• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN investigates the implosion of Draftkings & Fanduel (Fantasy sports betting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ily-fantasy-sports-leaders-draftkings-fanduel

Daily fantasy's meteoric rise -- breathtaking for its breakneck speed, avalanche of investors' cash and ever-spiraling valuations -- spurred the two companies' endlessly annoying, record-shattering arms race for new customers and industry dominance. In only three years, DraftKings zoomed from an idea hatched by three buddies in a Boston barroom into a nearly $2 billion company, replete with comparisons to overnight Silicon Valley unicorns like Uber and Snapchat. FanDuel was right there too. The two companies processed a combined $3 billion in player-entry fees in 2015.

But as quickly as it boomed, the industry bottomed. One year after their headiest moments, FanDuel and DraftKings are still not profitable. Both privately held companies' valuations have been sliced -- by more than half, according to some estimates. The companies have hemorrhaged tens of millions of dollars in legal and lobbying expenses. (DraftKings' attorneys fees once ran as high as $1 million per week.) And the fog bank of the industry's uncertain future has made it nearly impossible for either company to raise new money. (FanDuel's auditors have raised "significant doubts" about the company's future if more states do not declare daily fantasy sports legal.) Three federal grand juries -- in Boston, New York and Tampa, Florida -- have alerted one or both companies that they are under criminal investigation. A merger -- once unthinkable to many -- is on the table.

On Nov. 10, Schneiderman sent cease-and-desist letters to FanDuel and DraftKings, declaring that their games constituted illegal gambling under state law and ordering the companies to stop accepting "bets" from New York residents. "It is clear that DraftKings and FanDuel are the leaders of a massive, multibillion-dollar scheme intended to evade the law and fleece sports fans across the country," Schneiderman declared.

Inside FanDuel's Manhattan offices and DraftKings' Boston headquarters, executives were asked, by an ESPN reporter, about the letters before they had been delivered. Robins was in Sacramento at the statehouse; he got word of Schneiderman's move 10 minutes before meeting with an influential California legislator about a daily fantasy bill. Eccles was in Edinburgh, visiting his mother, when a colleague called him with the bad news. At no point had anyone from Schneiderman's office told them they were facing the prospect of being shut down.

"I was shocked," Eccles says.

Recalls a top DraftKings executive, "We never saw it coming."

Welcome to the big time.

In August, FanDuel redesigned its website, game platform and marketing strategy. Its new one-word slogan is "SportsRich," a trademarked term it defines as "the experience of having all the great stuff sports has to offer."

In block letters in promotional materials, FanDuel says its customers should now expect "excitement, thrills, camaraderie and fantasy. These are all examples of what it is to be SportsRich. NOTE: None of them have anything to do with money."

border

The same 10-15 ex-poker/math savant people were winning 99% of the money

Which should be proof enough that it's a game of skill rather than a game of chance. Though I'm not sure if that's really a distinction that really holds weight in these legal battles.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ive just now realized it's been months since I've seen one of their annoying commercials. I thought they ran shit outside of just football i could have sworn I saw ads last year for baseball. Haven't seen a single one this year.

Good riddance.

old

Which should be proof enough that it's a game of skill rather than a game of chance. Though I'm not sure if that's really a distinction that really holds weight in these legal battles.

While true, they intentionally misrepresented the actual "battles". The commercials presented it as two regular joe schmoes making bets off their gut feelings.

When in reality, you were competing against an ex-commodities trading expert who has hundreds of spreadsheets fed through custom software to generate thousands of bets a day.

Tripon

Wow. At least we won't have to tolerate all those fucking ads in literally every medium this football season.

I hate those commercials.

WELCOME TO THE BIG TIME.

51JMF459R3L._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

bachikarn

As someone who used to play online poker a bunch, I'm still annoyed that they made online gambling illegal. Worse, the only reason it got passed was because it was a rider on an anti-terrorism bill iirc.

Tripon

It's strange to me that betting on games is illegal.

But somehow betting on the metagame is legal?

Betting on the metagame wasn't profitable before. Now there's enough people interested that it is, so companies have started moving towards that in order to improve.

How in the world do you run a gambling business and lose money?

What does betting on the metagame mean?
Betting on the properties of the game instead of the game itself. It's really just a dodge since it's just gambling on a collection of some stats (i.e. I bet the stats of players A, B, C, etc... will beat the stats of your players X, Y, Z, etc...)

Guevara

This is wrong in a pretty major way:

And the fog bank of the industry's uncertain future has made it nearly impossible for either company to raise new money. (FanDuel's auditors have raised "significant doubts" about the company's future if more states do not declare daily fantasy sports legal.)

Except... DraftKings just did raise money from a major investor.

Probably the advertising arms race between the two.
So just up the rake. Sure there's a back and forth to find a profitable equilibrium, but you'd think such a stat-heavy company could work Excel enough to find it PDQ.

Surely, these guys weren't dumb enough to buy their line that this wasn't gambling and couldn't see that this was going to get regulated in due time. Worst. Forecasting. Ever.

jwhit28

It's still sort of disgusting. They operate the same way as before the lawsuits, just not advertising people getting rich quick? But NJ still can't have sports betting? Just call it what it is.

Acerac

Banned
As someone who used to play online poker a bunch, I'm still annoyed that they made online gambling illegal. Worse, the only reason it got passed was because it was a rider on an anti-terrorism bill iirc.
I never gambled online, but always found this strange as well.

While true, they intentionally misrepresented the actual "battles". The commercials presented it as two regular joe schmoes making bets off their gut feelings.

When in reality, you were competing against an ex-commodities trading expert who has hundreds of spreadsheets fed through custom software to generate thousands of bets a day.
Yep, the whole thing was a scam. Joe Sixpack isn't the smartest guy in the world, and is slow to catch on. But after losing a bunch of money it looks like he finally did.

The great Jon Oliver segment on this topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq785nJ0FXQ

bachikarn

How in the world do you run a gambling business and lose money?

Betting on the properties of the game instead of the game itself. It's really just a dodge since it's just gambling on a collection of some stats (i.e. I bet the stats of players A, B, C, etc... will beat the stats of your players X, Y, Z, etc...)

Okay that's what I thought, but I'm a little confused cos I thought betting on meta games IS illegal, and hence some Draft Kings, etc recent legal issues.

Okay that's what I thought, but I'm a little confused cos I thought betting on meta games IS illegal, and hence some Draft Kings, etc recent legal issues.
Their argument is that since you're choosing which stats to use to make up your bet, it's a game of skill and therefore not subject to gambling laws.

It seems to me that casuals finally realized that they cannot make money from this.

Yep. The big-money tournaments are heavily stacked against the casuals since the rich people max out their entries using their simulations and spreadsheets. Plus, you don't really win much in those unless your in like the top 10. Last year in a $1 tourney, I placed 2,254 out of 172,500...and only won $5. And it's REALLY hard to get up that high.

Casuals are better off playing the cheap $1 head-to-heads and 50/50s to build up their bankroll.

I'm convinced they wouldn't have been in this mess in the first place if their heavy marketing didn't piss everyone off.

I was just thinking about this. If only they just kept the ads the way they were before last year, they could have enjoyed a few more years of a happy business.

It's all almost ironic

TomServo

Yep, the whole thing was a scam. Joe Sixpack isn't the smartest guy in the world, and is slow to catch on. But after losing a bunch of money it looks like he finally did.

I played on DraftKings *very* casually last football season... started w/ $15 and ended up w/ $71... definitely in the big time there!

What really shocked me was how many free entries they gave out to players like me trying to entice me to play more. I think I got just under half a dozen free entries into the Millionaire Maker contest. One other entry I did have to pay for, but for buying that one I got free entries for the $3 tournament I had been playing for the last six weeks of the season.

Between the professionals taking the top prizes and the rake being high to throw out so many freebies, they had to have been taking J6P to the cleaners on a weekly basis.

...the rake being high to throw out so many freebies...
How much do the freebies really cost them though? I've never played, so I don't know the exact structure, but they're surely not going to match up two free riders 1-on-1. They've got the stats to know who's likely to win, so they can match free riders up to poor performers to minimize how much they have to pay out. I would imagine tourney payouts are based on paid entries, so adding a few thousand free riders costs them only CPU time.

Badgerst3

I played on DraftKings *very* casually last football season... started w/ $15 and ended up w/ $71... definitely in the big time there!

What really shocked me was how many free entries they gave out to players like me trying to entice me to play more. I think I got just under half a dozen free entries into the Millionaire Maker contest. One other entry I did have to pay for, but for buying that one I got free entries for the $3 tournament I had been playing for the last six weeks of the season.

Between the professionals taking the top prizes and the rake being high to throw out so many freebies, they had to have been taking J6P to the cleaners on a weekly basis.

Same but with fan dual. Made a whopping $18.00 by end of the nfl season.

As a casual I would just play 2-3 $5 head to head games and an occasional top half payout 40 group games.

Was more or less enjoyable- kept me tuned into games on Sunday's.

Easier for me than a full fantasy league. Looking forward to this year. Shrugs.

jman2050

I mean, they set up a clear gambling business and arbitrarily decided it wasn't gambling because reasons, what did they think was going to happen?

jwhit28

Didn't espn have a contract with one of those sites?

Nearly every company that is remotely connected to sports had a deal with them. Even individual teams from NBA NFL etc. The fact that they went in so hard on advertising was ultimately their downfall because they caught the governments attention quick. Looks like not much came of it though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ESPN is investigating a company that paid them millions in annoying ads?

Nearly every company that is remotely connected to sports had a deal with them. Even individual teams from NBA NFL etc. The fact that they went in so hard on advertising was ultimately their downfall because they caught the governments attention quick. Looks like not much came of it though.

Huh? It's severely damaged the entire industry and the effects of legal and legislative action are very much in their infancy.

BradC00

I made a couple hundred bucks playing in the league of legends, and NHL 50/50s, and the normal one (cant remember what its called) last year. the $1 50/50s are hella boring and time consuming to win compared to the payout, and the normal ones are basically just throwing money away unless you are a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom