• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The tutorial blurb asked me if I was RETARDED. Wtf, I'm loving this game, the '80s fanservice and its humor but I feel that is pushing it and borderline offensive to some people (I've got a thick skin, so I didn't mind but I was kinda taken aback to see that, iirc Nintendo had to recall Mario Party 8 in the UK for something similar).
Is that a mistranslation (game was in Italian) or it stays the same in English?

LiK

Not that I'm aware of. It does get repetitive, but it's a small price to pay for an awesome game.

I stopped looting after once I maxed out hearts. Kinda wish the hearts did more.

The tutorial blurb asked me if I was RETARDED. Wtf, I'm loving this game, the '80s fanservice and its humor but I feel that is pushing it and borderline offensive to some people (I've got a thick skin, so I didn't mind but I was kinda taken aback to see that, iirc Nintendo had to recall Mario Party 8 in the UK for something similar).
Is that a mistranslation (game was in Italian) or it stays the same in English?

I do not remember "retarded" being used at all. I think they used the word "idiot" in English. Must be a translation thing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I stopped looting after once I maxed out hearts. Kinda wish the hearts did more.

I do not remember "retarded" being used at all. I think they used the word "idiot" in English. Must be a translation thing.

Oh wow. What a sorry excuse of a localization then, terrible job on the Italian LT Lead's part.

Oh wow. What a sorry excuse of a localization then, terrible job on the Italian LT Lead's part.

In the credits the Italian translation team had like 4 people (including voice actors), the rest of the languages had huge teams. I thought it was weird, but it looks like they went cheap for the Italian version.

Don't you potentially get ammo and money when you loot as well, though? Or can you get that by simply running over the bodies?

Yeah you get more ammo and money from looting so you shouldn't stop just because you have 99 hearts. Stealth kills are the best for auto-looting so you don't have to pat down the corpses.

Macmanus

Are the Blood Dragons finite? They feel like they are. Also this game is amazing. I never played FC2 or 3, so this is fairly fresh to me. Though it does feel a lot like Just Cause - though that isn't a bad thing.

ArjanN

It's loud and proud, baby.

Yeah. And Grindhouse wasn't really that smart either.

Are the Blood Dragons finite? They feel like they are. Also this game is amazing. I never played FC2 or 3, so this is fairly fresh to me. Though it does feel a lot like Just Cause - though that isn't a bad thing.

You can mostly clear out the island, but occasisonally a Blood Dragon wil respawn.
If you need more Blood Dragons to spawn for the achievement, save your game, quit to main menu, then continue your game, and fast travel to a garrison. 9 times out of 10 there will be a Blood Dragon near one of the exits.

Sorral

So I got the game from AMD and as much as I hate uPlay, I installed it along with the game.
But now AVG did this after I scanned my PC(Newly built under a month old):
6gLQi6duvXycJKLDY6dFQ003IkSxU.jpg

I wish that this thing would say what was 'corrupted' about it. Did anyone's anti-virus pick up the file as well or just mine? Searched online and didn't find anything similar about it.

Worst of all is that someone already tried (and was successful) to change my Origin's account PW (I'm thinking it is unrelated to this though). Too paranoid now and already changing my passwords everywhere. -_-

Erdrick

I am by no means a fan of any FPS game for the most part. I have also never played any FarCry game before this. I bought it because I wanted to see what this 80's nostalgia hype machine around this game was about, and in that sense, and most others, really, I was not let down. For 15 dollars, this was superb value. As a huge fan of Michael Biehn's work in film, his involvement kind of sealed the deal for me.

I just finished getting all the trophies in this game and it's been a fun weekend diversion. The game is genuinely funny at some points too, and I always love when games don't take themselves too seriously.

If they did a sequel to this, I'd buy it. Might even give FarCry 3 a shot now too, in the meantime to see how it compares.

ArjanN

So I got the game from AMD and as much as I hate uPlay, I installed it along with the game.
But now AVG did this after I scanned my PC(Newly built under a month old):

I wish that this thing would say what was 'corrupted' about it. Did anyone's anti-virus pick up the file as well or just mine? Searched online and didn't find anything similar about it.

Worst of all is that someone already tried (and was successful) to change my Origin's account PW (I'm thinking it is unrelated to this though). Too paranoid now and already changing my passwords everywhere. -_-

Isn't AVG known for giving false positives and generally sucking balls?

Bumhead

Banned
Finished this today.

Loved it.

That whole end sequence is one of the best endings to a game I've played in a long, long time. So, so funny.

Jrmint

Finally got this game today.

Wow so fun. But above and beyond that is the music, good lord the music in this game is incredible. Granted I was born in the early 80s so I really appreciate this kinda thing :).

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this there now, it's been a fantastic weekend playing Call Of Juarez Gunslinger and FC3 Blood Dragon

Just a load of fun from start to finish. Awful cheesy one liners which made me smile like a loon, good ol 80s tropes, Rex Colt, awesome weapons, no fall damage, fast run speed and awesome dragons. I easily enjoyed this more than the standard FC3 tbh. Also, that last mission lol

Great fun. I'm definitely a fan of these smaller $15/£10 experiences. Doesn't mean I want big open world games to disappear but these are great. They don't outstay their welcome either.

Some may hate me for saying this, but I feel this game could have benefited by being a bit linear. The collectibles and side missions were killer. They should have made weapons/unlocks similar to the way you unlocked the mini-gun, flame thrower, etc. by progressing through the story. When I finally got back on track... O M G such a blast. I wish I'd gotten here sooner.

Test your might
Killstar montage
Hilarious sex scene
Riding a mother effin' armored Blood Dragon with lasers!!

This game <3

Had to make one of my own too :D

http://todellisuus.net/~malakai/random/bdmd.jpg
printed on top of The Terminator, so you still get an awesome Michael Biehn game if you play it.

Dooooooppe

Danny 117

Bought this game with cheap MS points from the MS store screwup.

WOW. I've never had so much stupid fun with a game in a long time. It's just pure gameplay with a lot of very funny one liners and scenes.

IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZ0R!!1!

As soon as I got the killstar, shit got real.

What an amazing game at such an amazing price. I'm there day one for the inevitable sequel.

Macmanus

Uh... So this is the best video game I've played in a very long time. I never played Farcry 2 or 3 - but if more franchises give me bite sized stylized spin offs of their AAA content I will jump on board.

Seriously.

This game is amazing.

Some may hate me for saying this, but I feel this game could have benefited by being a bit linear. The collectibles and side missions were killer. They should have made weapons/unlocks similar to the way you unlocked the mini-gun, flame thrower, etc. by progressing through the story. When I finally got back on track... O M G such a blast. I wish I'd gotten here sooner.

Agreed. I loved the open world content - but when I completed it all and picked up the main mission OH MY GOD. SO GOOD.

this game was awesome. ending was crazy, loved the final battles and ending sequence. the enemy strongholds were really well designed and fun to play through. i shot a dude in the dick with the bow during a scientist-saving mission. loved it. A

Macmanus

I have a ninja star that shoots lasers. I get to ride a dragon that shoots lasers. The entire time I'm experiencing this I'm bombarded with amazing music and hilarious one liners.

Are there other games on the market this fun? Seriously. I want to know. I'll play them immediately.

raindoc

how do i get to the island in the south-east (during one of the main missions you fly a glider to and through it), after completing the game (gate is now closed and i can't find a way to climb up or dive in)?

EDIT: nevermind. it's empty.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Beat it last night and loved it the whole way through and stuck mainly to the core missions.

I recently saw Miami Connection, so that ending theme song killed me! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I am absolutely sick of first person shooters but the premise of this game is too ridiculous to pass. Sell me on it GAF, keep in mind though I couldn't finish Vanquish out of how bored I am of these games in general.

clav

Well this game was voted on Steam.

I was about to purchase it, but I read it requires Uplay to play.

Seriously?

WTF

DRM in DRM.

Looks like I will purchase the console version whenever it goes on sale.

That's just ridiculous.

Decided to start playing this again for some reason today...6 hours and 100% later I fucking loved it. The final 10 minutes I was almost crying from laughing,
the talking dragon was too much.
Would support the shit out of some sequel again.

Tomodachi

Necrobumping for dumb question, I'm trying to avoid spoilers: are this and FC3 related in any way, even small references and such? Not even a subtle hint?

Tacitus_

Necrobumping for dumb question, I'm trying to avoid spoilers: are this and FC3 related in any way, even small references and such? Not even a subtle hint?

Storywise? No. The game however references everything under the sun in some way, including the main character complaining about the mechanics of Ubisoft games.

Randam

got it from a german pc magazin.

controlls feel kinda weird imo.
or is it just me?
far cry 4 felt way better.

and is it on purpose, that the game seems to have scanlines?

I am also necroing for some help with this game, as Steam won't let me post a discussion thread.

I'm getting some absurd CPU temperatures, a good twenty degrees C higher than I get with almost any game, while running Blood Dragon. I'm quite surprised by this because I remember reports saying how well optimized this game is.

Also weirdly, there isn't any water being displayed in my game. At all, nothing in any river or in the ocean surrounding the area.

I'm running a GTX 960 with the latest drivers, and my CPU is AMD FX 8320 with no overclocking or additional modifications. As for specific Nvidia settings:

Alpha to Coverage: Enhanced
Ambient Lighting: High
Direct X 11
Display mode: Window Borderless
Environment: High
Geometry: Ultra
MSAA: 2
Post FX: Ultra
Shadow: Ultra
SSAO
Terrain: High
Textures: High
Vegetation: Very High
Water: Very High

Any help would be appreciated because this game is rad and I don't want to stop playing!

Top Bottom