• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu info on Atlus new fantasy RPG Project Re Fantasy (Studio Zero, Hashino)

I would much rather publishers not reveal a game before anyone has even been hired to make it. This is ridiculous. Who knows if/when we will get this, or what it will even be like?

I am excited about the prospects of a new Atlus studio, though.

Shengar

Just keep that art and design direction please.

When was the last time we ever seen a redhead elf wear scale armor from head to toe?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can we just flood their Twitters and Email with messages to make the female elf the main character?

Like, an onslaught.

I think it would be a hard pitch.

This is what happened with Shin Megami Tensai 4: Apocalypse's main character: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1187843

Atlus said:
During the early planning phases, the main character was planned to be older than Flynn from Shin Megami Tensei IV. With Megaten games being designed around current sensibilities, it makes more sense for the main character of a modern Megaten game to be a youth with an incomplete sense of self, rather than an experience adult.

Flynn was 18 in the first game, to note.

And then as far as women go: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/1...-game-with-a-female-lead/#tubXE8bKHZ8Gmu4W.99

Atlus said:
Persona 3 Portable’s defining feature was the option to be a female protagonist and the always optimistic Maya Amano from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was one of the “coolest” heroines in the series.

Atlus has made memorable characters in the Shin Megami Tensei universe, but the numbered Shin Megami Tensei games only have male leads.

When I spoke with Masayuki Doi, character designer on Shin Megami Tensei IV, we talked about the idea of having a female protagonist in a mainline Shin Megami Tensei game. “I like female protagonists,” Doi said. “It would be cool to have a female protagonist in the next SMT game.”

“However, there are traditionalists that see the series from the past to present and all of the protagonists have been male. To keep that tradition, there is feedback I’ve been hearing saying that if there is a new SMT title we should keep the tradition of having a male lead.”
While there's interest in older and female lead characters at Atlus, it sounds like it's not really allowed to happen for business reasons. They almost assuredly still view Japan as their main target audience as well, so I'm not sure if I see that changing for the foreseeable future.

EO have a lot of steampunk and magitech element into it, so it's not exactly the traditional fantasy RPG they talking about.

------

Considering what they've done with Catherine and Persona 5, I'm really excited.

EO is also an example of
it was earth all along trope

I think it would be a hard pitch.

This is what happened with Shin Megami Tensai 4: Apocalypse's main character: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1187843

Flynn was 18 in the first game, to note.

And then as far as women go: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/1...-game-with-a-female-lead/#tubXE8bKHZ8Gmu4W.99

While there's interest in older and female lead characters at Atlus, it sounds like it's not really allowed to happen for business reasons. They almost assuredly still view Japan as their main target audience as well, so I'm not sure if I see that changing for the foreseeable future.

Well that's just great.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When was the last time we ever seen a redhead elf wear scale armor from head to toe?

02829170536eaf74fe2a94572f3ce1ada5978dfb_hq.jpg

(Not an elf but close enough)

Shengar

Don't forget that Atlus acted like Hamuko never existed despite her popularity.

Those scums at Atlus I swear.

http://pm1.narvii.com/5635/02829170536eaf74fe2a94572f3ce1ada5978dfb_hq.jpg[MG]
(Not an elf but close enough)[/QUOTE]

I should've emphasized the elf, since they stereotypically depicted as nimble fighters that wear tight clothes and the such.

Waji

Uff New IP, Fantasy, RPG, Hashino, Soejima and Meguro.
Let's do this, I'm ready for the next 5 year wait.
Which means P6 in 10 years T_T
That's good. As much as I liked P5, I think they're better working on something new if they have good ideas.
I just want great games, not especially always the same series.

That's good. As much as I liked P5, I think they're better working on something new if they have good ideas.
I just want great games, not especially always the same series.

It's the smarter and safer move. Beside we will have enough persona 5 side content to get us to persona 6 anyway.

Shengar

The last time P-Studio try something different is when we got Catherine.

I don't have a problem waiting 10 years for the next Persona games if that mean we could get another Catherine experience (freshness wise).

Setsu00

Don't forget that Atlus acted like Hamuko never existed despite her popularity.

Those scums at Atlus I swear.

Well, uh, actually Atlus released new Soejima art of her for the 20th anniversary of Persona.

You most likely meant as a character in the spin-off games, but still-

Setsu00

Hashino sounded really burnt out on Persona after working on P5 for such a long time in one his post-release interviews. I'm glad they're giving him the chance to do something different again.

Dantis

Dragon Crown's elf wasn't too bad, especially for Kamitani. If we're going way back, Growlanser had classy designs. Sometimes.
Loved the elf design in DC. This is much stronger though, I think. Much more unique. The closest comparison would probably be Witcher? It looks very different from everything Japanese that I can think of.

Well, uh, actually Atlus released new Soejima art of her for the 20th anniversary of Persona.

You most likely meant as a character in the spin-off games, but still-
Uh, what? Where?

Zolo

I just wish the Japanese otakus got their heads out of their collective asses and started embracing more varied stuff.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Catherine did pretty well in sales as well, so at least on pure numbers, I do think a large part is heads just being too worrying about other types of protagonists. I don't think Tales of Berseria really sold any worse than what would be expected either for the Tales series.

The superior MC.
Pretty easy when you come in a game with all the lessons learned from Persona 4.

Also, it should be noted she was used as the advertising pitch for Persona 3 Portable.

Zolo

Haven't you heard? Women are like Christmas cake...

Could be completely wrong, but at least in media, I noticed that I don't tend to see this joke played out quite as much anymore. Possibly to do with the fact that average marrying age is older than it now.

That said, it's rare to get a male protagonist older than that in Japan, so getting a female protagonist older than that would be great, but definitely not expected.

Not the protagonist??? Nooooo!
Expected since this game's still easily 3 years out. They're pretty much still in the concepts stage.

Could be completely wrong, but at least in media, I noticed that I don't tend to see this joke played out quite as much anymore. Possibly to do with the fact that average marrying age is older than it now.

That said, it's rare to get a male protagonist older than that in Japan, so getting a female protagonist older than that would be great, but definitely not expected.
I worked in a hoikuen for about 5 years. A lot of my coworkers vented their frustrations about it. It may not be as strong as it used to be but it's still around. One of my former coworkers had even given up on marriage because she said she was too old. She was 38 for God's sake.

I would much rather publishers not reveal a game before anyone has even been hired to make it. This is ridiculous. Who knows if/when we will get this, or what it will even be like?

This situation isn't exactly that, though. They're revealing this concept this early because they are looking to hire more staff to work on it under their new internal studio. It's a recruitment tactic, essentially.

Zolo

I worked in a hoikuen for about 5 years. A lot of my coworkers vented their frustrations about it. It may not be as strong as it used to be but it's still around. One of my former coworkers had even given up on marriage because she said she was too old. She was 38 for God's sake.

That sucks and is a real shame with things over there. :(

Still my favorite Persona game. I wish Atlus would stop centering dudes so much in all their games. Nirolak's post also makes me sad that they seemingly want to continue to play it 'safe'
There might still be a bit of hope since I think Hashino gets a bit more freedom like with Catherine.

Creative freedom doesn't mean they themselves have inclinations to make a female protagonist.... Just saying.

Maybe I'm bullshitting from remembering something wrongly, but I do recall Hashino or someone saying that they believe what Persona represents as a brand is the select core tenets of "student" and a few other elements, and that is their belief of what the franchise is and should always be.

Tldr; their creative freedom has them restrict what they feel Persona should be, and it's unlikely that we'll ever see an college/university/adult-life Persona game if they remain the core creatives of Persona for the foreseeable future and still hold steadfast to those beliefs.

cj_iwakura

Creative freedom doesn't mean they themselves have inclinations to make a female protagonist.... Just saying.

Maybe I'm bullshitting from remembering something wrongly, but I do recall Hashino or someone saying that they believe what Persona represents as a brand is the select core tenets of "student" and a few other elements, and that is their belief of what the franchise is and should always be.

Tldr; their creative freedom has them restrict what they feel Persona should be, and it's unlikely that we'll ever see an college/university/adult-life Persona game if they remain the core creatives of Persona for the foreseeable future and still hold steadfast to those beliefs.

Hashino didn't create Persona, and the creators believed that they needed to break out of the school formula to tell different stories. (That's why Eternal Punishment, the best game, exists.)

Closest we've gotten was Persona 2 but Hashino wasn't behind it.

So most likely going forward just expect it to be male teenager.

Hashino didn't create Persona, and the creators believed that they needed to break out of the school formula to tell different stories. (That's why Eternal Punishment, the best game, exists.)

I know that, but the original creators aren't the current shepherds of the Persona brand anymore.

Sadly, but he should have more respect for the history. If every Persona game is 'a year in high school', it's going to stagnate, fast.

Well, even if Persona 4 to 5 gap is an anamoly, we're still looking at basically only one Persona game per generation of console, with a dozen spin-offs and anime to milk the hell out of the characters until fans are tired of them and want the next cast.

It would be a lot slower to stagnate since mainline Persona games are unlikely to be frequent releases, even by video game development standards of length.

Top Bottom