• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever since I got a PC, last gen is almost obsolete for me

It's the same for me. I wanted to give Dragon's Dogma another shot and even though I own it on PS3 I couldn't stomach the idea of playing it at sub-30 fps and a low res. I just bought it again on PC.

eXistor

I can understand running games that are also available on PC better than their console counterparts, but even so: I've experienced this upgrade myself and I never really got that "it's a whole different game!" feeling. It's still the exact same game, but it runs smoother and looks clearer. I guess I'm just not impressed by that kinda stuff.

Sanctuary

Initially I played on both almost equally once I got into PC gaming in '98, but only really bothered with PC for the exclusives (Diablo 2, CRPGs, StarCraft, Half-Life 2, EQ and then WoW). PC at the time was still more powerful than the consoles, but not enough to actually matter for my gaming purposes. In 2006, somehow PCs were slightly behind at the start, and it was easier to get a smoother experience with Oblivion on the 360 than it was PC. Not that you couldn't get a smooth experience on PC: it just took a hell of a lot more work. At the end of 2006, the PC was slightly ahead again, and progressively moved up while the consoles of course didn't change.

From 2009 on, I pretty much played every multiplatform on PC, and have continued to do so today. Right now the only current gen system I have is the PS4, and I only own three games for it. For my money though, PC isn't less expensive than consoles. Not even close. Each time I build a new system (every 3 - 5 years), I go all out and it costs right around $2,000. While I might end up saving $10 - $20 per game, almost everything I want to play I get at or near launch, so I don't really take advantage of the "massive savings" on games that have been out for six months or longer.

While I get what you're saying about last gen games looking like shit on the consoles, that actually doesn't bother me all that much. A lot of the games I've been playing lately are from the SNES through PS2 eras anyway, and I still enjoy playing Demon's Souls on the PS3 at least once a year. It was never a graphical powerhouse, but it still always looked great due to the aesthetics.

It's the same for me. I wanted to give Dragon's Dogma another shot and even though I own it on PS3 I couldn't stomach the idea of playing it at sub-30 fps and a low res. I just bought it again on PC.

I ended up beating the vanilla version and expansion on the 360 (read the PS3 horror stories), and just kept thinking about how such a good game would become ridiculously awesome on PC. It was the one game a lot of people were anxiously waiting for to be ported to PC, and were wondering why it was mysteriously not being announced. Many were wondering if it ever would, and then the day finally arrived. Game is so fucking good on PC.

Malawhur

OP I had exactly the same experience with you. I have re-bought a lot of my x360/ps3 games and they look and play really fresh. I have Dark Souls which is great at 60 fps, Force Unleashed, Brutal Legend, Enslaved, AC Rogue etc. and they all make their console versions obsolete

Finaika

I can understand running games that are also available on PC better than their console counterparts, but even so: I've experienced this upgrade myself and I never really got that "it's a whole different game!" feeling. It's still the exact same game, but it runs smoother and looks clearer. I guess I'm just not impressed by that kinda stuff.

Do you have a G-Sync monitor though?

scoobs

Depends on how good your PC is I guess. I'm playing Watch Dogs 2 at 1440p 80-100 fps w/ gsync on with everything on Ultra and its just amazingly smooth and beautiful to look at and play. Dropping it down to medium and 30fps would feel just awful having experienced it at this level of fidelity.

Kssio_Aug

What I actually like on PC is it's versatility and how your library lasts much longer.

It's thanks to PC gaming that we still can play some old games; and better than that, in many cases we have modders working to make it look better nowadays. I also like the fact that, most outdated games can at least benefit from much higher resolution than the original title and a high frame-rate. All of it makes backward compatibility on PC much better than any solution they find for consoles.

Another thing I like is how PC games generally gets more relevant and regular discounts. It makes buying games on PC much easier than on consoles (specially for me, brazilian, where PC games are cheaper than console games by nature).

I like to say that PC gaming is not for everyone. I know some people that cannot even think about checking the settings, or going through some procedures such as updating video drivers. It is simple, but some people like literally the "plug and play" experience.

But those who allow themselves to figure some things out, I believe they can benefit SO MUCH from PC gaming that is really worh it.

ViciousDS

Banned
I think the only thing my PS4 is used for is NBA and exclusives now.

My Xbox one S

I should sell the damn thing, it's worthless now. UHD blurays are too expensive for my taste and I get all my movies digitally for half the cost even for 4K.

But I love seeing older games that can't be played anymore and buying them. Amazing to jump back into the PC ecosystem and play some beloved oldies without worrying about a company trying to nickel and dime my ass.

I mean brutal legend was like $2 this weekend. I would never see those sales anywhere else again

Pachael

Most gaming on PC
Exclusives on PS4, Horizon Zero Dawn is fantastico

For that reason, will get a Switch, just a matter of time.

Unless the performance is consistently below 30fps (which is more common than it should be on ps3/360) I don't notice after the first 15 minutes or so. It's nice to have higher res but I can get used to old resolutions.

120v

been the exact opposite for me. i remember being blown away playing Bioshock Infinite on my mid tier gaming laptop after playing it on 360

i even buy less games now because with every upgrade i really like revisiting "old" games in 4k/60, when the upgrade allows

Leonidas

I'd say that current gen is more obsolete than last gen in this regard since there are less exclusives this gen.

Matthew23

My Xbox One has been collecting dust lately, technically my PC has too as I don't dust very often, but yeah couch co-op is really the only reason I have a console and my wife hates gaming.

Picking up 3+ year old games on Steam sale for under $5 and playing at max settings and 60 FPS makes me feel like more of a baller than I deserve to, it's great.

The same year I bought a 360 (2008), I put money towards my first gaming PC... the 360 was obsolete that same year, and it was such a waste because I even bought a whole year of Gold that I never used.

I just have consoles for their exclusives.

Havnt touched my PS4 in months aside from the prey demo which I then got on PC. Load times on consoles tend to bother me more than other things like graphics and frame rates.

Felspawn

Havnt touched my PS4 in months aside from the prey demo which I then got on PC. Load times on consoles tend to bother me more than other things like graphics and frame rates.

Yeah my 512gb SSD was the best upgrade ever for my PS4 pro, games like fallout 4 load twice as fast. Made a nice difference.

Everdred

The worst part about PC gaming to me is having to manage and find your friends on 5 different services. Origin, Steam, Uplay, GOG, Blizzard launcher, etc.

sn00zer

This how i feel. On top of that, Some games clearly werent designed for insanely high res and low res background props stand out like a sore thumb.

The worst part about PC gaming to me is having to manage and find your friends on 5 different services. Origin, Steam, Uplay, GOG, Blizzard launcher, etc.

I can sympathize, but for me, Discord & Steam are the defacto meetup spots for playing online games with my friends, regardless of whether or not we end up playing a Bliz or Origin game. Like, I just hit up my buddies on Steam or Discord if I want to play Rainbow Six: Siege or Diablo 3 with them.

Got a new PC halfway through last gen because I was tired of sub HD and shitty frame-rates.
My PS3 remained irreplaceable though because of all the incredible exclusives.
Now most of them have been remastered for PS4 though with some (like VC) even getting late PC ports, but at the time PC+PS3 was the perfect combo for me.

But yeah, with PS4 I think people are getting satisfactory visual quality and performance with games usually running at 1080p and stable frame-rates (even if it's usually 30fps) but last gen was a disaster with wildly fluctuating frame-rates and screen tearing being the norm, not to mention ugly textures due to memory constraints.

Chrisdk

I also circled back to consoles. Had a good gaming PC, but gave up on it when i bought my Xbox One and PS4. I don't really have time to tinker with PC anymore and i play all my games with a controller anyway. So now i mainly use my Xbox One and my PS4 is for the exclusives.

I seem to spend more time gaming and less time tinkering so it all worked out. I'm also saving a bit of money by not investing and upgrading a gaming PC anymore. It helps that i'm not really that bothered by the weaker hardware in the consoles. Though i must admit that i will probably upgrade to Scorpio when it's out. Seems like a decent investment with the money saved from not upgrading my PC.

Love crushing those last gen ports with my pc. Batman Arkham City looks great at 1440p 60 FPS with DX 11 features on. Consoles will always have some exclusive here and there with some impressive tech like ND or Guerilla games, but you can't beat PC in sheer IQ terms.

Worst part of having a decent pc is that I cannot justify spending on a console any longer: When they have a good enough catalogue of exclusives that I like they are already ancient in terms of tech.

Corpsepyre

Banned
OP, get Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 on PC and see the level of difference from the console version. It felt like a generation ahead.

Broank

First games I played when I got my new PC were Dragons Dogma and the Souls games in 4k 60fps. So good. lol

I'm at the point where I put my Xbox One and PS4 away unless I'm currently using them to play an exclusive. It's so damn nice having no load times, buttery smooth controls with the high frame rates, plus mods and all the like. Load times and the blurry image quality are super jarring if I go back to play on the consoles now.

My PC is fairly small, fits right in my media center and makes less noise than the consoles do. I just use Moonlight if I ever feel the need to use my desktop monitor or bedroom tv.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I feel like most current gen remasters are just last gen games on higher settings on PC.

I made the jump to PC five years ago, and some time after that I sold every PS3/360 game I owned that wasn't console-exclusive. I still play a PS3 game from time to time but there's always an adjustment period when I first boot it up.

The great thing about playing last gen games on PC is how they actually advance with the times, in their own way. Last year I bought a 4K TV and ever since then I've been rediscovering my old favorites in a whole new light. Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, the Arkham series to name a few. On modern hardware they run beautifully with practically flawless image quality.

RedSwirl

I kinda did the same thing as a lot of people in this thread: started buying everything multiplatform on PC, but not just for the better graphics and performance. Honestly that's secondary now to just knowing I can install them on any Windows system, now or five years from now, without having to buy remasters or anything.

All those games I've bought since like 2008 or something I can install on my current laptop for a degree of portability, and even that thing can run last-gen games without breaking a sweat.

The Switch has begun to challenge that idea, but a console will inherently always feel more closed in that regard because I have to keep that hardware around to keep playing those games. For a console to get there I'd have to have guarantees of indefinite backwards compatibility for future hardware generations along with a variety of form factors.

Fredrik

The great thing about playing last gen games on PC is how they actually advance with the times, in their own way. Last year I bought a 4K TV and ever since then I've been rediscovering my old favorites in a whole new light. Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, the Arkham series to name a few. On modern hardware they run beautifully with practically flawless image quality.
Yeah it's pretty much like you're playing remasters of every single game. I love it!

Multiplats on PC, exclusives on console. That's my current strategy and it's been that way ever since I bought the PC 4 years ago.

The console exclusives are usually 30fps and it might take some time getting used to that going back and forth between PC and console. That's the only downside imo.

Fredrik

Hope more MS games migrate to PC
Yeah I just upgraded to Windows 10 like 2 weeks ago and Play Anywhere has been crazy awesome, I spammed the board with a Forza Horizon 3 video because Oh My God getting to play that game at 60fps on a triple screen setup was just mindblowing, I honestly couldn't care less if Xbox One lost all it's exclusives to PC because it honestly felt like I just time traveled to next gen already.
Bring ALL Xbox exclusives to PC, Microsoft! Aaaall of themmm! :)

It's the opposite for me. I started out on pc and prefer playing on my PS4 pro. I even have a 1080 FTW but would still play a game on PS4 as long as it's 1080p. Depending on the type of game, would I care about fps.

Agreed with you OP. I can’t wait for my Dan A4-SFX v2 case to come in later this year so I can build a new PC.

That being said, I'll always play games on their respective system - consoles for their exclusives and PC for everything else (provided the ports don’t suck).

Top Bottom