• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Strike | Early Access |OT| - Distilled Street Fighter

JP_

Banned
degrey_yc.jpg

Links:

What is it?

rook_ground_super2.jpg

Fantasy Strike is a new fighting game (PC/Mac) designed by Sirlin that sets out to reduce barriers of entry while maintaining as much of the mind games and strategy as possible. Execution is much simpler and the movesets are distilled down to the point where each and every move has a distinct purpose.

As you can see, the controls are simple. Move lists fit on a single screen but offer enough options to where it feels like a full character in other fighting games.

BdVY2al.png

vkMv1Xp.png

dragon_v_valerie.jpg

Health bars are different than in other fighting games. They work in chunks, which means each hit and combo generally takes a larger percent of your health -- rounds are quicker and the match winner is the first to 4 rounds.

geiger_v_degrey.jpg

What does all that mean? Instead of taking weeks learning the moves and training the muscle memory for a single character, you can pick up new characters in like an hour tops, but it still feels like you're playing a fighting game because a lot of the same spacing and mind game tricks are still there.

This makes Fantasy Strike a great fit for those that have always wanted to get into fighting games but already have a full time job AND those that play other fighting games but want an alternate game they can jump into with just about anybody. The skills are definitely transferable back and forth between Fantasy Strike and other fighting games.

Character Spotlight Videos (explains basic game plan for each character):

Other Videos:

Bumping because I don't understand why there's no hype for this game.
It looks nice, the controls and gameplay are easy to get into, online is already working great with fast transitions and excellent netcode.
Right now there are "only" 8 characters, but they cover a wide spectrum of play styles and two more are on the way and will be part of the base game. (For comparsion, Skullgirls, another indie fighting game, also released with only 8 characters!)

I guess for true fighting game players it looks too "shallow", and for newcomers and people who haven't played fighting games in a while it's still too daunting?

Sounds and looks cool. I was always disappointed that Rising Thunder disappeared and this seems to pick up for it. Wonder if the name is doing them no favors though. "Fantasy Strike" sounds like some mobile F2P thing. Even knowing what it is I still have to sort of 2nd guess for a split second when I see it before remebering "oh it's that fighting game".

It looks nice, the controls and gameplay are easy to get into, online is already working great with fast transitions and excellent netcode.
Right now there are "only" 8 characters, but they cover a wide spectrum of play styles and two more are on the way and will be part of the base game. (For comparsion, Skullgirls, another indie fighting game, also released with only 8 characters!)

I guess for true fighting game players it looks too "shallow", and for newcomers and people who haven't played fighting games in a while it's still too daunting?

Honestly, it didn't grab me. Like it's not that much fun. But I suppose I'm not really the target audience (yeah I get that pros can play it, but it's not something I felt invested in after playing the beta)

TVexperto

Whats a good fighting stick for PC? I never played fighting games but wanna start with this game cause it looks good

Ferrio

Banned
Honestly, it didn't grab me. Like it's not that much fun. But I suppose I'm not really the target audience (yeah I get that pros can play it, but it's not something I felt invested in after playing the beta)

Same, the game just isn't fun to me. The simplicity went to far, so there's not there that makes me wanna come back and improve. The controls also feel really weird, like the weight of the characters don't feel right. On top of that I don't find the game's aesthetics, characters and originality good at all.

It really makes me wonder who this game is really for, cause I don't expect 0 day fighting game casuals to be lining up to play it. Out of all the attempts to simplify fighting games, this one is by far the worst.

BiggNife

I played this at PAX and thought it was pretty fun but without a community behind it, I can't see myself buying it

Also the FGC has a huge stigma against Chris Sirlin, partially because he has a reputation of being a huge asshole and also because a lot of people hated the way he balanced SF2 HD Remix. I've also heard people say he's done some really unsavory stuff but I personally can't verify that. I can't help but think that Sirlin's reputation is actively hurting this game that FGC people would totally play otherwise.

nick_b

Damn this name sucks. Clicked this thread expecting a mobile fighting game despite reading about the game a week ago.

JP_

Banned

I think it's tough because what makes the game unique is not obvious in gameplay video. Being able to pick up and be competent with multiple characters in a day is a game changer for me but that aspect doesn't really come through in video.

I agree there are some rough corners in terms of art and feel (it's definitely an early access game) but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I played this at PAX and thought it was pretty fun but without a community behind it, I can't see myself buying it
I haven't had trouble finding matches.

Chris Sirlin
Heh

Draxal

Sounds and looks cool. I was always disappointed that Rising Thunder disappeared and this seems to pick up for it. Wonder if the name is doing them no favors though. "Fantasy Strike" sounds like some mobile F2P thing. Even knowing what it is I still have to sort of 2nd guess for a split second when I see it before remebering "oh it's that fighting game".

This is actually based off a board game.

http://yomi.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Yomi_base_set_characters

Also the FGC has a huge stigma against Chris Sirlin, partially because he has a reputation of being a huge asshole and also because a lot of people hated the way he balanced SF2 HD Remix. I've also heard people say he's done some really unsavory stuff but I personally can't verify that. I can't help but think that Sirlin's reputation is actively hurting this game that FGC people would totally play otherwise.

Ayup, I recall his boardgame company was pretty unsavory as well.

K.Sabot

Just picked this up, hope to play some soon. Really wish the animations were a little cleaner, would have helped to not so janky during the fig campaign.

Top Bottom