• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evergreen State college to pay professor at center of protests 500k

http://q13fox.com/2017/09/17/evergreen-state-college-to-pay-professor-at-center-of-protests-500000/

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — The Evergreen State College will pay $500,000 to settle a claim by a professor at the center of protests that attracted national attention — and campus threats.

The progressive public college in Olympia told faculty and staff in a Friday email that it settled with Bret Weinstein and his wife, Heather Heying.

The Olympian newspaper reports the two resigned effective Friday.

The couple filed a $3.85 million tort claim against the college in July, alleging it failed to protect employees from threats of physical violence and verbal hostility.

The college said it admits no liability but settled in the school's best interest.

The school and the professor garnered national attention back at the end of May/Early June.

Protests followed after Weinstein criticized an optional event in which organizers asked white students to leave campus for a talk about race. The event was a reversal of the college's annual ”Day of Absence," in which minorities attend programs off campus.

Edit: original thread and discussion:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1384767

Amazing post by EviLore

This is all very reminiscent of what happened to off-topic for a couple months post-election. Of course, that madness turned out to be directly induced through sabotage by a now-former admin secretly banning *hundreds* of members totally outside of any justifiable grounds (not that any attempt at justification was made to begin with, being undisclosed and undocumented bans) in some 85-90% of each of those bans that were subsequently investigated after we became aware of the incident.

NeoGAF is a discussion forum; the whole point is to disseminate information and debate it, on civil terms, in an atmosphere that encourages healthy skepticism, fact-checking and credible sourcing, challenging preexisting worldviews and talking points and biases by providing a platform for a diverse audience to contribute, etc. And yes, the site does lean progressive, because it is inclusive and evidence-based and intolerant of hate speech. But while there are core values associated with this place, there's no point in discussion without providing a framework that allows for multiple perspectives to engage with each other.

I mention all this because, particularly for those couple months I mentioned when anyone trying to operate in good faith within the aforementioned parameters I've set up for this place ended up sniped en masse, Off-Topic suddenly became unrecognizable to me some 15 or 16 years after we set this side of the forum up. The place kinda turned into what this Evergreen outcome sounds like: with everyone who tried to contribute to civil discourse systematically thrown down the well, the remaining members either stayed silent or radicalized up, and we were left with a squad of polarized "progressives" unwilling to have a conversation with anyone about issues, repeating the same talking points in every thread to each other in a self-righteous echo chamber, newly confident that any non-conformity would be driven out or otherwise made to disappear. This was not just ostracizing people attempting to challenge reductive, exclusionary "with us or against us" polarized rhetoric, either (and that should absolutely be challenged), but also anyone even trying to have a conversation within that radicalized bubble. People were driven out, character assassinated, labeled traitor for "not sounding angry enough," or for not being entirely on board with ostracizing someone else for the same reasons.

There's nothing righteous, informed, or progressive about that. It's just a sanctimonious, vitriolic, self-destructive circle jerk that drives out the kind of people most valuable to discussion: not the "retweet my Side and quote it in yells or else you're The Enemy" people, but the people engaging on each individual issue with critical thought and an open mind, willingness and capacity to perform independent investigation into the materials initially presented, come to an independent conclusion and present it, and to allow the same from folks who have made similar effort but with different credible sources or different justifiable conclusions than your own.

That's the sort of thing I'm seeing here. Professor's conclusions about the event that prompted the protests should certainly be challenged, but he did justify his positions reasonably and stay civil throughout the argument he presented. Yeah, that annual event change-up is a complicated issue, as we can see by all the folks here struggling with the right and wrong of it, so it's absolutely a legitimate topic for an academic debate. And that's all he did: debate the merits of it and the campus ethics of an exclusionary event with what he felt were undercurrents of pressure to comply or end up branded a racist/traitor/whatever.

...and now we're seeing exactly that, with an aggressive push for his removal, threats against him, and even an order issued that the chief of campus police not take measures to ensure the professor's safety on campus.

Smear campaign articles posted earlier here that attribute *swastikas* being spraypainted by some apparent alt-right dickwads who have involved themselves here, and doxxing alleged to have occurred at some point along the way by third parties unrelated to the professor (alt-right again apparently latching onto this), all somehow ultimately being the the fault of this *progressive activist Jewish professor* (who as far as I can tell has sound credentials, and who one of his long-time students personally vouched for in this thread as someone who wouldn't have a disingenuous, racially motivated angle with this thing) for daring to break formation and have an academic conversation that scrutinized something on "the progressive side" that day.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

World isn't binary, folks. Hyper-partisan, radical, binary, "us or them" environments with constant purity tests demanding adherence to the pre-established talking point of the hour breeds ignorance, intolerance, hate, and self-destruction.

This is why we talk about things. This is why diversity of background/ethnicity/orientation/culture is important within an environment like a campus or a message board: not just as an outcome better representing the diversity of the population it's pulling its membership body from, but critically for the diversity of perspective that results from that intense microcosm you've built, and the insight and nuance of thought it can bring to each participant when they share an appropriately moderated space and each have a fair voice.

That's why we talk about things.

The email that sparked this.

weinstein_email.png

The reaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTnDpoQLNaY

Verelios

So...why was he mad though? Seems like a case of white fragility but maybe someone more knowledgeable could explain it better.

Infinite

So...why was he mad though? Seems like a case of white fragility but maybe someone more knowledgeable could explain it better.
There was a big thread about it last time here which even prompted a post from evilore. Lots of different takes there if you want to check it out.

He challenged the reversal of the Evergreen State College's annual Day of Absence (where people of color voluntarily remove themselves from campus and hold workshops and organize off-campus) from a progressive perspective. When no one from the left recognized the nuance of his position and instead verbally attacked him, he took his message to outlets on the right who also didn't recognize the nuance of his position, but didn't care since he was "the enemy of their enemy."

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He challenged the reversal of the Evergreen State College's annual Day of Absence (where people of color voluntarily remove themselves from campus and hold workshops and organize off-campus) from a progressive perspective. When no one from the left recognized the nuance of his position and instead verbally attacked him, he took his message to outlets on the right who also didn't recognize the nuance of his position, but didn't care since he was "the enemy of their enemy."

Also it was evergreen which enjoys this kind of controversy and grades students in shades of emotional spectra.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People

He claims he wasn't just verbally attacked, but threatened. Cops warned him to stay off campus at one point, a group of people checked cars looking for him, he had to hold class off campus at one point. I don't remember the specifics, or which of those incidents occurred at once.

You can listen to him on bloggingheads: https://bloggingheads.tv/videos/46681
Or read the times article about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/opinion/when-the-left-turns-on-its-own.html

The guy was threatened by students, the campus administration told police not to protect him, and students followed and harassed him everywhere, calling him a racist and demanding that he resign.

All because he said it wasn't appropriate for black students to force white people off-campus for an event.

This was the kind of nightmare event that the far right fantasizes about. This campus is an absolute madhouse.

kami_sama

The guy was threatened by students, the campus administration told police not to protect him, and students followed and harassed him everywhere, calling him a racist and demanding that he resign.

All because he said it wasn't appropriate for black students to force white people off-campus for an event.

This was the kind of nightmare event that the far right fantasizes about. This campus is an absolute madhouse.

Wow, if this is true, sorry, but the college fucked up monumentally.
Like, they did exactly the opposite to defuse the situation.

Deepwater

verbal hostility maybe, but that white man was never at risk of being physically assaulted. why would any black person in college risk it all just to punch an insensitive professor?

kami_sama

verbal hostility maybe, but that white man was never at risk of being physically assaulted. why would any black person in college risk it all just to punch an insensitive professor?

Oh, come one, people are idiots. Maybe 99.9% of people wouldn't punch him, but if only one person does, the college has fucked up by no providing security.

Plum

You don't need to be at risk of physical assault to be harassed. Even then, with the college not providing security, he was at risk, especially if things got more heated.

Verelios

There was a big thread about it last time here which even prompted a post from evilore. Lots of different takes there if you want to check it out.

We had a thread on it a few months back.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1384767

Thanks guys, I missed the last thread.

Edit: That last thread...sounds like an event that snowballed out of control
Wow. What an assumption.
That's just what I got from the snippet in the OP, sorry if I offended you?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have to complete a survey question by Google about whether I want to buy the iPhone X or not to read the article? The fuck is this?

The website you are visiting is using a survey, powered by Google, to enable access to its paid content. Answering a quick question here gives you immediate access to the content you want without having to pull out your wallet or sign in. These surveys contain questions written and provided by survey creators that want to conduct market research. The website you're visiting earns money from the surveys that appear. This service makes market research fast, accurate, and affordable, helps to fund great web content and enables you easily and quickly get access to it.

Your answer is anonymous and is aggregated with all other anonymous answers to the question. It's not connected with any information about you, and is not used to develop a profile or to deliver ads. Once the survey is complete, an aggregated report is provided to the survey creator about the specific question it asked.

Like ads on the web, some surveys may be delivered to you based on the interests and inferred demographics associated with your browser. You can click here to review or edit these, or to opt-out through Google's ads preferences manager.

Learn more about Google Surveys, sign up to host surveys, or review Google's privacy policy.

So this is where monetizing news content is going, huh?

Deepwater

Did you read anything about this?

you can literally check every single post of mine in that thread famalam

edit: not that specific thread (cause it was about a NYT article), but this one http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1383189&highlight=evergreen

Oh, come one, people are idiots. Maybe 99.9% of people wouldn't punch him, but if only one person does, the college has fucked up by no providing security.

You don't need to be at risk of physical assault to be harassed. Even then, with the college not providing security, he was at risk, especially if things got more heated.

sorry, nope. People were pissed that the professor was grossly insensitive on a racial topic. You're gonna have to do more than that to convince me angry black college students are prone to violence.

You can't ask for non violent direct action (on a public campus no less) and then be upset at the harmless repercussions

...because I hear emotional people always make 100% rational decisions.

If someone is harassing me or yelling at me, you can be damn sure that I am worried about being physically assaulted.

Nothing ever escalates... until it does.

Stinkles

you can literally check every single post of mine in that thread famalam

edit: not that specific thread (cause it was about a NYT article), but this one http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1383189&highlight=evergreen

sorry, nope. People were pissed that the professor was grossly insensitive on a racial topic. You're gonna have to do more than that to convince me angry black college students are prone to violence.

You can't ask for non violent direct action (on a public campus no less) and then be upset at the harmless repercussions

I kinda don't understand where you're going with this. He was actually threatened. He didn't just say, "hey people are mean and someone might punch me" - he received specific anonymous threats.

You may be right. Most online and anonymous threats come to nothing, and I don't like the guy particularly, but he now has zero reason to believe he's safe.

He's in America. We have a lot of nut jobs. In colleges, and on websites reading about colleges.

I also don't understand why people are talking about black students, or students period, the story triggered a lot of off campus loons.

Kinyou

That logic doesnt make all that much sense to me but I'm also pretty sure it wasn't exclusively black students who protested/harassed him

Wow, if this is true, sorry, but the college fucked up monumentally.
Like, they did exactly the opposite to defuse the situation.
I really commend that people look at videos of talks the school held about this guy at the college. It shows a growing movement that should be cause for concern to Americans. Not even in the top 5 concerns we have right now, but something to be aware of because it's growing.

Deepwater

...because I hear emotional people always make 100% rational decisions.

If someone is harassing me or yelling at me, you can be damn sure that I am worried about being physically assaulted.

Nothing ever escalates... until it does.

this story didn't escalate until the professor himself went on...wait for it...Tucker Carlson. The fact that he's getting made out to be a victim is the biggest okeydoke ever

I kinda don't understand where you're going with this. He was actually threatened. He didn't just say, "hey people are mean and someone might punch me" - he received specific anonymous threats.

You may be right. Most online and anonymous threats come to nothing, and I don't like the guy particularly, but he now has zero reason to believe he's safe.

He's in America. We have a lot of nut jobs. In colleges, and on websites reading about colleges.

I also don't understand why people are talking about black students, or students period, the story triggered a lot of off campus loons.

see above. The professor knew exactly what he was doing.

Like I said in the old thread when this first showed up on GAF, yall are so willing to give the benefit of the doubt to this white professor or, more poignantly, willing to castigate the students organizing against him as potentially violent.

this story didn't escalate until the professor himself went on...wait for it...Tucker Carlson. The fact that he's getting made out to be a victim is the biggest okeydoke ever

What did he say on the Tucker Carlson show? That's how I would judge it. Tons of good left leaning people venture on fox.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I never assume potential assailants in this case would be black. I'm picturing some bandannaed antifa type of whatever ethnicity with a chip on their shoulder who would just love to punch a "racist."

Going on a media outlet is a pretty shit reason to attack someone. I hate Fox as much as the next guy, but when the guy was ignored by the left wing media due to leftist blood-lust on the issue the guy really had no other choice if he wanted to get his side of the story out.

tumblr_n1spn6yRxx1s4yl0xo1_250.jpg

Okay, I'm abandoning ship here. Yall doing the absolute most

You remind me a lot of this part of EviLores post:

everyone who tried to contribute to civil discourse systematically thrown down the well, the remaining members either stayed silent or radicalized up, and we were left with a squad of polarized "progressives" unwilling to have a conversation with anyone about issues, repeating the same talking points in every thread to each other in a self-righteous echo chamber, newly confident that any non-conformity would be driven out or otherwise made to disappear. This was not just ostracizing people attempting to challenge reductive, exclusionary "with us or against us" polarized rhetoric, either (and that should absolutely be challenged), but also anyone even trying to have a conversation within that radicalized bubble. People were driven out, character assassinated, labeled traitor for "not sounding angry enough," or for not being entirely on board with ostracizing someone else for the same reasons.

There's nothing righteous, informed, or progressive about that. It's just a sanctimonious, vitriolic, self-destructive circle jerk that drives out the kind of people most valuable to discussion: not the "retweet my Side and quote it in yells or else you're The Enemy" people, but the people engaging on each individual issue with critical thought and an open mind, willingness and capacity to perform independent investigation into the materials initially presented, come to an independent conclusion and present it, and to allow the same from folks who have made similar effort but with different credible sources or different justifiable conclusions than your own.

The rejection of even the slightest possibility that the left can EVER lose control or go overboard on an issue shows how much you have lost touch with reality.

All the guy did was express an opinion, and in the world of offensive opinions that we live in today it was at WORST a 2/10, or mildly problematic.

That does not rise remotely to the level of someone deserving to be harassed or fired for having that opinion.

Wow, talk about irrational rage. People need to chill the fuck out, being violent/harassing people invalidates any "good" intention a group might have.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Nobody's defending the guy's politics or his actions, they're just arguing with your crazy theory that he was perfectly safe.

Genuinely curious, what was objectionable about his politics or actions? Other than going on Fox when other outlets weren't interested in what he thought was an important issue?

Xe4

Banned
Reading the threads and news stories about this, it's clear to me that the campus fucked up on a wide multitude of fronts, especially when dealing with this professor's safety and security. I have no problem with him getting $500,000.

Genuinely curious, what was objectionable about his politics or actions? Other than going on Fox when other outlets weren't interested in what he thought was an important issue?

I could be wrong, but it is always a touchy situation when a white person weighs in on the strategies of civil rights groups for other races because it can come off as "sit down and let white people decide what is best."

...which is probably why it blew up so bad.

The guy's opinion was probably wrong, but I think that in this case there was nothing inherently harmful about the guy holding or sharing the opinion that he had. It all just got ridiculously out of hand.

Stinkles

Well, to me? Yes. Fox News is a propaganda outlet and he's a professor who knows that he'd be throwing red meat to an audience COMPLETELY disinterested in his point of view, or anything beyond "uppity black libruls being PC" - so that was problematic. While I can relate to his sense of frustration at not being heard, I wouldn't go to the KKK to complain about some kid getting an affirmative action spot in front of me. Fox is in no way a legitimate outlet and Tucker Carlson is an objectionable excuse for a human being.

Laekon

I personally don't feel there is any issue with his politics or initial actions. I just don't get why we he went on Tucker Carlson. Carlson is firmly in the position of just playing the character of a click bait title on Fox. No thoughtful discussion was going to come of it and so it blew up to an issue between idiots on both sides. I guess he got paid though and is now a known name so...

I have to complete a survey question by Google about whether I want to buy the iPhone X or not to read the article? The fuck is this?

So this is where monetizing news content is going, huh?

Yes - I noticed the Seattle PI started having you do surveys sometimes before you can read an article, although I think you can decline. Better than paying a monthly fee so I fill them out since it's usually just one or two multiple choice questions.
On topic, the state should cut all funding to that farce of a college. It's been a standing joke for decades.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
I could be wrong, but it is always a touchy situation when a white person weighs in on the strategies of civil rights groups for other races because it can come off as "sit down and let white people decide what is best."

The guy's opinion was probably wrong, but I think that in this case there was nothing inherently harmful about the guy holding or sharing the opinion that he had. It all just got ridiculously out of hand.

I generally agree with your first paragraph, but in this case, he was being asked to do something that he disagreed with. In that case, i think he's totally morally in the right to decline.

I also think Tucker Carlson is horrible propaganda, but think going on his show as a bad judgment call rather than a moral violation.

I'd encourage people to listen to his bloggingheads interview (https://bloggingheads.tv/videos/46681) if you're curious to hear from Bret Weinstein directly in a format that doesn't push propaganda.

Deepwater

Please stay off the ship. People like you are firmly part of the problem.

Yes, Me. The black man decrying thinly veiled dog whistling white centrism, is part of the problem of racism. Not the guy who went on a whole right wing media tour to paint himself as the victim of a "blood lust" filled crusade by left wing college students for sympathy with a white audience.

I ain't ask to be on this damn ship anyway.

No, his opinion was clearly correct. Previously, the day was a voluntary decision by students to leave campus as a demonstration of their importance and presence on campus, among other things. That is an act of empowerment, solidarity, and self-demonstration.

Changing that day to an attempt to force white people to leave the campus changes that day. It is still empowering, but it is not self-demonstration but instead an act of aggression from one group toward another. Solidarity is no longer present. It's inappropriate for one group to tell another to leave campus, that this man was harassed for stating the obvious and saying he didn't want to participate demonstrates what an aggressive act this is. "Leave or you might get hurt" - who could reasonably defend this statement as being a wholesome civil rights moment on par with the former example?

Hmm 🤔
This isn't my fight but I'm genuinely curious as to why you feel this way. What do you even identify as the problem
TBH that poster seems to have the attitude that only the most extreme possible reaction to any given situation is acceptable, and anyone who disagrees is a traitor to the cause.

It is a pretty destructive attitude.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Hmm 🤔
This isn't my fight but I'm genuinely curious as to why you feel this way. What do you even identify as the problem

I'm not going to use knkng's language. I'd rather hope Deepwater changes his mind. But it does seem to me that Deepwater is dismissing the professor's view of things out of hand because it doesn't align with his world view.

Infinite

TBH that poster seems to have the attitude that only the most extreme possible reaction to any given situation is acceptable, and anyone who disagrees is a traitor to the cause.

It is a pretty destructive attitude.
I don't get that from their posts. You're projecting something that's honestly not there.

Top Bottom