• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu sales (12/26/22 - 1/8/23)

Hardware:
Switch OLED – 142,789
PS5 – 75,296
Switch – 58,941
Switch Lite – 48,988
PS5 Digital Edition – 9,860
PS4 – 4,128
Xbox Series S – 1,539
New 2DS LL – 419
Xbox Series X – 200

Software:
1. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 291,322 / 4,630,253
2. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 107,700 / 3,795,514
3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 68,772 / 5,083,147
4. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 66,720 / 954,442
5. [NSW] Dragon Quest Treasures – 48,297 / 246,700
6. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 38,892 / 256,905
7. [NSW] Minecraft – 37,443 / 2,997,449
8. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 34,770 / 2,817,703
9. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 30,341 / 1,144,473
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 27,550 / 5,092,741

Source

I think it's safe to say Famitsu realized they were overestimating Xbox by A LOT when compared to Media Create.

PS5 just had some of its best weeks ever so far as well!

jm89

xbox x/s competing with ps4
891.jpg

sandbood

Banned
Switch is selling insanely well for a system that's entering its 7 years on the market.

My prediction for physical software sales in Japan 2023

Zelda TOTK - 2.5M
Final Fantasy 16 - 400K
Forspoken - 80K
Hogwarts Legacy - 250K
Fire Emblem engage - 450K
Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 1.3M
Splatoon 3 - 800K

Hardware
Switch - 3.6M
PS5 - 1.5M

Last edited:

reksveks

Xbox pretty shit in Japan recently, won't catch up to the Xbox OG any time soon.
PS5, maybe the pictures got expectations off but ~42k is good but not spectacular

Kerotan

Ps5 averaging 40k these last 2 weeks is good. Hopefully high supply is maintained. Xbox just proving it's not relevant in Japan.

I'm liking this new ps4 stock hopefully it can continue.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PS5 doing phenomenal numbers. It's no Switch, but still doing well. Japan is coming back. A diverse market is a better market.

SaintALia

PS5 doing phenomenal numbers. It's no Switch, but still doing well. Japan is coming back. A diverse market is a better market.
It's doing okay, don't know about 'phenomenal', especially since it basically has the lions share of third party support, competing against a platform that is pretty much on it's way out and a ghost.

I'm guessing no one is gonna do launch aligned PS3/PS4/PS5 numbers....

It's doing okay, don't know about 'phenomenal', especially since it basically has the lions share of third party support, competing against a platform that is pretty much on it's way out and a ghost.

Switch would never be doing these numbers without its portable component. PS5 can't do much better than it's doing tbh. Gaming landscape in Japan simply changed over the years.
And i wouldn't say Switch is on its way out...not with those numbers.

Woopah

DQ Treasures seems to be chugging along okay, but could have done way way more if it was a DQ Montser title as originally intended.

Switch is selling insanely well for a system that's entering its 7 years on the market.

My prediction for physical software sales in Japan 2023

Zelda TOTK - 2.5M
Final Fantasy 16 - 400K
Forspoken - 80K
Hogwarts Legacy - 250K
Fire Emblem engage - 450K
Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 1.3M
Splatoon 3 - 800K

Hardware
Switch - 3.6M
PS5 - 1.5M
Isn't that a bit high for Zelda to do in 8 months? I'm not expecting it to hit 2 million physical in its first year (with digital it probably will)

Also I think the time is getting close for Nintendo to give Switch a price cut. It would give it a bit of a boost in the final year or so before the successor.
Switch would never be doing these numbers without its portable component. PS5 can't do much better than it's doing tbh. Gaming landscape in Japan simply changed over the years.
PS5 could do better, but it would need a different software lineup. The PS5's current line-up on a portable wouldn't be do much better than what the pS5 is already doing.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

Nintendo won the war overthere. That's impossible to argue..

Last edited:

Mozza

This is why that Switch Pro rumor was total rubbish, the Switch can easily sell between 15-20 million hardware units a year, and their evergreen software benefits as well, good to see that the backlash against the latest Pokemon game has kicked in. ;)

Mozza

I think a lot of people just want better hardware
Define a lot of people, as from where I am standing it just looks like the core minorities want more power, my wife and daughter were playing Splatoon 3 over Christmas, they never suggested the games visuals were poor, or the desire for new upgraded Switch console.

I think this is more a case of the core wanting Nintendo to upgrade the Switch, rather than Nintendo actually needing to bring out a newer model. ;)

Define a lot of people, as from where I am standing it just looks like the core minorities want more power, my wife and daughter were playing Splatoon 3 over Christmas, they never suggested the games visuals were poor, or the desire for new upgraded Switch console.

I think this is more a case of the core wanting Nintendo to upgrade the Switch, rather than Nintendo actually needing to bring out a newer model. ;)

Ok, but the “core” doesn’t really care about what your wife and daughter enjoy, they want better gaming experiences like most people that post in these spaces.

Astral Dog

Ok, but the “core” doesn’t really care about what your wife and daughter enjoy, they want better gaming experiences like most people that post in these spaces.
They won't rush it

Nintendo are working on next generation hardware right now, one that will be a noticeable upgrade and should be revealed this year, its just a high risk for them every generation. As always the games are the real stars, and right now are focusing on the Switch lineup, no point in announcing it early when they still have millions to sell, and last Christmas the Switch is still a hot holiday gift 🎁

Nintendo isn't doing anything wrong, when they announce Switch 2 it will be the right time as they need to show an impressive lineup and appealing system desperate fans are a vocal minority

SaintALia

Well yeah, it's a portable, but being a portable doesn't mean you're going to magically sell like hotcakes, 'something something means life', 'look at me I'm 3D, no one's biting? price cut then?' etc, the PS5 still has major third party support, the Switch is still in it's what, 6th year of release now? And the Xbox is as always a non-issue. And it's not like the PS is fighting against a Nintendo console AND portable, as well as their own portable as well, it's only really 3 competitors.

"i wouldn't say Switch is on its way out...not with those numbers."
It definitely ain't going 2-3 more years that's for sure. I'm guessing a successor will be announced end of this year or early/mid next year.

I'm not saying it's doing shit, just not 'phenomenal' as the poster said. Times have changed, and I'm cutting Sony some slack, but not THAT much slack.

Mozza

Nintendo are not going to cater for such a small minority, and considering they pulled out of the power race after the Cube, it's delusional from such people to expect otherwise.

Astral Dog

Nintendo are not going to cater for such a small minority, and considering they pulled out of the power race after the Cube, it's delusional from such people to expect otherwise.
some 'core gamers' still don't get this

Nintendo wants to exploit all they can out of the current Switch, they aren't ready yet to tell the message"guys DON'T buy the Switch! it sucks! the Switch 2 is releasing in a year" to the fans, every dollar, every cent matters, since the Switch should have years of life even after the Switch 2 comes out.

They are more interested in selling good games and a cheap console than announcing a succesor that is going to get shit on by the other console warriors anyways. Right now its the smart approach, we should hear news about the next generation this year though 🤭

Mozza

some 'core gamers' still don't get this

Nintendo wants to exploit all they can out of the current Switch, they aren't ready yet to tell the message"guys DON'T buy the Switch! it sucks! the Switch 2 is releasing in a year" to the fans, every dollar, every cent matters, since the Switch should have years of life even after the Switch 2 comes out.

They are more interested in selling good games and a cheap console than announcing a succesor that is going to get shit on by the other console warriors anyways. Right now its the smart approach, we should hear news about the next generation this year though 🤭
Who knows, but I do think if the replacement for the Switch has some decent power, it will be more down to how long we had to wait for it, rather than by design.

Woopah

Who knows, but I do think if the replacement for the Switch has some decent power, it will be more down to how long we had to wait for it, rather than by design.
One big reason Nintnedo will want more power is to keep increasing third party suppprt. A more powerful system will make it easier for other publishers to bring their games to the Switch ecosystem. DLSS will help out a lot here.

Mozza

One big reason Nintnedo will want more power is to keep increasing third party suppprt. A more powerful system will make it easier for other publishers to bring their games to the Switch ecosystem. DLSS will help out a lot here.
Not so sure they need third party support though, these games struggle to sell a million copies on the Switch, but it would be very interesting to see what would happen if the big AAA games were release at the same time as on the PS5 and Series X.

Astral Dog

It will be decently powerful, just not at the level of the other systems. i think third party support will be fine (as long as a disaster doesn't happen)

Woopah

Not so sure they need third party support though, these games struggle to sell a million copies on the Switch, but it would be very interesting to see what would happen if the big AAA games were release at the same time as on the PS5 and Series X.
Thye don't need it, but third party makes up more than half of Switch's software sales and Nintendo gets a cut of each one. The bettter their third party support, the more money they make.
It will be decently powerful, just not at the level of the other systems. i think third party support will be fine (as long as a disaster doesn't happen)
It will be fine, but they'll want it to be mroe than fine. They want to get the big games they are currenlt missing.

Astral Dog

Nah, Nintendo clearly wants more third party support and are happy with their sales on Switch.they will never be a totally independent ecosystem since third parties bring in a lot of money

For example, how many ports are on Switch that have sold decently? nobodly complains, the revenue is very decent money.

Heck Monster Hunter Rise alone sold more than 6 million on Switch and sold a good bunch of systems, there are plenty third party that sold 1 million + another example are titles like Nier Automata, it sold 1.5 million and counting on Switch, and Resident Evil Revelations 1 million +so there's a market now
Third partiy companies are very important to Nintendo, but their hardware design and audience is not always a hit

Last edited:

Mozza

Thye don't need it, but third party makes up more than half of Switch's software sales and Nintendo gets a cut of each one. The bettter their third party support, the more money they make.

It will be fine, but they'll want it to be mroe than fine. They want to get the big games they are currenlt missing.
My point was Nintendo have their own software, so they are not dead in the water without third party games, I would suggest the indie support is another great help with this.

Mozza

Nah, Nintendo clearly wants more third party support and are happy with their sales on Switch.they will never be a totally independent ecosystem since third parties bring in a lot of money

For example, how many ports are on Switch that have sold decently? nobodly complains, the revenue is very decent money.

Heck Monster Hunter Rise alone sold more than 6 million on Switch and sold a good bunch of systems, there are plenty third party that sold 1 million +
Third partiy companies are very important to Nintendo, but their hardware design and audience is not always a hit
They would get games like Monster hunter anyway, so not the best example, but I do agree more choice is always better.

Woopah

My point was Nintendo have their own software, so they are not dead in the water without third party games, I would suggest the indie support is another great help with this.
Oh sure. They'll be fine without third party support, but if more power will get them more third party support and more money then they're going to do that.

sandbood

Banned
Isn't that a bit high for Zelda to do in 8 months? I'm not expecting it to hit 2 million physical in its first year (with digital it probably will)

Also I think the time is getting close for Nintendo to give Switch a price cut. It would give it a bit of a boost in the final year or so before the successor.
With a massive Nintendo Switch userbase in Japan, I believe Zelda TOTK could potentially replicate the same feat as Pokémon Scarlet and Violet by outselling the previous entry in just a few months on the market. It's certainly not going to have the same long legs as BOTW, but huge launch numbers are going to offset that.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
what happen to xbox series? either nobody is buying them or Microsoft has serious issue on the supply.

Woopah

With a massive Nintendo Switch userbase in Japan, I believe Zelda TOTK could potentially replicate the same feat as Pokémon Scarlet and Violet by outselling the previous entry in just a few months on the market. It's certainly not going to have the same long legs as BOTW, but huge launch numbers are going to offset that.
Maybe you're right and I'm underestimating it. We'll have to see what the launch looks like!

Gambit2483

This is why that Switch Pro rumor was total rubbish, the Switch can easily sell between 15-20 million hardware units a year, and their evergreen software benefits as well, good to see that the backlash against the latest Pokemon game has kicked in. ;)
Sales in January =/= sales in July

Also, it really does need new hardware. I have no idea how they plan to get Hogwarts Legacy running on 10 year old tech...

Fredrik

what happen to xbox series? either nobody is buying them or Microsoft has serious issue on the supply.
Easy answer would be supply issues but looking deeper what would actually drive the sales? No big game released in or out of Gamepass for quite some time now for the japanese market or even the west. I hope they have something big to show on the Jan 25th show.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Long legs can be achieved by releasing Switch 2 and a Totk Switch 2 port.

Gambit2483

Long legs can be achieved by releasing Switch 2 and a Totk Switch 2 port.
That would be a slap in the face to everyone that bought the game in May and already put 80hrs+ in.

Seriously, until Nintendo comes out and FORMALLY reveals TotK as a Switch exclusive I still can't see them passing up on using their premier system selling IP as a launch title.

That's like MS deciding to launch Halo Infinite on Xbox One X exclusively and then launching the Series X 10-12 months later

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
That would be a slap in the face to everyone that bought the game in May and already put 80hrs+ in.

Seriously, until Nintendo comes out and FORMALLY reveals TotK as a Switch exclusive I still can't see them passing up on using their premier system selling IP as a launch title.

That's like MS deciding to launch Halo Infinite on Xbox One X exclusively and then launching the Series X 10-12 months later
I see what you're saying. But companies know people will still cough up the money.

Mozza

Sales in January =/= sales in July

Also, it really does need new hardware. I have no idea how they plan to get Hogwarts Legacy running on 10 year old tech...
It does not, these third party triple AAA games are not pushing Switch sales, the console will continue to sell well with or without these titles. I think you are confusing what you want Nintendo to do, with what they actually need to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom