• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: DraftKings And FanDuel Aren't Paying Vendors, Have Almost No Cash On Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Banned
They ad spammed themselves into bankruptcy.

You gotta spend money to make money, but unfortunately they were shocked and ill-prepared at how the public (and more importantly State Governments like Nevada and New York) took to their business practices.

^
michael-jordan-laugh.gif

I was wondering where those commercials had all gone :p

Not sure if Donald Trump reference…
Honestly, I've been doing everything I can to tune out the election this cycle. I promise if something I said could've been taken as a Trump reference, it was unintentional.

How in God's name do you lose so hard running a gambling business with such low overhead?
Did you not see the $80 million in advertising post in this thread? There's your answer.
As I've said before, "So just up the rake. Sure there's a back and forth to find a profitable equilibrium, but you'd think such a stat-heavy company could work Excel enough to find it PDQ." Advertising costs, even exorbitant ad costs, are just a business expense, this kind of gambling enterprise has tremendous flexibility to adjust their margin. Even more so before all the regulatory action against them.

border

Did you not see the $80 million in advertising post in this thread? There's your answer.
Advertising is not overhead though. Those expenses can be completely controlled, somebody just chose not to. It sounds like they blew all their investors' money trying to outspend each other. They could have increased their rake, or simply waited for their competition to run out of money.

As I've said before, "So just up the rake. Sure there's a back and forth to find a profitable equilibrium, but you'd think such a stat-heavy company could work Excel enough to find it PDQ." Advertising costs, even exorbitant ad costs, are just a business expense, this kind of gambling enterprise has tremendous flexibility to adjust their margin. Even more so before all the regulatory action against them.

So, part of it is because they were running these headline contests with guaranteed prize pools. They were doing this to try to draw more users. What that guaranteed prize pool meant was that they could advertise "Play for a chance at $5,000,000!", but usually they can only guarantee that once they have enough players to grow the prize pool to that size. Instead, they were basically fixing the prize pool ahead of time and hoping it was enough of a draw to bring in at least $5m worth of entries. If they fell short, the company covered the difference.

They also ran a bunch of promos where they did stuff like "deposit $25 and we'll credit your account with an additional $50", which was meant to be incentive to keep them playing in hopes that they'd deposit more real money once they spent through the first stack.

This combo could particularly hurt them, where people using the deposit promos would play in the guaranteed pool contests.

They have to be constantly drawing more and more users, and the methods they used to try to get to the mainstream market were both costly in terms of money and costly in terms of attention to a business model that was likely illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom