• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Wii U region-lock confirmed

it has to be a minority that buys import games i've only ever known people on the internet who do it or people who are fans of anime weirdly...I am just used to it even back in the day with nintendo when the dragonball games were out this is nothing really shocking.

Oersted

Region-lock is not my main problem, please read my post again if I sound illogical. It obviously is a pile of horseshit no matter how you look at it because it forces higher-priced software down our throat (in Europe). My main problem (even bigger than region-lock!) is that we don't know how much we will pay for what. NFC and online systems haven't been discussed, pricing of items purchased and services online have not been discussed and, to me, this is a lack of information of such importance that it should stop you from impulse buying the Wii U.

so you are not buying a console that is not yet released because they didnt release every pricing info yet?

dontknowifheisserious.jpg

Meesh

So just because you didn't personally experience the need to import doesnt make this issue not a very core one to a lot of European player's hearts, and after all the Xenoblade kerfuffle and more, now American players have begun to learn too.
amen, brother, amen.

Durante

Everyone should just buy PC games. For the greater good.

And people talking about PS3 not being region locked.. you clearly don´t remember that this gen has been very Digital Download heavy.. and the stores are Region locked.
It's easy to buy from any store. I've got DD games from all regions on my PS3.

Most likely.

Anyway. Thinking of retarded decisions.
Why are PS3 games region free on the system, but then when you put in a PSone game you get a nice lockout screen telling you that this game isn't from the correct region. Same goes for PS2 games I suppose, but I never had a PS3 that could play those.

Such a weird and utterly dumb decision.
Because Sony can not retroactively change the conditions they presented to publishers when they sold PS1/2 games.

Majine

Banned
And this is why I am basically done with Nintendo since awhile ago. This just confirmed that things aren't changing. Ninty can be pure poison when it comes to business practices.

pants

I live in the EU zone and need to be able to import from the US and JPN. I hope Nintendo has a change of heart or hackers do their thing. Already planning on getting a WiiU but will probably wait it out till this matter has a solution one way or another.

it has to be a minority that buys import games i've only ever known people on the internet who do it or people who are fans of anime weirdly...I am just used to it even back in the day with nintendo when the dragonball games were out this is nothing really shocking.

I've imported on the DS for the novelty of it Electroplankton and JUMP All Stars something for the DS just a silly waste of money at the time so I think I would be tempted by quirky Japanese games if Nintendo did not return to locking the hardware again.

Oh I forgot since GBA was region-free I also imported a special edition Pokemon GBA from to poke center

damn if I look at it Nintendo is saving me a lot of money by locking this thing?

and for those talking Hardcore fans import software. True hardcore own multi region-locked hardware lol put your money where your mouth is :3 people owning JP/US versions of the same Nintendo hardware is not a new trend fans have been doing this for years thats why we had sites like play-asia

Coxy

I've imported on the DS for the novelty of it Electroplankton and JUMP All Stars something for the DS just a silly waste of money at the time so I think I would be tempted by quirky Japanese games if Nintendo did not return to locking the hardware again.

Oh I forgot since GBA was region-free I also imported a special edition Pokemon GBA from to poke center

damn if I look at it Nintendo is saving me a lot of money by locking this thing?

and for those talking Hardcore fans import software. True hardcore own multi region-locked hardware lol put your money where your mouth is :3 people owning JP/US versions of the same Nintendo hardware is not a new trend fans have been doing this for years thats why we had sites like play-asia

Man I hope nintendo releases no games at all, think of all the money I'll save to buy more nintendo consoles like a true hardcore gamer

angelfly

This puts me in the same situation as I was with the 3DS. The end result will be only owning a Japanese WiiU (but not at launch) and buying less games since I have to import them all.

fans of anime weirdly?

Joni

And people talking about PS3 not being region locked.. you clearly don´t remember that this gen has been very Digital Download heavy.. and the stores are Region locked. Counterstrike:Go no EU, Trine 2 months delay.. Dyad EU, nope. And the list goes on... I might be able to pick up a Physical version of a game in another part of the world, and play it on my PS3.. But when it comes to Digital Download Only games, I´m pretty much fucked, unless I want to get PSN cards, risc not having DLC work and more.. it´s just not worth it..
I have downloaded a lot of stuff out of the US store. It all worked. For DLC it is also easy, you buy from the region you bought the game. There is no risk.

rip them a new one. they deserve it.

nintendo already showed us their hitler side with the 3DS, so this was to be expected. very sad for gamers with broad taste.

Conan-san

Fair enough, Nintendo, but all the tablets in the world can't save you if I can't play my potential Atlus games on my console because you're a bunch of greedy xenophobes

I'm really thinning the heard this time around so unless Sony do something massively stupid for PS4 (and, let's face it, it's probably likely) the Son of Y will probably have my full attention this generation.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's a shame, but sadly I basically figured this would be the case after the 3DS.

Here's hoping a hack happens.

plufim

nintendo already showed us their hitler side with the 3DS, so this was to be expected. very sad for gamers with broad taste.

........hitler?

Really?

Yeah, no, nice try, Ninty but all the tablets in the world can't save you if I can't play my potential Atlus games on my console because you're a bunch of greedy, xenophobic REDACTED.

I'm really thinning the heard this time around so unless Sony do something massively stupid for PS4 (and, let's face it, it's probably likely) the Son of Y will probably have my full attention this generation.

Yeah, no Atlus games are EVER region locked on a sony console!!!!! Except the most recent one!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_4_Arena

The faked outrage in here is hilarious. It sucks, BUT everyone saw it coming, and to act like this was a horrible act of betrayal is ludicrous. It's Nintendo, region locking is their thing.

...and "xenophic"? Really?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, no, nice try, Ninty but all the tablets in the world can't save you if I can't play my potential Atlus games on my console because you're a bunch of greedy, xenophobic [BLEEP]

Caution: That word you used there in the first paragraph will probably get you banned.

Javier

Country?

"Sorry your Wii console was purchased from Gamestop in Southern California and is not compatible with games from outside that store"
There is a form of country lock on the Nintendo systems. If you set your American 3DS to any country that isn't USA, Canada, Mexico, or Brazil, you won't be able to access the eShop. As a Chilean Gaffer I can easily circumvent this by setting my 3DS to USA, but it sucks I can't use my actual country when going online.

Nintendo Video is IP-locked, though, which means Nintendo TVii will be as well. I don't expect the WiiU eShop to be, but if it is... damn, that's going to suck.

Rich!

Yeah, no, nice try, Ninty but all the tablets in the world can't save you if I can't play my potential Atlus games on my console because you're a bunch of greedy, xenophobic NO MAN NOOO

Better delete that word quick, boy. Cause of many bans.

I wasn't planning to buy one anyhow, and this is just one more reason not to I guess. I'm pretty tired of globalization being a one-way street for the benefit of fat-cat corporations like Nintendo, Apple, and co.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Have the 3DS been cracked to play imported games?

No, and it won't be for some time. Nintendo implemented absurdly strong security in the DSi and 3DS, don't hold out for any kind of region lock solution.

Ban Puncher

There were people who actually expected the Wii U to be region free?

Because I have super exclusive and totally legit land packages available on the Moon you may be interested in, friend. Get in quick - PRICES ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Oersted

Yeah, no, nice try, Ninty but all the tablets in the world can't save you if I can't play my potential Atlus games on my console because you're a bunch of BEEP.

neogaf meltdowns. always delivering. wonder what will happen if ps4 won´t support regionfree(ps/ps2 and bluray on ps3 already doing this) and wont run used games and ps/2/3 games.

Paracelsus

neogaf meltdowns. always delivering. wonder what will happen if ps4 won´t support regionfree(ps/ps2 and bluray on ps3 already doing this) and wont run used games and ps/2/3 games.

Irrelevant. PS3 did more for region free in one gen than Nintendo did in 28 years, not mentioning you can unlock PS1 and PS2 because there were no online updates cockblocking your freeloaders.

Hoo-doo

Banned

How is it so difficult to understand why people get upset by region locking?
You're only making yourself look ridiculous from on top of that high horse of yours.

Sony can be commended for giving us complete region freedom since forever, but Nintendo can't be criticized for locking their systems down? Get out of here.

Top Bottom