• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has one of the weirdest openings I've seen in a long time

Sou Da

Why does the intro video exist?

I'm still mad about this. It does nothing but waste a bunch of money and reinforce the idea that there's a "real" protagonist you should be picking.

Coll1der

Banned
But I think it's good storytelling. Someone stole your kid, killed your SO, and called you "the backup." That's all I need. The rest of the story is out in the world.

Except it's still bad even if it's in the world. The thing that you recapped is called "premise", not "storytelling" and most definitely it's not related to the OP's topic who specifically mentions first few hours.

Funnily enough I didn't think of this at all.

In fact, I thought that because the vaults were already built ages ago, that these people knocking on doors already know what's about to happen (have been told by the government) so they get round to people and put them in the vault as soon as they can before the bombs actually hit. So when he showed up that guy already knew what was about to happen.

Whilst I can understand people frustrated in not spending some time in the vault, but for me I was glad to be out and about straight away.

I do however think that instead of skipping the "living inside the vault" tutorial they had in F3 they could of spent more time in pre-apocalypse times and set the tutorial for longer there instead. And that way you could get more character development in for the story twist that happens in the vault... if you know what I mean? Would of made the twist more impactful.

Either way, it's bethesda. I didn't expect much in the writing/story department lol.

Sethista

for me the worse of it was when you wake up and you go to your wife's body and says I will find who did this, and thats it. no emotion, nothing, it was really poorly acted.

yeah, its weird to be doind other stuff when you want to find your kid, but hey, you are taking advice from a drugged out lady as to where you should go to find him, so theres that.

Plus, I played 100+ hours through 3 mass effect games, and I had a party in sheppards apartment while the reapers were killing millions of people. the main character doing side stuff while looking for his son does not phase me at all.

After you close the door, your house robot informs you that your baby-son (that you love very much, so you are told) needs you to press the A key for him, so you go there and do it. IMMEDIATELY after this happens your robot calls you again, because the fucking bombs are dropping. Yes. Literally SECONDS after you were informed that you got a place in the Vault-Tec bunker, the bombs are dropping. If this Vaul-Tec guy would have been here a minute later, the entire game wouldn't happen.

To Bethesda's credit, this part is actually explained in the terminals in the Vault itself. It even explains how they were suprised/glad to get the couple with the child at the last minute.

Moff

F3 was a lot better, I remember being actually impressed by F3's beginning in the vault and the first town. mostly because I expected nothing after the extremely shallow oblivion, but still.
F4 is a lot worse than that, very rushed, zero immersion, and that "war never changes" intro movie, ugh. dumb.

Teletraan1

Banned
Needless to say spoilers (first 15 min only) ahead.

On the overseers computer terminal it states how the majority of people made it to the vault 'including that family who left it to the last minute' also I think you significant other states that the vault-tec salesman is at the door again. While not making excuses (it does all happen very quickly) it is explained somewhat. I would have liked to see like 1 or even 2 other people survive being frozen, also if I had just lost my wife and saw my son kidnapped I be a bit sadder than my character was, maybe I'm a wuss...

I wouldn't say it's weird, just not played out as well as it could have been.

I read all that as well. It seemed pretty straightforward to me. Each vault is a social experiment. The entire beginning was not executed very well but it gets you into the game faster than before. I think that people have an expectation that they are going to spend a bit of time in the vault at first (which I never enjoy) after they released that Fallout Shelter mobile game. I was glad to be out of there and proclaimed wasteland Jesus as soon as possible.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I agree with pretty much anything except the minor point you make about no one telling you the Vault was a cryonics chamber, that's the point. The majority of all Vault-Tec Vaults are not actually supposed to shield survivors from the horrors of the nuclear apocalypse, they are secretly testing facilities. A lot of the fun of the Fallout game is finding these Vaults and discovering what sick thing Vault-Tec was experimenting with in whichever Vault you happened to be exploring at the time.

That said, Bethesda needs to just outsource all story and quest design to Obsidian they clearly don't know how to write open-world stories let alone a Fallout story. Why the hell does everyone act like the bombs fell yesterday? It's kind of cute that Diamond City, unlike Megaton, has a small "farm" and water reclamation center but it's hilarious to think they could sustain the population of that town. New Vegas, on the other hand, had acres upon acres of farmland to sustain the population complete with miles of irrigation and Brahamin to graze the land because Obsidian cared and thought about these things.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
But I think it's good storytelling. Someone stole your kid, killed your SO, and called you "the backup." That's all I need. The rest of the story is out in the world.

Again, New Vegas had a similar set-up, just better executed and much fast: Somebody shot you, you survive, find out who shot you. That's really it at the beginning.
But they didn't waste my time with an intro sequence that's rushed and uninteresting.
If that's all you need, wouldn't you then say that the opening was way too long?

My hunch is that the "before the bomb" part was cut massively to streamline the intro, that's why it feels so rushed. They kept the main beats but condensed a 1-2 hour story in 15 minutes.

shandy706

Did OP read the system logs inside the bunker?

(That at least covers why and how things happened to you and the reason for that bunker)

I took my time down there. Finding a hidden weapon, other things.

I found the opening to be predictable, but not weird or bad in any way.

My hunch is that the "before the bomb" part was cut massively to streamline the intro, that's why it feels so rushed. They kept the main beats but condensed a 1-2 hour story in 15 minutes.

I think that was the right decision overall

Probably would have been really annoyed if the intro dragged on any longer

Fantastapotamus

Did OP read the system logs inside the bunker?

I took my time down there. Finding a hidden weapon, other things.

I found the opening to be predictable, but not weird or bad in any way.

I read the system logs. I don't think they really make things that much better. Didn't find a hidden weapon though, unless you are talking about the
one in the safe with a master lock on it.

(That at least covers why and how things happened to you and the reason for that bunker)
Or maybe I missed them. I read some, but none of them were really that satisfying, so maybe I didn't read the right ones?

foxtrot3d

Banned
Again, New Vegas had a similar set-up, just better executed and much fast: Somebody shot you, you survive, find out who shot you. That's really it at the beginning.
But they didn't waste my time with an intro sequence that's rushed and uninteresting.
If that's all you need, wouldn't you then say that the opening was way too long?

Exactly. FO4's opening is horrible because of the forced emotional attachment it is trying to place on the player. If somebody actually stole your son and killed your wife would you really spend 50 or so hours dicking around and rebuilding 300 year old settlements? NV's setup didn't force anything on to you, some dude shot you and you could simply decide you wanted to track him down or just forget about it. Plus, you find Benny very early and resolve that whole situation pretty quick. The game's story isn't about you getting shot in the face and getting revenge, the story is about New Vegas and how you shape it's future, if it has any main story at all.

LuuKyK

It really is pretty bad. The timing of everything is hilarious. It is also weird how that one soldier says "send the elevator down" when the bomb hits and then stands there waiting for his death. Like realistically he and all the other soldiers wouldn't try and save their lives by going in the elevator too. I mean there is not much you can do when such a bomb drops...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I agree with the earlier poster talking about the fact that literally no one in 200 years has bothered to pick up all the trash all over the place. There's shit lying around everywhere.Plus there are weapons, medical gear and currency just sitting around for anyone to take it, but no one has ever thought to do so. No one in this post-apocalyptic society of scavengers has thought to pick stuff up and re-use it/scrap it before you come along.

CHC

OP I gotta hand it to you, I laughed my ass off while reading this.

That sounds terrible. Like, I would rather you just awaken in a vault with literally no memory of anything and just go and do whatever. At least then its conceivable you could have SOME experience fighting / killing / leading / scavenging / whatever.

The funniest is the "bombs drop 2 minutes later." It would be like if in the Last of Us they didn't skip ahead, but instead just had Joel wander 2 blocks over to an instantly quarantined city and meet Tess and Ellie. It's seriously the easiest thing to avoid - just skip time. If they showed little vignettes from your pre-bomb life it would be so much better, but all in one day.... really?

Fantastapotamus

I agree with the earlier poster talking about the fact that literally no one in 200 years has bothered to pick up all the trash all over the place. There's shit lying around everywhere.Plus there are weapons, medical gear and currency just sitting around for anyone to take it, but no one has ever thought to do so. No one in this post-apocalyptic society of scavengers has thought to pick stuff up and re-use it/scrap it before you come along.

Well, that's your job now. ;)
(At least at places where you can build a town)

That sounds terrible. Like, I would rather you just awaken in a vault with literally no memory of anything and just go and do whatever. At least then its conceivable you could have SOME experience fighting / killing / leading / scavenging / whatever.

And yeah, that's why this is so weird to me. If you don't care about telling a "mainstory" (WHICH IS FINE, just look at what New Vegas did!) why put all the effort into setting up your non-story?
The F4 opening is just in the middle of everything. It doesn't set up a good story, because it is rushed, but it's also long enough to be annoying to replay if you want to do that. Either options would be fine. Take some time to set up your world or throw me in it.

DryvBy

Yes, I couldn't agree more. Even waking up with the death of your spouse seemed very weak. If you're playing a Fallout 4 for the plot, you're doing it wrong.

I am about 15 minutes further than you and my reaction at that point was pretty much:

latest

LOL. that was so my expression also.

The bombs going off after you are signed up for the bunker is what fuels my "VaultTec manipulated the governments into starting the war" theory

Sevenfold

The intro is awful. Not helped by its proximity to MGSV's grand opening. It's fleshed out by some lore in the terminals, but even so, it's incredibly badly paced as an introduction (and you only learn how to press E/A/X)

I expected nothing else but it getting in the way of me starting my game!

diamount

Banned

The funniest is the "bombs drop 2 minutes later." It would be like if in the Last of Us they didn't skip ahead, but instead just had Joel wander 2 blocks over to an instantly quarantined city and meet Tess and Ellie. It's seriously the easiest thing to avoid - just skip time. If they showed little vignettes from your pre-bomb life it would be so much better, but all in one day.... really?

Wow, a comparison to TLOA - so apt.

CHC

I don't understand how Bethesda can't hire some decent writers

I feel like so much of Bethesda's internal structure is just a remnant from when they were a smaller studio with less credentials. As in, they're all friends and it would be really awkward to fire / replace the shitty writers and animators. Which when I think of it like that I can't really blame them for.

Wow, a comparison to TLOA - so apt.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic..... but they're clearly going for the same kind of pacing / effect with the whole intro.

Yup, Bethesda, once again just not getting it right. Should have kept things past the old world (we don't need it, we know what happens), should have kept the protagonist a more clean slate and NO voice acting, and gave the player the chance to feel it in by waking up with your dead partner and missing child and diguring it out. I'm the savior schtick Bethesda has been doing lately is annoying as all hell.

CloudWolf

The main problem I see with the opening is not even how fast everything is, it's that you're not a blank slate. In previous mainline/canon Fallout games you were always a blank slate for the player to fill in: In Fallout 1 you were a random inhabitant of Vault 13 without a relevant backstory, in Fallout 2 you were 'the Chosen One' simply because you won a lottery and the only backstory you had was that you were the grandkid of the main character from the first game, in Fallout 3 you obviously watched your character grow up and thus kind of created your own backstory and in New Vegas you're a courier with a non-disclosed past that you can fill in yourself.

In Fallout 4 however you play a guy/woman with a very pronounced past life. He/she has a spouse and a child, lives in a busy neighourhood, has studied, is a war veteran, etc. You have very little to project in the character yourself and even if you decide to go for a particular playthrough/build it ends up feeling out of place with the start of the game. Why would this guy/gal who was a perfectly normal, upstanding citizen before the war suddenly resort to murdering everybody and being a dick when he wakes up? Because it's a game and you can, but from a roleplaying and story perspective it makes very little sense.

heringer

Felt like the whole thing was staged, like I was playing a part in the theatre or something, if that makes sense. Even the place you start the game looks like a small set of a TV show or something.

All of this chatter just makes me want to return my copy of Fallout 4 when it arrives today and finally crack into my copy of New Vegas.
That way I'll get the full Fallout experience with a narrative that won't insult my intelligence. (It won't insult my intelligence, right?)
Of course it won't! It's the best modern Fallout experience you can get. It was created by Obsidian (a team composed of people who worked on the original fallouts). It also has amazing writers and, if you're into Fallout's lore/story, it will add just more pleasure.

danowat

Banned
Ok, let's break it down.

You are living on the brink of nuclear destruction, anyone who, like me, lived through the cold war, will know just how much of a strain on your mind that can be.

The bombs drop, you rush to the shelter assuming everything is going to be ok down there.........

You wake up, witness your partner getting murdered and your son is kidnapped, you then realise that you've been in stasis for 200 years, let's be honest, in terms of mental state, after all that, all bets are off, I would imagine most people would go a bit loopy.

I get where those that are disappointed with it are coming from, in terms of pure role player, having any kind of back story is bad, but from a story telling perspective, I think it's an interesting prospect.

I mean it's pretty much standard P.A. fiction fare, typical fish out of water thrust into a life of survival and murder.

The only thing they could have done better is introduced weapons and combat into the story a little more gently, as it's a bit heavy handed as it is.

While we're on this subject I find it very immersion breaking that they gave the character a voice. In games with silent protagonists the developers don't have to write dialogue reactions because the reaction effectively comes from you as a player. You read some twist plot point or see some new scary enemy and you react as the player. When the character is voiced and doesn't react to some extraordinary moment or plot reveal it breaks my immersion. They voiced a reaction to seeing the first rad roach but nothing when you find out the true nature of the vault you were just in from the terminals. You'd think the character would be a little surprised to find out it was just an experiment. Also, when they happen upon a firefight for the first time and just start shooting with no context or reaction.

Your character's non-reactions to the world is annoying

But everything else - the Vault, the cryogenics, etc. - make sense IMO

The Vaults were never about safety. They're all designed to be different social experiments or used for scientific research on human subjects

There's a lot of info on the terminals about the Vault 111 experiment, the procedures they were supposed to follow, and such

Fantastapotamus

While we're on this subject I find it very immersion breaking that they gave the character a voice. In games with silent protagonists the developers don't have to write dialogue reactions because the reaction effectively comes from you as a player. You read some twist plot point or see some new scary enemy and you react as the player. When the character is voiced and doesn't react to some extraordinary moment or plot reveal it breaks my immersion. They voiced a reaction to seeing the first rad roach but nothing when you find out the true nature of the vault you were just in from the terminals. You'd think the character would be a little surprised to find out it was just an experiment. Also, when they happen upon a firefight for the first time and just start shooting with no context or reaction.

Yeah, I agree. I always try and play those games as a loner, who is more interested in himself than the rest of the world (I wonder what that says about me). But not only are my dialogue options severly limited in F4, most of them are just....uhm too friendly.
Even the "sarcastic" option is usually more like "Haha sarcasm" and not "fuck you sarcasm" (if that makes any sense.

Iorv3th

It's not, it was just a bit weird to me (again). Hey, if you were going to tell me "Now we are going to freeze you, so that you don't have to spend your life in this bunker!" I would be all for it! But yeah, it's not too far fetched.

Except that
everyone except you dies in cryo due to asphyxiation. What are the odds that the MC is the only one to survive somehow even though all the other machines malfunctioned

Just some of this stuff seemed really weird and broke any sense of immersion in the early part of the game.

The main problem I see with the opening is not even how fast everything is, it's that you're not a blank slate. In previous mainline/canon Fallout games you were always a blank slate for the player to fill in: In Fallout 1 you were a random inhabitant of Vault 13 without a relevant backstory, in Fallout 2 you were 'the Chosen One' simply because you won a lottery and the only backstory you had was that you were the grandkid of the main character from the first game, in Fallout 3 you obviously watched your character grow up and thus kind of created your own backstory and in New Vegas you're a courier with a non-disclosed past that you can fill in yourself.

In Fallout 4 however you play a guy/woman with a very pronounced past life. He/she has a spouse and a child, lives in a busy neighourhood, has studied, is a war veteran, etc. You have very little to project in the character yourself and even if you decide to go for a particular playthrough/build it ends up feeling out of place with the start of the game. Why would this guy/gal who was a perfectly normal, upstanding citizen before the war suddenly resort to murdering everybody and being a dick when he wakes up? Because it's a game and you can, but from a roleplaying and story perspective it makes very little sense.

It really doesn't. You are for all intents and purposes, a blank slate. What happened before means very little considering what you're faced with now. I don't know why people are making this so hard for themselves to understand. You're now alone in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, forced to survive or die, kill or be killed. You're been royally screwed over, and had everything taken from you. Yet people are obsessing over 'but I was a nice guy!'?

Harmen

Well, about the world going to hell just as you are entering the vault. While convenient timing for storytelling, sometimes luck is on your side as well. Not saying it is great writing, but just like those bombs could've been dropped months later/earlier, it doesn't mean this timing is not plausible at all. For all the people that were earlier or too late in Fallout's world, the story now revolves around a person that was just there on the right time.

I don't get why this is necessarily bad storytelling.

Anno

My assumption was that the guy came to get you because he knew the bombs were imminent, not that it's some coincidence. I think at least one terminal implied that.

CloudWolf

Improvement over Fallout 3, NV, and Skyrim.

Could not download quickstart mods fast enough
Huh? The opening of New Vegas is literally just Doc Mitchell checking you out so you can create your character and letting you loose in the world. That entire sequence lasts maybe 5 minutes.

Top Bottom