• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW: The Dark Tower TV series to adapt "Wizard and Glass". Premieres in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

Shit!!! This is all so awesome!

Time for another readthrough its been a few years!

Last time I went 7 backwards to 1 and it was awesome.

Have they come out with an edition where all 7 books match and have the art pages, along with a matching hardcover collection of any of the comics Jae Lee worked on?

I had the first four in those black re-releases they did shortly before 5-7 came out.

I have the hardcover with art for 5-7 but the formatting doesn't match 1-4. I have a super cool edition of 7 signed by the artist that did the paintings.

Because that would be boss

Psst, I don't know if anyone told you about this but there are 8 books now...

220px-The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Trade.jpg

With Elba attached this is a pretty impressive way to handle a tv/movie series. Nothing like it has really been done. It seems like a no brainer for Netflix or Amazon. I somehow doubt HBO would go for it.

Therion

W&G is one of my favorite books ever, and definitely my favorite of the series, so I will be eagerly awaiting this adaptation--albeit somewhat apprehensively in case they screw it up.

Hopefully they fold in the flashbacks from The Gunslinger as well, or at they very least include Roland's trial. That's what sets the events of W&G in motion, so it seems like a likely inclusion. It might make more sense to put it here instead of the movie anyway.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Netflix would be the smart move. It's the biggest streaming company and almost everyone has it.

atr0cious

Just choked down a barbaric yawp. I can't believe they might actually make this happen. Don't care if it's good, just need to see it.

JeTmAn81

I totally forgot!! I did read this tho. I mean there is Little Sisters and another short story as well, right?

What did you think of it? I really liked it.

I'm not familiar with Little Sisters or any other direct Dark Tower stuff (i.e. not just tangentially connected to the DT universe). What are they about?

Also, random plug for King's Bill Hodges trilogy. I'm finishing up the final book and it's so so good. There's some supernatural/weirdo stuff in it so a part of me secretly hopes there will be some silly connection to the DT universe.

Glix

I'm not familiar with Little Sisters or any other direct Dark Tower stuff (i.e. not just tangentially connected to the DT universe). What are they about?

Also, random plug for King's Bill Hodges trilogy. I'm finishing up the final book and it's so so good. There's some supernatural/weirdo stuff in it so a part of me secretly hopes there will be some silly connection to the DT universe.

There were two short stories that were put into two anthologies.

This was way back, before he got hit by a van so they are "1-4 style" as i call it.

I mostly forget the content but they were awesome.

Hell a full boxes set should have Insomnia and Salems Lot as well

I enjoyed keyhole. It was like spending time with old friends that i never thought id see again.

Fuck yes! So glad this is actually happening. Best book in the series by far.

Not The Drawing of the Three?

This has actually been the plan for years, since long before the film ever went into production. They always meant to have the young adventures of Roland be a miniseries that would run alongside the film releases.

They must be mistaken. Not unless the bulk of it will draw from "Wizard and Glass" with the first few 3-4 episodes covering the "Drawing of the Three". Then again this is a new reality in the DT mythos so maybe he doesn't not encounter the Ka-Tet in the same way, if at all this time around.

Yeah, definitely be ready for some differences. For anyone interested the early draft of the script that is used for the movie is readily available out there and gives some idea of what to expect from the changes. I'm actually pretty excited with how they handle it.

The first film is basically a loose adaptation of The Gunslinger,
in that Roland, Jake, and the Man in Black are basically the core of the story but a lot of the small details are significantly different. It's actually pretty smart how they're handling it, they're not so much making up a bunch of new stuff as much as introducing elements of the later books into the first movie. Devar-toi plays a significant role ,and in general a lot more of the antagonists are introduced and explained a little earlier on. A significant part of it takes place in NYC too, drawing from Jake's segment in Drawing of the Three. Eddie and Susannah don't appear (once again, though quite different it's still a loose The Gunslinger adaptation), but their future role is hinted at. In general it kinda mixes in characters and scenarios from throughout the series in a pretty cohesive way for what they're trying to convey. The Roland/Jake relationship is still central, and if anything the Man in Black has an even bigger role. And yes, Roland starts off with the horn. Also the ending of the draft, if unchanged in the movie, is fucking fantastic.

To the people worrying about Eddie and Susannah, unless the first movie is a complete flop there are interviews out there where the director has reassured that they will be showing up in the future.

Lothar

Banned
Hey guys should I read these books or what. I don't really "read" much, but the things I do read seem to basically always be fantasy series. His Dark Materials, LOTR, Time Quartet, and The Dark is Rising are some favorites.

Just seems like a huge time investment.

You can really stop after book 4 and book 1 is a short book. King books are easy quick reads and good. Get in on the ground floor. People will be talking about this a lot (I hope) when the films and tv episodes start coming out.

JeTmAn81

You can really stop after book 4 and book 1 is a short book. King books are easy quick reads and good. Get in on the ground floor. People will be talking about this a lot (I hope) when the films and tv episodes start coming out.

...don't stop after book 4. C'mon, son. You really need to know how it ends.

I would add that you should give the 2nd DT book a shot even if the first one doesn't immediately grab you. Lots of people stall out on the series during the first book, it definitely has a different feel and style to it than the rest of the series. I think that some part of the 2nd book, Drawing of the Three, is where a lot of people finally get hooked.

Simo

No chance. Unless they have Idris Elba and McConaughey in it every week this just isn't going to happen.

Well Elba is already attached and McConaughey might be too but they just worded it as "premium cable channel or a streaming network" so I assumed it'd be HBO but I guess it could be Starz, Cinemax or whatever.

Either way they're going forward with it so we'll see it when we see it. lol

Glix

Ha,
even King disagrees and gives you a warning basically saying "You won't like this. For your own sake, stop.

I like them. They are NOT THE SAME though. He used to talk about how he would only write dark tower books when they came into his head and forced him to.

After the accident he basically forced himself to finish them... and it shows.

But there is still a lot of cool stuff. And you still get to hang with the best Ka-Tet there ever was.

Ha,
even King disagrees and gives you a warning basically saying "You won't like this. For your own sake, stop.

Well,
his warning is at the very end of DT7.
I really see no point in not reading the whole series. Many people actually liked the last 3 books, myself included. There are some incredible emotional beats in them.

dan2026

Any Dark Tower fan should really read the comics.

They have already adapted all the backstory stuff from Wizard and Glass and also the entirety of the 1st book.
They are currently finishing up adapting book 2.

In fact I would say that the Marvel comics are superior to the original books in a few ways.

Any Dark Tower fan should really read the comics.

They have already adapted all the backstory stuff from Wizard and Glass and also the entirety of the 1st book.
They are currently finishing up adapting book 2.

In fact I would say that the Marvel comics are superior to the original books in a few ways.
I have the first omnibus (waiting for sale one second) and it really is fantastic. The art is out of this world

Krowley

Well,
his warning is at the very end of DT7.
I really see no point in not reading the whole series. Many people actually liked the last 3 books, myself included. There are some incredible emotional beats in them.

Definitely.

Everyone should read them all. The last few feel a little different, but The only book in the whole series that really let me down was Wolves of Calla. Everything else was a joy to read.

No. And people really should stop giving out "skip this" or "stop here" advice for media. It's not helpful.

It should be pointed out that Wizard & Glass was a very divisive entry in the series. A lot of fans were not happy that the story momentum was completely stopped after The Wastelands, which was a breakneck book. People tend to group the first 4 and the last 3 (+1) together, but really the series breaks down into 5 different periods.

The Gunslinger is kind of its own thing and its style, even in revised form, is different than the rest of the series. The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands have a relatively small gap of 4 years between publication and as such are pretty similar. It was another 6 years until Wizard and Glass and then another six years until Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, and The Dark Tower all come out within months of each other. Then an 8 year gap until The Wind Through the Keyhole.

It should be pointed out that Wizard & Glass was a very divisive entry in the series. A lot of fans were not happy that the story momentum was completely stopped after The Wastelands, which was a breakneck book. People tend to group the first 4 and the last 3 (+1) together, but really the series breaks down into 5 different periods.

The Gunslinger is kind of its own thing and its style, even in revised form, is different than the rest of the series. The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands have a relatively small gap of 4 years between publication and as such are pretty similar. It was another 6 years until Wizard and Glass and then another six years until Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, and The Dark Tower all come out within months of each other. Then an 8 year gap until The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Oh I know all of this. However his post wasn't about the differences in style or execution but about half the story simply doesn't matter. Which is an extreme response that isn't really helpful at all but more of a trumpeting of his personal taste.

Of course different people will receive the various books differently. However they have to experience the books in the first place before they would know whether or not they would actually enjoy them. But even that is aside the fact that literally suggesting someone quit a story halfway through is just bad advice. Stating that you personally didn't like or were disappointed by a book or season or a particular act of media is one thing. Saying it doesn't matter and suggesting that someone should never even finish the story is ridiculous.

atr0cious

Oh I know all of this. However his post wasn't about the differences in style or execution but about half the story simply doesn't matter. Which is an extreme response that isn't really helpful at all but more of a trumpeting of his personal taste.

Of course different people will receive the various books differently. However they have to experience the books in the first place before they would know whether or not they would actually enjoy them. But even that is aside the fact that literally suggesting someone quit a story halfway through is just bad advice. Stating that you personally didn't like or were disappointed by a book or season or a particular act of media is one thing. Saying it doesn't matter and suggesting that someone should never even finish the story is ridiculous.
Here, here. Only book I don't like is wolves and that's because it felt like king was trying to finish it, but really rushing through it.

Lothar

Banned
No. And people really should stop giving out "skip this" or "stop here" advice for media. It's not helpful.

You can disagree but it's pretty common in to think the last three books are not near the same quality as the first four. It felt like he faced his own mortality, got scared they wouldn't be finished, and rushed through them. I'm going to keep saying it because I think book 4 is the last great book. I wish I had received the advice. Much like how in a Dexter thread, I see someone saying "Stop at Season 4" is the most helpful advice that could be given.

Saying this to justify your previous post is a massive stretch. Almost Trump level misrepresentation.

That wasn't justifying a previous post and that's extremely poor reading if you think it was. This was an addition to that post about what King says
about the destination being less important than the journey. The point is you shouldn't feel required to see the destination. If the journey becomes not good then you don't have to stick around for the destination.

Rolfgang

Yes! This truly makes my day! I'm so excited to see how they envision the story and locations.

Also, I really need to continue with the comics, I stopped after part 4 (I think?) at the time, because the rest wasn't released yet. Back then I was actually really sad, because I thought the comic series had ended, it kinda made sense storywise.

Not through with the series yet (finishing up Songs of Susannah and then I need to read book 7) but Wizard and Glass was a sad read for me. It's awesome, but it just gets so sad. From what I've read, Wizard and Glass is the most liked book in the series

Glix

The point is you shouldn't feel required to see the destination. If the journey becomes not good then you don't have to stick around for the destination.[/spoiler]

So let these people find out if they think its good or not on their own.

I don't think King is saying "If you don't like this part of the journey go and tell everyone else how they should feel about it too"

atr0cious

Not through with the series yet (finishing up Songs of Susannah and then I need to read book 7) but Wizard and Glass was a sad read for me. It's awesome, but it just gets so sad. From what I've read, Wizard and Glass is the most liked book in the series
What's not to like about a "gunslinger" using a fucking slingshot?

cyba89

Best book in the series and I can see this working very well as a 10-13 episode season.

11/22/63 was already a really good tv-adaption of a King book.

Lothar

Banned
So let these people find out if they think its good or not on their own.

I don't think King is saying "If you don't like this part of the journey go and tell everyone else how they should feel about it too"

Do you think I'm forcing them to listen to me? It's just my recommendation.

I said earlier that Wizard and Glass was my favorite King book but if someone says "Wizard and Glass was terrible, don't read it", that is equally as valid and as helpful as me saying to read it. The person getting the recommendation should make their own choice. I couldn't imagine in a million years telling them not to say it.

Skilletor

I loved book 5. I thought it was amazing and definitely up there with the best in the series.

I really hope he goes back and revises them as it seems like he keeps hinting.

Book 4 is by far my favorite in the series, though, and one of my favorite books ever.

Book 3 was amazing to me. I didn't care for book 4. It felt tantgental and killed the momentum b3 built. Not to say it was bad. The story itself was good, but went on too long.

Pretty hyped for the adaptation tho

Little Sisters is a direct Dark Tower story. It takes place right before the start of the Gunslinger (as much as time works in the Dark Tower books) and it's about Roland. There's also "Low Men in Yellow Coats" which is about Ted Brautigan being chased around by Crimson King Agents. They are both good reads.

You can disagree but it's pretty common in to think the last three books are not near the same quality as the first four. It felt like he faced his own mortality, got scared they wouldn't be finished, and rushed through them. I'm going to keep saying it because I think book 4 is the last great book. I wish I had received the advice. Much like how in a Dexter thread, I see someone saying "Stop at Season 4" is the most helpful advice that could be given.

That wasn't justifying a previous post and that's extremely poor reading if you think it was. This was an addition to that post about what King says
about the destination being less important than the journey. The point is you shouldn't feel required to see the destination. If the journey becomes not good then you don't have to stick around for the destination.

You're missing the point.

Telling someone that you didn't like X part is reasonable. Telling someone half the story doesn't matter is not reasonable.

It's not poor reading on my part at all. You intentionally worded that statement and removed the context to try to reinforce your personal opinion. Kings words were literally referencing the last few pages of the, then, last book and in no way were his advocating abandoning a story well before its conclusion.

If fact, the specific section of the book he was referencing was pretty much an Epilogue.

Now if someone who is actively consuming a story and decides that they want to stop, that's obviously their choice. That doesn't make advising someone to never finish before they've even started good or reasonable advice. At that point, not starting to begin with makes far more sense.

You can disagree but it's pretty common in to think the last three books are not near the same quality as the first four.

The series has always been divisive. Many people never get farther than the first book, and people will often qualify the series with "the first book can be rough to get through, but the second book is were it really picks up". I've heard people suggest that you just skip The Gunslinger all together.

And I'll say it again, but W&G was not very well received when it first came out. It really divided fans and still does today, although its stature has certainly grown in the past 20 years.

If you go by Goodreads, Book 7 is the most highly rated (4.25 stars). Also interesting is that there are 309k ratings for The Gunslinger (it has a 4 star rating, the 2nd worst in the series) but the Drawing of the Three has 135k ratings (4.22 stars). The series trends downward as it goes on too.

I actually really like the last 3 books. I like how weird it got. Song of Susannah was kinda meh but I liked Calla and DT quite a bit. The first section of Dark Tower really should have been the end of Song of Susannah though.

NekoFever

I actually really like the last 3 books. I like how weird it got. Song of Susannah was kinda meh but I liked Calla and DT quite a bit. The first section of Dark Tower really should have been the end of Song of Susannah though.

I didn't like Song of Susannah much but I liked V and VII a lot. I guess the encounter with
the Crimson King
towards the end of VII was a letdown but the end itself was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom