• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales [2/20-2/26] Ps5 #1 Hardware and Kirby's Dream Land Wii Deluxe takes top spot on the software charts

Kerotan

CELEBRATION TIME COME ON WERE GONNA HAVE A PARTY!

PS5 Slaying in Japan. Year of the rabbit? Sony already ate that rabbit it's year of the PS5 homies.

Brucey

Vnnkmeb.jpg
Trying to figure out if last week's surge in Xbox X was related to buying before the price increase on series X or the Harry Potter game.

Brucey

You are misreading.

The growth rate is shrinking. You're taking a chart about overall sales trends.

Example, if growth is 90% and then drops to 40%, that's still 40% growth over the predecessor, but that's a 50% reduction and that questions stability in the long.

I said it was shrinking and slowing down fast, not that the PS5 was falling behind the PS4 as you interpreted.

No, but you read what I said incorrectly.
Actually that's exactly what you said:

5NnWhdk.jpg

Now to get back to your mental gymnastics, you seem to be saying that because the PS5 is not continuing to grow sales from say 60k a week to it's high 80,000-low 90,000 over the last 4, that it won't reach the PS4. Are you talking about end of generation sales? Because it's already exceeded the PS3 and PS4 when launch aligned.

bAQz8Qb.jpg

Brucey

You're conveniently ignoring that PS5 had severe supply constraints throughout most of 2022 in Japan.

Which would have both affected its growth and caused the very thing you're describing. Now that supply is stabilizing, we're seeing it track ahead of PS4 and it looks like it will be trending ahead of PS4 week-over-week for the foreseeable future.

You have a very weird and flawed read of that chart.
I think it must be a parody account. In this other thread he was claiming that most Xbox one sales were international... (Outside US).

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ampe...re-availability.1653604/page-3#post-267680614

Tams

PS5's resseruction in japan is fascinating. I guess it really was stock related, because there's nothing released that should cause this much of a bump.
You could have just asked any of us Gaffers who live in Japan.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because Nintendo release quarterly hardware numbers per region we know that Spain makes up about 8% of total European sales for Switch, it's probably similar for Playstation and Xbox.

Thanks. So if PSVR2 sold 8,000 in week one in Spain...... it's reasonable to assume it could have sold close to 100,000 throughout ALL Europe in the first week.

Kerotan

To be fair the Switch is taking a back seat because it's past its peak. When Switch 2 releases it'll be a different and very interesting story.
Of course but many didn't expect it to ever have to take a back seat. These ps5 sales catching many off guard.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Of course but many didn't expect it to ever have to take a back seat. These ps5 sales catching many off guard.
Are you talking just console sales? Because game sales are still whooping ps5 in Japan. Console sales could just be supply constraints / market saturation as they have sold crazy numbers.

Just a month ago they said :

“Nintendo Reportedly Expects 10% Drop in Switch Sales Due to Supply Constraints”

Even then I think the Switch sales (61K) are very impressive. They are probably going to overtake PS5 again during Zelda 2 launch and for some time. Seems PS5 stock by week is about 80-90k but Switch should easily sell >100k with Zelda 2.
]will be intersting to see if TOTK can bring it that many new customers this late in the generation.

I would assume most people that loved BOTW probably have a switch already

Even then I think the Switch sales (61K) are very impressive. They are probably going to overtake PS5 again during Zelda 2 launch and for some time. Seems PS5 stock by week is about 80-90k but Switch should easily sell >100k with Zelda 2.
PS5 will also overtake those 100k weekly around FFXVI release. Specially if they release bundles.
This year will be interesting for the hardware charts in Japan for sure.

Who would've thought about that a year ago?

MrA

Banned
]will be intersting to see if TOTK can bring it that many new customers this late in the generation.

I would assume most people that loved BOTW probably have a switch already
Same was said of splatoon 3 and pokemon

Plus this is assuming 90k is going to be a long term baseline, granted 4 weeks is a pretty long run, ps5 could still be burning through excess demand from the weak availablity from the first 2 years ,
With no digital sales data, we can't really guage anymore via the physical software sold whether a game is successful or not.
We very much can, new games in the west usually launch 50/50 physical /digital. Bad physical most likely bad digital
Japan is more skewed toward physical

Elios83

I never understand why Nintendo is keep saying that. The systems doesn’t has any significant supply constraints anywhere.
It definetly sounds better than " sumimasen dear investors, our system is now in an inevitabile end of life declining phase and we won't have a new product until 2024" :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kerotan

PS5 will also overtake those 100k weekly around FFXVI release. Specially if they release bundles.
This year will be interesting for the hardware charts in Japan for sure.

Who would've thought about that a year ago?
I hope Sony have a shit tobln of ps5 for Japan for ff16 launch. Something crazy like 250k. Could you imagine.

Actually that's exactly what you said:

5NnWhdk.jpg

Now to get back to your mental gymnastics, you seem to be saying that because the PS5 is not continuing to grow sales from say 60k a week to it's high 80,000-low 90,000 over the last 4, that it won't reach the PS4. Are you talking about end of generation sales? Because it's already exceeded the PS3 and PS4 when launch aligned.

bAQz8Qb.jpg

"Slowing down"

Maybe because you don't know what you're talking about or no anything about marketing terms you can't grasp what you read.

So post an unrelated chart because you're hoping to trick ignorant people that you are addressing something but you're not, because you are also ignorant

You're conveniently ignoring that PS5 had severe supply constraints throughout most of 2022 in Japan.

Which would have both affected its growth and caused the very thing you're describing. Now that supply is stabilizing, we're seeing it track ahead of PS4 and it looks like it will be trending ahead of PS4 week-over-week for the foreseeable future.

You have a very weird and flawed read of that chart.

No, you didn't read what I said and changed it.

You're still talking about units when I was talking about growth rate. You completely ignored the example I gave you.

Brucey

"Slowing down"

Maybe because you don't know what you're talking about or no anything about marketing terms you can't grasp what you read.

So post an unrelated chart because you're hoping to trick ignorant people that you are addressing something but you're not, because you are also ignorant
That's sales of PS5 in Japan for 2023. Weekly numbers. Can you explain what you meant below, but without any insults or total meltdowns? Also note there's two sentences if you could explain the reasoning behind both? Thanks

"Yeah but it's slowing down faster than anticipated. Likelihood of PS5 reaching PS4 in the end is shrinking fast."

That's sales of PS5 in Japan for 2023. Weekly numbers. Can you explain what you meant below, but without any insults or total meltdowns? Also note there's two sentences if you could explain the reasoning behind both? Thanks

"Yeah but it's slowing down faster than anticipated. Likelihood of PS5 reaching PS4 in the end is shrinking fast."

It's pretty clear what I meant below, I even elaborated in a post made after.

You can claim facts are insults but it doesn't change anything the meltdown is you purposefully skipping what's been said. Not just here.

You are misreading.

The growth rate is shrinking. You're taking a chart about overall sales trends.

Example, if growth is 90% and then drops to 40%, that's still 40% growth over the predecessor, but that's a 50% reduction and that questions stability in the long.

I said it was shrinking and slowing down fast, not that the PS5 was falling behind the PS4 as you interpreted.

Brucey

PS5 selling 90k a week in Japan and overtakes PS4 "the growth rate is shrinking!". It increased.
I think what he's saying is that because Sony seems to "only" be shipping and selling ~90k units per week, that it should be selling maybe 120k unitsnext week then 150k the week after etc because it previously bumped up from 40k to 60k to 80 to 90k etc. Makes zero sense but I guess he must be correct and PS5 is doomed and will never "reach the PS4"...

Last edited:

Brucey

It's pretty clear what I meant below, I even elaborated in a post made after.

You can claim facts are insults but it doesn't change anything the meltdown is you purposefully skipping what's been said. Not just here."
"Ignorant" is stating a fact?
Yeah but it's slowing down faster than anticipated. Likelihood of PS5 reaching PS4 in the end is shrinking fast."

"Slowing down faster than anticipated" by whom?

What number of PS4 are you talking about when you say "Likelihood of PS5 reaching PS4 in the end is shrinking fast."

I think what he's saying is that because Sony seems to "only" be shipping and selling ~90k units per week, that it should be selling maybe 120k unitsnext week then 150k the week after etc because it previously bumped up from 40k to 60k to 80 to 90k etc. Makes zero sense but I guess he must be correct and PS5 is doomed and will never "reach the PS4"...
I think you are correct but his idea is flowed because he forget that now PS5 has better availability it does not mean it's has unlimited availability and just the people buy 90k out of that availability but they have 90k and sell 90k so the real growth or decline can't be measured.

But he has made his mind and don't want to change it.

zedinen

I wouldn't be surprised to see PS5 selling 20M in FY22

Famitsu: 2023 PS5 vs 2002 PS2

Week 6

PS5 93,026
PS2 80,254

Week 7
PS5 93,574
PS2 68,660

Week 8
PS5 88,653
PS2 68,417

Week 9
PS5 91,729
PS2 60,241

Anyway, PS5 is on track to beat PS2 record in (Jan - Mar)

6.08 million

Speaking of PS2, on March 4, 2000, the PlayStation 2 went on sale in Japan, turns 23 year old today.

Famitsu 2000: PS2 Hardware
Launch 630,552
Week 2 154,245
Week 3 71,780
Week 4 112,620
Week 5 165,685
Week 6 119,430

Tot 1,254,312

YukiOnna

More seriously isn't FF16 having low pre-orders compared to FF15?
Lot of factors in this.
- Marketing Campaign hasn't begun (commercials, demo, more trailers, etc.)
- PS5 availability was questionable until now
- FF Mainline on downtrend due to 13 & 15
- It's just COMG AFAIK

That said, VII Remake went onto sell a reliable 1M domestically so it probably won't be too far off.

Top Bottom