• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Deck handheld... would you be interested?

LordBritish

I just realized I have over 250 free epic games from my digital hoarding (fess up if you get all the free epic games just to get them). I would definitely think about plunking down $399 for a dedicated EPIC gamestore OLED handheld that also could run Gamepass games. The hardware business is a tough business to get into (Tencent could definitely help) but if they could hook up with the right manufacturer (cough Razer cough), maybe it could happen. Throw in a couple free limited edition fortnite items with purchase lol.

JimboJones

Why would anyone buy a closed platform handheld that only plays Epic games when any current PC handheld will play games from multiple storefronts including Epic? Steam Deck has $399 model already.
Maybe it would make them improve their launcher
Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Sorcerer

Certainly they would lose money on the hardware and people who used it would boot it up once a week to get the free game. Plus how can you trust the company who don't seem to be interested in making a decent front end for their own store to make a competent handheld? An Epic handheld has disaster written all over it.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If they got out a handheld before Valve it would’ve sold well I bet. Fortnite is very popular on Switch and runs like ass. But Timbo would rather spend his fortune on pointless court cases.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
The only thing "Epic" about it should be their storefront preloaded. Everything else should be as open as other handhelds out there.

If that's the case, and it's got solid specs and some innovative features, then sure.

Why would anyone buy a closed platform handheld that only plays Epic games when any current PC handheld will play games from multiple storefronts including Epic? Steam Deck has a $399 model already.
I just got my steam deck yesterday. I gotta learn how to do all this stuff. I was messing around with Decky Launcher, but it seems a recent update killed it and i had to uninstall to get everything working right again.
I should prioritize adding my epic library.

Topher

Gold Member
I just got my steam deck yesterday. I gotta learn how to do all this stuff. I was messing around with Decky Launcher, but it seems a recent update killed it and i had to uninstall to get everything working right again.
I should prioritize adding my epic library.

This makes it pretty easy....

BlackTron

"dedicated"

"also runs whole gamepass library"

So it's half Xbox, half nerfed PC that only plays games from 1 launcher

Can't I just get half Xbox, half PC? Meh

Nvzman

first to market with 7" 120hz 1080P VRR OLED panel and I'm fucking in, even from Epic.
As an owner of both a deck OLED and a ROG Ally, 1080p panels on these handhelds are fucking worthless because the APUs are not strong enough to play anything within the past 5-6 years at 1080p without sucking up huge amounts of power (the ROG ally basically needs to be plugged in to achieve anything playable past 900p).
I vastly prefer the 90hz OLED of the Deck over the 120hz VRR display of the Ally, I think having the ability to limit the hz yourself alone makes VRR kind of irrelevant to me, I'd rather save the extra performance in exchange for having better battery life (for example, playing Yakuza 8 locked at 45hz on the Deck at 800p and getting like 2hrs 30min of battery life looks and feels far better than the Rog Ally hovering in the 50s at 900p with VRR getting an hour-ish of battery). Valve was incredibly smart with both Deck specs, they knew what really mattered with APUs and handhelds.

Last edited:

Codes 208

why limit yourself to just an epic handheld? I’d rather wait for a price drop on the rog ally or legion go

Atleast if xbox were to make a handheld, you’d have a larger range of compatible games (including games on epic)

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
No I won't be interested for the same reason I wouldn't be interested in an Xbox handheld.

Why get handcuffed to an environment that might go at any point in time?

Top Bottom