• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Firewatch review-bombed following PewDiePie racism incident

Review bombing should be a tool to express disapproval when devs are trying to exploit consumers. Not to shit on good devs taking actions against a notorious racist, who doesn't want to be associated with that person.

This is what bothers me most about Youtube\Twitch personalities. If something happens at all to one of their precious "internet friends" then people go nuts and go on the attack. Even when the Youtuber says, "Please don't do this" they still attack.

Lister

Banned
Review bombing should be a tool to express disapproval when devs are trying to exploit consumers. Not to shit on good devs taking actions against a notorious racist, who doesn't want to be associated with that person.

When you open the window to review bombing for one reason, it's open for the other too.

Wish there was something that could be done. You need to own the game on Steam to review bomb it, right?

Myabe better filters? I don't know that anything can be done.

Galang

Banned
Fucking pathetic as fuck! All the steam accounts that did this deserve to be banned and have their accounts completely wiped for this.

DatAhmedz

DHZ1g06UwAAN3QX.jpg

Riviakn

Banned
While I don't understand, neither support, what they are trying to achieve with the Bad Reviews. This is just another system that can be exploited and used against someone, like Campo Santo with the Copyright Claims.

Edit: Before there's a missunderstanding, as I said in other thread, I understand Campo Santo actions, but the system can also be exploited by Publishers to take down reviews they don't like, same Example I used: Bungie Taking Down every video talking about the new Shaders system

Lurk

Banned

It's either all okay, or none of it's okay.

CHC

Pathetic, but Campo Santo still has the last laugh - they've already sold over a million copies of their (excellent) game.

Steam user reviews are basically a garbage bin, anyway, but this is nevertheless an embarrassment for these "reviewers."

I wish Valve would step up and stop enabling this kind of behavior via lack of proper moderation.

Valve will do what basically all big tech companies do - allow any usage that preserves the status quo. Racism, bigotry, bullying, etc are all welcome, so long as people keep using the platform. Same as Twitter, YouTube, Facebook. These companies have worked very hard to take a strictly amoral stand.

Trup1aya

I wish people would never review bomb. Id just like to know if people enjoy the games or not

Linkark07

Banned
When you open the window to review bombing for one reason, it's open for the other too.

Wish there was something that could be done. You need to own the game on Steam to review bomb it, right?

Remove Steam user reviews? Honestly, they are a waste of space anyways. They are hardly informative.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's like the comment sections of a Kinda Funny video in the wake of Moriarty leaving. These basement-dwelling fucknerds don't have anything more productive to do than troll people who have besmirched their favorite celebrity gamebro and be recruited by neo-fascists.

derFeef

While I don't understand, neither support, what they are trying to achieve with the Bad Reviews. This is just another system that can be exploited and used against someone, like Campo Santo with the Copyright Claims.

It's not even remotely comparable.

man, what abunch of pathetic people

believing someone ho is famous will actually side with them just because they leave bad reviews

How shitty, depressing, and pathetic you have to be to do things like these? how sad your life must be?

Big news: He is still a racist. you are supporting a racist

dealer-

At least there appears to be quite a few positive reviews too, though it's still skewed towards negative.

jpg

_h8bit

Banned

Responsibility for figuring this out falls to the Steam product team, that's why they work there. By virtue of ignoring it, they're helping this kind of behavior instead of actively working to figure out a way to combat it.

Sorian

Banned
PDP's shit head fans abusing review system while Firewatch devs abuse DMCA system.

To be clear since I'm sure this post will get flak, PDP is trash and his flock of sheep are no better but I hate the can of worms that Campo Santo is opening with this and how it will potentially set a terrible precedent for a lot of small content creators.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Shouldn't impact their sales too much since anyone with an intelligent mind can tell what review is actually about the game itself and what isn't.

They can purchase it, put up a review, and ask for a refund.

Then Steam has a big problem with their review system if a person can "review" it without actually playing the game.

PDP's shit head fans abusing review system while Firewatch devs abuse DMCA system.

To be clear since I'm sure this post will get flak, PDP is trash and his flock of sheep are no better but I hate the can of worms that Campo Santo is opening with this and how it will potentially set a terrible precedent for a lot of small content creators.

Well Campo Santo wouldn't have to do that if Felix wasn't a colossal idiot without any regard to his fellow youtubers who are now being affected by the advertiser friendly.

If I was a content creator I would be blaming Felix for shitting the bed.

Also Campo Santo is well within their rights to revoke their content being shown on Felix's channel.

Kinyou

They should remove the review again if you've refunded the purchase.
Then it would be hard to warn people about broken games if you have to choose between writing a review and refunding it.

Even Feminist Frequency shares those concerns and they're the furthest away from any gamergate idiots as you can get

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/907674157390880768

huh I wonder if this is good publicity or bad publicity? At this point any publicity is beneficial for santo campo (which in my opinion wasn't really helping anyone at that point)

Btw, can't people just play for a certain amount of time and then cheese the refund system?

Top Bottom