• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even after the Creators Update, the Windows 10 Store is still a broken mess

chadskin

Bought a Forza Horizon 3 code, redeemed it and started the download.

First, for some reason it listed two active downloads on the "Downloads & Updates" page of the store app, one was "Forza Horizon 3" and the other "Forza Horizon 3 - Standard Edition". Weird glitch I thought but it seemed to have been downloading the game fine.

Then, when the download hit about 49GB of the total 52GB, the download reset and started from the very beginning again. So, yeah, that's not very fun, especially when you don't have the fastest internet.

I've had the same issue with Quantum Break about a year or so ago but I mean ... it's April 2017 now, I'm running the latest version 1703 (aka Creators Update) and Microsoft has still not been able to provide a properly functioning store, at least for apps larger than a few hundred megabytes. That honestly blows my mind, and not in a good way.

tioslash

I honestly believe I must have downloaded something close to 250GB of Quantum Break on the Win Store before it finally decided to finish it.

jelly

The Windows team will get right on that....maybe in the fall update.

Xbox team "please pick up, anybody there....."

"Phil speaking, have you heard of Titanfa.../cough Scorpio? How can I help?"

gamz

Yeah, it's gotten better but still needs work. I don't think anyone will argue that.

Edit: Wait for Build!

PaulLFC

The store is absolutely woeful. It baffles me that Microsoft, a huge software company, cannot design a program that performs the simple task of simply downloading a game or application correctly. It's not like this is something that hasn't been done before. I simply don't understand why it's so poor.

Dynasty

eh, just a matter of time until microsoft leverages windows 10 to eventually rule gaming

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

The store is absolutely woeful. It baffles me that Microsoft, a huge software company, cannot design a program that performs the simple task of simply downloading a game or application correctly. It's not like this is something that hasn't been done before. I simply don't understand why it's so poor.

Seriously, the MS Store is fucking travesty. MS doesn't normally fuck up this badly.

Fortunately, there's virtually nothing worth playing on it that isn't on other storefronts aside from Forza (which has its own problems with the PC port) and Killer Instinct.

It's bad but not that bad.
Honestly I think it is worse in a lot of ways because at least when GFWL didn't work the developer took the heat and tried to sort the issues. Here nobody at Microsoft seems to really give a fuck about sorting the store.

Maybe Playground are under a lot of pressure from the PC audience but they sure as hell are powerless to fix to the problems in Windows 10.

jelly

Crazy isn't it. Not like they have nothing to copy or see it done right.

I usually say they made a store for mobile apps, it's still designed for mobile apps but I can go offline while downloading iOS apps and it starts off again from were it last stopped. It just works, like magic. Same with Steam. Microsoft have zero excuses.

It's even more pathetic when you consider Apple and Google have had a working model for this for a decade now. It's downright hilarious that it's now 2017 and Microsoft still has these issues.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Having the 70 something GB Gears 4 download get to 90%, 4 or 5 times, then start itself over, is what made me refund the game and swear off ever using the store again.

gamz

It's even more pathetic when you consider Apple and Google have had a working model for this for a decade now. It's downright hilarious that it's now 2017 and Microsoft still has these issues.

I'm not a huge fan of googles either. Apple has it down pat.

horkrux

You can also have positive experiences with it. I've downloaded multiple titles and never had a problem with it. I'm baffled how this can vary so wildly between people since it's just a fucking store.

Samaritan

I continue to see people pulling updates the size of the entire game for games they already installed. I remember this being a problem back with that Gears of War remaster and how Microsoft was "looking into it". Look into it faster y'all.

tuxfool

Banned
You can also have positive experiences with it. I've downloaded multiple titles and never had a problem with it. I'm baffled how this can vary so wildly between people since it's just a fucking store.

I wouldn't call not breaking a "positive" experience.

I understand that windows is a complex package to manage but how can they not make a functional download service after all this time.

theultimo

For small stuff and apps, its a perfect system.

Its not designed for 10+ GB though. Its a mobile store punching above its weight and its straining very hard.

The Mac app store has been more smooth in my experience, but it did take some time past Leopard to perfect. However, this is MS 3rd attempt, it should work OOB by now.

I personally havent had many issues, but i have had a couple of friends with broken downloads. Hell to even clear cache is an arcane dos command. Its been streamlined but it needs the proper end user support when it fails to be a smooth experience and not have to use random dos commands.

Kent

After getting problems with my initial installation sorted out, I've had zero problems with the store.

I don't know if anything has changed with the Creators Update (I'm guessing it really hasn't), but I believe the last big thread about the store had a lot of comments on issue resolution.

With specifically Forza Horizon 3, I have heard that having over 100GB of free space available can alleviate this specific issue, though I can't say if this is what's happening to you or not. Did you ever get that Quantum Break issue resolved?

Might be a corrupted download. Hows your network?

You can't possibly be that obtuse?

tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o1_500.gif

W10 store is a nightmare, it downloaded GOW4 near 4 times for me...by itself when it patched it.

I honestly think GFWL was better. Downloading GoW4 took 4 tries. Every time it hit 50gb and died. Each time was a 2-3 day process on my connection at the time. GFWL at least downloaded shit for me.
I can't believe we're saying it, but at this point it is true. GFWL had it's issues but it worked better than the store at this point. What blows my fucking mind is Microsoft is primarily A FUCKING SOFTWARE COMPANY.

EDIT: I completely forgot about FH3, at one point they released a patch for that and guess what? It downloaded the ENTIRE game again for the patch and to sprinkle some pain on they corrupted saves. Whew, W10 store gets me heated.

Trago

Another big reason why I don't bother with that trash.

Microsoft! Mike Ybarra! Windows Team! Get it the fuck together!

Then, when the download hit about 49GB of the total 52GB, the download reset and started from the very beginning again. So, yeah, that's not very fun, especially when you don't have the fastest internet.

Painful flashbacks of my Forza Horizon 3 download on release day. Man that wasn't fun...

chadskin

With specifically Forza Horizon 3, I have heard that having over 100GB of free space available can alleviate this specific issue, though I can't say if this is what's happening to you or not. Did you ever get that Quantum Break issue resolved?

I've had about 80GB of free space before the download, so I'll free up some more and see if that helps in any way.

As for QB, yeah, the download eventually finished after the third or fourth attempt.

Is the Creator's update out?

It is, via the Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Having the 70 something GB Gears 4 download get to 90%, 4 or 5 times, then start itself over, is what made me refund the game and swear off ever using the store again.

I honestly think GFWL was better. Downloading GoW4 took 4 tries. Every time it hit 50gb and died. Each time was a 2-3 day process on my connection at the time. GFWL at least downloaded shit for me.

EDIT: I completely forgot about FH3, at one point they released a patch for that and guess what? It downloaded the ENTIRE game again for the patch and to sprinkle some pain on they corrupted saves. Whew, W10 store gets me heated.

I can't imagine how anyone puts up with this shit. Unbelievable.

Is the Creator's update out?

...it's in the thread title?

OP, the Creators Update was never going to have any effect on Windows Store.

Windows Store is a separate app that is updated separately from the OS.

Top Bottom