• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal CCG is in open beta and on Steam

Shai-Tan

Banned
Yeah, I don't play suffocate at all in my Feln list, just rely on Bloodcaster and Steward of the Past to hold the board while building the mana base to drop bombs. In fact I replaced all 3 suffocate with Feeding time which is 4 cost. Feeding Time is flexible enough to kill any problem card but it's bad if you're behind on board already.

Nordicus

Eternal: Azindel’s Ways Promo Bundle & Redraw Changes!

3 enemy faction cards, and significant draw change.

Your initial hand can never have 0 or 7 power, and second hand has equal chances of 2, 3 and 4 power

Arcane Monitor
5FFTT
1/1
+1/+1 for each of your other units. Your other units have +1/+1.

sN5waoR.png
lC79CN0.png

Nordicus

Running the numbers through a calculator, the new mulligan hands of this new system:

• Lower the amount of 2-power hands by up to 23% for 25 power decks. (Note: Actual power, not Seek Power etc.)
  • Lower the amount of 3-power hands by 7-9%
  • Increase the amount of 4-power hands (when we compared to former 4&5 combined) in low power decks by up to 57%
  • Make the least difference for 30 power decks, where the 9% lowered occurrence rate of 3s is distributed to 2 and 4 evenly

So, in my opinion, the changes to mulligan help midrange a lot and may hurt some really aggressive decks' opening hands

Wok

I finally achieved "Forge Expert", which means I manage to beat Forge without a single loss 5 times. I think a good plan is to pick Blue/Purple. This was my deck for the last victory, with lots of premium.

1 Levitate (Set1 #190)
1 Rapid Shot (Set1 #259)
1 Worn Shield (Set1 #407)
1 Borderlands Waykeeper (Set1 #517)
1 Dark Wisp (Set1 #264)
1 East-Wind Herald (Set1 #201)
2 Lightning Strike (Set1 #197)
1 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
1 Wild Cloudsnake (Set1 #195)
1 Blackguard Sidearm (Set1 #266)
1 Recurring Nightmare (Set1 #382)
1 Skysnapper (Set1 #208)
1 Back-Alley Bouncer (Set1 #284)
1 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
3 Serpent Trainer (Set1 #219)
1 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
1 Stormcaller (Set1 #224)
1 Yeti Troublemaker (Set1 #222)
2 Aerial Ace (Set1 #235)
2 Jotun Warrior (Set1 #226)
7 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
7 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
2 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)

fuzzyset

I finally achieved "Forge Expert", which means I manage to beat Forge without a single loss 5 times. I think a good plan is to pick Blue/Purple. This was my deck for the last victory, with lots of premium.

I think Feln (blue/purp) and Combrei (Green/Yellow) are really strong draft picks. I tend to pick them the most.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Really went in on Eternal this weekend and having a blast. Played ~10hrs I think. I caved to temptation and bought gems + Jekk's. I reaaaally hope this game has the staying power to build a community around.

P Chapin is doing a AMA on the subreddit this Friday FYI https://www.reddit.com/r/EternalCar...atrick_chapin_ama_eternal_dev_here_on_friday/

Apparently he's 'teasing' a new mulligan system.

here's a commentary on the AMA if you want to nerd out on game and card design:

https://rngeternal.com/2017/04/17/going-deep-the-chapin-ama/

and here are some spoilers from discord:

Patch this week
We have been shown an image a couple days ago which is most likely from the campaign
The campaign will feature some lore
There will probably be some VO attached to cards and some specific to the campaign(s?)
Patches are often on Thursday or Friday (US time)

We're in a bit of a lull where people who have been playing the game since closed beta are experiencing card fatigue so hopefully this is moving it along towards release and then set 2 which they also say is coming "soon" (weeks or months is unknown). Some speculation is that they release the game first then 1+ months later set 2.

patchday

Running the numbers through a calculator, the new mulligan hands of this new system:

• Lower the amount of 2-power hands by up to 23% for 25 power decks. (Note: Actual power, not Seek Power etc.)
  • Lower the amount of 3-power hands by 7-9%
  • Increase the amount of 4-power hands (when we compared to former 4&5 combined) in low power decks by up to 57%
  • Make the least difference for 30 power decks, where the 9% lowered occurrence rate of 3s is distributed to 2 and 4 evenly

So, in my opinion, the changes to mulligan help midrange a lot and may hurt some really aggressive decks' opening hands

huh that sounds interesting. Yeah wasn't a big fan of the mulligan system when I last played (granted it was awhile back)

Sinistral

New revised introductory campaign is out, as well as voice over and sounds for a lot of cards.

At work, but watched a couple streamers play the changes, and it's definitely looking good.

The game needs some new blood.

Nordicus

The new starter campaign is definitely better for bringing some flavor into the setting early. The story might also distract from how dull the starter decks are :p

Shai-Tan

Banned
I had fun brewing for a couple days but beyond that I don't see the promos supporting different decks enough to be anything but a novelty. We really need to get the game released and then set 2 for it to be fresh again.

When they release the game and start making spoilers for set 2 maybe someone can make an official thread with graphics and a well written explanation of the game and resources for it as I did a poor job with this one. I'd like to see the game succeed in the niche it's in.

norm9

Decided to give this another go-around on my mobile while I was stymied during my Shadowverse story mode play through.

Other than the generic artwork, I forgot how much I like this game. Really like have influence as the determining factor as to whether you can play a card or not. Low-key beat a character's chapter at work.

Can't wait until they fix the mobile UI so that there's more real estate for the cards and less superfluous stuff. Kind of difficult to read everything.

When they release the game and start making spoilers for set 2 maybe someone can make an official thread with graphics and a well written explanation of the game and resources for it as I did a poor job with this one. I'd like to see the game succeed in the niche it's in.

Can't wait for an OT.

Wok

This game is incredibly generous in terms of F2P currency. After (almost*) every draft, I have close to enough money for another ride.

* almost because it can happen that I don't get at least 5-3 with a Primal-Shadow deck, but it is very rare.

Last draft:

And now, I am sitting on a pile of currency:

Plus getting to that point in terms of card collection, as a F2P player, is not common in my experience of F2P CCG games.

Shai-Tan

Banned
They're doing a constructed gauntlet (7 wins or 2 losses) event this weekend which is very generous. Even if you go 0-3 it gives 3 packs for 2000 gold (packs are 1000 gold). It's kind of a gold sink for set 2 but if you don't have set 1 cards or want to win premiums it's the best way until it ends.

Nordicus

Revenge = "When a unit with Revenge dies, it is shuffled into the top ten cards of its owner's deck... It permanently loses Revenge and gains Destiny."

Was not expecting a recurring unit mechanic out of first Argenport reveal tbh.

Nordicus

http://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/omens-of-the-past-preview-event/

A preview event this weekend with spoiler cards revealed up until then limited to the faction pairs in the set. Maybe too few to really have fun in constructed but it's something new.
Info on that is already up in the game. Looks like a "Heroic Tavern Brawl" sort of deal with buy-ins.

I might have a run or two, at worst case it was 4k gold for 4 Omens packs.

OH, ALSO! Scarlatch revealed the post-expansion draft format:
A couple of people have asked about draft format once Omens of the Past releases. It'll be similar to current draft structure, except alternating between Set 2 and Set 1 packs (two of each, 2-1-2-1).

Looks like they won't split draft player pool with this. Also, since it's 2-1-2-1, it at least won't fuck up signals.

Volodja

I don't think Eternal has the player pool to afford splitting too much, so their implementation for draft is probably a good idea.

Nordicus

Can't help but think they made this card a 3-drop to contest Valkyrie Enforcer in justice decks
Got a 1-3 playing derpy Praxis midrange in the event. Whatever, I got my giant Shogun of the Wastes board once! That was the game I won as well

Volodja

The event went pretty well for me considering that I played the cheapest form of Praxis Tokens possible (I only own 2 Xenan Obelisks, 1 Obliterate and so on).
Managed to get around rank 450, which may fall before the end of the event, though.
Never got 7 wins, however, 6 was my maximum.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I didn't play that much but got mainly 4-6 wins with Hooru Control and Argenport Aggro. I think I'm burnt out on these cards though. I've been playing Elder Scrolls Legends instead and will probably play it until set 2 comes because they are getting their expansion this week (helps explain why Eternal isn't getting theirs until July)

Here's the latest spoiler:

unknown.png

Fire already has Furnace Mage so I don't know how playable it is 1 mana more expensive for virtual "draw a card", 1 attack, and overwhelm but we don't see all the warp/praxis synergy yet.

edit: just noticed the spelling error on the card. Lol

Nordicus

Here's the latest spoiler:

unknown.png

Fire already has Furnace Mage so I don't know how playable it is 1 mana more expensive for virtual "draw a card", 1 attack, and overwhelm but we don't see all the warp/praxis synergy yet.
2 things of note tho.

One, for Time, 5 attack matters, and two, Overwhelm also matters a lot when your deck has Arcanum Monitors and Xenan Obelisk.

We'll have to see. I'll toy with that card a bit for sure

Volodja

I didn't play that much but got mainly 4-6 wins with Hooru Control and Argenport Aggro. I think I'm burnt out on these cards though. I've been playing Elder Scrolls Legends instead and will probably play it until set 2 comes because they are getting their expansion this week (helps explain why Eternal isn't getting theirs until July)
More than reasonable, I'd say.
The events matches were the first matches I've played in months as I got bored of cards being largely the same since closed beta, especially with the pool not being that deep yet.
I know others that have pretty much stopped playing because of the same reason while other games are getting more constant updates.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Finally, some good cards. The rares both look playable. They said one of the next events will have legendary set 2 cards in it similar to the last "preview" event but they weren't clear about it being this weekend or the next.

Nordicus

Had 0-2 and 2-2 runs with Primal Flier control in the event. Enough for me.

This new spoiler I think can find spots in a lot of decktypes since it's non-growing Mystic Ascendant that comes 1 turn early. There are a lot of minor healing units/relics that can easily proc every turn.

Nordicus

Revenge spoilers!
Two things of note:
1) Spells themselves can have Revenge
2) The old Clockroach can buff Tock Tick
I didn't even touch the event, I preferred to just save my money for Draft once Set 2 hits or something.
Was gonna do the same but I've got like 30k gold piled up and am certainly gonna put a bit of money in the game once the expansion's out

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm looking forward to trying out that new roach. I played many variations of roach decks the last few months of closed beta. Hopefully it's got a few more new cards for inclusion. It might be worth playing devour with it to speed up draw, kind of like dark wisp but you get the draw from the unit later. Should probably wait until more spoilers before I start theorycrafting.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm not too excited about any of those legendaries but Mask of Torment looks like it will be fun to brew with... when we eventually get the rest of the cards. I think I've had enough playing unsupported and mono faction pairs. I'm back above 100k gold, doing my daily quests, waiting to play draft at the actual release, playing a bit of ESL which already has new cards.

Nordicus

Seriously getting tired of inconsistent Lifeforce text. Eternal is fucking digital, it has tooltips if card doesn't explain its keywords enough!
I do think most of these cards are cool tho.
I'm not too excited about any of those legendaries but Mask of Torment looks like it will be fun to brew with... when we eventually get the rest of the cards. I think I've had enough playing unsupported and mono faction pairs. I'm back above 100k gold, doing my daily quests, waiting to play draft at the actual release, playing a bit of ESL which already has new cards.
I don't see anything being bad about unsupported colour pairs, gets the brewers going. But I *do* dislike it when there's not enough cards to build around the build-around card. Last time Cradle, and this time the dumb Praxis spell. I'd rather try playing fucking Idol of Destran.

Volodja

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/333440139965628419/Humbug_Swarm.png[/IMG] [IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/333441138956697600/Cloudsnake_Harrier.png[/IMG] [IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/333442617415172106/Eilyns_Choice.png[/IMG]

Nordicus

These Choice removal spells will be incredibly important in Set 2. Interesting that the fast version of Vanquish requires an attacking opponent. I like that.

Tho Humbug Swarm is the card I actually want to try in Obelisk decks :p

Volodja

Somebody pointed out in the Eternal Discord that Cloudsnake Harrier kills himself with Lightning Storm, which is pretty funny.

Volodja

Quite a few spoilers today.
Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/334083045743263754/Watcher_of_the_Big_Ones.png[/IMG][IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/334083650713026570/Firemane_Cub.png[/IMG][IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/334099557510021123/Clever_Stranger.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/334084385773191168/Champion_of_Fury.png[/IMG][IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/334092419144351756/Spirit_of_Resistance.png[/IMG][IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325936845890519042/334104211602276354/Extract.png[/IMG]

Nordicus

Not entirely convinced by the Skycrag champ, but I may be proven wrong. It is better than the Praxis one, I will admit.

Clever Stranger feels like an almost better Fortunate Stranger, at least when you only have 1 on board, because I feel stranger decks want to get a card draw engine way before 6 mana.

Extract may replace a card in my derpy manacles burn deck. Really good draft card tho.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Been away from the game for months - picked it back up to go through the preview event. Went 2-3 which I'm happy with considering I barely remembered how to play or what the keywords are. It gets me 5 packs for 3000 gold which I guess I'll take.

Man... I REALLY like the design and feel of this game. Worried about it's health, though. It's down to like ~1k concurrents, and a cards-only expansion doesn't feel splashy enough to bring people back in.

Nordicus

Man... I REALLY like the design and feel of this game. Worried about it's health, though. It's down to like ~1k concurrents, and a cards-only expansion doesn't feel splashy enough to bring people back in.
I think it'll do well if DWD doesn't completely stand there with a thumb up their ass when it comes to advertising, when it's finally time for full release.

Jekk's Bounty was a nice little ~250 bump to average players and that was just 16 card adventure.

But even considering that and some promotional cards, we've been playing with largely the same cards for like a year now. A 200 card expansion will give the game new life.

That said, the communication, organization and transparency have all been lacking during Early Access, and the expansion/release is consistently implied as being within a month or so. The playerbase is getting restless and as nice as card spoilers are, that doesn't remedy it. I fear they may yet do some completely avoidable mistakes in how they handle Eternal's fanbase and/or marketing.

Top Bottom