• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

Castef

Banned
That's a shame. Which parts of the game in particular are not to your liking? The rather clumsy AI of your team? The difficulty curve? The graphics or music?

Ally IA is not good. They seem to not be able to evaluate situations at all in most cases.

Difficulty curve seem not... homogeneous. It has more spikes than your typical Mystery Dungeon.

It does not help that the setting is very flat and uninteresting.

On a nice note, as usual for Etrian games the soundtrack is very good.

Zweizer

Banned
Ally IA is not good. They seem to not be able to evaluate situations at all in most cases.

Difficulty curve seem not... homogeneous. It has more spikes than your typical Mystery Dungeon.

I personally didn't have much trouble as far as difficulty is concerned, but I guess it really depends on your team composition and playstyle. It's harder than Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but still easier than the DS Shiren the Wanderer, despite the DOEs and their own quirks.

No argument against the AI and setting however, even if the latter gets a little more expanded as you advance in the game.

omlet

AI definitely was frustrating at times, especially their pathing if they get separated, and the discrepancies between room and hallway behavior were annoying as well. I don't care that there is an item to warp them back to you, there is no good reason for the programming to be like that... ._.

That aside, I found the game to be very easy once you get the basics down after the first dungeon or two, to the point of being boring outside of boss fights (which tended to be easy as well, but at least the tension was there because of not knowing what they'd do), even in the post-game, where my only wipe (and a disastrous one, at that) was due to a dead battery, and never any enemies in game. I do, however, feel that the rare (sparkly) enemies are way overtuned in this game... they are often stronger than bosses and have DOE levels of HP but since they're just basic enemies with absurd stats they're not really interesting.

The music is, indeed, quite good, as you say!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah the AI did not exactly work right and other things such as balance between the enemies / DOEs and actual floor bosses is a bit off, but overall was an enjoyable experience regardless of that as they actually took two totally different things and managed to blend them quite well.

As the project could have been a total trainwreck on the other side of things lol.

redcrayon

That's my take on it too- they did really well to merge both the EO and MD games into something that keeps the flavour of both, it could have been much worse.

My main complaint is that the dungeons just aren't interesting, and most of the loot is useless compared to buying and melding/forging weapons, and so by the end I was dashing around just looking for stairs.

The new mechanic I thought was great was the system for forts and training reserves so you can experiment with different parties, although to be honest I only had three fort battles in my 40 hour playthrough as I tended to exterminate the DOEs as I found them. In EO it's rare for me to be able to handle a FOE on the first encounter until the late game, and so I thought EOMD was incredibly easy in comparison. The bosses were an absolute joke, too.

Zweizer

Banned
Finally reached Muspelheim. Goody gee, now that's one worthy track. Didn't expect it at all, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Parakeetman

i need to check if there is an ost for sale and how much then stress over if i should buy it or not lol

tuffy

It is a really good soundtrack, and it's over 2 hours long so there's quite a lot of it, and the Yen is really cheap now so it's not all that expensive, so I regret nothing!

But I have all the Etrian OSTs, so I'm not the best source of impartial advice, either.

Parakeetman

It is a really good soundtrack, and it's over 2 hours long so there's quite a lot of it, and the Yen is really cheap now so it's not all that expensive, so I regret nothing!

But I have all the Etrian OSTs, so I'm not the best source of impartial advice, either.

Exchange rates dont effect me considering I live here lol.

The last OST I bought was the Xenoblade X one and even that took a while before I finally bought it. D:

Parakeetman

EU schedule at hand. I'll be like y'all, waiting for the localization announcement 6 months later ( ; _ ;)

I wonder if Atlus + Chunsoft is going to release another one of these, seeing as how it was received fairly well.

Bout EOV, guess we need P5 and that WiiU game to come out first before they decide to announce anything new...

Zweizer

Banned
I wonder if Atlus + Chunsoft is going to release another one of these, seeing as how it was received fairly well.

Bout EOV, guess we need P5 and that WiiU game to come out first before they decide to announce anything new...

More side games seems likely, but yeah, EO5 needs to come out first.

Top Bottom