• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eve Online or Tabula Rasa?

I'm going to get back into PC MMOs this week and I'm looking for a Sci-Fi game. Looks like EO or TR are the two biggies right now... I know they're totally different gameplay experiences, but does anybody have anything to share, either good or bad, about either one? Or both?

Thanks!

Ferrio

Banned
I played the Tab Rasa beta, it was horrible IMO. Hell it ranks up there alongside Hellgate london in terms of horrible.

EVE Online.

Tabula Rasa is a-ok, but I can already see that it won't have long-term appeal. EVE Online, on the other hand, is constantly interesting because everything is driven by players ( from economy to galaxy-spanning warfare ). Plus, the client is free ( and just got an awesome graphics-update and an expansion called Trinity ).

I've been playing E-O, Tabula Rasa, and Hellgate the past 2 days and you guys were right: Eve Online is definitely head-and-shoulders above the rest. WTF is up w/ Hellgate and TR? How do these guys spend so much time and money and come out w/ such shit?

besada

Banned
I've managed to avoid all MMOs...except Eve. Hyperaddictive. If you're looking for high sci-fi fun, go Eve. Trading, salvaging, fighting, construction, etc. It's a blast.

Edit: And there's a NeoGAF corporation waiting for you.

besada said:
I've managed to avoid all MMOs...except Eve. Hyperaddictive. If you're looking for high sci-fi fun, go Eve. Trading, salvaging, fighting, construction, etc. It's a blast.

Edit: And there's a NeoGAF corporation waiting for you.

I've made it through the tutorial and I've completed one mission from my new agent. Learning curve. Very steep. Awesome so far.

besada

Banned
Micromegas said:
I've made it through the tutorial and I've completed one mission from my new agent. Learning curve. Very steep. Awesome so far.

I used to play jumpgate, which shares alot with this game. If you want to talk learning curve, Jumpgate had the ability to manual dock at high speed, and collisions were turned on. Boom. I blew up so many ships slamming them into asteroids and even other ships. Ramming as a last resort is pretty funny.

Edit: The Jumpgate client is free here.

As an aside, I think the problem both with Tabula Rasa, and Hellgate: London is that they tried to mix in FPS elements into the MMO mix. I played Hellgate at E3 2005 and it was brilliant. I can't believe how they messed it up... and the Tabula Rasa team needs to take a look at Guild Wars and start emulating it and ditch the faux FPS trappings. (and the lame soundtrack.)

Azzurri

Another good thing about E-O; well I think anyways, is really no skill grinding. I just started up again too.

Eve Online is a fantastic game with a really supportive and mature community but at the sametime requires a lot of dedication and learning because there is just so much going on between in game politics, changing ship set ups and dedication required to corps..The free trial definitely helps give you an insight into just how much goes on.. Azzurri is also right that there is not grinding which is a great change..
I aint had a chance to try Tabula yet sadly but heard decent enough things about it, though i know my pick would still be Eve :D

Top Bottom