• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Commision fines Sony, Panasonic and Sanyo for running battery cartel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrar

Samsung was also in the cartel, but since it was them, who reported it to the comission, they didn't get fined. Good guy Samsung /s

Press statement

European Commision said:
The European Commission has fined Sony, Panasonic and Sanyo a total of €166 million. The companies and Samsung SDI coordinated prices and exchanged sensitive information on supplies of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, used for example in laptops and mobile phones, in breach of EU antitrust rules.
Samsung SDI was not fined as it revealed the existence of the cartel to the Commission. All companies acknowledged their involvement in the cartel and agreed to settle the case.

Fine if old.

Samsung being Korean might have played a role: probably not that liked by Japanese corporations. Also with all the troubles they had recently, the might want to play clean...

Samsung a snitch!

A big one too!

Probably what happened was that EU government told them "Give me one reason why I shouldn't fine your entire company for essentially selling an explosive as a phone?", and Samsung said "I can give you the Big Fish".

EU was like "Bullshit!! I want all the names of the motherfucking cartel!"

RibMan

Samsung SDI was not fined as it revealed the existence of the cartel to the Commission.

giphy.gif

Sam sung.

Aiii

So not worth it
Pretty cool that you can just tell on everyone and not get a penalty for being a jackass. Seems like a nice out.

I'm trying to find out how much they profited from the whole thing, because normally it's more than the fine, when it should be all the ill gotten profits + a fine.

This way, fucking people over is just a business opportunity.

Pretty cool that you can just tell on everyone and not get a penalty for being a jackass. Seems like a nice out.

Banks do this all the time when they know the feds are sniffing around. Bank of America is especially known for turning on its conspiring buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom