• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu's new MGSV Ground Zeroes interview with Kojima clears up some details

doemaaan

- The reason Ground Zeroes is being released as a separate package in the first place is because the main game is taking a long time to develop due to the large amount of content. So the marketing team at Konami worked out this release format with Kojima so gamers can at least experience the prologue segment of the game earlier.
In short, "we want more money".

Poor Konami - They don't have a cash cow yearly franchise like western publishers, Which is why they have to rely on a glorified demo to make them money.

Having no retail for this sounds like a really bad idea
no retail?

RQHphg2.jpg

Raynes

- Phantom Pain is the game which will feature the full range of expanded features carried over from Peace Walker - base building, recruiting soldiers, etc. Most of this will not be in Ground Zeroes at all. You will not be able to use the fulton recovery system in Ground Zeroes either, but there are optional captives you can rescue using the helicopter.

Ugh for fuck sake, keep that shit out.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Hopefully it'll be structured like a side quest. I don't want the storyline to come to halt because I need to do some random ops shit (that's why I didn't like Peace Walker). Give me that classic MGS story progression.

I certainly wouldn't mind messing about with the ops stuff (adds replay value) but I sure as hell don't want it to ruin the pacing.

AHA-Lambda

Hopefully it'll be structured like a side quest. I don't want the storyline to come to halt because I need to do some random ops shit (that's why I didn't like Peace Walker). Give me that classic MGS story progression.

I certainly wouldn't mind messing about with the ops stuff (adds replay value) but I sure as hell don't want it to ruin the pacing.

Yep, same reason I never saw the true ending to Peace Walker.

kick51

Banned

yep, hopefully not the main focus. Would be a shame if Ground Zeroes felt like a really great, straight forward next gen MGS, while Phantom Pain ends up a bloated sack like Peace Walker.

RPGCrazied

I guess it depends on how many missions there are. How long the game is and what not. If its really short, I'll probably wait a little for a price drop. But will play it before MGS V, cause if you don't you'll be lost story wise.

kick51

Banned
I ain't paying 30 bucks for this.

Doesn't seem to me like he said how much content is actually in it, just a few things about what's not in it. I doubt it's gonna be Case Zero size.

I don't think he meant it would be as short as a movie opening title sequence. If you calculate it in Kojima time...take a 5 minute opening sequence, now add 10 hours. so, it'll have 10 hours of play time, probably only 5 of which will be cutscenes.

BadWolf

If this is included with PP then I'll pass.

Won't pay for the same thing twice and I want to play GZ and PP back to back without a large break in between.

Nothing about Ground Zeroes has revealed VR missions.

They said there will be side missions in addition to the main story.

injurai

Banned
- Kojima wants to reward fans who buy both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain later on with some sort of content in the full game, but he hasn't worked out the details with the marketing team yet.

So does this mean GZ will be included in PP?

kick51

Banned
Nothing about Ground Zeroes has revealed VR missions.

Those would certainly make the $30 price go down easy, even if it was just one tanker-sized area with a tiny campaign but a ton of missions and modes and difficulties to make use of the area.

but you know what would REALLY make it go down easy?

Snakeboarding 2

Asd202

IMO it will be but they won't say it untill close to release of PP. They won't do it before because they want to sell GZ. If they don't include GZ in PP I'll just youtube the story portion lol.

It's vapid, I know, but the fact that Snake is no longer Hayter and sounds just like a bored Kiefer Sutherland has kind of killed my interest in this. Hayter isn't the greatest actor in the world, but he at least cared for the role and the character. Sutherland sounds like he's just phoning it in and probably can't wait to get the hell out of there, so he can get back on television.

synce

Haha, it took me 3 tries across a couple years to finish that mess of a game and I never even realized there was some bullshit true ending nonsense.

Now I'm not so sure I even want to buy MGS5. MGO3 better be good, although I doubt it since they handed development off to an American crew

Maybe I missed it, but nowhere in the article does he say that GZ is a tutorial.
He does say it's a prologue tho. There are a lot of interesting info in that interview.

Blader

So where's that guy Batzi who was shitting on people left and right for suggesting that Ground Zeroes was only going to be a tutorial and not a full game?

injurai said:

The Konami rep here said they'd be two separate games. Considering the hospital section we saw at the VGAs last year (or whenever it was) was a tutorial on its own, it probably wouldn't make sense to include GZ as part of the actual game, though I could see it getting tossed in as a preorder bonus.

Hindle

Banned
This entire game has been fucked up from day one. They should never have done the whole Phantom Pain, Ground Zeros bullshit. It's led to a convoluted PR mess that's actually confused quite a lot of people and personally damaged my hype for the game. I just feel Kojimas ego has got the better of him here.

RealMeat

Banned
Withholding judgement until we find out the length, but $30 for the tutorial sounds pretty terrible. Putting bonuses in the main game for people who bought it just makes it worse.

Otheradam

I can't see this being more than 3 hours long. 4 if we're lucky. Just don't see how this is worth buying for $30 bucks. I also don't see Phantom Pain being being anything less than a full retail priced game when it launches, which means this will be $90 to get the whole game. Or they release PP with GZ when PP releases. Either way, I don't see how this won't upset a lot of people.

fYmNWN9.gif

I love that shit, glad they're keeping it. I still wish Peace Walker was more like Valkyria Chronicles though.

Agreed. Once I got the hang of it, that aspect was incredibly fun.

So where's that guy Batzi who was shitting on people left and right for suggesting that Ground Zeroes was only going to be a tutorial and not a full game?

Probably shitting on Kojima on twitter, telling him Ground Zeroes is a full game, not a tutorial.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
So they're really splitting MGS5 in two to be able to to sell the whole game for $90...

That's too generous, Konami. You really love your fans...

Prine

Banned
I think he can do some crazy things with Kinect and its heart monitoring/expression system. Also Smartglass, with certain characters phoning you. FAK

fallingdove

I just really hope that if I buy the digital version of GZ that when I buy PP, that it will consolidate the game into one.

I was just about to post, "I think I'm in the minority here, but I hate this stuff," haha - glad to see I'm not the only one.

I hated Peacewalker because of this stuff. When I think of a MGS game, I don't think about these mechanics. Hopefully you're right about it being optional/secondary. I just want to be a lone wolf and go through the story.

ezekial45

Banned
- Phantom Pain is the game which will feature the full range of expanded features carried over from Peace Walker - base building, recruiting soldiers, etc. Most of this will not be in Ground Zeroes at all. You will not be able to use the fulton recovery system in Ground Zeroes either, but there are optional captives you can rescue using the helicopter.

YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!

I'm glad they brought these back. These were really neat in PW. I hope they take things even further for PP.

Top Bottom