• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Strike (simplified fighting game) Pre-Alpha build free-to-play wknd live now

BiggNife

It's been a while since RT, but I'd really love to hear that dev further explain how RT has any different emphasis on learning animations than Fantasy Strike. IMO they both equally have situations where only quicker normals can punish certain normals/specials, situations where different moves have different startup times and you can tell by the animation, same with recovery frames... etc.

And if it's not equal, I'd say more emphasized in RT because you had to recognize lows and overheads based on their startup animations... while this game only has stand blocking.

In all honesty, they probably have canned answers to RT comparisons because they probably get them a lot and know they're unavoidable lol.

Yeah, tbh, it sounded kind of BS to me. And yeah, I think they were sick of RT comparisons, considering the guy literally started his explanation by saying "This is why RT is bad and our game is good." It was kind of weirdly aggressive considering RT doesn't even exist anymore.

Zissou

Am I the only one getting a stuttery mess on netplay? I even tried turning everything down/off. Damn near lost my shit, this game is quite nice to play but I can't fucking play it if lag is going to be eating inputs.

Smooth for me for the most part.

I actually laughed out loud when I picked the ghost stand dude for practice. Like, just how god damn blatant can you get with the ripping off?

Blade25

Rook is OP; one button SPD with 2 armor yea.. His rush move has armor and his special has multiple armor hits as well. And has the tools to beat projectiles. Plus the difference between Rook's (and Midori's) health is nearly double of the other characters. I know hes not the fastest but you can kill the "Rush" archtypes in two guesses. He's going to get changed

Rook is OP; one button SPD with 2 armor yea.. His rush move has armor and his special has multiple armor hits as well. And has the tools to beat projectiles. Plus the difference between Rook's (and Midori's) health is nearly double of the other characters. I know hes not the fastest but you can kill the "Rush" archtypes in two guesses. He's going to get changed

Yeah the difference in health I understand because they are bigger slower character but it's too much more.

Shin

Banned
The game is really beautiful in motion, somethings look very MvC3 like (fonts).
Presentation isn't bad to be honest and to be frank the art style is better than SFV IMO.
I'll hook up a joypad after the delivery man gets here with my package, got my ass handed to me with the KB.

Zissou

He's like grapplers in most games- early on, he seems too good, but once people know how to play around the grab and deal with armor, he gets progressively worse.

Blade25

He's like grapplers in most games- early on, he seems too good, but once people know how to play around the grab and deal with armor, he gets progressively worse.

Agreed, I still think he can be very deadly. After having a frustrating match against Grave as Rook I've moved on to Jaina. The amount of arrow spamming that can be done with her is ridiculous. On top of having a pseudo mix-up game and and an invincible wake up (although it damages you) can be frustrating to deal with. (just as I type this up I lose against Rook as Jaina -_-)

I'm enjoying this game thanks op for the heads up on this. I will most likely pledge the game. I hope the game will be successful.

I know we are in the pre-alpha stages but I hope they do add more damage to the yomi counter since it is a high-risk/high reward situation. Sometimes doing a yomi counter and only doing 1 dmg kinda sucks.

vg260

Just played it for a few minutes.

I thought it had some nice visual charm and potential. It looked very colorful and fun, which is key to getting more casual players to try it.
I thought Valerie was a fun character idea and I liked the idea and her rainbow moves.

I wrote it off initially, but I'm interested in following development (if it gets funded).

I'm not really sold enough to back it though.

Shin

Banned
The characters need more moves, it's too limited even for casuals (hopefully it was just for this trial/beta).

FinKL

I think the game's fine, very Rising Thunder esque where most characters have a gimmick and you'll need to fight around it. For example, I just fought a Valerie and she can crossup on a dive & rush attack so you need to mentally prepare for it.

Thinking I'll chip in, though the dev also advertises this as a fighting game you could play with your kids. I don't know, I grew up on SF and learning the specials for each character was magical, one button specials definitely detracts away from that manual dexterity learning.

Btw, they extended the beta because they put out a new version you'll have to download to play others.

Now that the free (extended) weekend is over, I figured I'd check the game's fig campaign and see how it's doing...

7s00t8Y.png

Not looking good, considering the weekend when most people would hear of and play the game for the first time is now over.

But my understanding is that they're guaranteed the "Fig Funds" (a.k.a. investment money) regardless of whether or not the campaign meets its goal? Meaning the pledge money is the only thing they don't get? So at least they'll get some form of funding then, plus the ~$3k they're getting per month from Patreon.

I hope they're still able to add all the modes and polish they were planning to, without having to push the release too far back. It would be pretty cool for this game to exist in a complete state alongside the more serious fighters already out and coming out next year. That is... unless Riot begins showing whatever they have the Rising Thunder team working on and it's F2P with Riot marketing vs. this game being ~$30 (going by the fig campaign rewards), swallowing this game whole.

FinKL

I checked the funding too, and it's a shame.

The game works, there is character variety, there's depth, and online match-matching seems to work with the occasional bad game/connection.

I was constantly playing a match in between my match making for Heroes of the Storm and I loved how lightweight/fast the game is. Load up a game, find match, play match.

I only played Jaina and took Valerie to training mode for a few minutes to figure out frame data since nearly everyone was Valerie (she's + on nearly everything). Keeping out the rush down characters is pretty hard with Jaina, but you do have an invincible DP but sacrifice 1 bar of life every time you use it.

Biggest con is the sound, there's no voices. Also facial animations non existant so when the character is on the ground defeated, it's the same face as if they were fighting lol.

I'm surprised the demo was already so polished and the release date isn't until next year late 2018

Also, because I was so lazy to plug my stick OR controller, I used keyboard and it operates just fine. I just had to bind Jump to Up and use Attack (K), Special (L), Special 2 (;) and I was set.

Ferrio

Banned
I think they need to go back to the drawing board, the game seems very unoriginal and honestly not fun. I was watching Max stream it the other day to see what he'd think of it, and they just looked bored. You play the game for like 30 minutes and it feels like you've seen everything it's capable of. Not to mention the characters are bland, and rip off so many animations from other games.

The game could probably use crouching.

I feel like these simplified fighters could maybe use a system where you have a modifier to hold down for specials.

Like imagine the layout that some games like BB/MvC3, and Injustice (kind of) use

WMKqsYa.png

Where you have 3 attacks and a character special button/launcher button in MvC3.

You could have it so holding "D" and pressing A, B, or C is your specials.

That's 15 normals (3 strengths of neutral, towards, away, jumping, and crouching), and 3 ground specials, up to 3 air specials, and more if you have towards/away/crouch give you different ones.

Map the special modifier to a trigger on controller, and the position above on keyboard/stick.

On controller, you could even put a jump button like this game has, if you think it would help. Debatably block on a button would be more easy for new players too, since reacting to crossups can be hard.

If you tasked me with making the most easy accessible entry level fighter I could, I'd do it like this

And even then I'd include crouching and regular throw breaks.

DunpealD

I think they need to go back to the drawing board, the game seems very unoriginal and honestly not fun. I was watching Max stream it the other day to see what he'd think of it, and they just looked bored. You play the game for like 30 minutes and it feels like you've seen everything it's capable of. Not to mention the characters are bland, and rip off so many animations from other games.

I have no idea what this game is, except that Sirlin is behind it.

But calling it unoriginal seems kinda modest.

FinKL

They are doing another Free Weekend! Probably because their crowdfunding barely moved at all after the first.

http://www.fantasystrike.com/freeweekend

The game is super lightweight, quick to download, and pretty easy to get into. Yeah a lot of stuff is shamelessly copied, but for quick bouts this scratches my fighting game itch vs something like SFV that takes forever to get into games.

LordKasual

Banned
Played 2 weekends ago with some friends between Uniel and SF

Rook is fucking stupid

The ninja girl is also stupid as hell

The game is surprisingly really fun though. If it doesn't get quickly figured out made stale, i may actually waste some time on it

Top Bottom