• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

factory workers, janitors, etc...everyone at Porsche will be rewarded €9,111 bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caayn

This is a very nice gesture by Porsche, one that'll surely increase the imago of the company and the morale of the employees.

SomTervo

This is outrageous. Why should the janitor receive the same amount as the CEO who does (conservatively) 300x as much work? Germany is so backward.

1. If all the janitors and factory workers quit immediately, where would the CEO be? Every organisation is a collaboration from top to bottom. The happier everyone is the better it will function.

2. What evidence do you have that the CEO does 300x as much work?

3. It's a pretty damn politlcally powerful + fiscally developed country for somewhere that's "backward".

friday

If this was an American company the officers of the company would have just split up a $200 million bonus between themselves.

npm0925

Calm down, guys. All I'm saying is it would be more fair if the janitors got a reasonable bonus (maybe a $50 Best Buy or Olive Garden gift card, if they have those in Germany) and the CEO could get a limited edition golden Porsche 911.

SomTervo

Calm down, guys. All I'm saying is it would be more fair if the janitors got a reasonable bonus (maybe a $50 Best Buy or Olive Garden gift card, if they have those in Germany) and the CEO could get a limited edition golden Porsche 911.

The janitors' salary is probably 1/100th as much as the CEOs.

Is that good enough for you?

The bonus is a thanks to everyone in the organisation for keeping it running so well.

Kiraly

He is joking guys.

Although I did read outraged comments on Reddit because an engineer contributes to the success much more than a janitor does, while still getting the same bonus. Damn corporate Anglo-Saxon thoughts. I'm sure an engineer at Porsche is already getting an above average salary compared to the rest of the industry.

Jisgsaw

This is a very nice gesture by Porsche, one that'll surely increase the imago of the company and the morale of the employees.

Ehm, while great, this bonus is not something Porsche specific, it is pretty standard for OeMs to pay a yearly bonus based on profits to all employee (at least in Germany)

KHlover

Banned
He is joking guys.

Although I did read outraged comments on Reddit because an engineer contributes to the success much more than a janitor does, while still getting the same bonus. Damn corporate Anglo-Saxon thoughts. I'm sure an engineer at Porsche is already getting an above average salary compared to the rest of the industry.
I think they make somewhere between 70-80k per year? Quite a bit more than I make, also Engineer but in a different industry.

Hypron

rPNCqww.jpg

But commas as decimal points doesn't make sense :S for 9 Euros and 11 cents that would be a decimal point, like 9.11

It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's just a different standard. If you'd have grown up with it you wouldn't have an issue with it.

Dali

I wish all companies gave annual bonuses to its employees based on revenue. My company just dispersed ours this year. Sucks having straight 1/3rd of it disappear into the hands of a government run by an orange idiot though.

Nice.

Here in the good old USA at my Fortune 500 (100) company, I don't even get a cost of living allowance raise this year, and new hires now get 2 weeks of vacation per year down from the 3 they used to get.

They've probably got to make sure our CEO gets another massive increase in compensation, and how else are they expected to pay for the robots to replace us?

SomTervo

It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's just a different standard. If you'd have grown up with it you wouldn't have an issue with it.

But surely in school and university (i.e. maths) decimal points are used for numbers ? In which case it's an arbitrary changearound? (Not saying we in the UK are invulnerable to arbitrary stuff but this is really confusing.)

I've been working with some Swedish guys for over a year and they put floats like 100.70 but then if they're talking about 100 euros and 70 cents they write 100,70. Just what? It's still a decimal floating point number.

I'm not sure but the backslash is that there are still many workers who do the same but don't get the bonus and the salary is also less because one part of it is paid to brokerage companies.

Dingens

"bu bu shareholder rights"

y... I never got that "argument" until I started reading books about "shareholder value" and how shareholding differs from Anglo-Saxon countries to everyone else. If Porsche was a US or UK company, that money would've gone to shareholders, no doubt.

It's so hard to tell.

really? I thought it was pretty obvious... but I'm also used to reading shit like that all the time

Hypron

Time to move to metric, son..

What do you mean? A lot of non-English countries use the comma as a decimal separator and they all use the metric system.

940px-DecimalSeparator.svg.png

All the green countries use a comma as decimal separator.

It's also the ISO standard for technical drawings.

But surely in school and university (i.e. maths) decimal points are used for numbers ? In which case it's an arbitrary changearound? (Not saying we in the UK are invulnerable to arbitrary stuff but this is really confusing.)

I've been working with some Swedish guys for over a year and they put floats like 100.70 but then if they're talking about 100 euros and 70 cents they write 100,70. Just what? It's still a decimal floating point number.

No, commas are used everywhere in those countries - when you learn math in school you write "100,70" and not "100.70" . The guys you are working with probably use a mix because they interact with English speakers and English software on a regular basis. It's possible to choose which you want to use in software like MS Office, but it's not the case with all programs (which are made first and foremost for English speakers).

serious? 600 euros as bonus? Curious but what do you work as?

from where i am from in singapore, we have something called 'Annual Wage Supplement' that is negotiated in the employment contracts for most employees that guaranteed at one month's salary worth of bonus at the end of the work year...

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/salary/variable-wage-components

usually in germany you will get a thirteenth salary called christmas money. not everywhere but quite customary. sometimes you also get some extra money for vacation as well. depends on employer though.

porsche probably gives their employees both (as they are under IG Metall collective agreements) and that 9000€ is on top of that
He is joking guys.

also the engineers will probably have better employment contracts and individual bonuses as well

For the janitors that's probably about another years salary on top. Mad respect, but not surprising. I had the opportunity to witness their workflow optimization Crews a few years ago. They put a lot of value on treating workers right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom