• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Super League (Football/Soccer)

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Damn it, United (Glazer/Ed Woodward) are balls-deep in this shit. Hope they withdraw, all of them. suits are tearing the football that we love.

176057351_895028724674807_173102608595492147_n.jpg

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
haha told you this wont fly.

stupid perez and woodward and levy and glazier and laporte and henry

I believe they are the main crooks 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Watch the rest of the rats scuttle away now. Suddenly from worst owners in the world free hand clapper and pie in the next home game and all will be forgiven.

They’ll be trotting the same thing out again in a couple of years.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
They will all withdraw now.

None of the big German clubs are in, this thing was doomed from the start.
None of the big German clubs were in it because of the fan ownership. I’m sure if it was not the case and just greedy foreign owners, they would have been balls deep like the rest of them.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Just goes to show that a combined effort can take down the 'powerful' in said industry

Join a Union!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I kinda wish the clubs don't just piss their pants. It's time to really take UEFA and Fifa to task because what we have now and what is proposed is not great either. Now's the time to get real positive change in these competitions.

Yeah but I think this shockwave would force the domestic FA to "listen" more and help put more pressure on UEFA, hopefully.

Ah, I knew it, your team is probably some PL parasite that got money just for being there. What is it? Burnley, Wolves or some other joke like that? Get out of here, call me once your team is relevant and doesn't just ride the coattails of the actual successful team. Just please don't call me while you are getting it on with family members or sheep, I heard that's quite popular amongst your ilk. Parasite.

Looks like Juve will be getting battered in the Champions League for a 10th season in a row after all.

Hows that 10th consecutive Scudetto going anyway? :)

Jon Neu

Banned
How have you managed to interpret my post as that? A dive in the penalty box is a bit different to 10 regular fouls = penalty.

In which way is different? In reality, it's far easier for a player to just dive in the area than having to wait for the other team to make already 9 fouls. Your irrational fear of players diving because they can earn a penalty is weirdly incoherent.

You think it's good for the game that every fan, pundit, coaching staff and players on the pitch need to keep a running tally of the number of fouls given for and against their team?

No, such titanical task of having to look at the foul stats in the jumbotron in the same way that they look to see how many time is left, it's obviously impossible.

Have you ever seen a game of basketball?

ACESHIGH

Banned
Hopefully all teams involved are sanctioned one way or another to discourage anyone from trying something similar in the future. Maybe start with -30 points next season or something.

That being said, the new Champions League model is pretty terrible anyway.

The overseas fans will lap this up.
They have no investment in the local areas or the sport.
These clubs are just brands that they like to rep on social media.

Sitting at home spending Fortnite V bucks on one screen and streaming Super League on another.

"Oh, has Messi scored? I'm repping him on Instagram so better go and post about that while posing with my Barcelona merch."

I strongly disagree with this. The view that only local fans are "real or true fans" is outdated in this day and age. I grew up in Canada watching Sir Alex, Cantona, OGS, Rio Ferdinand, RvN, Giggs, Keane, etc. on TV (whenever they would broadcast a game) and have always been a fan ManUtd since then, despite never setting foot in Manchester until 2018. Now that I live in the London, I've actually gone to see them a handful of time in person. Does the fact I didn't grow up in Manchester around Old Trafford make me less of a fan?

Further, the EPL wouldn't be awash with money and by far the richest football league in the world if it wasn't for its courting of international fans in the 1990s and 2000s. It wouldn't have been able to secure the kind of TV money (which represents a much bigger proportion of income than ticket or jersey sales) which has allowed English clubs to go on a spending spree in recent years.

Last edited:
The more I think about, the more I believe this was simply an attempt by those 12 (15?) teams to force a renegotiation of commercial terms with UEFA. They're clearly not happy with how UEFA is monetising football, especially when they look at the ruthless efficiency of the NFL across the pond.

F1 teams tried the same in 2009, threatening to form a breakaway series until a deal was reached at the 11th hour.

The fact that the Super League didn't come out with a properly structured PR campaign to try to educate media and fans suggests to me this was simply a stunt aimed at forcing discussions with UEFA and to show they weren't bluffing about potentially setting up a new league. The overwhelmingly negative reaction from fans and players may force those teams to reconsider, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them come out with another crack at the Super League if things with UEFA don't improve.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
In which way is different? In reality, it's far easier for a player to just dive in the area than having to wait for the other team to make already 9 fouls. Your irrational fear of players diving because they can earn a penalty is weirdly incoherent.

No, such titanical task of having to look at the foul stats in the jumbotron in the same way that they look to see how many time is left, it's obviously impossible.

Have you ever seen a game of basketball?
Your subtitle under your name suddenly makes a lot of sense right now.

First you suggested this idea, which is dumb and impractical, and now anyone who has a problem with increase in diving (aka cheating btw) is incoherent?

I'm guessing you're not much of a football fan.

VAR on each contentious foul will not go down well.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I strongly disagree with this. The view that only local fans are "real or true fans" is outdated in this day and age. I grew up in Canada watching Sir Alex, Cantona, OGS, Rio Ferdinand, RvN, Giggs, Keane, etc. on TV (whenever they would broadcast a game) and have always been a fan ManUtd since then, despite never setting foot in Manchester until 2018. Now that I live in the London, I've actually gone to see them a handful of time in person. Does the fact I didn't grow up in Manchester around Old Trafford make me less of a fan?

Well actually... that's part of the problem. International fans typically pick up the strongest teams with the best players. Because they have no ties to a city, they have no family members that made them fan of a team. They buy their kits, watch their games and so on and so forth. Fast forward 25 years and you have the situation we have now in top european leagues: Global superclubs stomping smaller teams with local fanbases week in and week out.

The Superleague is nothing but a symptom. The disparity in european football brought by the globalization of the sport is the problem. This is a problem american sports don't have due to salary caps. Small market teams like San Antonio Spurs can beat the Lakers thanks to good front office management. And big teams like the Knicks are not guaranteed sucess due to the salary cap.

I think its impossible to solve, you can't restrict access to the international fans. But you can at least circumvent the issue by going back on the Bosman rulling. That way, global teams won't be able to get all talent, at most they will get the best players in their country. There will be a gap, but not as pronounced.

With a more egalitarian league, international fanbases should be more distributed across teams on the long run.

Last edited:
Top Bottom