• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable: Heroes (XBLA) At Microsoft Showcase

Jadedx

Banned
Beating a dying franchise to death.

But I guess MS won't let it die since it is Molyneux's baby.

Just because the whiny nitpickers on gaf don't like it does not mean it is dying; as a matter of fact the last one sold the most of all the fable games.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Hu? Where have you been the last few years?

Anyway... Make it a fable rogue like and I will bite!

Deadlight, FEZ, Dust, Mark of a Ninja, The Splatters, Hybrid etc. Plenty of original stuff, a Fable release on XBLA doesn't mean other titles cease to exist.

I'm specifically talking about the Fable franchise.

KillGore

Why Microsoft?
henry2hjjl.gif

Just because the whiny nitpickers on gaf don't like it does not mean it is dying; as a matter of fact the last one sold the most of all the fable games.

I actually loved Fable 3 :X LOVED it...

I'm specifically talking about the Fable franchise.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Are there other games like Fable II and especially Fable III out there? A lot of criticism can be leveled at the franchise, but they are rather unique blends of genres with some interesting features you don't see very often.

Known:
-Fable: The Journey
-Fable: Heroes

Unknown:
-Their MMO
-Their other next-gen game

The two unknown ones may or may not be Fable related.

I really can't imagine them not working on Fable IV, either. It seems like every installment is more successful after the next...in terms of sales.

Sure it was. Horrible story, stupid NPC interactions, babbys first combat system, it was serviceable only in the context of this horrible console RPG generation.

Welp, it's hard to argue those criticisms. It's not like the Fable franchise is anywhere near one of my favorites. I just thought that Fable II was a fun, lighthearted, button mashing romp. And it was nice to get in a little of that terribly implemented co-op with my casual Xbox Live friends. Baldur's Gate 2/Planescape Torment it is not. Not every RPG has to be.

Fable III was pure garbage though. Lionhead burned me there.

Doffen

If 3+ million sales = dying franchise. Then why does Sony keep on kicking Uncharted, Killzone and Resistance? I’m baffled by your logic.

derFeef

Really curious what it is. I like Fable's ideas and world, but the design decisions often make it not a pleasure to play.

Its nice that XBLA is getting some bigger name games, so its definitely a positive move in that regard. I also think it may be a good move for Fable, at least for now until the franchise finds a way to reinvent itself. I enjoy Fable, but they always have a lacking feel to them.. I really wish they would try to do something different with the gameplay and art direction.

Monday is going to be a really fun day for MS games.

Sure it was. Horrible story, stupid NPC interactions, babbys first combat system, it was serviceable only in the context of this horrible console RPG generation.

What was so horrible about the story?

Also it had good VA, & some amusing sidequests & although the combat was easy, it was fun. Add that to the tone of the game & it should be easy to understand why it sold so well.

How is it dying when each installment sells 3.5+ million copies?

In any case, I played and finished Fable III in January and really enjoyed it, contrary to what most people thought of the game. Co-op was quite fun too. Looking forward to this, especially since it's an XBLA title.

S1kkZ

I hope not. If Fable has anything, it's an incredibly charming style and world. It was let down technically, not in the art direction. Hopefully a move to the Unreal Engine will do it justice.

i fully agree with you. fable needs a new engine that can do the art/style justice. and peter molyneux needs to be removed from the franchise. i really like him but i think his way of designing games (only focus on 1 big thing like the dog in f2 or the "be a king" stuff in f3) hurts the rest of the game.

note: i liked f2 and i really liked f3 despite the technical issues and some other problems. the games feel unique and different. and it probably helps that i never looked at them as rpg's.

i fully agree with you. fable needs a new engine that can do the art/style justice. and peter molyneux needs to be removed from the franchise. i really like him but i think his way of designing games (only focus on 1 big thing like the dog in f2 or the "be a king" stuff in f3) hurts the rest of the game.

Molyneux hasn't actually done any design work on the series since the first Fable.

I wonder if they're still developing their Mega Meshes tech. I wonder if this game will use it!

Fable II and III look really nice, but the engine is a bit long in the tooth and wasn't all that good to begin with.

It's a shame Lionhead makes a lot of prototyping that eventually gets cancelled like Milo & Kate. I hope the stuff they learned on that project will find its way into Fable games.
It is. "A lot of the Milo tech we're not showing off. This is the first outing of this so we're keeping some of our big stuff safe behind. A lot of the stuff you can do in Fable: The Journey is some of the stuff that was originally found in Milo."

I have mixed feelings about Fable 2. Never played the first, but I found Fable II to be horribly short for an RPG. Also, the fact you couldn't jump in the game was a big deal for me and I felt constricted by the environment (same goes for Brutal Legend). Also, it has some of the worst dungeon designs I've ever experienced in an RPG. They were short and extremely linear. Who thought this was a good idea?

Does Fable 3 improve upon any of those things?

Edit: I loved the setting and the humor, although.

The biggest thing Fable has against it is Peter Molyneux, if he didn't open his mouth to mad hype his games they'd be received a lot better.

Dabanton

If 3+ million sales = dying franchise. Then why does Sony keep on kicking Uncharted, Killzone and Resistance? I’m baffled by your logic.

I notice no one has answered this one..

I enjoy Fable it has a certain charm and play style that i like.

Feindflug

I wonder if they're still developing their Mega Meshes tech. I wonder if this game will use it!

Fable II and III look really nice, but the engine is a bit long in the tooth and wasn't all that good to begin with.

Fable 2 looked great when it was released but yeah the third game was really outdated in 2010 which was kinda weird for a first party game.

Now about Mega Meshes, didn't some recent job listings talk about the use of Unreal Engine? maybe they're scrapping their MM tech for UE.

Also curious to see the new IP that will be unveiled later this year, most possibly at E3.

I have mixed feelings about Fable 2. Never played the first, but I found Fable II to be horribly short for an RPG. Also, the fact you couldn't jump in the game was a big deal for me and I felt constricted by the environment (same goes for Brutal Legend). Also, it has some of the worst dungeon designs I've ever experienced in an RPG. They were short and extremely linear. Who thought this was a good idea?

Does Fable 3 improve upon any of those things?

Edit: I loved the setting and the humor, although.
Fable III has even more restrictions, the 'road to rule' system means even basics such as hair dye, marriage proposals and the farting expression must be learnt from levelling up. It's not significantly bigger than Fable II and there's no overhaul to the style of 'dungeon' design. The main selling point, controlling the monarchy, is only in the last third.

Fable 2 looked great when it was released but yeah the third game was really outdated in 2010 which was kinda weird for a first party game.

Now about Mega Meshes, didn't some recent job listings talk about the use of Unreal Engine? maybe they're scrapping their MM tech for UE.

Also curious to see the new IP that will be unveiled later this year, most possibly at E3.

Mega Meshes isn't for games at least not what the presentation showed.
It was for artist to speed up or make art Creation easier.

Kinda like how you stream in texture parts with Mega Textures.
Artist can stream in level section from HDD in something like ZBrush so they dont have to load in a whole new Level section.
Its easier this way if you have to go back and forth a level without loading sections. Now you can go to the level section you need to go, and the tech will handle the loading and streaming of it.

Fable III has even more restrictions, the 'road to rule' system means even basics such as hair dye, marriage proposals and the farting expression must be learnt from levelling up. It's not significantly bigger than Fable II and there's no overhaul to the style of 'dungeon' design. The main selling point, controlling the monarchy, is only in the last third.
Sounds pretty passable then. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed Fable II somewhat. I just found some seriously glaring flaws with it. I was actually in disbelief how quickly I finished the game.

Feindflug

I get the impression that they are talking about multiple new IP's, could be wrong though.

Hopefully you're right but I wouldn't bet on it as MS seems to be on full force for preparing titles for their next gen system, btw do we know what happened to the "large scale RPG" that was supposed to be developed by Feel+? haven't heard anything about that since 2009 IIRC.

Mega Meshes isn't for games at least not what the presentation showed.
It was for artist to speed up or make art Creation easier.

Kinda like how you stream in texture parts with Mega Textures.
Artist can stream in level section from HDD in something like ZBrush so they dont have to load in a whole new Level section.
Its easier this way if you have to go back and forth a level without loading sections. Now you can go to the level section you need to go, and the tech will handle the loading and streaming of it.

Didn't know that, thanks for clarifying. :)

szaromir

Banned
It is. "A lot of the Milo tech we're not showing off. This is the first outing of this so we're keeping some of our big stuff safe behind. A lot of the stuff you can do in Fable: The Journey is some of the stuff that was originally found in Milo."

Yes, that tech could potentially work great in RPGs and be a nice evolution of the genre.

Agreed. As long as the sales keep rising and people are still liking the franchise doesn't mean it's going to die. That's like how people say Call of Duty is a franchise being beat to death when it sells more every release. Fable isn't going away anytime soon

CamHostage

It's a shame Lionhead makes a lot of prototyping that eventually gets cancelled like Milo & Kate. I hope the stuff they learned on that project will find its way into Fable games.

I disagree, to a point. The shame is that the gaming community has to be so preorder-focused that developers can't show work-in-progress. Lionhead has a couple scrapped projects in the hopper (BC, Milo, the B&W spin-offs) that I'm glad for having known about even though I've never been able to own them. Sure, unveiling material too early can hurt a case (unveiling the plans for Fable long before you had any understanding of what you could actually accomplish in the game design meant that many of us bought it expecting more than we got,) but if there's a way of managing expectations AND allowing a peek into the studio, I want that peek.

And prototyping is so, so crucial to a game company's creative drive. There are companies that prototype every day, just for the exercise. Better in my eye that they take a few prototypes halfway through and then abort but learn from it than to come to your job every day and know that what you'll be working on will be the sequel to the last game that made money and that you won't be changing the proven formula for fear of getting it wrong.

Gorki247

Sigh, I really should know better by now; I came here looking for some news, but all I found was hatred and negativity.

I'm a huge fan of the Fable franchise and although the games do have their flaws (which game doesn't), it won't stop me from enjoying the world of Albion and all of its charm. More Fable games, be it major releases, spin-offs or arcade games, is good news by me. As long as they keep making them, I'll keep buying them and I won't apologise for

Interestingly enough they deleted the line about Fable: Heroes from the original article, guess they weren't supposed to post that.

Anyway consider me cautiously interested. Fable 3 was a huge let down but I still like Peter Molyneux.

saucylion

As long as the fundamental games is different I don't care if they slap fable in its name to add some sales. If the game is just a slight upgrade of fable 3, I won't buy it. If it is a completely different game that just happens to take place in the same world, and looks appealing, I'll get it.

Top Bottom