• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Uh...he hyped it to be bigger than 720p. Lol

It will be for a lot of the "average consumer" who doesn't really know the difference between 720p or 1080p. If online, voice chat, friends lists and invites are buggy at launch, there's going to be hell to pay from the general public. This is the system that popularized that shit on consoles. People who played multiplayer on the 360 throughout this generation are going to be expecting an even better online system, not something worse.

If I were inclined to buy an Xbox One, which I'm not, the lack of functional online features that I didn't use on 360 wouldn't be a big deal to me. As long as single player games function, the rest of the system could rot for all I care.

But since I'm not interested in Xbox One, I'll happily pretend that this is a personal deal breaker. For a nominal fee.

lol

JaggedSac

It is sounding more and more that the XB1 hardware was not even designed as a gaming console first. Gaming is just another app that it does.

You don't need to play games to understand a requirements document and design a system accordingly. The concept of a party system is simple and easy to understand.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah I'm not buying into this being an issue. We're a month out from launch.

If you want to deny it that's fine but it's very real and have had it confirmed from probably a different person than mortimer. It's not candy land over at camp Xbox. Things needed fixing.

Jhriad

Months? Really? Jeez. I'm at least a little surprised that Microsoft couldn't get the OS right given how long they've had and what their typical forte is. Hopefully this is fixed by launch, or not long after, so as to have as little effect on Xbone folks as possible.

Wurdfurd

MS NEEDS THIS MAN.
j_allard_ahhh.jpg

Orca

The entire infrastructure of XBL that made Xbox and Xbox 360 a great online experience...gone. All gone. The fact that they've coded the party chat like that...oh man. What were they THINKING.

Anyone who thinks this will all be fixed in a day one patch...well, have fun.

No hyperbole here.

I-hate-u

Has there ever been a more entertaining week like this one on gaf? Is this the ass storm Bish wanted to hide in a bunker from?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I feel like people aren't reading the op. It said MONTHS before it would be fixed. Meaning broken online play for months after the console would launch. How is this not bigger than 720p?

Online play isn't broken, parties are. A lot of people seem to be missing this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm confused about the party thing, does that mean friends in different games can't talk to each other?

It means instead of having the console handle the party chat across every OS feature, the Xbox One requires devs to support it within their games. Think custom soundtracks on PS3.

McHuj

Love the it may or it may not be fixed in time part of the rumor. We got everything covered no matter what happens on launch day. No issues, they fixed it. Some issues, they only fixed part of it. Big issues, they didn't fix anything in time.

Metfanant

Wow...what's with the hate towards Mort right now?...that's the type of crap that makes people stop posting their inside info...

He is admittedly putting his rep on the line with this stuff...

Not for nothing but Mort probably has the best track record recently for leaks...I don't think he is jealous of CBOAT at all...

Back on topic...this is so bizarro...who can MS have flubbed this entire launch so bad?...I think anyone who doesn't believe MS was just simply not prepared to launch this console in 2013 is delusional at this point...

Already see many people brushing this off. The thing is, XBL was a shoe-in to be better than PSN for next-gen. Now, that future isn't set in stone. Sony could easily steal the online network crown if they don't drop the ball. It is Xbox's #1 selling point. How could possible issues with it be downplayed?

it was?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You seem desperate for a hug. Need one?

You realize derrick has been one of the harshest against X1, right?

All that blog was.... was a guy complaining about APIs, noting game transition isn't 100% seamless and stating there is problems but not going into any detail except saying they are having difficulty. Um. Ok?

All while saying it may or not be fixed by launch.

I was preparing myself for negative news and was likely going to slink away from the PC but this is just outright non news

shem935

Banned
Meh... not a huge issue for me. I was concerned they were talking about hardware issues. I'll keep my preorder. I can totally see it being an issue for a lot of other people though. TBH all I'm going to be doing on my Xbox One is Ryse and Crimson Dragon. As long as I'm able to do both of those things I'll be happy. I'm have zero intention of paying for XBLG anyway. The PS4/PS+ combo will probably fill 90% of my gaming need. The Xbox One will be for exclusives only.

Its not a huge issue to you that you will have connectivity issues in multiplayer games for months after launch?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't get around how they have fucked it up THIS much. The whole thing. I know we've sought of seen this direction coming ever since we heard the word "Natal" but jesus flipping christ... this is a mess.

And what's worst, is that they would have been heading for an ever more catastropic disaster had we not put our foot down on the DRM shit (or maybe the backtrack caused some of this... I don't know).

One things for sure, I wasn't picking up an Xbone up on launch and I sure as fuck wouldn't now. Heck, I'm even glad I'm not getting a PS4 at the US launch date so they have a bit of headroom to fix whatever inevitable launch issues they have.

Console launches ladies and gentlemen :)

If the rumors are true that Microsoft was planning to launch in mid-2014 and Sony's February PS4 reveal totally caught them off guard, then I can totally believe they fucked it up this much. I almost have to respect them for being able to react so quickly--although the wiser option probably would have been just releasing later.

Fair enough, but the question I addressed was "what's worse for you?"

It depends on whether or not 720p is a result of Activision having issues with the hardware while trying to rush out a launch game....granted that could mean the hardware is not as powerful as PS4, but in that case it could also be a "temporary issue".

Mort is vague at how big the potential impacts are, but let's not forget the the console is launching with Battlefield and Call of Duty.

If online is such a mess that it can significantly impact the multiplayer experience, I'm seeing a lot of refunds or PS4 trade-ins happening from the CoD audience.

They're also promoting the console on the multiexperience value. If stuff breaks the moment you get out of the game, the value proposition is dead.

Riki

So in summary:

There are bugs in the OS. It might or might not be fixed at launch. No one but the guys working on the OS know..

...that's it.
Microsoft has been months behind since the day they announced this system.
I wouldn't hold your breath on these issues being fixed by launch. Or by 2014.

ethomaz

Banned
It will be funny when CoD players started to drop connection every time... I see some controllers reaching HDTVs easily.

vpance

Love the it may or it may not be fixed in time part of the rumor. We got everything covered no matter what happens on launch day. No issues, they fixed it. Some issues, they only fixed part of it. Big issues, they didn't fix anything in time.

So preorder cancelled or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom