• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

sueil

I was planning on doing that eventually, but Aragon took me ages because of a 14 year long regency council. Currently I was in an economic phase where I was building tons of constables and temples and planned on taking on portugal after that, but unfortunately France just declared war on me, so Portugal will still take a while.

So weird, but thanks for digging up the code.

What it means is any province on Iberia must be owned by Spain except those that are Christian. So Portugal because all their provinces are Christian does not need to be owned by Spain. However you must take Granada and I am pretty sure the event mentions Aragon must be controlled by Castille to make it fire as well. Which will give you the Historical borders.

Also I am up to 93 aggressive expansion with some of my neighbors and I think they kinda hate me. At least I got the achievement for restoring the Roman Empire :toot:

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
France attacked me with a 40 soldier stack of doom and defeated my soldiers, I retreated and luckily enough they split up their doom stack. Portugal was fighting one half, while the other half was following me. I did some dancing around my provinces to get my moral up and hopef Portugal would either win or keep the second stack off of me for long enough. Turns out Portugal lost and the second doomstack made its way towards me as well. I started the fight against the other army and won, but thanks for Portugal keeping the other army busy I managed to beat my doomstack just a few days before their second stack arrived. Holy crap.

fanboi

Banned
Portugal, year 1572, Ironman mode:

9sp7Qr9.png

Expanded down and took Marocco, but as you can see, did focus on getting to the new world, which I'm alone in except Castille below in South America.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeeeeeeeeeeees, one member of the anti-france coalition just declared war on France :D :D :D

Now its Portugal, Castile, Switzerland, Burgundy, Austria and Milan (and a few minors) against France! Fuck yes, not even 1500 and we are going to dismantle the french blob :D

fanboi

Banned
Also, to susceed in the new world, just attack with the dominace CB against the natives and demand money, since they have 6-7k together,

eznark

Banned
Make sure they like you.

They love me! We're even married.

Ironman game with Spain:

Had my first colony up and running in 1470. I've tried to stay out of wars, unless it involves the reconquista.

Go to the HRE tab in the lower corner and hover your mouse over the elector's flag to reveal the exact criteria by which they're judging you. You can raise the score by improving relations, increasing your country's size and influence, getting the elector to trust you, etc. Unless you're actually in the HRE, however, you'll automatically get a -50 penalty to your score.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Hrothgar

Does the aggressive expansion relations modifier only change your relations with surrounding nations? It seems to be pretty random.

Toma

Does the aggressive expansion relations modifier only change your relations with surrounding nations? It seems to be pretty random.

Only with the nations near you,yeah. I saw it explained as for example Russia not giving a fuck about Castile expanding into Aragon, while it does matter to France.

Edit: Another 10 year regency council, god damn it.

fanboi

Banned
How do I move my capital overseas? I need to it isolated, and it doesnt work due to alot of heartland (?) around it.

Manik

Maaaan, my heir to Denmark's throne has a big fat 0 in diplomacy. And 1 in administration. I'm going to wrap my current ruler up in cotton wool and ensure he lives forever.

Failing that, once the heir takes over, he'll quickly find himself leading the cavalry charge in one of my frequent wars.

Toma

Maaaan, my heir to Denmark's throne has a big fat 0 in diplomacy. And 1 in administration. I'm going to wrap my current ruler up in cotton wool and ensure he lives forever.

Failing that, once the heir takes over, he'll quickly find himself leading the cavalry charge in one of my frequent wars.

I had a 0/0/0 ruler in castile, and after that a 1/1/0 regency council. This game didnt really have the best start, lol.

Perkel

Banned
I had a 0/0/0 ruler in castile, and after that a 1/1/0 regency council. This game didnt really have the best start, lol.

castile is already OP same as england or france. Having shit ruler for those nations isn't that much of a problem.

Hari Seldon

Also, to susceed in the new world, just attack with the dominace CB against the natives and demand money, since they have 6-7k together,

Hahaha that is interesting. This morning I had my Conquistador with a 7 stack totally dismantle the Incas, but then my power went out and I lost that progress haha. I was thinking about if I was going to Annex them for the gold and the west coast provinces, but using the Incas as a bank sounds like a solid plan. I wonder if my conquistador can do the same to the Aztecs.

In regards to Byzantine starts, can you still do the semi-exploit of declaring war on the small Muslim countries surrounding the Ottomans (Candar, for example) on day 1? In EU3 that would allow you to conquer them without the Ottomans jumping in.

Fitz

In regards to Byzantine starts, can you still do the semi-exploit of declaring war on the small Muslim countries surrounding the Ottomans (Candar, for example) on day 1? In EU3 that would allow you to conquer them without the Ottomans jumping in.

I haven't played Byzantium in EU4 yet but I don't think they start with any cores in Anatolia any more, so I guess not. As I understand, the best tactic is still to spam galleys until you can block the Sea of Marmara and take as much land in Greece as possible.

Toma

castile is already OP same as england or france. Having shit ruler for those nations isn't that much of a problem.

True, but in 60 years, 26 years of regency council and another 10 years of a 0/0/0 ruler isnt all that hot either, even for Castile. At the end I was 1-2 points behind everyone in every technology. And its currently not getting better yet. I hope it wont make a big difference soon if other countries I am fighting against are that much better in trade and army tech.

Hari Seldon

You get over-extension for annexing the Aztecs. A whole lot of it. Oh dear...

Yeah just use them as a bank. Invade, take all their money. Wait for truce, repeat. Pretty close to the actual historical European exploitation, or at least what they would have done if they didn't wipe them out with plagues.

Toma

I should have conquered them piece meal, or better yet, diploannexed. But I wasn't thinking about overextension for overseas provinces like that.

Diplo-annexing still gives OE, though, doesnt it?

Diploannexing gives you cores.

Yep, it's time consuming but a fantastic way to expand within the HRE if you care about keeping the emperor happy. My BRA>PRU game had me swallowing Pomerania like that. I'd saved up 500 admin power in anticipation of needing to core them, then was pleasantly surprised when their 4 provinces (had captured some polish thing) autocored.

Fitz

Damn, I didn't know diplo-annexing gives cores now, I noticed that you always get cores from inheriting/integrating a union now, but I haven't taken any vassals yet, definitely sounds like a great way to save admin power.

Damn, I didn't know diplo-annexing gives cores now, I noticed that you always get cores from inheriting/integrating a union now, but I haven't taken any vassals yet, definitely sounds like a great way to save admin power.

Keep in mind that it takes years to do it. And I don't mean just waiting until the X years pass that let you integrate the vassal, after you start to integrate it takes several years and hogs a diplomat the whole time. You lose 10 legitimacy I think when it succeeds too.

ZZMitch

Didn't realize there was an official thread for EU4! I have been using the Paradox thread.

My ironman game as Novgorod has been super interesting. I almost rage quit after Moscowy declared war on me while I was helping the Teutonic Order defend against Poland/Lithuania. I just barely survived by hiring 8 regiments of mercenaries (thank you Novgorod traditions!) and using scorched earth tactics in my far north provinces. I eventually had a numerical advantage over on of the Moscowy stacks and was able to win the battle. It was tough though, lost most of my manpower and a good portion of my army. Eventually Poland grabbed Danzig from the Teutonic Order since I had to pull my forces out and I had to pay 50 ducats to Moscowy.

Thankfully that is not a big deal because Novgorod makes bank through trading! I bring in around 6 ducats a month while having 3 advisors. I am enjoying the republic government type too, I know exactly what I will have for a leader and can improve his stats or gain republican tradition every 4 years. I took the plutonic idea group and grabbed the +50% mercenaries idea. I was pleasantly surprised when that also brought my forcelimit up from 14 to 19 for some reason. Does anyone know what the deal with that is? i thought the idea was just going to give me access to more mercs.

Planning my war with Moscowy soon to reclaim cores. Crimea is close to allying with me and Kazan will be soon. I just need a way to gain about 4 relations with them, I think increasing my army size will be enough of a bump.

Clevinger

Yep, basically asking a Vassal to be annexed. Takes 190 relation, marriage, alliance.

How do you do a royal marriage (or make them vassals) when they're a different religion? I've tried to do it with small Muslim nations, but even when they want to I can't select it because of religious differences.

Toma

I just found all the extra map modes! So nice that you can customize your main mapmodes to show over the map.

How do you do a royal marriage (or make them vassals) when they're a different religion? I've tried to do it with small Muslim nations, but even when they want to I can't select it because of religious differences.

You can't. You have to force vassalize them through war.

Toma

There is an achievement for Spain to become the ruler of the HRE, but the HRE voting gives me -50 for not being a member of the HRE. Only option would be to vassalize the voting nations, right?

Fitz

There is an achievement for Spain to become the ruler of the HRE, but the HRE voting gives me -50 for not being a member of the HRE. Only option would be to vassalize the voting nations, right?

I suppose you could also take a HRE province and move your Capital there to join the HRE, not 100% sure though as I've never tried.

Current Brandenburg (Prussia) game, just into the 17th Century:

This is actually my second attempt, not used to playing Ironman, and about 10 years into my first go I accidentally declared war without maxing my military spending and got swiftly destroyed. :D

I just sent a small raiding party against the North American tribes and made out with about 8k ducats, thanks to the amazing Diplomatic Ideas group it only cost 1 stability to declare war on them with no CB. Planning to go after the Swahili and a piece of their 12k hoard as soon as one more province is auto-revealed. I'm avoiding colonisation in this match but I'll probably nab some coast from them and use it as a base to conquer India/China/Japan.

Austria has been the Emperor the whole time, however they were gutted early on, leaving France and the Ottomans to blob into central Europe, managed to deal with the Ottomans during a war with my ally Muscovy. Also I'm 1 province from being able to form Germany, but I noticed that you only get claims now, and not cores, so I decided to wait on forming it until I've dealt with the big blue blob. They are really quite scary at the moment, but I just joined the huge coalition against them which includes Spain, so we should be able to cut them down to size.

I believe vassalizing one of the electors will make the rest hate you. At least they said something to that effect in the dev diaries, I haven't played a game in the HRE yet,

Toma

Oh and another regency council. The THIRD until 1507. 40 years of regency council from 1444 until 1517.

Toma

I believe vassalizing one of the electors will make the rest hate you. At least they said something to that effect in the dev diaries, I haven't played a game in the HRE yet,

Then I dont get how I am supposed to get them to vote for me, other than... vassalizing all of them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Will that get rid of that mission completely? Or will it just reappear?

It wont get rid of it completely, but if the system is similar to EU3, you will be able to choose at least one other mission before it might reappear.

So I love the idea of these games but never have the time to master them. I always seem to purchase them but never get around to playing due to time constraints.

Can any Civ 5/EU4 experts comment on which is the "better" game? I heard this is almost an RTS, which scares the crap out of me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm currently trying to convert southern Spain to christianity.

When I send a missionary there, it says I have zero chance for success. How do I raise this number?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I love the idea of these games but never have the time to master them. I always seem to purchase them but never get around to playing due to time constraints.

Can any Civ 5/EU4 experts comment on which is the "better" game? I heard this is almost an RTS, which scares the crap out of me.

It's barely an RTS at all. You pretty much have to pause the game to do anything, especially move armies around. Then you unpause it and wait for them to get to their destination and pause it again.

It plays almost exactly like a turn based game, but instead of hitting end-turn, you just turn the clock back on.

Clevinger

I wouldn't worry about that part of it. I dislike RTS games, but these Paradox games have adjustable speeds (and of course a pause) and things take a while to happen so it never feels frantic or anything. It feels like a turn based game.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm currently trying to convert southern Spain to christianity.

When I send a missionary there, it says I have zero chance for success. How do I raise this number?
There are some national ideas and decisions that can raise your missionary chance. An easier way is using the Inquisitor advisor, although their availability is random. You can build better forts in your provinces, although the boost from this is minimal. Finally, raising your stability can help significantly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There are some national ideas and decisions that can raise your missionary chance. An easier way is using the Inquisitor advisor, although their availability is random. You can build better forts in your provinces, although the boost from this is minimal. Finally, raising your stability can help significantly.

Ah! Stability, I'll try that.

When do new advisors show up? Is there something I can do to get new choices?

Toma

It wont get rid of it completely, but if the system is similar to EU3, you will be able to choose at least one other mission before it might reappear.

Just in case you wanted to know, I immediately got the same mission again, so cancelling it to get new ones doesnt work.

Top Bottom