.

The only other three shows on that list I saw this year were Hannibal, GoT and Fargo. True Detective was better than all of them, even if it had somewhat of a limp ending.

Imo obv

dubc35

Homeland has been killing it this season. I don't watch much TV so I can't comment on it compared to the rest, but it's a damn good season this.

BkMogul

Ctrl + F: Hannibal

Pleased....but not that pleased.

Should be top 5 for sure. Love that show. I thank the NBC gods for continuing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom