• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey games are so engrossing.

rrvv

Unpopular opinion but I wish there is complete map generation option instead you have to manually draw it.

Is fine for few minute but become tedious later on

vareon

Sounds perfect, gonna get it soon :D

I've seen a lot of EO but if it's a rote dungeon crawler, I'll lose interest. I need engaging story and characters.

You should get either EO Untold (1 or 2) and Persona Q as they're basically adding much more story and characters to EO gameplay.

entremet

Unpopular opinion but I wish there is complete map generation option instead you have to manually draw it.

Maybe it's a personality thing, but I love drawing maps. Automap takes the fun outta of it.

FC Bayern

Trailer for EO4 resulted in my buying a 3DS and the 3 previous games (at the time).

EO3 is still my favourite one of them all (including persona Q) just because of how many viable options there were, not to mention the difficulty that wasn't entirely tied into grinding (shitty builds/party setups were still very fatal).

I also have a Vita, own every English DRPG there too. None have come close to the depth of EO3's class/subclass systems. Most are based off Wizardry games (which isnt a bad thing), but they don't have a heap of viable party choices/setups.

I would love the series to come to the Vita, as I would be prepared to sacrifice the quality of life of the second screen for mapping (probably changed similar to how VLR dealt with it), for trophies, a sharper resolution and not having to choose between a 1-2 week wait to import the game at a reasonable price and being bent over and made to grab my ankles due to the Australian digital prices.

KarmaCow

Sounds perfect, gonna get it soon :D

I've seen a lot of EO but if it's a rote dungeon crawler, I'll lose interest. I need engaging story and characters.

Well I wouldn't go into Persona Q if you think EO games are not engaging. It's also a pure fanservice game moreso than a new entry in the Persona series. It's not really about the story but seeing the Persona 3 and 4 characters heightened and interacting with each other. There is so much inane chatter that I fast forwarded through all the dialogue before giving up on the game but I have no affection for the Persona characters.

I dunno, this is like asking for a racing game to handle the acceleration for you. Mapping the dungeon is part in parcel with the experience of exploring it.

Theosmeo

EOIV is like $10 RN on the 3DS Eshop and its well worth it, want to pick up 3 after because of its godlike music. It inspired me to make a remix of the battle and boss themes which was the most fun I've had remixing something in months.

KTallguy

Banned
Well I wouldn't go into Persona Q if you think EO games are not engaging. It's also a pure fanservice game moreso than a new entry in the Persona series. It's not really about the story but seeing the Persona 3 and 4 characters heightened and interacting with each other. There is so much inane chatter that I fast forwarded through all the dialogue before giving up on the game but I have no affection for the Persona characters.

I'm finishing Persona 3 and know P4 very well, so the main reason I'm getting PQ is for that. I like dungeon crawling games for the pure gameplay, but I'll get sick of it unless there's something tying it together. I'm not worried about the mapping thing, I got my start on PC rpgs... pencil and paper baby! :)

OuterLimits

I find the map making process really tedious, maybe I'm just doing it wrong...

The Untold versions have auto mapping which I admit I use. That fills in the walls and floors so I only need to mark doors and stuff. I think IV may have it as well, but I have only really played the Untold 1 and 2 much.

redcrayon

Mapmaking is the best thing about it for me, marking the shortcuts, traps, teleporters etc. I find drawing a floor to the point where I can add an auto-move route from one staircase to the next to be one of the most satisfying things in gaming for me.

I've been a fan since EO1, and am eagerly awaiting the EU release of EOU2 next month. I hope we get some info on EOV this year.

vareon

You know, this series is one of the reason I'm worried if Nintendo ditches the dual screen. Sure you can replicate the mapmaking process in a single touchscreen but it's just not the same.

tomasdk

I have yet to play EO IV or both Untold games but I liked the music from EO1 the best, probably because at the time it was mind blowing that I could draw my own map inside the game and also the difficulty was very high and the music just clicked with me, especially the 3rd stratum, Azure Forest or something like that. I liked the gameplay of EO3 the most though, finished all endings, but didn't finish the ship exploration part, didn't like it too much.

squall211

I've played IV and the first Untold (and Persona Q). Very enjoyable games. The only "problem" I have with them is that because they take so long to finish, by the time I'm done with the game I am completely burned out.

The only one I've played/owned is EOIV, and I never played it through to completion, but of the 35 or so hours I did clock, I loved, and I plan to go back to it at some point. It is really engrossing, and there's something addictive about map making.

Looking forward to EOU2 coming out over here, though I may hold off buying until I sit down and finish off EOIV.

Top Bottom