• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 11/19/09 - Phoenix Wright (Wiiware), NMH (PS360)

gofreak said:
So...umm...will NMH use the wand and/or natal? Or the regular controllers?

From the release date it looks like it's coming the week after the wand's release, so..?

I wouldn't be so sure about that wand release date. Famitsu's article on Resident Evil makes no mention of the motion controls. It's not even in the information box about the game. I'm pretty sure the info box from the original Famitsu September preview did list the device.

The wording of the Famitsu NMH article suggests that the controls are being made to be button-based. They say to wait for a followup report for further details on the controls.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AndriaSang said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that wand release date. Famitsu's article on Resident Evil makes no mention of the motion controls. It's not even in the information box about the game. I'm pretty sure the info box from the original Famitsu September preview did list the device.

The wording of the Famitsu NMH article suggests that the controls are being made to be button-based. They say to wait for a followup report for further details on the controls.

I see, thanks. Sounds kind of vague.

Jonnyram

farnham said:
what was metroid prime triology (or the metroid new play control games in japan) called..? remake or port..?
You tell me. It's using the exact same code and assets and pretty much running on the same hardware, so you'd be hard pushed to squeeze the term remake in there :lol

For Wii remakes, see Klonoa and Dead Rising, and NiGHTs too, kind of.

Magypsy23

Banned
Jonnyram said:
To be honest, there's been a pretty thin line for this terminology this gen, but I believe Rez on XBLA and God of War 1/2 on PS3 are both referred to as HD remakes, so why would NMH be any different? Or is this terminology selective, based on which jacket you're wearing?

For me to consider the HD version of NMH a remake, it would have to at least look visually different. The pictures in famitsu look identical to the Wii version. Would you contest that replacing motion controls with button input makes it a remake?

remz

NMH had pretty solid character models, I think a higher res version with a bit of AA would look pretty good. (the atrocious hub area aside)

farnham

Banned
remz said:
NMH had pretty solid character models, I think a higher res version with a bit of AA would look pretty good. (the atrocious hub area aside)
check out the 720p wii emulator shots thread..

the game indeed looks great in higher res

remz said:

Santa Destroy doesn't actually look that bad. It's well-designed... but yeah, empty and boring and tedious.

Kozak

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Which is why the waggling in the game was minimal?

I don't follow. At all.

The game had waggle and the waggle was pretty necessary. You played the game, I played the game as much as I could, we both know the waggle it did have was pretty necessary.

Also, believe it or not, the placement of the buttons on the Wii remote is not as comfortable as the button placements on the 360/Ps3 controllers.

Mdk7

No More Heroes kinda sucked on Wii (i think it's probably the most overlooked game of the generation), it will probably be the same on PS360.

randomwab

NMH controls would work fine if they move the Waggle stuff to the sticks, I can see it working great.

I really hoped Grasshopper would do this back when I played through the original on Wii, and I'm glad it's finally happening. I hope there isn't too big of a gap between the Japanese and English release. Hopefully if there is, the Japanese version will have English subtitles. Doesn't seem to unlikely if they're throwing the original English dub in.

[Nintex]

Lufia looks great, NMH is an upscaled SD game. Will Suda have another launch event with only him and Famitsu attending?

Dali

If NMH PS360 does well then maybe MMV has solved Japan's HD development problem.

1)Develop a game HD gamers want for the Wii.
2)Let them stew. Release the game for an HD a significant amount of time later. At this point the people that wanted it will just be happy it's on a system they own. Also if they are aware of the game's pedigree they are more forgiving of any graphical shortcomings.
3)????
4)Profit

So in essence they are developing a Wii game for an HD system. They don't have to fuss with all the newfangled HD techniques or graphical bells and whistles or huge teams and big big budgets (or whatever else they complain about). Just raise the internal resolution and port the code.

Of course this is assuming no major graphical changes were made.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jonnyram said:
You tell me. It's using the exact same code and assets and pretty much running on the same hardware, so you'd be hard pushed to squeeze the term remake in there :lol

For Wii remakes, see Klonoa and Dead Rising, and NiGHTs too, kind of.
To me a remake is... a remade game, with remade code and assets. The "scans" seem to show exactly the same assets as the Wii version.
Sorry, Jonny, but this looks like a port with added features (and there's nothing wrong with a port, it's not like it's inferior to a remake... I'm saying "sorry" just because you're insisting with your weird - to me - definition of remake) exactly like RE4 PS2 was a port with added features. The only difference is the fact NMH is being ported to much more powerful hardware, but this isn't enough to make it a remake.

randomwab said:
NMH controls would work fine if they move the Waggle stuff to the sticks, I can see it working great.
Yeah, this is what I'm expecting them to do. I'm just afraid it still won't be the same, finishers and wrestling moves were the best part in the combat system of this game, and even if I secretly hope they're going to add Wand/Natal support I already know they're not going to :/

Flek

Banned
one more reason not to buy a wii <3 Ive always wanted to try NMH :D Lets just hope europe gets the uncut version too this time (yeha i know the european one is the japanese and not cut blablabla )

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dali said:
If NMH PS360 does well then maybe MMV has solved Japan's HD development problem.

1)Develop a game HD gamers want for the Wii.
2)Let them stew. Release the game for an HD a significant amount of time later. At this point the people that wanted it will just be happy it's on a system they own. Also if they are aware of the game's pedigree they are more forgiving of any graphical shortcomings.
3)????
4)Profit

So in essence they are developing a Wii game for an HD system. They don't have to fuss with all the newfangled HD techniques or graphical bells and whistles or huge teams and big big budgets (or whatever else they complain about). Just raise the internal resolution and port the code.

Of course this is assuming no major graphical changes were made.

So they'd basically be making the Wii the lead SKU, despite it being the most inferior hardware.

Like the PS2 being the lead SKU despite its inferior hardware in the previous gen.

If everyone did this, the world would make so much more sense

I love No More Heroes, one of my top favorite games, and was excited to hear we'd get more of it but now I'm not too optimistic about it just being a port with Grasshopper as supervisor. I want more of the Suda51 magic. Does anyone know if he has any direct involvement with this yet? Cause I'm sure he'd have some wonderful, wacked out ideas to add based on the other systems.

Jonnyram

Jocchan said:
To me a remake is... a remade game, with remade code and assets. The "scans" seem to show exactly the same assets as the Wii version.
If they are using the same assets. I have no problem with calling it a port either.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jonnyram said:
If they are using the same assets. I have no problem with calling it a port either.
That's what they seem to me, honestly.
I know the "scans" are extremely blurry and low quality, but I would be really surprised if they weren't because they look exactly the same.

I gotta say that the "I don't have to buy X system now yay yippee <3!!" posts are among the most obnoxious I've ever seen.
If you're geniunely happy about it that's great. Nobody cares certainly but still, great. If you're just doing it to get a rise out of people well congrats you're a tool and need to get out more.

mclem

Stumpokapow said:
- Little King's Story; although best of all would be if the game had IR control.

As an aside, I always thought that the reason LKS didn't go for IR control was specifically so they'd have it nice and easy to port to another system down the line; keeping their options open.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good news for NMH. The Wii game was pretty enjoyable, but holy shit was it ugly (and ran poorly). The type of visuals they designed for the game just didn't work on the Wii (Killer 7 looked *MUCH* better). Here's hoping they actually improve the visuals beyond resolution...

but I would be really surprised if they weren't because they look exactly the same.
That's disappointing. :\ Ah well, I suppose a massive image quality improvement and hopefully a steady framerate will go a long way. The image quality of the original release was just so damn bad.

dark10x said:
Good news for NMH. The Wii game was pretty enjoyable, but holy shit was it ugly (and ran poorly). The type of visuals they designed for the game just didn't work on the Wii (Killer 7 looked *MUCH* better). Here's hoping they actually improve the visuals beyond resolution...

That's disappointing. :\ Ah well, I suppose a massive image quality improvement and hopefully a steady framerate will go a long way. The image quality of the original release was just so damn bad.
Bear in mind peoples impressions are coming from blurry as fuck scans. They aren't even scans, they looked like photos to me. That and the shots are the size of postage stamps too. Everything is purely conjecture until direct feed shots are shown or a video etc.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, I can't believe the last 2 pages have been about what terminology to call this.

Kajiba

Welp, buying NMH again. :lol

I wonder how long NMH PS3/360 will take to come to america though. Hopefully not that long.

I should be doing hw said:
Bear in mind peoples impressions are coming from blurry as fuck scans. They aren't even scans, they looked like photos to me. That and the shots are the size of postage stamps too. Everything is purely conjecture until direct feed shots are shown or a video etc.

You can still kinda tell with some stuff. There's some cutscene closeup shots of various bosses where the models themselves don't look like they're more detailed (the models in the original were actually very good).

As for lighting and textures, that's impossible to really tell. There's one gameplay shot where it looks like the lighting effects on the characters have been improved; it looks more intense and bright, more similar to NMH2 than NMH1, and I think the shadows may be better.

Prine

Banned
The Wii cats bang on about NMH all the time, i've never really been interested in the game, only because they bang on about alot of games that seem bad to me, but the news of its arrival to next gen consoles means i have to check it out. Only if they get the visuals on par with other next gen games.

Hopefully, an online component too.

Dascu

- NMH PS360: As dark10x mentioned, a framerate boost and better image quality, plus the new (erotic) modes will already make this game worth getting. I hope it does get released outside of Japan for that reason. I do wonder how they're going to handle some of the motioncontrol stuff. Replacing everything, from the finishing moves to all those side-jobs, with button prompts could be very boring.

- Phoenix Wright WiiWare: Such a shame it's a straight port of the original. New case(s) later on sounds good though.

- Lufia: Oh yay, Action RPG with blocky 3D graphics. I am over-joyed. :-/

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Prine said:
I do believe you misunderstood how the rankings work in the game, unless you really want.

Code:
--World Rankings---
1.   Travis
1.   Travis
1.   Travis
1.   Travis
1.   Travis
1.   Travis
1.   Travis
1.   Travis
1.   Travis
1.   Travis

Shurs

No More Heroes on PS3.

dz801s.gif

They should totally release NMH on PSN and XBL instead of trying to get a publisher in on it to bring it to US/EU.

I seem to remember having this discussion about NMH coming to the HD consoles and being told "it wouldnt happen, motion control is too important!", then the announcement of NMH2 being fully playable with classic controller and now this :lol

It certainly looks like a big 'vote of no confidence' in the Wii from devs here, but I assume the magic that is TOSE is probably responsible.

nightside

Prine said:
The Wii cats bang on about NMH all the time, i've never really been interested in the game, only because they bang on about alot of games that seem bad to me, but the news of its arrival to next gen consoles means i have to check it out. Only if they get the visuals on par with other next gen games.

^makes little to no sense to me. expecially the bolded part.

NMH on ps360. now travis can take a dump in high definition.

really curious to know what "advanced mode" is. maybe they're revamping the combat system using the higher number of buttons? something like:

A: vertical slash
B: orizontal slash
X: kick/stun
Y: grabs
Rtrigger: change stance
shoulder buttons: fap...errr...recharge the beam katana battery

Dascu

Taking a better look at the scans... Lufia doesn't look half-bad. Heh! Now let's hope the dungeon design still holds up.

Wizpig

Bunch of sad news, it's like GTA Chinatown Wars on PSP all over again.

A Wii game that is fun mainly because of the Wiimote! let's put it on the 360!!!
A DS game that is one of the best experiences on the handheld because it's portable! let's put it on the downloadable service of a home console!!!

Seriously.
Being an Ace Attorney AND Suda51 fan myself, this is honestly ugly news.

Kuran

Banned
Wizpig said:
Bunch of sad news, it's like GTA Chinatown Wars on PSP all over again.

A Wii game that is fun mainly because of the Wiimote! let's put it on the 360!!!
A DS game that is one of the best experiences on the handheld because it's portable! let's put it on the downloadable service of a home console!!!

Seriously.
Being an Ace Attorney AND Suda51 fan myself, this is honestly ugly news.

f off, troll

Top Bottom