• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis |OT| Secret of ActRaiser in the Desert aka This Year's Other Egyptian ARPG

ggx2ac

I finished the story yesterday.

I have to push myself to do the post-game content.

Annoyed with some of the unlocks required for getting Factum Relics, e.g. Dig and Mine 500 times each.

Ventara

Halfway point? Or less? Or more?

I'm about to get there.

I'm enjoying the game but I don't want it to end so quickly o.o

I'd say that's about a quarter of the way there. As you get more villagers, you'll be spending a bit more time with your village, so maybe even less.

Mcdohl

I am quickly losing interest ever since the Gourmet Festival preparations started. I just held the festival but my interest is dead :(

I want to keep enjoying it but I feel that it can be unnecesarily slow/grindy/time consuming at times. And it's just more of the same.

Even little things as swapping party members (because you have nfc who to bring to new places) takes an unnecessary amount of time.

Does it get better? Or at this point have I seen it all?

Ventara

Does it get better? Or at this point have I seen it all?

I guess you've seen it all by that point. The story/quests has some nice moments with equally nice music accompanying it. If I may ask, what do you feel is grindy/time-consuming about the game? I finished up the game recently and haven't grinded for anything, and I felt the game had a lot of QoL features that saved on time. Only main complaint I have is the party swapping thing, which I whole-heartedly agree with you.

Mcdohl

I guess you've seen it all by that point. The story/quests has some nice moments with equally nice music accompanying it. If I may ask, what do you feel is grindy/time-consuming about the game? I finished up the game recently and haven't grinded for anything, and I felt the game had a lot of QoL features that saved on time. Only main complaint I have is the party swapping thing, which I whole-heartedly agree with you.

Getting resources to restock settlements.

Going to sleep.

Recruit -> Level Oasis -> Restock Bloom Booths -> Get Dewdems -> repeat

Recruitment quests are often very similar.

Exploring new places and fighting new enemies starts feeling stale.

etc

KDR_11k

Normally I like these build-your-homebase games but I think the oasis is just too indirect. You install a new store and it gives you no immediate benefit. You can't buy anything useful from them, you don't get any power from them, just the occasional HP boost when upgrading the oasis and a bit more income. No satisfying swarms of citizens building up loads of houses, no happiness explosions (cf Sim City, the crap one, had amazing user feedback), no real feeling of "hooray I made my base bigger".

Linkura

Normally I like these build-your-homebase games but I think the oasis is just too indirect. You install a new store and it gives you no immediate benefit. You can't buy anything useful from them, you don't get any power from them, just the occasional HP boost when upgrading the oasis and a bit more income. No satisfying swarms of citizens building up loads of houses, no happiness explosions (cf Sim City, the crap one, had amazing user feedback), no real feeling of "hooray I made my base bigger".

On a pretty unrelated note, that's kind of what turned me off to Atelier Meruru. You're supposed to be "building up" the kingdom, but get no real benefit.

I'm about halfway through what I think is the final dungeon, the
Sanctuary of Light
. How much further do I have to go? Trying to figure out if I can complete this tonight.

ggx2ac

I'm about halfway through what I think is the final dungeon, the
Sanctuary of Light
. How much further do I have to go? Trying to figure out if I can complete this tonight.

No, that is not the final dungeon.

You'll know you've finished the game when you see the credits, there will then be post-game content afterwards.

Man, I am really enjoying this game. Got it as part of the Prime Day Glitch and was planning on just flipping it but it has really hooked me. Now I'm determined to beat it before I turn it in so the clock is ticking on the month end TIV bump haha. How many hours of the main game do I have left when I have reached the
Sanctuary of Light
?

UCBooties

What's the best way to get tablets? I only find them in boxes but it seems like I will need to find a lot more of them to run the number of labyrinths the game requires for certain relics.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I got and started this yesterday. Had no idea there would be a female player character option! The introduction was really something else. Wasn't expecting this game to be so dark! The early town buildup and adventuring outside been nice and relaxing. I'm liking it so I'll just get my 1 big thing thats killing the game for me outta the way:

LOADING SCREENS

In the town specifically. Step outside the town and theres this big desert area ta run around in. But inside the town itself? Its like 4-5 tiny screens seperated by screen transitions. Why could they not just merge 'em into 1 single screen town?

Also I've made it a goal of mine ta use whirlwind on every new oasis visitor that pops up! Now thats a meet & greet!

slowpantz

Neo Member
Started this up and am having a really good time with it.

Just got to the point where I can form my own parties.

The game has a lot of charm, fun gameplay loop, and cheery music. Hope to see it get more attention.

Aiustis

I'm still trying to figure out how you tell what characters can do what. Took me ages to realize the wizard person could light areas.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Beat the story just now!

Leader Level: 21
Oasis Level: 19

I worked my butt off ta get that oasis level! Unless I was deep in an area or dungeon with no nearby warp spot I'd often stop was I was doing ta chase rumors to get new residents or do quests to upgrade bloom booths! Had fun exploring new areas and finding new caves on my own. Overall aside from the main & sidequest markers this is a very un-handholdy game!

The whole quest system has its issues however. It'd help if your Seedlings didn't automatically force ya outside to hear about their quests if ya got one on-going or not. The chat options right there ya know. So if you level up their happiness you gotta hear about their request whether ya wanna or not. Plus only being able to have 1 activated at a time was kinda strange.

Worst thing I think was that there were to many abilities and scavenging skills. Most abilities were pretty much Press A to access a button to open a door. iirc there were at least 8 abilities an by the time I got the "spiderweb cutter" one I was like c'mon thats just dumb an to much. There weren't as many scavenging skills but it always bugged me how I rarely ever had someone who could dig or mine onhand when hitting up new places filled with those spots. The back half of the game ended up having waaaaay to much warping around to switch party members to use their specific ability/skill.

With that stuff aside the dungeons were pretty good an not overwhelming. Restocking booths and farming never felt like a chore. An other town/resident management stuffs was smooth! Not a bad lil story the game had either!

I got through the main story a while ago and I am really glad that I gave this game a chance, since I felt like I owed it a try after the E3 presentation and learning the creator of the Mana series worked on this. It was simple, charming, and gaining new residents so you can level up the Oasis was surprisingly fulfilling I love that kind of visual progress in games. I really liked how each resident how different skills and weapons and the dungeons that made use for that. Although, I wish I could just switch equipment and residents without returning to the Oasis, it wasn't a huge hassle, but if I'm going to switch out so frequently I would like to avoid the load screens, but I do find the leveling up after returning to the Oasis pretty interesting, since it prevented me from doing to much at one time. I also really liked how each resident Seedling had their own backgrounds and side quests, if we ever see more of this game, I'd like to have stuff like that expanded and maybe give side quests for the other residents besides the Seedlings. It was nice to play this in short bursts.

I also really liked how each resident Seedling had their own backgrounds and side quests, if we ever see more of this game, I'd like to have stuff like that expanded and maybe give side quests for the other residents besides the Seedlings.

This is a good part of the game but another big complaint of mine which I'm not seeing much here is that you can only activate one sidequest at a time.

All of my bloom booths have upgrade quests at this point. I go into each one (for some reason, you have to drag the person outside to talk to them) only to find out that I'm unable or unwilling to complete the quest for whatever reason so I move onto the next booth and hope for the best.

If I do find a quest I like or like better than the one I have active, I need to reject the first person without an indication of which booth I picked them up at because the quest is removed from the quest log entirely.

I just want a list of the quests from the people I talked to and, perhaps, the ability to do multiple sidequests in one outing. This one-at-a-time stuff is quite frustrating.

Not to mention some of these quests force the booth owner into your party to complete them. Sheesh.

I guess I could write them down myself? Who wants what and where are they in the town.

Anyway, I kinda like this game.

Top Bottom