• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU Parliament ponders plan to let Indiviual Brits opt-in to keep their EU citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomizer

Being from Northern Ireland I already have the luxury of remaining a citizen of the EU. Technically we all have dual nationality. I consider Irish my true nationality anyway.

StayDead

I think it's unacceptable. Why would be the British citizen treated better than the European ones on British soil? Give British citizenship to the EU residents in UK and I wouldn't care that the Britons get the European one.
Otherwise you made your bed and must lie in it.

The problem with this entire train off thought is you're not only throwing a lot of the country under the bus that either couldn't vote (children for example who have no choice), you're also throwing the 16.x million people who voted remain under the bus as well.

I certainly didn't make the bed and no I don't want to lie in it. :(

azyless

So potentially every single british citizen including Leave voters could be in a non-EU country yet keep free movement and other benefits ? While telling european citizens in the UK to get fucked ? I'm not sure what the EU would gain from that and I can't really agree with this tbh.

Actually why only "european citizens in the UK" since this doesn't only concern "UK citizens in other european countries".

itsgreen

The problem with this entire train off thought is you're not only throwing a lot of the country under the bus that either couldn't vote (children for example who have no choice), you're also throwing the 16.x million people who voted remain under the bus as well.

Welcome to democracy.

So potentially every single british citizen including Leave voters could be in a non-EU country yet keep free movement and other benefits ? While telling european citizens in the UK to get fucked ? I'm not sure what the EU would gain from that and I can't really agree with this tbh.

Europe: for funsies do it before the Dutch general election, and also continue to claim that the only way to stop a Donald Trump in Europe is closer ties. Let's see what people think, in I guess every country.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Yea. I don't think this is a solution at all without EU citizens having the same rights.
I'd be royally pissed off if a leave voter got the right of freedom of movement while an EU citizen is denied the same right.

"The exact moment we need unity"???? FUUUUCK YOU! You LITERALLY just won a vote which is openly against the idea of unity! This sentence makes me seethe with rage.

StayDead

Welcome to democracy..

Democracy is flawed as proven by not only this vote, but also the vote in America. You can't take a vote with a 1% or 2% difference as a clear victory for one side. You can't sit there claiming "hurr will of the people" in government when you're basically ignoring 50% of the voting populace. People, honestly are not smart enough to vote for this kind of change. Half the large leave voting areas then spent the past 3-4 months complaining that they won't get any of the money they once got from the EU and have literally comitted economic suicide. There's no way those areas are getting anything from our government.

Democracy in it's current form just simply doesn't work anymore.

Not gonna happen giving people the privilege of the EU citizenship while their nation doesn't pay a shit for it.

Maybe if such a citizen pays the same amount of money as the largest per capital payer + some hundred Euros more every year as fee.

GeeTeeCee

Democracy is flawed as proven by not only this vote, but also the vote in America. You can't take a vote with a 1% or 2% difference as a clear victory for one side. You can't sit there claiming "hurr will of the people" in government when you're basically ignoring 50% of the voting populace. People, honestly are not smart enough to vote for this kind of change. Half the large leave voting areas then spent the past 3-4 months complaining that they won't get any of the money they once got from the EU and have literally comitted economic suicide. There's no way those areas are getting anything from our government.

This.

I'm already sick and tired of Theresa May and the press referring to Brexit as "the will of the British people" and something we "overwhelmingly" voted in favour for. Bugger off - the margin was way too thin for that to be the case. It's like half the nation simply doesn't matter anymore.

If any Brit cares enough about keeping EU citizenship then move to a different country. I am sure there will be simpler residency visas and paths to citizenship for you.

Joni

You know what is great. This would mean all companies where these people are clients have to follow the EU GDPR rules. If you want to protect your privacy in the UK, you should jump on this if it comes.

Whilst I am all for this, and would definitely get one if it were to pass the EU parliament, I can't see it happening without a strict tax on UK citizens who sign up, else they would be still getting a lot of the perks of being an EU citizen, whilst the country doesn't pay.

Will really keep an eye on this one though.

Dascu

This is a lone amendment on a non-binding report. Has zero legal value even if it's accepted, which it won't be.

Majukun

wait..so they would continue to get the benefits while their nation will have none of the bad parts of being part of the EU?

that sounds...incredibly unfair towards the rest of the EU

Whilst I am all for this, and would definitely get one if it were to pass the EU parliament, I can't see it happening without a strict tax on UK citizens who sign up, else they would be still getting a lot of the perks of being an EU citizen, whilst the country doesn't pay.

Will really keep an eye on this one though.

It will never go through the Eastern European countries who were denied the privilege of the EU citizenship for years because of countries like the UK.

Toxi

Banned
As with everything, we were there first ;)
If only Boris Johnson had taken the job as PM, we could have been like two peas in a pod.

ncs_modified20160225134858maxw640imageversiondefaultar-160229311.jpg

Mr. Sam

This seems too good to be true, frankly. That said:

I'd go for this even if it meant renouncing my UK citizenship.

"Sir, you didn't have to record a video of you wiping your arse with your British passport while a union flag burns in the background."
"But it doesn't hurt my chances, right?"

Madness

Fuck off I didn't make that bed. I refuse to lie in it.

Let the racists and the pig shit ignorant have their glorious splendid isolation and let the rest of us in the real world have a chance.

No you didn't make the bed, but you will HAVE to lie in it because your countrymen made it for you. You cannot have your cake and eat it too, if we want another analogy. Why would the EU give full member privileges to British citizens who voted Remain or want it when EU nationals are not likely to receive the same benefits or concessions from Britain? If I was a frenchman or Spaniard or German why would I want a Brit to not only keep their EU passport, be given free visa travel and work and even voting privileges in the union when their country voted to leave? You are beholden to the actions of your elected government just like every citizen is.

Majukun

No you didn't make the bed, but you will HAVE to lie in it because your countrymen made it for you. You cannot have your cake and eat it too, if we want another analogy. Why would the EU give full member privileges to British citizens who voted Remain or want it when EU nationals are not likely to receive the same benefits or concessions from Britain? If I was a frenchman or Spaniard or German why would I want a Brit to not only keep their EU passport, be given free visa travel and work and even voting privileges in the union when their country voted to leave? You are beholden to the actions of your elected government just like every citizen is.

exactly...basically they would get all the good parts of being part of the EU,without the bad ones....at least for the population..the UK would still need to deal with being out of the free market zona..but considring they are taking ages before actually leaving,they would probably have new commercial alliances ready for when they are actually out of it.

Joni

exactly...basically they would get all the good parts of being part of the EU,without the bad ones....at least for the population..the UK would still need to deal with being out of the free market zona..but considring they are taking ages before actually leaving,they would probably have new commercial alliances ready for when they are actually out of it.
Not allowed to negotiate until you leave.

People who voted leave are not my countrymen. They are my enemy. People who voted Trump are not my allies. They are my enemy. I will do all I can to hamper to progress of my enemy, for they have done everything they can to defeat me.

I would gladly retain EU passports, if only to shove it in the face of anyone who dares believe that I need to stand with them in leaving for'unity'. Never, I say, never! Shall I break bread with them.

Bad idea unless they have to give up their UK citizenship. What may happen is that UK people have all rights to freely move within EU while EU citizens dont get to go to UK

VegiHam

Screw that. Our 'elected government' is the result of a gerrymandered to fuck rigged system and they didn't even get a majority of the public vote. Most of us didn't want them and 16 out of 33 of us voted against the suicidal leave proposal our unelected government threw out to win over UKIP voters because they expected it not to pass. I was born a citizen of the EU and have lived my whole life as a European and I don't see why that should be taken from me just because the EU region I live in has fallen under the control of separatists.

Sign me up for Associate Citizenship asap.

Alienfan

Actually why only "european citizens in the UK" since this doesn't only concern "UK citizens in other european countries".

British people's money

Peyotl

Neo Member
I dont know if its would weaken the EU stance, but I would love to have my UK friends the chance to still be part of the European project, despite their awful government.
Then again, it would be terrible unfair to a lot of other people ...

Not sure what to think, to be honest.

Joni

But you want to lose those people.
No. Europe wouldn't have enough of those profiles to replace them. Moving these centers helps create low level jobs. These people need shops, restaurants,... The buildings need cleaners,... It isn't just interesting to have these high class jobs. Europe really doesn't have a huge high educated class without jobs. Western Europe misses highly educated people in a lot of sectors. We need low entry jobs, which can often be increased by having high paying jobs in the area. You for instance don't need waiters if no one actually goes to a restaurant.

No. Europe wouldn't have enough of those profiles to replace them. Moving these centers helps create low level jobs. These people need shops, restaurants,... The buildings need cleaners,... It isn't just interesting to have these high class jobs. Europe really doesn't have a huge high educated class without jobs. Western Europe misses highly educated people in a lot of sectors. We need low entry jobs, which can often be increased by having high paying jobs in the area. You for instance don't need waiters if no one actually goes to a restaurant.

I'm not even sure what your point is.

UK's EU immigrants are better educated than the native population. That stream would just move to the next EU countries.

Also funny to claim that the potential cities don't have already the necessary infrastructure.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
That's one move to further ensure the financial center of europe leaves the UK.

Joni

I'm not even sure what your point is.

UK's EU immigrants are better educated than the native population. That stream would just move to the next EU countries.

Also funny to claim that the potential cities don't have already the necessary infrastructure.

The people that could immigrate easily to another Country are the highly educated. Joe the plumber wouldn't be able to afford the move. So this move effectively aims at the higher educated in the UK. So the EU would look at gaining back both its migrants and their peers in the UK. And no, if more people move to these cities, they will need more entry level people. It is basically the argument of why migration is bad. You have more people, you need more infrastructure. If you however are willing to expand that infrastructure, then migration is good because it gives the incentive.

It wouldn't help our economy as we wouldn't be able to be part of the single market (at least not on the deal we currently have).

redcrayon

Brexiteers object to it only because it isn't in their interests to have everyone constantly reminded that 49% of UK voters consider themselves part of the EU.

It's bad enough when a single parliament on a meagre majority starts making major decisions that discriminate against almost half the country, but at least you can vote them out after a few years. Leaving the EU is permanent, it's the most important decision facing the country in a generation, and I'm worried about the enthusiasm in government (and even those who voted leave) for rushing it through as quickly as possible without examining the consequences. Its if doing so before any flaws can be noticed is important because of what might happen if we stop and examine the plan that allegedly exists.

danthefan

Bad idea unless they have to give up their UK citizenship. What may happen is that UK people have all rights to freely move within EU while EU citizens dont get to go to UK

As a non British EU citizen I'm absolutely fine with British citizens who want to retain their EU rights.

Can we limit it to people who voted remain though? Obviously no but if this happened anyone who availed of it after voting leave can get fucked.

I really love the way this is freaking out the Brexit idiots. They know how tenuous their victory was.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Leave comments are hilarious. "You can't give unilateral benefits to our citizens abroad because it divides our great nation, how dare you, no benefits must be given"

Valkyria

Banned
Screw that. Our 'elected government' is the result of a gerrymandered to fuck rigged system and they didn't even get a majority of the public vote. Most of us didn't want them and 16 out of 33 of us voted against the suicidal leave proposal our unelected government threw out to win over UKIP voters because they expected it not to pass. I was born a citizen of the EU and have lived my whole life as a European and I don't see why that should be taken from me just because the EU region I live in has fallen under the control of separatists.

Sign me up for Associate Citizenship asap.
I was born in a world where even I was not British I could live there as one. You took that away from me and the rest of EU citizens, now you want the rest of us to treat you better that how you treat us.
Yeah that's not fair at all.

autolesbona

Neo Member

As a remain voter I really hope the government gives them sweet fa. I don't understand how in the 21st century there are still so many stupid people

The people that could immigrate easily to another Country are the highly educated. Joe the plumber wouldn't be able to afford the move. So this move effectively aims at the higher educated in the UK. So the EU would look at gaining back both its migrants and their peers in the UK. And no, if more people move to these cities, they will need more entry level people. It is basically the argument of why migration is bad. You have more people, you need more infrastructure. If you however are willing to expand that infrastructure, then migration is good because it gives the incentive.

After Brexit they are either forced to leave the UK or they will move back to their EU countries on their own because of the lack of job opportunities.

The EU isn't dependent on UK citizens moving to the EU, so there is no need to provide UK citizens with some privileges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom