• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu report on Japanese game market for first half of 2012

Metallix87

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201206/29017233.html

The data presented is taken from 12/26/2011 - 6/24/2012.

Market value:

Hardware: 70.73 billion yen (-11.4%)
Software: 122.67 billion yen (+9.4%)
Total: 193.40 billion yen (+0.7%)

Top 5 Titles:

1. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} - 1,618,621 / 1,618,621
2. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.03.01} - 806,578 / 806,578
3. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix) {2012.05.31} - 743,967 / 743,967
4. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} - 665,573 / 1,747,964
5. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) {2011.12.10} - 665,394 / 1,474,716

Hardware:

3DS: 2,219,548 / 6,355,287
PS3: 695,465 / 8,112,613
PSP: 500,333 / 18,737,441
PSV: 353,657 / 756,451
Wii: 265,578 / 12,433,321
360: 33,809 / 1,554,547
NDS: 20,239 / 32,855,741

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jesus almighty at 3DS. Jesus almighty in the complete opposite way for Vita.

3DS: 2,219,548
Everything else combined: 1,869,081

Not too surprising if you keep up with the Media Create threads but man, that is impressive.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
me being european + 3ds being region shitlocked = less likely

Then buy a japanese 3DS. You would import the games right ? Then import the console as well.

I bought a japanese 360 a few years back and a 3DS not long ago. Don't regret it one bit.

On the plus side, it seems that Japan isn't seeing the 40%+ drops in sales America and the UK are seeing, which makes me wonder WTF people are talking about when they proclaim Japanese gaming as dead.

GimMick

Pokémon still wrecking the charts in Japan after over 15 years of existence. And it isn't even a new gen game. Dat money printing !

First post finally YEAH !!!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
On the plus side, it seems that Japan isn't seeing the 40%+ drops in sales America and the UK are seeing, which makes me wonder WTF people are talking about when they proclaim Japanese gaming as dead.

I think people look at consoles when making that determination. The 3DS is doing just fine, and the DS/PSP did great last generation.

Go_Ly_Dow

Then buy a japanese 3DS. You would import the games right ? Then import the console as well.

I bought a japanese 360 a few years back and a 3DS not long ago. Don't regret it one bit.

the region locking affects me since atlus usa and xseed don't publish games in europe. also, it's still common for us to wait a lot longer compared to na.

when i do finally get a 3ds, it will most likely be an american one, since i don't understand japanese.

Plus in the future full game download from the eShop or online download code from stores like Play-Asia.

I think people look at consoles when making that determination. The 3DS is doing just fine, and the DS/PSP did great last generation.

That's probably true, especially since the 360 is dominating the US and UK markets, which a significant portion of gamers in general think are the only markets.

Everything, but One Piece will pass >1m

MH may pass 1m for the year if it gets a budget release with new marketing. Will not if MH4 releases.

One Piece will not break 1m.

Perhaps it will get a sales boost from the movie this year?

Oh well One Piece ftw, a shame Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations isnt up there, which makes me sad as Naruto > One Piece. Though Ill be getting One Piece once it releases here.

Surprised to see MK7 and MH3G with nearly identical sales, thought the former was doing much better.

LTD MK7 has sold 300k more units in Japan alone, add to the fact MH3G isn't
ever coming
out in US/PAL and MK7 is doing much better.

Man 3DS is really picking up steam, Vita continues to disappoint

LTD MK7 has sold 300k more units in Japan alone, add to the fact MH3G isn't
ever coming
out in US/PAL and MK7 is doing much better.

Man 3DS is really picking up steam, Vita continues to disappoint
I meant the YTD. Seeing MK7 doing usually better every week I thought the gap would be bigger.

Cyborg

Hardware sales: is this total or just first 6 months of 2012?
32m voor NDS? I think this is total from the launch

Also, didn't Japan have a rather large drop off a few years back? In which case the west is just catching up (with the dropping off) while Japan has reached stabilization and maybe some growth.

3DS: 2,219,548
Everything else combined: 1,869,081

Not too surprising if you keep up with the Media Create threads but man, that is impressive.

Sweetness. Hopefully Japanese 3rd parties don't screw things up because I rather like the idea of lots of major Japanese games on the 3DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
Didn't One Piece do over 600k it's first week? Talk about falling off a cliff..
About 627k yes, but it is also the best selling Musou type game this generation by far (the 2nd best selling is Hokuto no Ken Musou with about 600k (both the PS3 and Xbox 360 version combined)). And the drop off is comared to other Musou games this generation.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It amazes me that MS keeps the 360 afloat in Japan. Have we ever seen a system sell this low compared to other regions?
Japan 360 sales are way better than Japan Xbox 1 sales. Progress is progress, even if it's 'totally awful' to 'slightly less awful'.

And MS intends to have another console down the line. Won't really inspire confidence if the preceding one had the plug pulled on it early.

Nibel

iT7eL7ZbuxtWh.jpg

Well damn!

gogogow

You would think that a game that appeals to kids would have longer legs than a standard musou game, but I guess this genre seemingly has NO room for growth.

It had a much better start/FW than any Musou game before, so it's all about the end result. And it's the best selling Musou game this generation.

Emitan

I was waiting for Nintendo/Gamefreak to come up with a 3D Pokemon game for the 3DS using the models from Pokédex 3D. Those look awesome. But maybe i'll pick up Black/White.
I think the 3D models are pretty ugly. They look like clay or plastic or something.

Truth101

Banned
You would think that a game that appeals to kids would have longer legs than a standard musou game, but I guess this genre seemingly has NO room for growth.

Only 1 PS3 game has sold over a million copies in Japan

Final Fantasy XIII 1,904,313

Top Bottom