• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom wants to release Ys VI on PS4 someday

Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo wants to release Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim for PlayStation 4, he told the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation.

“There was a desire within the development staff working on Ys I & II Eternal Story at the time to gain strength working on a completely new title in the series, so we decided on the development of VI as the numbered title following V,” Kondo told Dengeki PlayStation.

Kondo continued, “Ys VI has already been ported to consumer devices outside of PC, but since over 10 years have already passed since its release in 2003, I want to put it on PlayStation hardware in some form.”

Finally, Kondo teased, “While there aren’t any plans right now, if we do it, I think it will be on PlayStation 4.”
http://gematsu.com/2016/06/falcom-wants-release-ys-vi-ps4

I'd prefer to see a Ys V remake first, as that one really needs one.

What I want from Ys first....

Ys IX :
A Ys that takes the timeline forward to late-20s/30 year old Adol. The story has been stuck in his early-to-mid-20s for way too long now. I'd love a change of look and pace for Adol, with a little bit of more grizzled look to him. And for his girl-of-the-game to be an older woman for once.

After that then a Ys V remake, so we finally close the loop of all games.

Zhao_Yun

PS4 port would be nice! I still miss this game in my Ys Collection and I would vastly prefer having it on PS4 than on PC.

this is great news. i have to replay napishtim anyway. this would be a good opportunity to add new challenges and options to these games.

felghana and origin are only a matter of time now.

What I want from Ys first....
...is a spinoff one-off solo-style game starring Geis, chronicling when and why he started tracking Ernst out of Danaan. Falcom could get very creative with a lone wolf story like that. Obviously an older Adol adventure's gonna happen at some point, but you might as well suggest we go straight to his final journey to the North Pole.

There's an updated PC version. Come on dont tell me it'd take so much time and efforts to make it.
Seriously. I think Kondo's being sneaky and really saying he wants to get XSEED's version onto console. Maybe he'll give proper credit and make an example of how good XSEED has been for the company's games.

...is a spinoff one-off solo-style game starring Geis, chronicling when and why he started tracking Ernst out of Danaan. Falcom could get very creative with a lone wolf story like that. Obviously an older Adol adventure's gonna happen at some point, but you might as well suggest we go straight to his final journey to the North Pole.

Seriously. I think Kondo's being sneaky and really saying he wants to get XSEED's version onto console. Maybe he'll give proper credit and make an example of how good XSEED has been for the company's games.

XSeed and Falcom relation regarding ports has been really weird. It'd be easy as shit to make a PC -> PS4 port or PS4 -> PC port. Worse than that, there are cases Falcom licensed PC ports for Asian market but not for West. WTF is wrong with them.

Lucumo

Kondo continued, “Ys VI has already been ported to consumer devices outside of PC, but since over 10 years have already passed since its release in 2003, I want to put it on PlayStation hardware in some form.”
It was released on the Playstation 2.

Re: Ys Seven/Celceta in 60 FPS instead of retreading Ys VI, I wouldn't be surprised if the recent Ys games are coded around a framerate target instead of being more flexible. And I seriously hope that's not the case given how flexible their PC games are in terms of framerate, but you never know what changed during their shift to console.

XSeed and Falcom relation regarding ports has been really weird. It'd be easy as shit to make a PC -> PS4 port or PS4 -> PC port. Worse than that, there are cases Falcom licensed PC ports for Asian market but not for West. WTF is wrong with them.
Falcom's Chinese sales are at least double the revenue cut going to Falcom from sales of XSEED's releases. If they want to keep licensing out to Joyoland, then they have more than good reasons.

At least Felghana got ported at all. Origin is still just on the PC. Maybe it was unpopular in Japan or something...
You're right! Origin is unpopular in Japan, mainly because you don't play as Adol because gee who cares about these people who did Adol-tier battling and drama centuries before Adol. (Brandish 4 used a similar concept back in 1996 and was ignored/panned/hated for the same reason, not keeping the series's main characters because they didn't fit the premise). Ys Seven got made because Falcom needed to restart the series again, which they'd already done with Ys VI.

Syril

Re: Ys Seven/Celceta in 60 FPS instead of retreading Ys VI, I wouldn't be surprised if the recent Ys games are coded around a framerate target instead of being more flexible. And I seriously hope that's not the case given how flexible their PC games are in terms of framerate, but you never know what changed during their shift to console.
I don't think they are. Playing Seven there are parts where the framerate drops. If it was coded around the framerate, wouldn't it have slowdown instead?

You're right! Origin is unpopular in Japan, mainly because you don't play as Adol because gee who cares about these people who did Adol-tier battling and drama centuries before Adol. (Brandish 4 used a similar concept back in 1996 and was ignored/panned/hated for the same reason, not keeping the series's main characters because they didn't fit the premise). Ys Seven got made because Falcom needed to restart the series again, which they'd already done with Ys VI.
Man, that's kinda sad. I mean, I like Adol plenty as a legendary hero archetype like Link, but Yunica was certainly more of a proper character. Never mind the other two player characters, who were unconventional by any RPG standards, let alone Ys standards.

I don't think they are. Playing Seven there are parts where the framerate drops. If it was coded around the framerate, wouldn't it have slowdown instead?

Good point. I just hope people buy XSEED's latest commissioned PC ports (mainly Little King's Story and Shinovi Versus) so there's reason to do one for Ys Seven/Celceta.

Man, that's kinda sad. I mean, I like Adol plenty as a legendary hero archetype like Link, but Yunica was certainly more of a proper character. Never mind the other two player characters, who were unconventional by any RPG standards, let alone Ys standards.
That's why relying on hardcore fans, even when you're Falcom, is a double-edged prospect. Adol the Self-Insert Red was too important for some customers back then, and look how their apathy/hate landed us with party-system Ys whether you like it or not.

Interesting that they would do this before bringing Seven/Celcetta to PC in the west. Guess they really are dedicated to the Playstation platforms these days.

Kudo

Never played Ys VI so this definitely would be something I'm interested in.
Seems to be more of a dream talk though, let's hope they can make them true.

Interesting that they would do this before bringing Seven/Celcetta to PC in the west. Guess they really are dedicated to the Playstation platforms these days.
Falcom's programmers are dedicated to learning the ins-and-outs of Sony's platforms right now, they have presumably no time/space for working on PC ports. That's why I really want XSEED's PC works to keep selling so they can get outside port teams to bear the burden.

Seems to be more of a dream talk though, let's hope they can make them true.
No way Falcom would have trouble getting an older game using Windows code-base onto PS4, especially one most players experience using a controller.

Lucumo

By Konami. Falcom didn't do the port. I think you'll find that to be the case more often than not regarding their older catalog being ported to consoles.

You appear not to have read the statement that I quoted as well as my second post shortly thereafter where I clarified that I obviously do know who did what, being acquainted with the series for a long, long time.

Begaria

They need to remake V first.

They did.

ys5coverps2.jpg

Yeah, but Taito also remade Wanderers from Ys (III) and IV (based more on Falcom's original documents) in that same period of time. Falcom's got a chance now to remake Ys V since they've redone Ys IV, and I hope they go wild and ditch the party system for something new just as Ys V did.

Honestly, I was expecting a retelling of V before VI, but yeah, I assume this isn't what Kondo had in mind.

By retelling, I mean something like Felghana or Celceta, not "just" a remake.

Top Bottom