• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even more new information from Lightning Returns' Play Community event

Goli

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201308/01037575.html
Famitsu finally has put up their full report of the event, where they basically go over everything we know about Lightning Returns but there are also some new things, which is what I'm gonna put here, but maybe someone else can translate the whole thing.
-You start the game with 5 GP and you can only hold up to 6 items initially.
-If you're hit by an enemy in the game's fields, you'll actually start battles with an HP penalty, this doesn't happen in easy mode however.
-The game's battle system is called SATB, style change active time battle.
-Easy and normal mode differences:
Easy:
Battle difficulty: Easy
Escape Penalty: None
HP recovery: HP recovers little by little when in-field.
Normal:
Battle difficulty: Normal.
Escape Penalty: An hour of in-game time passes.
HP recovery: HP doesn't auto-recover anywhere.
-Apparently there's a wandering "black marketeer" called Tenio which you can find in certain places, however his item supply is limited.
-Exceptionally strong "accent monsters" can be found roaming the fields, these monsters are part of the group that allow score uploads to SNS and they also give rewards after being defeated.
-You can also share screenshots to SNS.
-Back at the ark Hope can not only give you items, but he can also restore GP and give important hints.
-When you first access the ark is also when you get to customize Lightning for the first time and all the game's systems open up.
-There's an "auto-ability" feature that automatically outfits each schema with recommended abilities, similar to the "optimize" feature present in older FF games.
-Wearing complete schema + accessory sets increases their effectivity.
-Different schema have different ATB starting values, so it's important to keep that in mind. Similarly different equipment/schema combinations have different ATB recovery values, knockout strength, knockout duration, etc.
-Some schema have characteristic abilities which you cannot remove.
-The murders in Luxerion involve the killing of pink-haired women like Lightning.
-As you arrive in Luxerion you get a main quest that involves investigating this buy you can also take part in side quests revolving around the religious cult and the murders than involve investigating and interrogating people.
-Normal people you can talk to have white speech balloons, but the ones that have sidequests to offer have little stars below them.
-Clearing quests allow you not only to increase Lightning's stats but also give you items, decorations and gil.
-When exploring fields there's an action meter that regulates what you can do and the full list of actions you can do in field are the following:
Dash: Allows you to move faster but consumes the action meter. When not dashing your action meter recovers little by little.
You can jump, but it doesn't say whether this affects the action meter or not.
Strike: You can attack enemies in field and get the upper hand when the battle starts, but you can also strike boxes and things like that when not near enemies to break them and see their contents, some boxes might even hide treasure chests in them! You can't strike if your action meter is empty.
You can also sheathe your sword so people don't become scared of you when in populated areas.
-Around Luxerion's North Station you can find the following shops:
Prayer Canvas: Here you can find a board with all sorts of quests. CLearing them earns you Chocolina's gratitude. You can find a lot of "fetch" quests here.
Equipment shop: You can buy schema and decorations here.
Information shop: You can buy secret reports regarding enemy weak points and knockout methods here,
Inn: Here you can sleep for a desginated amount of time and recover HP in proportion.
General store: You can buy recovery items here.
Restaurants: You can eat different meals here to restore your HP.
Magic shop: Here you can synthesize abilities obtained from monsters of the same kind and level to get stronger versions of your abilities.
Blacksmith: You can buy weapons and shields here.
-When exploring fields sometimes monster may appear in populated areas, if you ignore them they might even start attacking NPCs (not the quest giving ones though).
-Time in Lightning Returns stops passing whenever in these situations:
When talking.
In a cutscene.
In battle.
In menu.
In the ark.
-After completing a tailing mission in Luxerion, which is one of the game's main quests, more things appear in Luxerion, including a formidable monster called Zomokku, that green dragon we've seen in recent screenshots. The writer says the fight was really hard so he had to escape, which meant losing time and GP, thus he recommends not facing the dragon at the start.
-There's an area where chaos has spread more profusely near Luxerion, I'm not sure how to translate the name, but it could be something like Death Border. Here enemies are even stronger.
-In the datalog you can find battle tips and such, like when to guard to perform a counterattack or how to battle more efficiently.
-One way to battle more efficiently is, instead of button mashing in battles, attacking or guarding when the attacks connect. For example, if you use some magic spell, the best time to press the button to do the next magic spell is when the first one hits the enemy.

EDIT: Could anyone change the title to "Play" instead of "Plat"? My mistake :p

Toxi

Banned
Huh, the battle systems sound really fun and interesting on normal. I like the idea of losing time when you run away.

Goli

The combat and field exploration is what I'm most looking forward to.

Me too, I honestly don't care much about the story as long as it's entertaining but the thing I look forward to the most is exploring everything. I really liked exploring FFXIII-2's fields to completion *_*.

Shamdeo

To expound on what I said, the whole concept of resource management in this game is pretty interesting especially when there are wide open areas to explore. Since Lightning's HP doesn't recover post-battle, it's going to make mitigating damage through blocking and evading a lot more important.

I'm looking forward to feeling out how challenging this is.

Top Bottom