• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FaceApp apparently now has race filters. I never got the humor in these.

Mikey Jr.

OFjRsO6.jpg

Every version of me looks dorky.

Holy shit, this one is good.

God damn.

Two Words

So does everybody's black version have a bigger nose/lips? Because not every black person has that and it is an annoying stereotype. People that come from certain parts of Africa do have that trait, but North East African facial structure is very distinct from West African facial features. It's annoying how African is often treated as a single entity in this way.

I myself am North East African and I have a smaller nose and larger lips.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks! I think they all look pretty cool

So does everybody's black version have a bigger nose/lips? Because not every black person has that and it is an annoying stereotype. People that come from certain parts of Africa do have that trait, but North East African facial structure is very distinct from West African facial features. It's annoying how African is often treated as a single entity in this way.

Not even all west Africans have big noses and lips

wandering

Banned

Stereotypes are just gonna be in the nature of the app, like how the Asian version gets rid of facial hair and the Indian version adds a mustache.

Two Words

Stereotypes are just gonna be in the nature of the app, like how the Asian version gets rid of facial hair and the Indian version adds a mustache.
I think that kinda hurts the impressiveness of the app then. It is essentially depending on our own ingrained stereotypes to validate that a person looks Black or Asian.

Update: Goncharov just emailed Engadget with the following: "The new controversial filters will be removed in the next few hours."

From the article in OP.

Oh.

LordKasual

Banned

come on bruh...

you expect them to have a variance algorithm for every mixture of blood on earth???

Izuna

Banned

Yeah I realised this too. I put it other my black brother and it literally just put stereotypes over his face...

Asian also seems to Chinesefy girls

Two Words

come on bruh...

you expect them to have a variance algorithm for every mixture of blood on earth???
I didn't say that they need to represent every group. Is it too much to ask that maybe not make every black version have bigger lips and nose? Do they not look black unless that occurs? Really?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah idk. It's pretty cool, but then of course it's going to be "Post black me on facebook for laughs" and that's pretty damn racist.

Nope. Not racist. It CAN be, of course, depending on it's done, but just posting yourself or someone else as a different race is not racist in and of itself. It's just interesting and potentially humorous (and no, not because "lol other races look dumb"). If you disagree, please explain how it's racist.

It's like some people have to make everything that has to do with race into a racist issue. Not everything is.

sarcastor

I didn't say that they need to represent every group. Is it too much to ask that maybe not make every black version have bigger lips and nose? Do they not look black unless that occurs? Really?

is it wrong to say that most black people have big noses. and most south east asians have no crease in their eyelids? or women generally have long hair and wear makeup?

oh yeah it is. Damn. It was fun while it lasted

Top Bottom