• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

King Dazzar

Hopefully adding the FOV slider to the PS5 version!
Now that would be amazing. Its actually a really simple ini.file tweak. But they would have to put in a slider. I'd really like them to add HDR too.

Alas, I doubt we see any of that - I'll bet this is just improvements/fixes to what they've already released. Though the wording is intriguing isnt it...

Švejk

Its free for everyone, i got it and im a PS+ Essential. They just did a real ass backwards way of doing it. Hang on, i'll repost how to get it....
Honestly wouldn't surprise me (even though that's what I tried it on, 40fps mode).
Can confirm it works.
Try this:
Ok, I see now .. that's the worst delivery I've ever seen on this storefront yet. So embedded and unclear, but I think I found it. I've been trying on my phone, not the PS5 itself. So retarded.

Anywho, thanks bros!

Markio128

I’m not too fussed about any additional graphical options, but if they’ve managed to solve the frequent crashes on PS5, I may give it another try.

Mr Moose

Oh really? I can only see one for free and one that costs in the store.
Try this:
I’ve managed to get this working now. I re-checked the options today and this time under the second “game” dropdown there was a Playstation Plus “Add to Library” option which wasn’t there last time. After clicking that it’s letting me boot the PS5 disc version without the PS4 disc inserted, didn’t even have to redownload.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
lNnpFrG.jpeg

What the fuck Bethesda lol

GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:

intbal

On Xbox, the syntax in the menu is different. So that's something.

Instead of Performance mode "On/Off", it's now a toggle between Peformance/Visuals.

I'm on a 1440p monitor, though. So it's defaulting to 60hz regardless (per their claims in the previous patch notes).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Ah, I see what they've done.

They've basically added the same options like that upcoming Starfield update.

You can separately choose between 30/40/60 and Performance/Quality toggles now.

edit: 40fps working on Xbox now.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

This area is been "fixed" (40fps mode, didn't try 60).
PC-COMP-0.jpg

Edit: Well it was until I looked again. WTF.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Does PS5 version just have Quality or Performance at 60fps, or does it also have the 40fps option?
Can someone who has 40 fps and 60 fps modes comment on how smooth it looks between them?

I HATE 30 fps games. Find them hard to play as they give me a headache. 60 fps is great. I’ve never tried 40 fps though. The 10 fps increase doesn’t sound like a lot but some people sing its praises.

Mr Moose

This area is been "fixed" (40fps mode, didn't try 60).
PC-COMP-0.jpg

Edit: Well it was until I looked again. WTF.
Now you see it

Fallout4202405131620.png

Now you don't
Fallout4202405131621.png

Makes me wonder if it was like this before the update as well but DF captured it after looking out at the different side.

adamsapple adamsapple If you're playing now could to test this for me on Xbox? Run to this area without looking out at the other areas when you're up there, take a pic, go to this area (the other side of the same area) and look there for a bit, then go back to the first area and take another pic? (40fps quality mode).

Last edited:

adamsapple

So does it just cap the fps at 40 when the 40hz option is selected?

You can choose between 30 / 40 / 60 FPS in the games settings. The 40 option won't be there if you're not on a 120hz display. You can pair the "Quality" mode with 60 FPS now too, but it will probably lead to a lot more drops.

The one thing this patch doesn't have, is an uncapped frame rate option. Which the Starfield update will, reportedly. So, this iteration of the Creation Engine seems like it really cannot go above 60 FPS without risks of breaking things even more.

You can choose between 30 / 40 / 60 FPS in the games settings. The 40 option won't be there if you're not on a 120hz display. You can pair the "Quality" mode with 60 FPS now too, but it will probably lead to a lot more drops.

The one thing this patch doesn't have, is an uncapped frame rate option. Which the Starfield update will, reportedly. So, this iteration of the Creation Engine seems like it really cannot go above 60 FPS without risks of breaking things even more.
I just wonder if the 40fps and 60fps quality modes are same with the 40fps mode just capping the fps. Would be nice if the 60fps quality mode is just capping the mode to 60fps with equal settings of the 40fps mode. VRR could probably cover the major drops.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I just wonder if the 40fps and 60fps quality modes are same with the 40fps mode just capping the fps. Would be nice if the 60fps quality mode is just capping the mode to 60fps with equal settings of the 40fps mode. VRR could probably cover the major drops.

In the original video, they said the visual quality is 'unchanged' between the 30 / 40 hz modes. Which is probably the same case here, hence you'll see a lot more drops if trying Quality mode at 60 FPS now.

King Dazzar

Visual mode at 60fps isn't locked, you can definitely see drops. Its especially bad when using VATS
Its good to have the option for future hardware though. Or enabling VRR.

Only minor annoyance the patch brought for me was resetting my display settings. Had my HUD and PIP Boy colours set perfectly too. Hopefully they leave the game alone now.

adamsapple

Now you see it

Fallout4202405131620.png

Now you don't
Fallout4202405131621.png

Makes me wonder if it was like this before the update as well but DF captured it after looking out at the different side.

adamsapple adamsapple If you're playing now could to test this for me on Xbox? Run to this area without looking out at the other areas when you're up there, take a pic, go to this area (the other side of the same area) and look there for a bit, then go back to the first area and take another pic? (40fps quality mode).

I don't have any farther saves in the game lol, only the opening. Will check when I get to it, is that from the top of the corvega factory?

poodaddy

Just running around the first area (Concord) and it feels like the game is within the VRR range. Diamond City and the Corvega areas are probably gonna be bigger tests.
How's stability? Am I good to go? Been waiting to start a new game on Series X, been itching for it since the show, and if it's pretty much good to go I think I'm gonna jump in.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
gas station directly southeast of sanctuary. It’s just too perfectly convenient.
I was using that but it became a slog on survival, I opted for the drive in cinema after a while..

Now that's become a slog getting junk for!

I never knew either that the settlers can use your power armour while you're not there! It went missing and I caught some twat in it, so I stuck it on the roof.. :unsure:

I was talking to him thinking 'why is a setler in armour, went to get in mine and realised that cheeky bastard stole it.

Last edited:

poodaddy

I have no idea, I'm still rocking the C8
I'm an on E9, so only up one gen from you, but I jumped in as soon as LG's had the full HDMI 2.1 Suite. I've had G Sync on PC for over ten years now, and once you get used to VRR I find it's impossible to go back. It allows me to play games with sometimes obnoxiously odd frame drops and just not be bothered, so long as it stays within the VRR window....which I'm hoping applies to this next Gen patch on Series X. Guess we'll see when I start a file later -_-

Filben

At this point on PC, they'd be better of to never touch this game again and let the modders do their own work.

Not sure how the console people think about this. Mods do exist there, too. But man, their efforts are so miniscule. Not sure if incompetence, one intern doing everything or that crappy engine hold together by duct tape is the issue.

Last edited:

adamsapple

How's stability? Am I good to go? Been waiting to start a new game on Series X, been itching for it since the show, and if it's pretty much good to go I think I'm gonna jump in.

I never had stability related issues the little I played before today's patch so can't comment much on that.

So far it seems like it plays fine and fixes the missing Quality mode on the Xbox without any immediately noticeable issues.

Top Bottom