• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö, Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

Gold Member
YOHIO.jpg

Yohio-sama should've won by the virtue of getting the most votes from the swedish people. But because we are so fucking tryhard when it comes to Eurovision, that was apparently only 50% of the total votes. The rest was from a european judge group, which put Yohio near the bottom. Well.

Word. His song is quite catchy and I think his appearance would have grabbed a lot of people's attention. Now we will never know. :-

Wes

venison crêpe
Doing my song run through for betting purposes now. So far it seems to be quite an open field.

Wes

venison crêpe
Over half of the contenders I have listed as contenders are solo female entrants. Loreen set a strong precedent there.

She's also responsible in a greater incorporation of electronic/dance. Seems to me the only type of songs capable of beating that trend is with a strong vocalist singing an "uplifting" song.

Going through my list I tried to find videos of their live performance rather than an official video as that's where I got burnt last year in my predictions (Remembering France -empty stage- and Switzerland -lousy voice on the night- in particular). France, it turns out got no points from judges last year because the stage performance was so dire so I try to keep an eye out for that more now. For instance this year the Swedish song is good but the male vocalist seems to be prone to missing notes.

GCX

Going through my list I tried to find videos of their live performance rather than an official video as that's where I got burnt last year in my predictions (Remembering France -empty stage- and Switzerland -lousy voice on the night- in particular). France, it turns out got no points from judges last year because the stage performance was so dire so I try to keep an eye out for that more now. For instance this year the Swedish song is good but the male vocalist seems to be prone to missing notes.
I think I already know who will get the most over the top performance award: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cCLcjfRKlc

Fritz

Over half of the contenders I have listed as contenders are solo female entrants. Loreen set a strong precedent there.

She's also responsible in a greater incorporation of electronic/dance. Seems to me the only type of songs capable of beating that trend is with a strong vocalist singing an "uplifting" song.

I think I'd actually bet on germany. It fulfills all your criteria and odds are probably against it because Europe.

Wes

venison crêpe
I think I'd actually bet on germany. It fulfills all your criteria and odds are probably against it because Europe.

They're ranked around 5-10 in the betting now which seems a bit favourable to me. I have them around 10th now but I've still got a couple of songs to go.

If you watch her live performance she hits a lot of bum notes at the start.

Germany are going to be the hardest to read this year for me because as one of the big 5 they don't have to go through quality control (read: the semis). As far as negatives go they're poorly perceived politcally right now in some corners of Europe and Cascada isn't the greatest vocalist. For positives however she is a well known artist, it's an uplifting dance number which is in right now and it's a good stage performance.

Wes

venison crêpe
My top 10 right now, before semis and knowing the final draw positions:

1. Denmark (3.55)
2. Russia (15.5)
3. Norway (6.8)
4. Finland (120)
5. Azerbaijan (44)
6. Georgia (29)
7. Ukraine (17.5)
8. Serbia (80)
9. Sweden (17.5)
10. Germany (28)
(decimal odds on betfair at time of writing)

I think it'll be very close between Denmark, Russia and Norway.

Betting wise:
I've immediately put money on Finland making the top 10 (2.82) and winning (120). I don't think they'll win it but I imagine that price will shorten from that insanely high number and I'll eventually lay against it. Win-win. I also plan to do much the same with Serbia.

As for outright winners I'm going with Russia and Georgia. Their odds are long enough to make things interesting

waypoetic

Banned
No, this is the song he performed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C49hM_2aOM. He won the popular vote in Sweden but the European judges didn't seem to like the song so he only came second.

It wasn't a good song. You can't be serious if you mean that that slow ass boring song with singing like that was better than Stjernberg's "You"?!

Yohio is great for a statement. I voted for the guy when he first appeared on the show, he had the non-worst song out of the bunch and he was doing something different visually than the others - so i voted for him. But he's not a better singer, nor the better song. Robin Stjernberg was the right winner.

Enkidu

I don't care about the song. I just thought that the picture was of a woman.
But hearing the song makes it obvious that he's not a woman, that's why I linked to it.

It wasn't a good song. You can't be serious if you mean that that slow ass boring song with singing like that was better than Stjernberg's "You"?!
I didn't vote for anyone, and I do prefer "You", but that is how the vote went down.

Jasup

Oops, guess my mind skipped a year. Can't even recall last years Eurovision then.

You didn't miss much, just the turkish man-boat and the flame towers.

edit: and the flame towers

As it happens, I don't remember Azerbaijan's winning song from 2011 at all. I do remember thinking it's forgettable though.

Tegris

The semi-final running orders have been decided:

Semi Final 1
1. Austria
2. Estonia
3. Slovenia
4. Croatia
5. Denmark
6. Russia
7. Ukraine
8. The Netherlands
9. Montenegro
10. Lithuania
11. Belarus
12. Moldova
13. Ireland
14. Cyprus
15. Belgium
16. Serbia

Semi Final 2
1. Latvia
2. San Marino
3. F.Y.R. Macedonia
4. Azerbaijan
5. Finland
6. Malta
7. Bulgaria
8. Iceland
9. Greece
10. Israel
11. Armenia
12. Hungary
13. Norway
14. Albania
15. Georgia
16. Switzerland
17. Romania

Rather than using a random draw to decide the order like they have in previous years, the show's producers have manually decided on the order so they can separate out similar-sounding songs. They have did at least randomly split each semi final into two halves.

i think iuts inetresting to see wether cascada's relatively big name will have any impact on the eurovision. the song is similar to euphoria and i think tatu scored badly back then, when they entered for russia. blue did not do so well either iirc

Wes

venison crêpe
i think iuts inetresting to see wether cascada's relatively big name will have any impact on the eurovision. the song is similar to euphoria and i think tatu scored badly back then, when they entered for russia. blue did not do so well either iirc

tatu actually finished third. It worked out really well for them.

tatu were actually popular at the time though. Blue hadn't had a song out for 5 or so year. Cascada hasn't had a continental-spanning hit for a few years either.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out to be sure.

tatu actually finished third. It worked out really well for them.

tatu were actually popular at the time though. Blue hadn't had a song out for 5 or so year. Cascada hasn't had a continental-spanning hit for a few years either.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out to be sure.

oh wow i thought tatu ended up in the last third or something. maybe because i think that their performance was so weak or something

Alpende

Our song, Bird by Anouk, is never going to win. Eurovision isn't about 'deep' sounding songs it's about monotone beats and some singing through it.

Next week is going to be fantastic. Too bad I'll be at work when these air live, but my Maltese friend will help provide running commentary.

Can't wait lol.

-Setsuna-

Only song I've liked so far is France's entry, it's pretty basic chamber pop with Adele voice, but it's better than all the sappy slow orchestrated love songs
A good song, but the lyrics are slightly "weird" for a contest like the Eurovision. The subtext involving sadomasochism, strap-on, etc.

Will be hard to top, that's for sure.

Dennis

Banned
YOHIO.jpg

Yohio-sama should've won by the virtue of getting the most votes from the swedish people. But because we are so fucking tryhard when it comes to Eurovision, that was apparently only 50% of the total votes. The rest was from a european judge group, which put Yohio near the bottom. Well.

Real life anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom